ADVERTISEMENT

Ramsey article in Tribune

Richard would've been a star in Kalen's offense, not so much in Mike's offense. I think it's fair to assume that Kalen would've tapped into Richard's potential in a manner that Mike Debord never could. Just my opinion.

Richard was one of the toughest IU quarterbacks I've witnessed. He took some big shots here. His interceptions are what hurt the most and I feel like under Kalen Deboer's tutelage, he would've conquered those issues.
Couldn't agree more. I thought Richard threw some absolute strikes on posts & fades and obviously had a big arm. I thought he threw an inaccurate out-route. Would have loved to have seen him in Kalen's "quick throw to the slot" offense peppered in with his deep ball ability.

Reactions: td75 and vesuvius13
If Penix lights it up this year and we beat one of the big boys, will those on this string (& any of the father’s) finally day “okay, I get it, this kid is talented.” It’s so dumb to say “Allen treated him poorly” that it’s hardly even worth discussing. No one is guaranteed anything like playing time. But Allen could not have been more effusive of Ramsey last season.

mom going to not let this change my views of PR at all. Wish him well, hope NU season goes great, and he made a good decision for him. IU moves forward too and I am all in behind IU staff and Penix.
Who thinks Penix is not talented? Please name names.

If Penix gets hurt and doesn't play half the season and Ramsey leads his team to a winning record, will you finally get it then?

PR was the perfect backup. He wasn't going to lose you many games but wasn't going to win you many big games. His performance last year was consistent with this and not with beating Penix out as the starter at IU. PR would likely start at half of the BIG programs but not over Penix.
Peyton won enough games at IU to get us into a bowl.

How anyone who watched his performance at Nebraska and thinks he can't win big games - I can't understand that. Defense and Special Teams cost us any chance to win 'big' games this year. And our running game was average or below average this year.

He may be a perfect backup, but he's also a pretty damn good starter.

Last edited:

How anyone who watched his performance at Nebraska and thinks he can't win big games - I can't understand that. Defense and Special Teams cost us any chance to win 'big' games this year. And our running game was average or below average this year.

He may be a perfec backup, but he's also a pretty damn good starter.
Ramsey had a great 2019 season and he'll always be one of my all-time favorite Hoosiers. But no college head coach in his right mind would promise him the starting slot when Michael Penix is part of the equation. Penix is a special talent with a ceiling that has H-E-I-S-M-A-N written on it. Yes, his ability to stay healthy is a consideration and a concern, but that's true for every guy who plays the position. And, given the remarkable transformation of his body during the offseason, it looks like he's done everything possible to get bigger, stronger and more durable.

If Penix stays healthy, I believe Indiana will see its first 10 win season in school history before he moves on to the NFL.

Couldn't agree more. I thought Richard threw some absolute strikes on posts & fades and obviously had a big arm. I thought he threw an inaccurate out-route. Would have loved to have seen him in Kalen's "quick throw to the slot" offense peppered in with his deep ball ability.

Lagow simply had consistency issues with his release, and truthfully was lucky his INT numbers weren't worse. If it was going to be a bad throw, you could just see it the moment the ball left his hand. So its not like he was misjudging timing with the receiver or putting too much juice on the ball.

Lagow simply had consistency issues with his release, and truthfully was lucky his INT numbers weren't worse. If it was going to be a bad throw, you could just see it the moment the ball left his hand. So its not like he was misjudging timing with the receiver or putting too much juice on the ball.
His first pass in the Purdue game his Senior year was thrown to no one except a Purdue linebacker.

And we lost by 7, although he did bring us back from a huge deficit.

Reactions: vesuvius13
So haven't seen much of Penix, was injured whenever I turned on an IU game, what is it the eye test that gives everyone here a clear opinion he is way better than Ramsey? Stats look remarkably similar, even YPA which I assumed would be way better for Penix based on what I read here are pretty close. Mobility? He's a better rusher from the QB spot, but 110 yards in 6 games isn't gamebreaking. Curious, always thought PR was a very good QB.

So haven't seen much of Penix, was injured whenever I turned on an IU game, what is it the eye test that gives everyone here a clear opinion he is way better than Ramsey? Stats look remarkably similar, even YPA which I assumed would be way better for Penix based on what I read here are pretty close. Mobility? He's a better rusher from the QB spot, but 110 yards in 6 games isn't gamebreaking. Curious, always thought PR was a very good QB.
The MSU game did it for me.
Here's the 30 minute version if you've got the spare time

He might be a faster runner than Peyton, but Peyton seemed like a more natural scrambler to me. But watch that youtube video, the ball just flies out of MPs hand.

Reactions: Lillyr66
I'm calling "bullshit" on this one:

“To be honest with you, he is not leaving Indiana because he wasn’t going to be the starter,” Doug Ramsey said. “Peyton met with (coach) Tom Allen right before Christmas and was told he’d start. He’s not running away. He went into the portal because there were some things he didn’t have control over, some things I won’t get into.

“It was the right time for him to see what was out there.”

Dad has to say this stuff. Otherwise the truth is he's leaving because he wasn't going to start. Pretty simple. Massive grin!
Good luck to the kid. He no longer plays for us. Not interested in his drama.
Go Hoosiers!

Penix has a strong arm and reads defenses faster than Ramsey. Penix also moves in the pocket to avoid rush instead of bailing out like Ramsey did on a consistent basis. Defenses have to defend the entire field as Penix made cross field throws that Ramsey couldn't. Coach DeBoer adjusted the offense once Ramsey was the starting calling plays to his skills. Ramsey was much better in 2019 reading defenses and throwing mid range passes.

Penix has a strong arm and reads defenses faster than Ramsey. Penix also moves in the pocket to avoid rush instead of bailing out like Ramsey did on a consistent basis. Defenses have to defend the entire field as Penix made cross field throws that Ramsey couldn't. Coach DeBoer adjusted the offense once Ramsey was the starting calling plays to his skills. Ramsey was much better in 2019 reading defenses and throwing mid range passes.

Ditto, I agree. You look at his release and it’s a rocket leaving his hand. I think he’s got NFL talent potential.

Who thinks Penix is not talented? Please name names.

If Penix gets hurt and doesn't play half the season and Ramsey leads his team to a winning record, will you finally get it then?
Danc, why are you trying to find an argument where one doesn’t exist?

I didn’t say people said he wasn’t talented. I’m talking to the people who think Ramsey was wronged and he should be the starte, essentially skeptical that Penix is truly started worthy. If Penix has the year I believe he can (& will) will those Penix as starter doubters will they finally agree he is the real deal. Pretty simple set up and question.

maybe you’re one of them by your question if Penix is hurt and Ramsey leads NU to greatness will I agree Penix should not have been the starter?

it’s all hypothetical but I don’t think I’m looking backwards because I don’t think any player (unless they are a total superstar) is guaranteed to be a starter. PR chose to leave either bc not guaranteed he’d start or didn’t want competition or simply wanted a one year change and likely more likely to start.

Im not mad about that. I want him to crush next season, can’t wait to see him do well for NU. That is totally separate from my thinking Penix is the best choice to start. And I also think Tuttle could be a great back up with maybe more upside potential than Ramsey too if he lives up to his past 4-star rank.

It’s not a like or not like Ramsey question. I love him. But I also love Penix and Indonwant him as starter. So what? To me it’s a win/win for everyone next season which is great.

Get what? That PR left because he can't beat out Penix for the starting job? We all get that. We all got it last year. Kalen Deboer definitely got it when he gave the job to Penix. Plus, who cares what PR does at a different school, with different coaches, and different players? If Penix gets hurt, then we'll see Jack Tuttle play. He's our backup QB now. PR plays for a different school.

Ramsey had a great 2019 season and he'll always be one of my all-time favorite Hoosiers. But no college head coach in his right mind would promise him the starting slot when Michael Penix is part of the equation. Penix is a special talent with a ceiling that has H-E-I-S-M-A-N written on it. Yes, his ability to stay healthy is a consideration and a concern, but that's true for every guy who plays the position. And, given the remarkable transformation of his body during the offseason, it looks like he's done everything possible to get bigger, stronger and more durable.

If Penix stays healthy, I believe Indiana will see its first 10 win season in school history before he moves on to the NFL.

Spot on. PR's ceiling is starting as a SR at NW. Penix's ceiling is playing on Sunday's as a starter. Plus, as much of a warrior as PR was, he got hurt as a RS FR and missed the 2nd half of the season. Just like Penix did this year. PR had to hit the weights and get his body ready to make it through an entire season as a RS SO. Now Penix has been tasked with doing the same thing as a RS SO.

Danc, why are you trying to find an argument where one doesn’t exist?

I didn’t say people said he wasn’t talented. I’m talking to the people who think Ramsey was wronged and he should be the starte, essentially skeptical that Penix is truly started worthy. If Penix has the year I believe he can (& will) will those Penix as starter doubters will they finally agree he is the real deal. Pretty simple set up and question.

maybe you’re one of them by your question if Penix is hurt and Ramsey leads NU to greatness will I agree Penix should not have been the starter?

it’s all hypothetical but I don’t think I’m looking backwards because I don’t think any player (unless they are a total superstar) is guaranteed to be a starter. PR chose to leave either bc not guaranteed he’d start or didn’t want competition or simply wanted a one year change and likely more likely to start.

Im not mad about that. I want him to crush next season, can’t wait to see him do well for NU. That is totally separate from my thinking Penix is the best choice to start. And I also think Tuttle could be a great back up with maybe more upside potential than Ramsey too if he lives up to his past 4-star rank.

It’s not a like or not like Ramsey question. I love him. But I also love Penix and Indonwant him as starter. So what? To me it’s a win/win for everyone next season which is great.
You didn't say people didn't say he wasn't talented?

"If Penix lights it up this year and we beat one of the big boys, will those on this string (& any of the father’s) finally day “okay, I get it, this kid is talented.”"

I was just responding to it. Do you think people are saying the kid isn't talented? If not, why would you post something like that?

Get what? That PR left because he can't beat out Penix for the starting job? We all get that. We all got it last year. Kalen Deboer definitely got it when he gave the job to Penix. Plus, who cares what PR does at a different school, with different coaches, and different players? If Penix gets hurt, then we'll see Jack Tuttle play. He's our backup QB now. PR plays for a different school.
I thought it was pretty obvious what I meant. But for someone who dogged me relentlessly for saying Penix didn't have a shoulder injury, I'm not surprised you don't get it.

I thought it was pretty obvious what I meant. But for someone who dogged me relentlessly for saying Penix didn't have a shoulder injury, I'm not surprised you don't get it.

You ever wonder why you get so many confused responses back?

your new board name should really be:
“DANK the CRANK”

You ever wonder why you get so many confused responses back?

your new board name should really be:
“DANK the CRANK”
I wasn't responding to you.

But, since you asked, no I don't wonder why I get confused responses back. I just consider the source.

Reactions: sparkeyreturns
So the Tribune thinks Ramsey always should have been at Northwestern?

You mean Fitz went with the ratings instead of making his own judgement? Evidently Wilson is a better judge of QB talent than Fitzgerald.

Ramsey can comment any time on his decision - he's not bound to silence like the coaching staff, which is what the article implies. And Peyton hasnt said squat. Only Dad, who evidently has an axe to grind against Allen.

This pisses me off. All of IU Nation wishes Peyton well and then Dad has to be a jerk about it. It doesn't sour my feelings about Peyton, but why the need to do that?

Welcome to the age of transfers. A place where everyone turns into a little league parent and starts in on the coach for not using their kid as they would like. It’s all over the place, not just IU. I remember all the comments by Tommy Stevens’ dad. You have Nojel Eastern’s helicopter mom. Lavar Ball is right out of a reality show. It’s the age of social media where everyone gets their say.

I have to tell you, I sat down with my son after the abysmal bowl game in SF and I told him this was a defensive minded coach and that there were several things that concerned me. I asked him if he wanted to graduate and get out. I gave him the option. He refused and got benched for the newest shiny toy. So I am sure Ramsey looked at the same situation and was not going to take the risk.

Richard loved the school and his team mates so he stayed. The loyalty was not returned by Allen and now we pay the price. And once this type noise starts, it is hard to convince kids the coaches are loyal. Not saying they aren’t, but perception wins out over truth everyday.

The abysmal game in San Fran?
I was there. It was a close game and decided by 2 points and we had to bring in Zander Diamont to get a long pass completed. Richard had 21 incompletions.

Typical. You have no reply so you change the subject. PR left because he’d be a backup at IU. It’s that simple and there was nothing else to get. Your loaded question didn’t go as you wanted so you deflect. Gonna be tough for you when I keep actually replying with substance and this is all you can do.

Typical. You have no reply so you change the subject. PR left because he’d be a backup at IU. It’s that simple and there was nothing else to get. Your loaded question didn’t go as you wanted so you deflect. Gonna be tough for you when I keep actually replying with substance and this is all you can do.

Ol Danc has a set view and is then like a dog to a bone, can’t let go, reason or hear anything but “I’m right, end of story.”

Seems like he was mad about PR not being handed starting job, doesn’t think Penix deserved it and that Allen hosed PR via lack of loyalty. As opposed to Allen loved Ramsey, but has Penix rated higher, that PR made decisions for himself and most IU fans are rooting for him at NU AND also excited about future with Penix. Not sure what’s so controversial here but danc the crank likes to argue dammit!

Welcome to the age of transfers. A place where everyone turns into a little league parent and starts in on the coach for not using their kid as they would like. It’s all over the place, not just IU. I remember all the comments by Tommy Stevens’ dad. You have Nojel Eastern’s helicopter mom. Lavar Ball is right out of a reality show. It’s the age of social media where everyone gets their say.
Yeah, dads of college quarterbacks - - including those associated with IU - - seem to be particularly outspoken. I guess that, after hearing for years how amazing your kid is, it's tough to ultimately come to grips with the fact that the kid isn't going to be the next Peyton Manning and may actually have to get a 9 to 5 job.

Ol Danc has a set view and is then like a dog to a bone, can’t let go, reason or hear anything but “I’m right, end of story.”

Seems like he was mad about PR not being handed starting job, doesn’t think Penix deserved it and that Allen hosed PR via lack of loyalty. As opposed to Allen loved Ramsey, but has Penix rated higher, that PR made decisions for himself and most IU fans are rooting for him at NU AND also excited about future with Penix. Not sure what’s so controversial here but danc the crank likes to argue dammit!
Well, Bruce, unlike you, I consider my position and don't flap my gums to have validation on a football forum like you do.

You're the one who said some people in this thread - your words - would finally have to 'admit' Penix is talented. Nobody has ever thought otherwise, yet when someone points that out, they're just bitter?

You're a weird little man.

I liked the writer’s injection of his own spin on things “Where he was always supposed to be.”

What? They didn’t offer him the first time around. Last year, it was Hunter Johnson who wound up where “he was always supposed to be” until he got thrown around like a rag doll out there and fell out of favor.

Did Peyton Ramsey ever issue a statement about his leaving Indiana? That’s a pretty standard thing. Recruits who decommit even do it.

Reactions: red hornet

He may be a perfect backup, but he's also a pretty damn good starter.

But he won't give you the chance in big games that MP will, Neb was a game they should have won.

Well, Bruce, unlike you, I consider my position and don't flap my gums to have validation on a football forum like you do.

You're the one who said some people in this thread - your words - would finally have to 'admit' Penix is talented. Nobody has ever thought otherwise, yet when someone points that out, they're just bitter?

You're a weird little man.
Ok Cranky, and who is Bruce?

never mind, in spirit of Covid-19, moving on from this no -debate! Stay safe and wash hands!

Penix doesn't give us a chance when he's out with an injury.

Respectfully, what is your point? Peyton Ramsey left IU for Northwestern because he was able to assess the situation from the inside and figure out that he was going to be sitting on the bench. I don’t think that can be reasonably disputed. My guess is that he was told could be a starter but he might be third string.

Peyton Ramsey redshirted his first year at Indiana because he was not good enough to play. And in the second year he played in nine games before finishing the season with an injury. Penix might’ve been a starter his freshman year but he got injured early. And it is second year he was the starter for the first 6 games before he was injured.

He finished the season hitting 69% of his passes. Against Michigan State he had three touchdown passes, ran for a touchdown and completed 20 passes in a row for Indiana school record. And right now he’s bigger, faster, stronger and has a much better arm than Peyton Ramsey.

Peyton’s thank you note to Indiana specifically mentioned his teammates and his new coach at Northwestern but there was no mention at all about the Indiana coaching staff.

Right now I would say that the glass is completely full. Your view seems to be yes it might be completely full but it might fall off the table and break.

He had enough to now hold several of IU’s all time records despite only playing a full season and a half, and facing some pretty good teams. Like you, I too could tell if his feet were not settled and if he was not using his hips, I always corrected those issues when I coached him (6’6” kids have to constantly work on the mechanics and because they don’t come around often coaches sometimes fail to recognize the issue) and I put those issues on poor coaching. Those were little issues the coaches should have easily handled but for some reason they were frozen and did not act. And, if you look at the int’s against teams like Nebraska, like every qb he had some help with the ints.

You know what, every time I make a post you seem to act like a prick and attack. It doesn’t matter what it is about. I am not sure if your mother didn’t let you nurse long enough or if your daddy dismissed you as someone else’s, but you have a serious issue you should address.

the SF game was horrible. If you knew anything remotely about what was happening in the background you would shut the hell up. Our OC was gone, the team was poorly prepared, we had a new head coach who had never coached at that level, Richard had a hernia he had played with since the WIN against Michigan State and would later have surgery to repair, and the whole program was struggling.

but hey, for a guy like you who spends hours a day waiting to try and convince strangers he knows something, anything, this is surely your board and your domain and apparently others put up with your ignorance.

So you go on about your meaningless petty life hiding on boards and trying to convince someone you have a social worth. I was trying to relay to people that there are ways to create great teams and loyalty is huge, but you won’t understand. It is tough for big mac sofa people like you to understand, that is the only reason people on this board put up with your anonymous cowardly input, they understand you are an infant mentally deficient coward.

Yes, there were incompletions. Yes, we lost by a field goal...again. And these kids sit down at the end of a season and they decide if they got enough in return for their effort and blood, and they make decisions. And if they have not seen loyalty for leadership from the coaching staff they often decided they don’t need to be loyal. Richard made his choice, Peyton made his choice, Cronk made his, and your momma made her choice not to abort. We don’t all understand the choices, but we aren’t them. I mean, how bad does a person’s life have to be where she would consider raising such a bitter, vindictive, and stupid person like you? You just never know.
You're embarrassing yourself.

Ramsey took hits last year that would put normal QBs on the sideline.

There is no question about PR's durability. You can't say the same about Penix.

Are you PR's dad's ghost account or something? Or do you just get mad beyond belief if people don't agree with your takes?

Peyton transferred! If you think he was so wronged, what's keeping you from now being a NU fan for next year only or boycotting IU until Allen leaves if you feel he wronged him so?

Yes Penix has been injured two seasons in a row, but he's also shown signs of possible NFL talent. He's also put on about 17 lbs and will only be a RS soph next year. Allen & coaches are there day to day and felt he gave the team the biggest upside. Either you let the coaches coach or you think you are a better assessor of things than them, but unfortunately you're not the one with the 7-yr contract, Tom Allen is.

YOU not others, have been beating the drum now on multiple posts about this topic. The ship sailed. Tom Allen is willing to live with his decisions so you either need to as well as an IU fan or you can continue to be angry about it and stay living in the past. What is your beef now? PR has transferred!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT