ADVERTISEMENT

Questions for the Dem leaning members of the Cooler...

cosmickid

Hall of Famer
Oct 23, 2009
Do you think McConnell ever had any interest in bi-partisanship, prior to his repeat of the "let's make Obama a 1 term Pres" theme?

I think Brian Cohen basically nails the hypocrisy in this video, but I wonder if the rest of you see it the same way? It makes sense the way he points out that McConnell didn't ever really work towards any compromise, both as Majority leader as well as his earlier stint as Minority leader of the opposition. Can anyone point out any time when McConnell has actually engaged in anything approaching "good faith"?

Do you think McConnell ever had any interest in bi-partisanship, prior to his repeat of the "let's make Obama a 1 term Pres" theme?

I think Brian Cohen basically nails the hypocrisy in this video, but I wonder if the rest of you see it the same way? It makes sense the way he points out that McConnell didn't ever really work towards any compromise, both as Majority leader as well as his earlier stint as Minority leader of the opposition. Can anyone point out any time when McConnell has actually engaged in anything approaching "good faith"?

I guess you forgot Harry Reid's tenure as Majority Leader.

Good faith......good grief.

Last edited:

I think we'll find out with the infrastructure bill.

The word on the street is that Biden will eventually break the bill in two sending one that's republican friendly and then doing the other by whatever the term that is escaping me at the moment.

That way the pubs can claim it as a win and agree to a smaller bill while both parties gets to say that we can actually pass a bi-partisan bill, the dems gets step one of the bill that both parties agree is needed now and then will work on the other stuff that is popular with the masses but not the pubs.

So, if McConnell shits on a watered down infrastructure bill that he has come back with as a supposed counter then yeah, I wouldn't expect him to work across party lines for anything.

Reactions: IU_Hickory
I think we'll find out with the infrastructure bill.

The word on the street is that Biden will eventually break the bill in two sending one that's republican friendly and then doing the other by whatever the term that is escaping me at the moment.

That way the pubs can claim it as a win and agree to a smaller bill while both parties gets to say that we can actually pass a bi-partisan bill, the dems gets step one of the bill that both parties agree is needed now and then will work on the other stuff that is popular with the masses but not the pubs.

So, if McConnell shits on a watered down infrastructure bill that he has come back with as a supposed counter then yeah, I wouldn't expect him to work across party lines for anything.
Why would they agree to vote for one bill that is friendly to them if they know that the rest is going to be pushed by reconciliation anyway? That is not a compromise at all.

Republicans are simply being republicans. They know their voters are f*****g morons who reliably vote. Pubs are playing the odds they’ll get either the house or senate back in ‘22. Pubs are only in Washington to obstruct, then bitch about nothing getting accomplished. Oh, and make sure rich people get their fair share. They are also good for saying “liberals”, “liberal agenda”, “liberal wishlist”, “cancel culture” and now they seem to be stuck on “irregularities”.

It's all a game. Unfortunately they feel not working with the other party is what gets them re-elected..and sadly they are probably right.

Republicans are simply being republicans. They know their voters are f*****g morons who reliably vote. Pubs are playing the odds they’ll get either the house or senate back in ‘22. Pubs are only in Washington to obstruct, then bitch about nothing getting accomplished. Oh, and make sure rich people get their fair share. They are also good for saying “liberals”, “liberal agenda”, “liberal wishlist”, “cancel culture” and now they seem to be stuck on “irregularities”.
Must suck to be so butthurt. Find someone to give you a hug....if anyone is willing.

Edited: I’ve got a great idea, you, Hickory, Goat, Stuffshit & Vanderhog should start a Republican hate group. It could be cathartic.

Second edit: Sorry to Tommy, Hoops, Cosmic, etc. I couldn’t name you all but don’t want to be dismissive of your hatred or bigotry.

Last edited:
The $600B Republican bill isn't even a "watered down" version of the Dem bill. It contains little to no new spending. It is essentially a shell game, rearranging already allocated funds toward capital improvements. They are adamant that there be no increase in revenues.

Must suck to be so butthurt. Find someone to give you a hug....if anyone is willing.

Edited: I’ve got a great idea, you, Hickory, Goat, Stuffshit & Vanderhog should start a Republican hate group. It could be cathartic.

Second edit: Sorry to Tommy, Hoops, Cosmic, etc. I couldn’t name you all but don’t want to be dismissive of your hatred or bigotry.

Pot meet kettle.

In the same vein, why don't you, ulrey, Massa, JoeHoopsier, 76-1, Abraxis, mohoosier, stoll, Floor and a few others form your own Democrat hate group? Or are you guys somehow different?

In the same vein, why don't you, ulrey, Massa, JoeHoopsier, 76-1, Abraxis, mohoosier, stoll, Floor and a few others form your own Democrat hate group? Or are you guys somehow different?
I voted Democrat & have no hatred for them as a group, just some of their bigoted constituents on the far left.

I voted Democrat & have no hatred for them as a group, just some of their bigoted constituents on the far left.
And I bet I have voted for more Republicans than you have.
So, I'll take you out of the group I mentioned...why aren't you posting that they should form a Democrat hate group? I mean, since you are so nonpartisan. Do you disagree their hatred is pretty obvious?
Also, please link any posts you have made calling out any Republican, either here or in the real world.
TIA

I see faaar fewer posts promoting hatred & bigotry from the right on the board. That’s not to say that there are none, but it’s not even close. COH is a perfect example. He often makes attempts at discussing issues & is almost always met with personal insults or attacks from the people mentioned above who disagree with his views.

Reactions: 76-1
The $600B Republican bill isn't even a "watered down" version of the Dem bill. It contains little to no new spending. It is essentially a shell game, rearranging already allocated funds toward capital improvements. They are adamant that there be no increase in revenues.
If it passes, republicans will take credit for it even if they voted against it. Just like they’re doing with the stimulus. Like I said, they know their voters are morons.

I see faaar fewer posts promoting hatred & bigotry from the right on the board. That’s not to say that there are none, but it’s not even close. COH is a perfect example. He often makes attempts at discussing issues & is almost always met with personal insults or attacks from the people mentioned above who disagree with his views.
I disagree about the quantity of hatred and bigotry centered-posts, and the focus of COH's posts. His posts inviting "discussion" are usually his predetermined and locked in opinions that are presented in a way that precludes real debate. I have yet to see him change his mind, and I think he has admitted that his intention is not to change anyone's mind, so it stands to reason that he is not really open-minded on the stances he posts about.

I disagree about the quantity of hatred and bigotry centered-posts, and the focus of COH's posts. His posts inviting "discussion" are usually his predetermined and locked in opinions that are presented in a way that precludes real debate. I have yet to see him change his mind, and I think he has admitted that his intention is not to change anyone's mind, so it stands to reason that he is not really open-minded on the stances he posts about.
I know it can often feel that way but remember this is a process and while you can often feel stuck, and like you don’t “get it,” that’s normal! You have to stick with it! Trust the process....

I know it can often feel that way but remember this is a process and while you can often feel stuck, and like you don’t “get it,” that’s normal! You have to stick with it! Trust the process....
I do trust that Woody can bring us back. You are talking about the important business of returning IU basketball to prominence, right?

If it passes, republicans will take credit for it even if they voted against it. Just like they’re doing with the stimulus. Like I said, they know their voters are morons.
I think the false claims will help them in the Primaries, and then vote on Cheney will not be an issue. But I wonder how many midterm Pub candidates will be willing to engage in debates with their Dem counterparts, knowing that independent moderators will undoubtedly bring up these questions and it can turn off battleground voters...

I saw a campaign spot and I think it's TN huckster Hollingsworth, who likely won't be seriously challenged in IN. But even running in a safe district he is already playing the "shell game". They mention that Hollingsworth supported the "Cares act" which supported emergency education funding", but don't differentiate between the bi-partisan Trump era bill (which passed unanimously/voice vote) and the Biden rescue plan which allotted twice as much for Education and which every single Pub opposed. Clearly, the effort is to falsely portray him as voting for the Covid Relief Bill, which he vehemently opposed...

I think they are hoping to keep the Cheney vote secret as well, as both Kitzinger and Romney have said it will cost them votes to remove her. So I'll be curious to see how many of these pro-Trump Pubs who are running in more moderate districts navigate these questions if they come in a debate after the Primaries. I don't know how much of an effect it had, but I do know that Ossoff hurt Perdue to the point where Perdue basically was scared to participate in all the originally scheduled debates.

A cosmic special
Actually, I wanted to make it EXCLUSIVE without coming out and saying it, because I wasn't interested in a talking points battle. I really wanted to know what the Dem voters felt about the concept of Bi-partisanship. I know the GOP voters have a different opinion on the issue, but I wanted to see how people who I see as generally closer to my side of the coin felt...

That's why I titled it "Dem leaning members" because I really wanted others and the inevitable conflicts that result to avoid the thread since they don't like my posts anyway. I was curious how others felt about Cohen pointing out the duplicity that McConnell engaged in with Obama, when Obama/Dems watered-down provisions of various bills (like the ACA) to placate the GOP, and the GOP still opposed them and campaigned on that basis. I'm not interested in getting opinions on IF that is what happened, but rather hearing from people who KNOW that is what happened AND whether they feel the Dems should fall for it again...

None of that has anything to do with Fletch's post about Reid, which can be posted ad nauseum elsewhere. My question is on how the board's Dem leaning votes view McConnell.

You make it a point to insult me at every chance you get. The only "controversy" I was looking for in THIS thread is between Dem voters who favor and those who oppose Appeasement- because THAT is what I was curious about. And it's strange how I seemingly have this reputation as a "leftist radical" when I don't even know where I personally stand on the matter. That was sort of the reason to ask the question (of people from the same side of the political spectrum) and elicit their responses...

Actually, I wanted to make it EXCLUSIVE without coming out and saying it, because I wasn't interested in a talking points battle. I really wanted to know what the Dem voters felt about the concept of Bi-partisanship. I know the GOP voters have a different opinion on the issue, but I wanted to see how people who I see as generally closer to my side of the coin felt...

That's why I titled it "Dem leaning members" because I really wanted others and the inevitable conflicts that result to avoid the thread since they don't like my posts anyway. I was curious how others felt about Cohen pointing out the duplicity that McConnell engaged in with Obama, when Obama/Dems watered-down provisions of various bills (like the ACA) to placate the GOP, and the GOP still opposed them and campaigned on that basis. I'm not interested in getting opinions on IF that is what happened, but rather hearing from people who KNOW that is what happened AND whether they feel the Dems should fall for it again...

None of that has anything to do with Fletch's post about Reid, which can be posted ad nauseum elsewhere. My question is on how the board's Dem leaning votes view McConnell.

You make it a point to insult me at every chance you get. The only "controversy" I was looking for in THIS thread is between Dem voters who favor and those who oppose Appeasement- because THAT is what I was curious about. And it's strange how I seemingly have this reputation as a "leftist radical" when I don't even know where I personally stand on the matter. That was sort of the reason to ask the question (of people from the same side of the political spectrum) and elicit their responses...
Then you have zero self awareness

You flung poo at a picture of Mitch McConnell and are now acting surprised that people don’t like the smell.

The only way I would favor appeasement is if the GOP was actually making a good faith effort to find common ground.

The GOP wasn't making any good faith effort with ACA other than trying to make it fail so they could be winners politically.

Reactions: UncleMark
You flung poo at a picture of Mitch McConnell and are now acting surprised that people don’t like the smell.

technically it was you that farted at his picture.

The thread title said "Question for Dems". I don't think you qualify.

The only way I would favor appeasement is if the GOP was actually making a good faith effort to find common ground.

The GOP wasn't making any good faith effort with ACA other than trying to make it fail so they could be winners politically.
"We have maybe a once-in-a-generation window to enact major reforms,” Fallon said. “We may not have a full two years to pace ourselves."

A once in a generation window - think how ridiculous that sounds. If you are running out of time you don't have a mandate for a once in a generation enactment of major reforms. It's BS.

Those days are over. Govt is broken. The above is from a NYT's article "We May Not Have a Full Two Years." The inference that the dems need to get what they want fast because they're on the clock. It's not that this is what's best for all of us. It's that they want to get there's knowing full well republicans don't want it. and it's not small stuff: it's "major reforms." they want to rush through major reforms because they know their chance is running out. how f'd up is that? it's absurd. dems for dems, not for us all. then the republicans will win and do the very same thing. repubs for repubs. compromise is over. it's sad.

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13
"We have maybe a once-in-a-generation window to enact major reforms,” Fallon said. “We may not have a full two years to pace ourselves."

Those days are over. Govt is broken. The above is from a NYT's article "We May Not Have a Full Two Years." The inference that the dems need to get what they want fast because they're on the clock. It's not that this is what's best for all of us. It's that they want to get there's knowing full well republicans don't want it. and it's not small stuff: it's "major reforms." they want to rush through major reforms because they know their chance is running out. how f'd up is that? it's absurd. dems for dems, not for us all. then the republicans will win and do the very same thing. repubs for repubs. compromise is over. it's sad.

Just wait. In a couple of decades it will likely be: "We need to expand the Supreme Court to 297 and buy Vancouver and Cancun and make them states."

and we will still be wondering the GOP position on whether someone can be elected to the Supreme Court during an election year.

Oh, yea, if it is a republican president, then someone can be elected to the Supreme Court during an election year but otherwise must wait til after the election.

and we will still be wondering the GOP position on whether someone can be elected to the Supreme Court during an election year.

Oh, yea, if it is a republican president, then someone can be elected to the Supreme Court during an election year but otherwise must wait til after the election.
Tit for tat politics. Sad

Reactions: vesuvius13
So because he has an opinion not likely to be changed he deserves to be lambasted & ridiculed? Or because it is different than yours? Butthurt & Hickory. There are posters like Mass from the right that are off the rails too, but there are many fewer than from the left...

"Elected"?

Reactions: jet812
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT