ADVERTISEMENT

Raise your hand if you changed your party identification sometime in your lifetime.

We need more people thinking the way you are here and fewer thinking the way toasted is.

The person on this earth I love more than any other is a Democrat. Politics had absolutely nothing to do with my decision to marry her. We've had our share of discussions about political issues -- and, more often than not, we don't agree. It's no big deal and it's never, ever led to any kind of a fight.....that would suggest that our opinions (at that moment, anyway) meant more to us than each other. I respect her opinions and she respects mine -- but, more than that, we simply respect each other enough to not let our disagreements take precedence over our relationship.

Not only do I also have gobs of friends who are Democrats, my business partner is. And, there too, it's never interfered with what we're doing together.

Taking politics to a level of personal enmity is how civil wars get started.

Plenty of good people are republicans. The decent republicans on here did not vote for Trump, or they have since defected. No good person intentionally voted for a racist, and continued to support him, unless they are stupid or brainwashed.

Reactions: TheVegasHoosier
Plenty of good people are republicans. The decent republicans on here did not vote for Trump, or they have since defected. No good person intentionally voted for a racist, and continued to support him, unless they are stupid or brainwashed.

Well, I'm glad to know that I'm not "decent" in your eyes -- not that I really care what anybody thinks.

That said, an election is for all intents and purposes a binary choice. If it wasn't, I might have a little more sympathy for what you're saying. Moreover, they're far less about personalities than they are outcomes -- in policy, the makeup of the courts, and the like.

I've never hidden my disdain for Donald Trump as a person. He was, easily, my last choice among the Republican primary contenders -- not only because of his temperament and such, but because he's not where I am ideologically. But, in terms of what I would expect in terms of these outcomes, I've never seen any reason why somebody of my disposition was better served not voting or voting for Hillary or whatever.

Reactions: stollcpa
I don't know what they read. You have a problem?
What problem?

The few military people I know are all Trump supporting, and constantly sharing breitbart, infowars, and other alt-right memes on social media, thus I inquired if your military colleagues/acquaintances are also avid breitbart readers?

Well, I'm glad to know that I'm not "decent" in your eyes -- not that I really care what anybody thinks.

That said, an election is for all intents and purposes a binary choice. If it wasn't, I might have a little more sympathy for what you're saying. Moreover, they're far less about personalities than they are outcomes -- in policy, the makeup of the courts, and the like.

I've never hidden my disdain for Donald Trump as a person. He was, easily, my last choice among the Republican primary contenders -- not only because of his temperament and such, but because he's not where I am ideologically. But, in terms of what I would expect in terms of these outcomes, I've never seen any reason why somebody of my disposition was better served not voting or voting for Hillary or whatever.

Would you have voted for Trump against Clinton, if he was a registered KKK member, all else remaining the same?

What problem?

The few military people I know are all Trump supporting, and constantly sharing breitbart, infowars, and other alt-right memes on social media, thus I inquired if your military colleagues/acquaintances are also avid breitbart readers?
You have prejudiced views about a lot of people. You're kind of like every racist I've ever met in that way. You should get out more.

Would you have voted for Trump against Clinton, if he was a registered KKK member, all else remaining the same?

I don't know. But that's a pointless hypothetical. He's, you know, not a registered KKK member. I will say that, if I thought his intention was to implement racist policies -- that these "outcomes" I'm talking about were something akin to, say, Jim Crow America -- then I would not have voted for him.

Because, again, what I'm focused on is far less the person whose name is on the ballot than what it is we're likely to end up with. Politicians come and go. But the impacts of what they leave behind can be quite durable and profound.

I voted for him because of an expectation that what we'd be left behind with is, for me, preferable to what we'd have been left behind with if Hillary had been elected. It really had very little to do with the personalities themselves.

FTR, I don't think that Donald Trump is a racist. He's been in the public eye for decades -- and, because he runs as an immigration hardliner, he's suddenly a racist? I think, more than anything, he's a narcissistic performance artist. I'm not a fan of his and I never have been -- long before he got into politics.

Not all Republicans are like that. I know a lot of good people that are Republicans. We can talk about our political disagreements in a friendly way. I wish the Cooler was like that.

Yet they consistently vote for people who are like that. While maybe not "every single republican", they always manage to find enough to elect these people, so I feel comfortable saying it's a majority of them.

I don't know. But that's a pointless hypothetical. He's, you know, not a registered KKK member.

It's not a pointless hypothetical because he actually IS a racist. There is really no difference whether or not he is an established member of an actual racist organization. Racist is racist. I could never support a racist, no matter their other "policies". That's on you.

How much evidence do you need before you call a kettle black?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/donald-trump-racist-examples_us_56d47177e4b03260bf777e83

It's not a pointless hypothetical because he actually IS a racist. There is really no difference whether or not he is an established member of an actual racist organization. Racist is racist. I could never support a racist, no matter their other "policies". That's on you.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/donald-trump-racist-examples_us_56d47177e4b03260bf777e83

You just think that because his father was arrested at a Klan rally. We all know you can't assume the son will be anything like his father. Well, unless you're black, with a funny name, and only met your father once. Then all bets are off on whether or not you're exactly like your father.

Reactions: toastedbread
FTR, I don't think that Donald Trump is a racist. He's been in the public eye for decades -- and, because he runs as an immigration hardliner, he's suddenly a racist?

You're so right. His getting sued for refusing to rent to black people had nothing to do with racism.

His being King Birther had nothing to do with racism too.

Same when he said a judge couldn't be fair simply because he had a Mexican background.

Or refusing to call neo-Nazi's names like he does with everyone else he hates.

No racism in any of that.

Reactions: toastedbread
You just think that because his father was arrested at a Klan rally. We all know you can't assume the son will be anything like his father. Well, unless you're black, with a funny name, and only met your father once. Then all bets are off on whether or not you're exactly like your father.
Why would you assume a black person would only meet his father once?

Meh. I gather than what you consider a racist and what I consider a racist are very different things, toasted.

I wouldn't support a racist agenda. And I don't think Trump's agenda is racist (and, for that matter, I don't think he is either....in fact, I don't think Donald Trump's terribly genuine about much of anything other than his love of Donald Trump).

In fact, race has virtually nothing to do with anything that motivates me politically. For some people, race seems to be the end-all, be-all. For me, it's a distraction -- particularly most of the things that tend to animate the aforementioned people. You're certainly free to disagree with that. But don't expect that, because you do, everybody else must as well.

Meh. I gather than what you consider a racist and what I consider a racist are very different things, toasted.

I wouldn't support a racist agenda. And I don't think Trump's agenda is racist (and, for that matter, I don't think he is either....in fact, I don't think Donald Trump's terribly genuine about much of anything other than his love of Donald Trump).

In fact, race has virtually nothing to do with anything that motivates me politically. For some people, race seems to be the end-all, be-all. For me, it's a distraction -- particularly most of the things that tend to animate the aforementioned people. You're certainly free to disagree with that. But don't expect that, because you do, everybody else must as well.

I'm not motivated by identity politics, but if you can't recognize that Trump is racist, I doubt we will ever see eye to eye on anything.

I'm not motivated by identity politics, but if you can't recognize that Trump is racist, I doubt we will ever see eye to eye on anything.

I know racists -- they're really not terribly hard to spot. And while I certainly have my share of qualms about Donald Trump's character -- not to mention his personality -- that he's a racist isn't one of them.

But, here again, what I'm most concerned about are policy outcomes. I'm pretty sure that 4 (or 8) years of Donald Trump aren't going to be putting us back in the Greensboro lunch counter days (or anything equivalent). But government very much is dealing with some very, very weighty issues that don't have much, if anything, to do with race. And it's these things which concern me -- and, quite frankly, that I'd like to see kept out of the hands of left-wing (even center-left) policymakers.

What, exactly, does a person have to do for you to consider him a racist?

I dunno...be one.

But, I guess you aren't hearing me -- I'm not motivated, one way or another, by race. My thoughts on immigration policy have nothing to do with race. I'm not a "white nationalist" or otherwise engaged in identity politics of any kind. My thoughts on fiscal policy have nothing to do with race.

I'm concerned about other things, Vegas. That doesn't mean everybody has to be. If you're motivated by race, then that's fine -- you're entitled to be motivated by whatever you want. Some people are motivated by social policies -- abortion, sexuality, and the like. I'm also not very motivated by those things. Big whoop.

If I was worried about a Trump presidency returning us to the Jim Crow era, then it would be a different matter. But I'm not...at all.

Reactions: stollcpa and Lucy01
I dunno...be one.

But, I guess you aren't hearing me -- I'm not motivated, one way or another, by race. My thoughts on immigration policy have nothing to do with race. I'm not a "white nationalist" or otherwise engaged in identity politics of any kind. My thoughts on fiscal policy have nothing to do with race.

I'm concerned about other things, Vegas. That doesn't mean everybody has to be. If you're motivated by race, then that's fine -- you're entitled to be motivated by whatever you want. Some people are motivated by social policies -- abortion, sexuality, and the like. I'm also not very motivated by those things. Big whoop.

If I was worried about a Trump presidency returning us to the Jim Crow era, then it would be a different matter. But I'm not...at all.

So merely talking and acting racist isn't enough for you? You are a 5th avenue type? Would shooting an Asian on 5th avenue, while shouting "Die Chink" be enough for you? Or it's just a matter of keep your blinkers on and just focus on "policy, policy, policy?" Where is your red line?

Well, I was talking specifically about the republican obsession with Obama and his father, whom he reportedly only met once. My fault.

I didn't think it was an attempt at humor. It's an accurate reflection of the racial, vile crap that was thrown at Obama by members of the other party.

It is for gays/transgenders.

He wants them banned from the military and if Trump/Pence had their way, every business in America could put up "No Gays Allowed" signs in their store windows.

And I put up a link the other day that 16%, IIRC, of Americans think blacks shouldn't be able to marry whites.

That's not a tiny number.

I don't know. But that's a pointless hypothetical. He's, you know, not a registered KKK member. I will say that, if I thought his intention was to implement racist policies -- that these "outcomes" I'm talking about were something akin to, say, Jim Crow America -- then I would not have voted for him.

Because, again, what I'm focused on is far less the person whose name is on the ballot than what it is we're likely to end up with. Politicians come and go. But the impacts of what they leave behind can be quite durable and profound.

I voted for him because of an expectation that what we'd be left behind with is, for me, preferable to what we'd have been left behind with if Hillary had been elected. It really had very little to do with the personalities themselves.

FTR, I don't think that Donald Trump is a racist. He's been in the public eye for decades -- and, because he runs as an immigration hardliner, he's suddenly a racist? I think, more than anything, he's a narcissistic performance artist. I'm not a fan of his and I never have been -- long before he got into politics.
There are many examples of Trump being racist long before he decided to run for office.

I know racists -- they're really not terribly hard to spot. And while I certainly have my share of qualms about Donald Trump's character -- not to mention his personality -- that he's a racist isn't one of them.

But, here again, what I'm most concerned about are policy outcomes. I'm pretty sure that 4 (or 8) years of Donald Trump aren't going to be putting us back in the Greensboro lunch counter days (or anything equivalent). But government very much is dealing with some very, very weighty issues that don't have much, if anything, to do with race. And it's these things which concern me -- and, quite frankly, that I'd like to see kept out of the hands of left-wing (even center-left) policymakers.
Nope, it's just making it ok for racists to come out of the closet and spew their hatred. We are seeing it more and more, all the way down to elementary classrooms. Guess that's not a concern?

Nope, it's just making it ok for racists to come out of the closet and spew their hatred. We are seeing it more and more, all the way down to elementary classrooms. Guess that's not a concern?

Oh, I'd say it's a concern -- but I certainly wouldn't say it's anything new. I also wouldn't say that it's been made ok.

We have bigger fish to fry. That's not to say there's no longer any racism or anything like that. But it's nowhere near the kind of problem some seem to think it is. And it certainly ought not be such a prime focus in our society.

For crying out loud, I'm now reading stories about public displays of cotton being regarded as racist. Isn't that a sign that maybe we've taken this a bit too far? I don't know -- maybe you don't. But, for me, it's something I pretty much tune out.

Oh, I'd say it's a concern -- but I certainly wouldn't say it's anything new. I also wouldn't say that it's been made ok.

We have bigger fish to fry. That's not to say there's no longer any racism or anything like that. But it's nowhere near the kind of problem some seem to think it is. And it certainly ought not be such a prime focus in our society.

For crying out loud, I'm now reading stories about public displays of cotton being regarded as racist. Isn't that a sign that maybe we've taken this a bit too far? I don't know -- maybe you don't. But, for me, it's something I pretty much tune out.

BTW, before Donald Trump was a racist menace to American society, George W. Bush was. Before he was, George HW Bush was. Before him, it was Reagan. Before him....

Oh, and let's not forget the Tea Party. That entire movement is borne of thinly-veiled racism, doncha know.

As such, perhaps you can understand why I've never put much stock into the whole "You voted for (insert Republican politician here)? He's a RACIST!!!" routine. It's par for the course and the reason that Kinky Friedman, of all people, dismissed the contemporary Democratic Party this way:

The Texas Democrats have been nearly wandering in the desert forever. It’s not a matter of left or right. It’s a matter of, all they do is spend their time calling people racists.
He's exactly right about that.

Can't make up your mind, just oscillating? At least you didn't have to "travel" very much! ;)

Some views changed, but things are more weighted by specific policies at various points. I'll never be stupid enough to vote or form opinions along party lines like most.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT