ADVERTISEMENT

Race Thompson = Daryl Thomas

I saw the comparison as soon as Race was healthy this season and battling hard inside.

If Race can have the kind of final 2 years DT had, those would be great production seasons and great improvement on his part.

Both guys first two seasons were oft injured.

Race is a better athlete. DT was a better basketball player, better post moves. Both asked a lot by coaches to play guys bigger than them inside.

Yes, and that thought had not jumped out at me, but you are correct. Now that said, to graduate like Daryl Thomas, Race needs to continue to improve each season because DT would eat him alive at this relatively young stage of Race's IU career.

Reactions: Rockport Zebra
Yes, and that thought had not jumped out at me, but you are correct. Now that said, to graduate like Daryl Thomas, Race needs to continue to improve each season because DT would eat him alive at this relatively young stage of Race's IU career.

Amazing that Darryl Thomas has been gone for 2 years.

I like Race. But when he gets an assist on "The Shot" 2.0, I will compare him to Darryl.

Am I wrong in seeing this comparison?
Thomas had a face up jumper from 10-15 feet that Thompson doesn’t yet have, but Thompson is a better athlete and probably a better rebounder. DT sneaky good offensively around the bucket, almost always against bigger players. Both smart players who give / gave great effort.

Reactions: channi and .Gerdis
Thomas had a face up jumper from 10-15 feet that Thompson doesn’t yet have, but Thompson is a better athlete and probably a better rebounder. DT sneaky good offensively around the bucket, almost always against bigger players. Both smart players who give / gave great effort.

of course there’s a recency bias when it come to DT. He got pushed around a lot when he was younger, playing out of position in the rugged B10. He didn’t exactly have a reputation for toughness, either physically or mentally. But, after going through some adversity (including playing for a tough coach who wasn’t exactly soft on him), he developed into a very tough player, both physically and mentally.

By his senior season he had tremendous footwork, and an uncanny ability to score in the post.

If i remember correctly, Thomas was several inches shorter than Race (6'8'' or 9"), but had a much thicker body build than Race.

DT was a big scorer i think. Race is a garbage guy
Right now he is playing in an offense that isn't designed to play through him and make him a big time scorer. Every Offense needs a guy who can get his opportunities on Offensive Rebounds, Running the Floor on Breaks, or causing turnovers. If he does all the little things on Offense like setting Screens creating space and maintaining spacing, he is just as valuable as the team's leading scorer.

DT's personal breakout year was '85-'86, his junior year. He was maybe 6'7" and playing center against guys much bigger every night. Great footwork, balance and an array of nifty shot fakes, he probably averaged 15/game.

When RMK signed Dean Garrett for the next season, Thomas moved down to guard quicker 4's and did a great job.

He was the 2nd leading scorer behind Alford's 22 ppg in '85-'86. Definitely an efficient scorer. I'd venture to say shot near 60% from the field those last 2 seasons.

I like Race. But when he gets an assist on "The Shot" 2.0, I will compare him to Darryl.
He’s got time because Daryl did that in his last game. Race is a better athlete and has the potential to be bettter.

If Race becomes as effective in years 3 and 4, as DT, then we will have a big time player on our hands. Let's not forget, while a slow first 2 years, DT came in as a McDonald's All-American. In today's parlance, a 5*.

Love Race, his improvement to date and potential. Hope he gets even close to DT's kinda final 2 season production.

Last edited:
If Race becomes as effective in years 3 and 4, as DT, then we will have a big time player on our hands. Let's not forget, while a slow first 2 years, DT came in as a McDonald's All-American. In today's parlance, a 5*.

Love Race, his improvement to date and potential. Hope he gets even close to DT's kinda final 2 season production.
Don’t forget their BB IQ. Plus for both. I also agree on toughness posts.

Reactions: 4IUSox2
Seemed like Thomas from the start had a decent touch around the basket. I haven't seen that as much from Thompson yet.

I'm hoping Race will start taking the open 3 point shot next year, he can hit it and that would help open up the offense. Hunter struggled at first and now seems to be hitting his groove. If Race started taking them early in the year I think he would be able to knock it down with confidence as the year goes on.

Reactions: T.M.P.
Race's jump in play at least give some hope moving forward. He doesn't have a high level offensive game just yet. He's more of a blue collar getting points on a put back and once a play breaks down... which happens too often for this team.

Sadly, Race's improvement comes with Brunk's disappearance. If you can get quality play from both to go with TJD, then you have something in the post.

ADVERTISEMENT