ADVERTISEMENT

Questions Up the Middle

Charlesroast

Freshman
Aug 4, 2013
The 2020 Hoosiers will have an interesting fall and early season. We have talent with retuning MLB draftees and new kids who were drafted or offered. Good baseball teams are solid “up the middle”, exactly where many of our question marks are located. We have a number of good arms, many young, but for the first time in years going into the fall there is no clear Friday starter. No catcher has caught a pitch at this level. We have had solid play in centerfield but Gorski and Kaletha are gone. Even though Walker left, I expect Macciocchi, perhaps Trinkle, will challenge Houston at shortstop. Ashley returns from a positive season at second, but he could fill another role in 2020.

I hope some practices are open and we have some good local exhibition games, so we can get a peak at how Coach Mercer and staff will attack these challenges heading into 2020.

Reactions: jb17
Catcher is going to be the key to our everyday defense. I'm confident Houston will have a very strong senior season and Ashley will probably stay at 2nd if Vecrumba is the real deal and claims CF. I feel like our young pitchers got a lot of good experience last year and will come into this season knowing exactly what it takes to be successful. Can't wait til Spring 2020!!

Reactions: RBB89
Catcher is going to be the key to our everyday defense. I'm confident Houston will have a very strong senior season and Ashley will probably stay at 2nd if Vecrumba is the real deal and claims CF. I feel like our young pitchers got a lot of good experience last year and will come into this season knowing exactly what it takes to be successful. Can't wait til Spring 2020!!

I feel good about everything I've read about Combs at Catcher. Now if he gets hurt.....we could have issues.

I don't expect any real competition at SS.....Jeremy's going to hit .230 but play excellent D.

I fully expect Richardson to play CF and Vecrumbra to start early on in RF (if not from Day 1).

To me, the only real question in the field is at 1st. The Samford transfer is listed as a 1st baseman, but started in RF the last 2 years....this past year because they had a stud frosh 1b man....He's a lefty....might he platoon at 1st with the Skrine kid (who has a reputation as a hitter), and is right-handed?

The other position at issue is DH. Could be the 'loser' of the 1st base battle. Or perhaps if Richardson is deemed not strong enough defensively in CF, he could stay in right, Van Pelt could play CF, and Vecrumbra could DH. That could have the advantage of making life easier for Vecrumbra as a freshman.......'just concentrate on hitting kid'...I don't think that we'll happen, because VP has no power....

Looking at the freshman, Nate Stahl might be a DH candidate.....I think the big, tall skinny guys like Deaton & Fischer will need a year to develop, and will RS.

Given the ? at first, and the lack of potential depth at DH, we might miss Scotty Bradley more than we think.............

Reactions: mk23
Hope you guys are right and all turns out well. I blew a great chance to go to CWS when Schwarber Travis et al made the trip and am anxious to make amends.

Just the number of new kids & late additions plus 3 grad transfers and 3 JC’s indicate things are unsettled going into fall ball. Recruiting the last few years of Coach Lemonis, especially the 18 grad class (the 19 season freshmen), was off & it shows now, IMO.

Catching is a major question mark, and ironically the recruiting there seemed pretty good if not deep. Holtz was highly regarded and didn’t pan out. Hopefully he rights his ship at Madison CC. We had another commitment for for last season Kurtis Byrne, who flipped to TCU, but now doesn’t appear in their 2019 stats or their 2020 roster. Before that we had Jake Metheny who started off well 3 seasons back but didn’t last the year and Wyatt Cross who did contribute. Recruiting can be a crap shoot. Holtz was the rated #2 coming out of Wisc. behind Alex Binelas, Byrne was Perfectgame’s #2 rated catcher, as was Cross when he came out of HS going to North Carolina.

Back in B’town I believe all 3 of our guys will play, Combs hit over 300 at Logan but some defensive stats raise some ?s, Hopkins had better defensive numbers but hit 200, Voth looks like a solid prospect but has some filling out to do and it is a big jump from HS at catcher.

Houston has always shown potential, Coach Lemonis likened him to UL’s Corey Ray offensively, and he has made some great defensive plays at IU. However after hitting 232 as a FR he has fallen off to 206 and 210. Also his fielding percentage fell from 960-970 his first 2 years to 930 this year. Ideally shortstop should be a strong position, for example this year the Bloomgren kid at Michigan (2nd team All B1G as a So.), hit over 300, with over 45 RBI & a fielding percentage of 965. Bottom line I hope Jeremy has the year everyone thinks he has in him, but I don’t think you bring in a grad transfer and not plan to give him a good look. Either way let’s hope for a better year at short. BTW there were decent looking freshmen the past 2 years, Caleb Balgaard in 18 season and Sam Jones for this past this season. Caleb was on the team but played little if any in 18 and ultimately went JC. He now has committed to Old Dominion I believe. Jones was involved in the 18 fall practice but was not on the 19 roster. I do not know where he is now. I believe a wide open SS competition will begin in about a month and last into 2020.

Skrine is a tough kid who has really worked, I think his bat will get him PT this year. I hope his hard work pays off for him! Nonetheless I don’t think they brought Fucci in to join a suddenly overcrowded outfield room, he will get a good look at 1B IMO. Both grad transfers appear to have some links back to the current staff and I think they are somewhat known quantities with respect to potential and not flyers.

There are a lot of outfield options and I believe that will sort out and be a positive. It is great to have a prospect like Vercrumba. Garret Manous has jets and could get PT.

It’s baseball and pitching is key. We have a lot of good arms, do we have any who will be strong weekend starters? Bierman and Sommer are gritty kids who had many good moments. Can they handle the grind?As the year went along Scott progressed. Franklin was highly regarded coming out of HS but didn’t see a lot of action. Who knows what Sharp could be after setting out a year then dominating in the State Tourney. He is an exciting prospect if for no other reason when was the last time we had a pitcher turn down draft $ out of HS. Hopefully Krueger is healthy and returns to early form and Manous can avoid the bad pitch that seemed to crop up at the most inopportune times last season. The list goes on, there will over 20 pitchers in camp this fall. Coach Parker can get solid pitching out of the group, if so, it would go a long way to having really nice team next May/June.

Hopeful. Mixing all this together and having a successful year following last year’s B1G regular season championship would bode well for a bright future with this staff. I am confident in the long run but at my age anxious for quick success.

Reactions: jb17, mk23 and 82IU
Hope you guys are right and all turns out well. I blew a great chance to go to CWS when Schwarber Travis et al made the trip and am anxious to make amends.

Just the number of new kids & late additions plus 3 grad transfers and 3 JC’s indicate things are unsettled going into fall ball. Recruiting the last few years of Coach Lemonis, especially the 18 grad class (the 19 season freshmen), was off & it shows now, IMO.

Catching is a major question mark, and ironically the recruiting there seemed pretty good if not deep. Holtz was highly regarded and didn’t pan out. Hopefully he rights his ship at Madison CC. We had another commitment for for last season Kurtis Byrne, who flipped to TCU, but now doesn’t appear in their 2019 stats or their 2020 roster. Before that we had Jake Metheny who started off well 3 seasons back but didn’t last the year and Wyatt Cross who did contribute. Recruiting can be a crap shoot. Holtz was the rated #2 coming out of Wisc. behind Alex Binelas, Byrne was Perfectgame’s #2 rated catcher, as was Cross when he came out of HS going to North Carolina.

Back in B’town I believe all 3 of our guys will play, Combs hit over 300 at Logan but some defensive stats raise some ?s, Hopkins had better defensive numbers but hit 200, Voth looks like a solid prospect but has some filling out to do and it is a big jump from HS at catcher.

Houston has always shown potential, Coach Lemonis likened him to UL’s Corey Ray offensively, and he has made some great defensive plays at IU. However after hitting 232 as a FR he has fallen off to 206 and 210. Also his fielding percentage fell from 960-970 his first 2 years to 930 this year. Ideally shortstop should be a strong position, for example this year the Bloomgren kid at Michigan (2nd team All B1G as a So.), hit over 300, with over 45 RBI & a fielding percentage of 965. Bottom line I hope Jeremy has the year everyone thinks he has in him, but I don’t think you bring in a grad transfer and not plan to give him a good look. Either way let’s hope for a better year at short. BTW there were decent looking freshmen the past 2 years, Caleb Balgaard in 18 season and Sam Jones for this past this season. Caleb was on the team but played little if any in 18 and ultimately went JC. He now has committed to Old Dominion I believe. Jones was involved in the 18 fall practice but was not on the 19 roster. I do not know where he is now. I believe a wide open SS competition will begin in about a month and last into 2020.

Skrine is a tough kid who has really worked, I think his bat will get him PT this year. I hope his hard work pays off for him! Nonetheless I don’t think they brought Fucci in to join a suddenly overcrowded outfield room, he will get a good look at 1B IMO. Both grad transfers appear to have some links back to the current staff and I think they are somewhat known quantities with respect to potential and not flyers.

There are a lot of outfield options and I believe that will sort out and be a positive. It is great to have a prospect like Vercrumba. Garret Manous has jets and could get PT.

It’s baseball and pitching is key. We have a lot of good arms, do we have any who will be strong weekend starters? Bierman and Sommer are gritty kids who had many good moments. Can they handle the grind?As the year went along Scott progressed. Franklin was highly regarded coming out of HS but didn’t see a lot of action. Who knows what Sharp could be after setting out a year then dominating in the State Tourney. He is an exciting prospect if for no other reason when was the last time we had a pitcher turn down draft $ out of HS. Hopefully Krueger is healthy and returns to early form and Manous can avoid the bad pitch that seemed to crop up at the most inopportune times last season. The list goes on, there will over 20 pitchers in camp this fall. Coach Parker can get solid pitching out of the group, if so, it would go a long way to having really nice team next May/June.

Hopeful. Mixing all this together and having a successful year following last year’s B1G regular season championship would bode well for a bright future with this staff. I am confident in the long run but at my age anxious for quick success.

With regard to Combs, are you mostly worried about his % throwing out runners? I saw from the stats it wasn't very good; however, in the conference season of his second year he was 5/13, which was better.

He seems like a pretty athletic guy, so I would guess he'll do alright blocking low pitches, fielding bunts et al. I did see that he had 3 Es and 2 PBs this year....not great, but not horrible. We've been spoiled by RF I'm afraid.

I have a connection with one of the IU ptchers, so I'll try to get some feel has to how he's looking in the informal practices....

Reactions: Charlesroast
With regard to Combs, are you mostly worried about his % throwing out runners? I saw from the stats it wasn't very good; however, in the conference season of his second year he was 5/13, which was better.

He seems like a pretty athletic guy, so I would guess he'll do alright blocking low pitches, fielding bunts et al. I did see that he had 3 Es and 2 PBs this year....not great, but not horrible. We've been spoiled by RF I'm afraid.

I have a connection with one of the IU ptchers, so I'll try to get some feel has to how he's looking in the informal practices....

Yes. Hopefully he can be coached up and take the lead role, another capable bat is always nice. I expect they will all get a lot of individual attention this fall. Whoever shakes out on top I think it will be rare for anyone to catch both halves of a doubleheader, or even all 3 of a weekend series this year

Yes, we were spoiled by Fineman! Circumstances forced him to be overused over his career and I think his draft status suffered. I really hope he gets his hitting squared away and gets a chance to advance.

Yes. Hopefully he can be coached up and take the lead role, another capable bat is always nice. I expect they will all get a lot of individual attention this fall. Whoever shakes out on top I think it will be rare for anyone to catch both halves of a doubleheader, or even all 3 of a weekend series this year

Yes, we were spoiled by Fineman! Circumstances forced him to be overused over his career and I think his draft status suffered. I really hope he gets his hitting squared away and gets a chance to advance.

I don't see much college baseball other than IU, but I've seen a lot of our games since 2013, and I don't remember a visiting catcher that was better than Fineman defensively, and I'm not sure I remember one better offensively when RF wasn't hurt. He was a stud as a college player when healthy.

Reactions: mk23
ADVERTISEMENT