ADVERTISEMENT

Question

Anyone else worried Glass will use these injuries as justification for keeping Crean around after this year?

He was definitely going to keep him after the year anyway, IMO. But yes, he will use this year's injuries as reasons for this year being less than we hoped.
Excuses or no excuses, the injuries this team has suffered are definitely significant. Very significant.

The only way I can fathom the idea of Glass retaining Crean at this point would be if there isn't anyone currently available or willing to fill the spot. The bottom has already fell out. Why not capitalize on the opportunity.

Crean is already in breach of his contract imo. We are talking about expensive "excuses" that reach beyond Creans annual salary.

The clock is ticking and I sure hope the blind is not leading the blind in this case. Next season can either be a step in the right direction or another free fall.

Anyone else worried Glass will use these injuries as justification for keeping Crean around after this year?

He was definitely going to keep him after the year anyway, IMO. But yes, he will use this year's injuries as reasons for this year being less than we hoped.
Excuses or no excuses, the injuries this team has suffered are definitely significant. Very significant.
Totally agree. Losing Hartman OG, and now JBJ is asking a lot of any coach. That excuse is very real.

Reactions: JBT Assoc

the clapper is the same coach he's always been. just not gonna win the conference this year and out come the pitch forks. the injuries are real

Totally agree. Losing Hartman OG, and now JBJ is asking a lot of any coach. That excuse is very real.

Actually, because Crean's recruiting fell off a cliff, the injuries show us what team we will have next year. His 2017 class provides no impact players so we can't expect much contribution next year. This is it. So why bring him back when we know next year is going to be bad?

You have to extend or terminate and I cannot see how you extend the coach at IU who will likely miss two consecutive NCAA and 3 of the last 5 (with a 10 seed thrown in). Those results would get you fired at Seton Hall.

this team was marginal and on the bubble watch before these injuries happened. That negates the excuse. Having said that....I think Crean returns next season no matter how this one plays out. Just have that feeling....

Wrong. As much as you'd like that to be true this team tanked long before the injuries to OG and JBJ. There are no excuses, Crean is out.

Wrong. Whether this team "tanked" before the injuries is speculative. Injuries sometimes ARE excuses.... particularly when the injuries are as significant as are IU's.

Crean isn't out. Wasn't gonna be without the injuries. Much to our chagrin.

For some reason (don't ask me why) I have a gut feeling Billy D ends up as our next coach.

Realistically, Glass has to do one of two things: 1) extend Crean (or, if you think recruiting is bad now, just wait) or 2) cut bait. I see the latter, or Crean maybe going the Tubby route and leaving for another job.

Donovan signed up to coach a Durant/Westbrook-led version of OKC. Has lost one and likely loses the other at the end of this season. Would love to get Brad (and you still make that call), but IMHO this is the scenario more likely than any.

Wrong. Whether this team "tanked" before the injuries is speculative. Injuries sometimes ARE excuses.... particularly when the injuries are as significant as are IU's.

I won't pretend to have inside knowledge, but, in my opinion, you're very wrong. We will find out shortly.

Guess the definition of "tanked" would need to be defined.

In my book, a coach coming off two outright conference titles in 5 years (with 3 Sweet 16's) that cannot recruit a SINGLE 5 star player at a place like Indiana - especially when FOUR are in your backyard - is telling of the direction of the program. Add to that this current roster has two McD's and guys like OG, Juwan, RJ . . .

The problem isn't injuries. It's systemic. Crean teams have never done well with turnovers, and don't do other things well enough (defense, rebounding) to compensate for the nights when shots aren't falling.

I've asked this question TONS of times, so how about YOU answer it: What programs that compete regularly for National Championships play like Indiana does under Crean? Huh? Who is it? Serious question.

Guess the definition of "tanked" would need to be defined.

In my book, a coach coming off two outright conference titles in 5 years (with 3 Sweet 16's) that cannot recruit a SINGLE 5 star player at a place like Indiana - especially when FOUR are in your backyard - is telling of the direction of the program. Add to that this current roster has two McD's and guys like OG, Juwan, RJ . . .

The problem isn't injuries. It's systemic. Crean teams have never done well with turnovers, and don't do other things well enough (defense, rebounding) to compensate for the nights when shots aren't falling.

I've asked this question TONS of times, so how about YOU answer it: What programs that compete regularly for National Championships play like Indiana does under Crean? Huh? Who is it? Serious question.

You're changing the discussion. I completely agree with what you're saying.
(Except that at this time, it IS partly about the injuries.)
My comments were about whether the team "tanked" this year prior to the injuries. And whether it did or did not, the injuries have dramatically lowered the team's ceiling, regardless the coaching.
It is still my belief that Crean would not have been fired after this season, nor will he be. Whether or not he SHOULD be is a different discussion.

For some reason (don't ask me why) I have a gut feeling Billy D ends up as our next coach.

Realistically, Glass has to do one of two things: 1) extend Crean (or, if you think recruiting is bad now, just wait) or 2) cut bait. I see the latter, or Crean maybe going the Tubby route and leaving for another job.

Donovan signed up to coach a Durant/Westbrook-led version of OKC. Has lost one and likely loses the other at the end of this season. Would love to get Brad (and you still make that call), but IMHO this is the scenario more likely than any.
Who in the world would want crean.

Reactions: TheVegasHoosier
I'm not at all worried about the injury excuse being used.....Crean isn't going anywhere after this year with or without injuries.....unless he chooses to.

You know, and I'm ready for the blow-back on this, but I can think of a coach that probably would take the job at minimal $$$ and be great here because it was headed that way. KS!, Yes, I said that, what he got in trouble for is now NCAA legal. Yes, I don't like that he lied about it .... but it was texting too much JHC ... really, he shouldn't have lost his job over that!. It was not a sex scandal or academic fraud and that people say he wrecked the program is an out an out lie. Dakich and Crean threw every bit of talent off ... talent, BTW, we haven't seen the likes of since, and for "issues" we still have under Crean.

He'd probably see success at a football school. Somewhere with little pressure. A place where he could milk the underdog concept. Alabama would have been suitable job. I wonder if he has any regrets....

You know, and I'm ready for the blow-back on this, but I can think of a coach that probably would take the job at minimal $$$ and be great here because it was headed that way. KS!, Yes, I said that, what he got in trouble for is now NCAA legal. Yes, I don't like that he lied about it .... but it was texting too much JHC ... really, he shouldn't have lost his job over that!. It was not a sex scandal or academic fraud and that people say he wrecked the program is an out an out lie. Dakich and Crean threw every bit of talent off ... talent, BTW, we haven't seen the likes of since, and for "issues" we still have under Crean.
You got to be kidding right because there was more to it that just the phone calls. It was the kind of kids he brought in who had off the court problems and did not go to class. He is not really doing that well at Houston right now so why would he be an upgrade.

This right here....

Glass needs to extend Crean or get rid of him. If Crean had 10 years left on his contract, he would be here another year. But he doesn't and even he can't recruit with only 3 years left on contract.

And I just don't see Glass hitching his wagon to Crean at this point. He caught a ton of heat for the last contract, he's not doing it again.

It speaks loudly that Crean wasn't given an extension last year.

I think a deal is reached where Crean resigns and IU goes after a big name.

At least this my hope....

Crean will be a lame duck coach next year. Why waste another year?

I'm not at all worried about the injury excuse being used.....Crean isn't going anywhere after this year with or without injuries.....unless he chooses to.

He's gone. Even conservative IU has to make a move to fix this sputtering program.

Sweet 16 is given
start thinking final 4 or national champ and get on the bandwagon while good seats are available
or be left behind

Remember you heard it here 1st

The greatest season in Purdue's history!!!!! Raise a banner!!!!

Just remeber when you fail to get past the Sweet 16 and think how great Purdue is, IU will fire their coach for doing the same thing last year.

Reactions: Inequality
Pure speculation, but sometimes I wonder if Fred and Tom have a Jared (Subway) and whoever relationship going on. It gets to the point of how do you defend the record ... maybe they have to. Otherwise, I don't know how an AD who expects elite and pays for it can defend Crean's record and embarrassing losses to IUFW.

And I got banned...:rolleyes:

We should be rooting for Purdue big time. IU missing the tourney and Purdue making a run with Biggie is exactly the kind of thing that boosters will care about. Hell, we should hope Butler and ND go deep too.

We knew Hartman was out from day one.

OG's injury came AFTER we lost at home to Wisconsin and Nebraska. Played vs UL as well. And Butler. We've only been w/o OG for two Big 10 games. Went 1-1. And yes I know he was out early. But IU played Houston Baptist, SIUE and SE Missouri State during that stretch.

JBJ's injury just happened. IU's had his service's all year. Including the losses at home vs Nebraska and Wisconsin. Had his services vs UL as well. And Butler

Morgan: Only game misses due to injury are the last two. He played significant minutes vs Nebraska, Wisky and UL. All losses.

See a constant theme here? I do. We had all three of those guys during IU's slide of losing 4 of 6 games; with those two wins being against shit ass teams. The four losses? Butler, UL, Nebraska and Wisconsin.

So no, the injuries are not an excuse. Indiana was a borderline NCAAT team BEFORE these injuries. No excuse for that. And certainly not one of injuries.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT