ADVERTISEMENT

"Radical left" lady moves to progressive utopia; ends up in battle w/ teachers union

Real life smacks idealist in the face when she has to battle the machine she's long supported.

Teacher's unions are not ever on the side of students, families or education. They should be destroyed, IMHO.

teachers are on the side of students, that's why they went into teaching.

teachers unions represent teachers.

anyone insinuating this is a one sided issue, is being malevolent.

Real life smacks idealist in the face when she has to battle the machine she's long supported.

Teacher's unions are not ever on the side of students, families or education. They should be destroyed, IMHO.

Oh look what we have here...

More than a dozen Oakland elementary schools and preschools will not reopen as planned Tuesday after the majority, if not all, teachers at the sites opted not to return until required to do so in mid-April, despite an $800 incentive and prioritized vaccinations.

More than a dozen Oakland elementary schools and preschools will not reopen as planned Tuesday after the majority, if not all, teachers at the sites opted not to return until required to do so in mid-April, despite an $800 incentive and prioritized vaccinations.

Those teachers should be provided with termination papers. It’s beyond ridiculous.

Yeah, we're getting close to a Reagan-esque air traffic controller moment (obviously at the state level) before too long.
We also have the VP laughing hysterically when discussing struggling parents who aren't able to send their kids to school.

We also have the VP laughing hysterically when discussing struggling parents who aren't able to send their kids to school.
Yikes, not a good look. Politicians (for the most part) are woefully out of touch with everyday people. This isn't news. Somebody posted something on another thread about using a lottery to choose elected officials (like all registered voters or something). I don't think it could be worse than what we have.

I'm a dentist what a bunch of cowards teachers are, I've had aerosols blown in my face the past year, know how many of my staff got Covid19- ZERO. Bunch of pansys.

Reactions: Lucy01
I can’t begin to understand this. My grade schooler has always been in person 5x a week. Older kids have been 5x most all of the second semester. This is necessary for the kids and many parents. It can be done safely. There is no valid argument against in person school at this time IMO.
From the AP article: "White students continued to be far more likely to be back in the classroom, with 52% of white fourth graders receiving full-time, in-person instruction. By contrast, less than a third of Black and Hispanic fourth graders were back at school full time, along with just 15% of Asian students."

Important point in the school reopening debate

I'm all for having as many educational opportunities as possible, but not ongoing b/c of COVID-19. It makes sense to learn from the past year or so and use that knowledge in situations where distance is a problem (think Alaska, or other sparsely populated states/districts) or where providing online education provides value (think college).

My kid is 14 and is STILL doing hybrid every other day schooling. Preposterous.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Those families are neglecting the mental health of their kids and creating long-term problems for society.

No being flippant, but how would this type of educational model differ from homeschooling? By the way, I think not sending your kids to school is not in the best interest of the kids.

Reactions: UncleMark

I think a lot of people in politics are underestimating the political strength of this movement. There aren't many constituencies as large and motivated as parents trying to protect their kids. This goes way beyond Party or ideological affiliations.

Perhaps happiness would be a better measuring stick?
That's true.... it's just interesting how people define rich when talking in terms of money. To one person 1 million is rich, to another person it takes 2 million, etc. But to some it's anyone that has more money than they have. I was just razzing mm66 ... he's fun to pick on. :)

That's true.... it's just interesting how people define rich when talking in terms of money. To one person 1 million is rich, to another person it takes 2 million, etc. But to some it's anyone that has more money than they have. I was just razzing mm66 ... he's fun to pick on. :)
I was doing the same and money does make happiness easier with out a doubt. Time is the one thing you really can't buy so spending it all to have more money and by no means referring to M66 at all but in general.

After reading the article i concluded we have at least five groups reacting to Covid vaccinations and kids going back to school.

Hardly what you would call unity.

1. Anti vaccination/pro allowing kids back to school.
2. Pro vaccination/pro allowing kids back to school
3. Anti vaccination/anti allowing kids back to school
4. Pro choice on vaccinations/pro choice on going back to school
5.. Anti vaccinations/ pro choice on going back to school

Mind boggling.

It is not only complicated, but completely contaminated with political ideology and following some politicians.

Nobody anywhere is "anti allowing kids to go back to school"

Otherwise, yes... lots of division.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT