ADVERTISEMENT

Question re: Inge & Spec Teams Coordinator

IndyIUFan66

All-Big Ten
Jun 23, 2013
At first read, I was wondering if Inge got demoted? But I saw CTA said he saw it as a promotion to a "coordinator" role and that he'd have ownership of that area.

I know Coach Allen does put a big (much bigger than Wilson did) emphasis on special teams and we saw with our Punting game difference this year and the incoming Kicker scholly too that he puts his $ where his mouth is.

So maybe, especially if there is a huge improvement by all special teams (punt & return, kick & return, & extra points - would that include 2 pt conversions?) Coach Inge can indeed make a bit of a name for himself in this role there. (or have egg on his face too I suppose).

Looking at the pros, John Harbaugh was hired by Ravens as formerly a special teams coach, and Colts GM Ballard apparently thinks very highly of Chiefs Spec Teams coach enough to potentially interview him for HC as well.

But at college level, I'm not aware of special teams coaches much or if I even see/hear about them in recruiting. Would Inge help with "athletes" & anyone who might play Spec teams too?

I hope Coach Inge (who seems to have done a nice job with LB's and loves IU) is excited about the change and feels it is a positive coaching step for him (vs a demotion or thankless one). If so, I also hope his focus will mean great special teams play that could truly help IU continue to move up the B10 ladder. All little things do add up and I agree w/Coach Allen that it can be a difference maker.

And the new coach seems like an innovative guy too on defensive side of the ball, so in a perfect world this is a win/win for both men and IUFB. Just didn't want to have a wounded coach on the staff and truly hope that isn't the case as I'm a fan of Inge and excited about new coach too.

At first read, I was wondering if Inge got demoted? But I saw CTA said he saw it as a promotion to a "coordinator" role and that he'd have ownership of that area.

I know Coach Allen does put a big (much bigger than Wilson did) emphasis on special teams and we saw with our Punting game difference this year and the incoming Kicker scholly too that he puts his $ where his mouth is.

So maybe, especially if there is a huge improvement by all special teams (punt & return, kick & return, & extra points - would that include 2 pt conversions?) Coach Inge can indeed make a bit of a name for himself in this role there. (or have egg on his face too I suppose).

Looking at the pros, John Harbaugh was hired by Ravens as formerly a special teams coach, and Colts GM Ballard apparently thinks very highly of Chiefs Spec Teams coach enough to potentially interview him for HC as well.

But at college level, I'm not aware of special teams coaches much or if I even see/hear about them in recruiting. Would Inge help with "athletes" & anyone who might play Spec teams too?

I hope Coach Inge (who seems to have done a nice job with LB's and loves IU) is excited about the change and feels it is a positive coaching step for him (vs a demotion or thankless one). If so, I also hope his focus will mean great special teams play that could truly help IU continue to move up the B10 ladder. All little things do add up and I agree w/Coach Allen that it can be a difference maker.

And the new coach seems like an innovative guy too on defensive side of the ball, so in a perfect world this is a win/win for both men and IUFB. Just didn't want to have a wounded coach on the staff and truly hope that isn't the case as I'm a fan of Inge and excited about new coach too.
You don’t generally see special teams coordinators in college, at least with that being their only role, because of limits on coaching numbers. I suspect you will see more of that now with the extra spot.

Last edited:
Ahh yes, the 10th spot addition. Good point and maybe that will be the "new" trend that IU is out ahead of early!

I think the new coach is a great pick up so excited about his addition. Just want to see Inge do well and be happy and hopefully he sees this positively and as a great opportunity for him. If IU is tops in conference in various areas of special teams play, Inge will get good kudos. (But KO or Punt returns for TD's will also spill on him too!)

Good luck to both.

Well Inge has moved from just a position coach to a Coordinator so it seems like an obvious promotion vs a demotion. If TA didn't trust or like the guy he wouldn't hand him the responsibility for one of the most important areas on the team (in my opinion).

Reactions: vesuvius13
I like the change of Inge to Special Teams as he has worked there before and he will be in charge of that part of the team. It gives him more responsibility and a higher profile so I imagined he asked for the job. It also gives LBs a new coach which with the lack of LB experience the LBs have clean slate to show what they can do.

Reactions: 76-1
Just didn't want to have a wounded coach on the staff and truly hope that isn't the case as I'm a fan of Inge and excited about new coach too.
I wondered the same thing. But it looks like CTA gave him a higher status "title", and as long as the money is adjusted to reflect his higher status, then I suspect it's okay. Hoping that Inge was on board from the get-go.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
He’s been working with special teams the whole time and has balanced being the LB coach. He was primarily responsible for the kickoff unit under Wilson. It completely makes sense to have a guy handle special teams with the additional coaching spot.

Whether or not it is a promotion or demotion. None of us will know. Inge did have a solid kickoff unit though, and hopefully the new kicker can be a viable replacement for oaks.

Inge needs to get on the horn and go visit Frank Beamer. No school did more to prioritize and make an impact on special teams during the 90's and early 2000's than VT.

We saw it firsthand in the Independence Bowl back in '93. What a disastrous last couple minutes of the first half that was.

He’s been working with special teams the whole time and has balanced being the LB coach. He was primarily responsible for the kickoff unit under Wilson. It completely makes sense to have a guy handle special teams with the additional coaching spot.

Whether or not it is a promotion or demotion. None of us will know. Inge did have a solid kickoff unit though, and hopefully the new kicker can be a viable replacement for oaks.

I wonder if the guy from Utah that Gooch hit on the kickoff of the Foster Farm Bowl ever woke up?

That boys is a demotion but hope he sinks his teeth into the new job and runs with it

That boys is a demotion but hope he sinks his teeth into the new job and runs with it

The last guy we called a Special Teams Coordinator got an NFL gig with the Falcons so there is money to be made in that position if he takes his work seriously...

Depends on his mind set, he just lost his job as a position coach

The last guy we called a Special Teams Coordinator got an NFL gig with the Falcons so there is money to be made in that position if he takes his work seriously...[/QUOTE

Again you and I do not know his mind set if special teams is his long term goal then it is a promotion but if he feels he was forced out of coaching the Lb's then he will look at it as a demotion

I keep thinking back to the FIU game at home where Inge got excited at an interception and Wilson went ape-sh$@ on the guy and grabbed him. Allen got plenty excited during 2016 and Wilson never went after him. Hmmmm......

I keep thinking back to the FIU game at home where Inge got excited at an interception and Wilson went ape-sh$@ on the guy and grabbed him. Allen got plenty excited during 2016 and Wilson never went after him. Hmmmm......
Meaning what? (I recall that btw). That Wilson didn’t put same emphasis on takeaways? Or that Wilson didn’t like Inge?

What’s connection to LB vs Spec Teams Coordinator talk? (Truly just trying see your point on this current be). Thx

Meaning what? (I recall that btw). That Wilson didn’t put same emphasis on takeaways? Or that Wilson didn’t like Inge?

What’s connection to LB vs Spec Teams Coordinator talk? (Truly just trying see your point on this current be). Thx

Auto correct! “Point on this one?” Thx

Crimson Crush brings up an interesting point. I forgot all about that incident. No one viewed it as a big deal, but that incident had to have rubbed Inge the wrong way. But like you said, I don’t know how it’s relevant to Inge moving to ST coordinator. That incident was back in 15’.

Is it a promotion or demotion? No one knows, besides Inge and Allen. And a lot of it comes down to how Inge perceives the move. Was the new LB coach sought out due to the inability of Inge to coach the position? We don’t know. Did Covington and Scales improve due to Allen/their own effort, or was did Inge’s coaching play a big part? We don’t know. Does Inge feel slighted? We don’t and won’t know because he’s a professional and I have confidence that he’ll coach hard and with passion, like he has for many years with the kickoff unit. It’d be interesting to know if it was a demotion or not, but so many factors are at play that it’d be hard to know. The other group of guys who may know are the linebackers, but even their views would vary.

Either way, i’m Beginning to like that Allen will at least switch things up. New stregnth coach, making moves with coaches and putting them in positions that he deems best for them, and obviously recruiting his butt off. I don’t hear many calls to fire Allen after a 5-7 season these days.

I went back and looked at the box score.
I remember it vividly.

It was FIU.
They had the lead at half 14-13.
We made it 19-14 at the end of 3.
They scored to start the 4th and went for 2, got it, to make it 22-19.

We tied it with a FG.
We forced/recovered a fumble at their 16, and Suddy hit Paige for a TD on the first snap.
We were up 29-22.

We forced a punt and got the ball back with 8:12 left.

We then pulled what I call "a Wilson."
It could also be called "the thing the dumbass IU fans I have to sit next to ask for over and over and over again."
Incomplete pass stops the clock.
We need to eat clock and we PASS on first down.
(The dumbass fans next to me scream with glee - "throw it again!")
We get 4 on a rush by Redding.
(The dumbass fans next to me boo, "fire the coach - why do we run up the middle all the damn time! BOOOOOOO!")
3rd and 6.
Like a dumbass, WE call a timeout and stop the clock.
WE STOP THE CLOCK. ON PURPOSE. IN THE 4TH. WITH A LEAD.
So we can "make sure" about our offensive call.
We aren't prepared in advance to make play calls in this potential game-saving situation.
No. WE call a TIME FREAKING OUT.

Can anybody guess what happened next?
EXACTLY - an incomplete pass at money time.
We took a whole 51 seconds off the clock, AT MONEY TIME, and gave the ball to FIU.

They move it. 10 plays. 62 yards.

Annnnnd ........

Jameel Cook gets a 96 yard PICK 6 at 3:58.
BOOOM!
36-22 IU.

And Wilson gets on Inge's ass because of the game situation - even with a 16 point lead, there was 4 minutes left and he thought the thing was still in doubt and he thought we needed to immediately move to the next play - get ready for the FIU onslaught to come. He wanted more focus, less celebration.

I'm not surprised he thought an opponent could score 14 or more in 4 minutes. He was the King of NOT taking time off a clock and giving the ball back when we needed to kill clock! THE. KING.

He was partially right - coaches need to focus. But it was still a dick move by Wilson, and showed that he was just as unfocused as anyone over-celebrating the play. Loss of cool on the play.

Sorta like when he ran down the filed to shut up the band - it just showed he had failed to anticipate the issue, and he acted like prick in public about a problem.

Maybe a coach SHOULD THINK IN ADVANCE about whether his "hurry up" offense should or should not depend on verbal communication from the sidelines, or MIGHT get interference from a band. After all, he came from Oklahoma, where the band plays Boomer Damn Sooner after every single freaking play.

Frankly, I support every coach. Always have. Defend em against the First Quarter Mob and Arm Chair Coach Association without fail. Opposed the firing of all of the football coaches we fired in my life.
But the longer it goes on, the happier I am that Wilson and Glass broke up.
The prom is a lot more fun with them dating others.

Wilson took the best roster we had in 30 years and won 6.
I appreciate that, but I don't call it "genius."
Hell, Lynch won 7 with less. And didn't act like an asshole anywhere.

I'll take 5-7 with Allen and Inge getting happy over 6-7 with Surly Kevin any day.
The difference between 5 and 6 wins isn't worth the trouble.

Most likely not an Offensive/Defensive Coordinator level position, but perhaps on the level of a "Associate/Co"-Off/Def Coordinator position, which would very much be a promotion.

Well, he was responsible for 2 guys in a game in our 4-2-5.

Now he needs to coach FG, FG defense, punt, punt return, kickoff, kick return. That's 66 spots.

I remember it vividly.

It was FIU.

We tied it with a FG.
We forced/recovered a fumble at their 16, and Suddy hit Paige for a TD on the first snap.
We were up 29-22.

It could also be called "the thing the dumbass IU fans I have to sit next to ask for over and over and over again."
(The dumbass fans next to me boo, "fire the coach - why do we run up the middle all the damn time! BOOOOOOO!")
3rd and 6.
We aren't prepared in advance to make play calls in this potential game-saving situation.

We took a whole 51 seconds off the clock, AT MONEY TIME, and gave the ball to FIU.

Annnnnd ........

BOOOM!
36-22 IU.

And Wilson gets on Inge's ass because of the game situation - even with a 16 point lead, there was 4 minutes left and he thought the thing was still in doubt and he thought we needed to immediately move to the next play - get ready for the FIU onslaught to come. He wanted more focus, less celebration.

I'm not surprised he thought an opponent could score 14 or more in 4 minutes. He was the King of NOT taking time off a clock and giving the ball back when we needed to kill clock! THE. KING.

He was partially right - coaches need to focus. But it was still a dick move by Wilson, and showed that he was just as unfocused as anyone over-celebrating the play. Loss of cool on the play.

Sorta like when he ran down the filed to shut up the band - it just showed he had failed to anticipate the issue, and he acted like prick in public about a problem.

Maybe a coach SHOULD THINK IN ADVANCE about whether his "hurry up" offense should or should not depend on verbal communication from the sidelines, or MIGHT get interference from a band. After all, he came from Oklahoma, where the band plays Boomer Damn Sooner after every single freaking play.

Frankly, I support every coach. Always have. Defend em against the First Quarter Mob and Arm Chair Coach Association without fail. Opposed the firing of all of the football coaches we fired in my life.

I'll take 5-7 with Allen and Inge getting happy over 6-7 with Surly Kevin any day.
Yeah, that’s probably the best and most accurate post I’ve seen. I recall that we all thought Inge must’ve been rubbed the wrong way because it was almost like Wilson treated him like a child. Inge is fairly patient though and never brought up the event. But had he done that to someone else, it could’ve caused serious retaliation because he treated him like a child IMHO.

And yes, 15’ was a window for us to win 8 games or so. A minimum of 7 would’ve been reasonable, but could’ve been more, because you didn’t even mention the Rutgers disaster. And Inge was blamed for that. There was another sideline situation with Inge because Inge was getting the kickoff team hyped when we were winning 52-27. Wilson thought that it was silly and unfocused, so he snapped on Inge. We proceeded to kick the ball out of bounds on the kickoff, so Wilson blamed Inge and the kickoff unit for giving up the 25 point lead basically. Not once in the team meeting did he say “yeah, maybe I shouldn’t have repeated passed the ball with a 25 point lead and had no sense of game management.” I never really blame a coach for a loss, because it’s on players, but that was the closest I ever came to blaming a coach for a loss, and probably the most demoralized the team was after a game. A lot of people were happy that the team went to a bowl, but we felt as if we left a lot on the table. CKW took no responsibility for management, and made it a point to blame the 25 point loss on the kickoff getting hyped before a kickoff with Inge.

That may have been the most talented team at IU in recent years, and we pissed that season away, but I honestly feel as if CTA will have more talented teams. This isn’t a CTA vs. CKW debate, I just think that this class shows that CTA is going to get talent in here. His first class shows that. The difference is he will have better game management. So if he has more talent/better game management, I can only imagine what the results will be, which keeps me hopeful. I won’t even be mad if he doesn’t make a bowl game this year. Indiana has some potential long-term line rebuilding, and I could see a 4-8, 5-7 season. Unless Allen shows clear signs that he can’t coach, I think that he needs a few years before even being considered on the hotseat. Last year he showed me nothing that would make me lose confidence in him.

Yeah, that’s probably the best and most accurate post I’ve seen. I recall that we all thought Inge must’ve been rubbed the wrong way because it was almost like Wilson treated him like a child. Inge is fairly patient though and never brought up the event. But had he done that to someone else, it could’ve caused serious retaliation because he treated him like a child IMHO.

And yes, 15’ was a window for us to win 8 games or so. A minimum of 7 would’ve been reasonable, but could’ve been more, because you didn’t even mention the Rutgers disaster. And Inge was blamed for that. There was another sideline situation with Inge because Inge was getting the kickoff team hyped when we were winning 52-27. Wilson thought that it was silly and unfocused, so he snapped on Inge. We proceeded to kick the ball out of bounds on the kickoff, so Wilson blamed Inge and the kickoff unit for giving up the 25 point lead basically. Not once in the team meeting did he say “yeah, maybe I shouldn’t have repeated passed the ball with a 25 point lead and had no sense of game management.” I never really blame a coach for a loss, because it’s on players, but that was the closest I ever came to blaming a coach for a loss, and probably the most demoralized the team was after a game. A lot of people were happy that the team went to a bowl, but we felt as if we left a lot on the table. CKW took no responsibility for management, and made it a point to blame the 25 point loss on the kickoff getting hyped before a kickoff with Inge.

That may have been the most talented team at IU in recent years, and we pissed that season away, but I honestly feel as if CTA will have more talented teams. This isn’t a CTA vs. CKW debate, I just think that this class shows that CTA is going to get talent in here. His first class shows that. The difference is he will have better game management. So if he has more talent/better game management, I can only imagine what the results will be, which keeps me hopeful. I won’t even be mad if he doesn’t make a bowl game this year. Indiana has some potential long-term line rebuilding, and I could see a 4-8, 5-7 season. Unless Allen shows clear signs that he can’t coach, I think that he needs a few years before even being considered on the hotseat. Last year he showed me nothing that would make me lose confidence in him.

Exactly!

Kevin clearly didn't do TA any favors when it came to what he left him on the OL. Nearly all of us were fooled by the Fry is a great recruiter hype...

I'm giving TA a full four more years before I hit the panic button...

Meaning.....Wilson could try to play hard ass with certain assistants if he knew he could get away with it. But, he wasn't going to do that with Allen because he knew that the guy was saving his butt on that side of the ball in 2016 and whatever tactics and motivational tools the guy was using, Wilson wasn't going to mess with the recipe.

Only if special teams is his long term goal

Allen knows full well that special teams cost us the one game that would have made IU bowl eligible in 2017 at Maryland. He knew he had to have somebody on the existing staff devote full attention to that. He doesn't treat that area as a part of the game that gets partial attention from one or two coaches. He gets one person to hold accountable.

Allen knows full well that special teams cost us the one game that would have made IU bowl eligible in 2017 at Maryland. He knew he had to have somebody on the existing staff devote full attention to that. He doesn't treat that area as a part of the game that gets partial attention from one or two coaches. He gets one person to hold accountable.

That MD game missed block (WHIFF) on the punt still haunts when think about it. I agree that game was a W and that was truly a "what the hell was that" kind of mental lapse. Good thing about Inge having that role - there will be accountability for all special teams now. That's exciting and Allen has put assets behind it too with the full scholly's to punter and kicker, both of whom I think are going to continue to be outstanding.

That MD game missed block (WHIFF) on the punt still haunts when think about it. I agree that game was a W and that was truly a "what the hell was that" kind of mental lapse. Good thing about Inge having that role - there will be accountability for all special teams now. That's exciting and Allen has put assets behind it too with the full scholly's to punter and kicker, both of whom I think are going to continue to be outstanding.
That punt block was more infuriating because it was a senior that gave little effort on the block. A lot of people complain about the defense that game without considering how bad the positions they were put in due to the ST.

Inge needs to get on the horn and go visit Frank Beamer. No school did more to prioritize and make an impact on special teams during the 90's and early 2000's than VT.

We saw it firsthand in the Independence Bowl back in '93. What a disastrous last couple minutes of the first half that was.
I heartily agree that VA Tech has, since the early 90’s, earned the recognition as one of the most respected special teams units among all of the Power Five schools. I am confident that Coach Inge is making contact with the Hokies and with other programs who excel at difference-making ST play. I really expect that Inge will seize this promotion and be motivated to show CTA that he put the right guy in charge. Can’t wait to see how this move pays off.

I remember it vividly.

It was FIU.

We tied it with a FG.
We were up 29-22.

3rd and 6.

Annnnnd ........

BOOOM!
36-22 IU.

What a sharp memory about that FIU game! I felt that Wilson’s grabbing of Inge was demeaning and that CWI subsequently handled the aftermath without complaint, to his credit. This situation reflected a contrast of personalities. One celebrating in the moment an explosive pick six, the other fretting that there was still time on the clock for the opponent to come back and beat his team. And you are so right that Kevin had good reason to fret about losing a two touchdown lead, given his frequent game/clock management mistakes. And, fast forwarding to today, inge’s spontaneous enthusiasm is seen every game in the intense excitement of his current boss. Something I would guess that each appreciates in one another.

Inge was the organizer of last year's HS team camp in the summer. He introduced Coach Allen and the introduction made it very clear how he felt about coaching for him.

Paraphrasing-

"It ia my honor to introduce our HC. A man who is proud to be a man of Faith and proud to be the coach of IU. Who is not affraid to say I put God first in my life. A man that I am proud to coach for and man that I call my friend, Tom Allen."

From experience, coaching and working with people you love and respect is special. It is reflective in how they coach and treat their players. I think we will look back in 5 years and be thrilled with the hiring of CTA and I think the core of this coaching staff will still be together, a stability we never had before.

Hope so. I would also love for Inge to shine with special teams and do well here. As I think Wommock is going to do well at LB coach and looks like a great hire too. Just excited to think we're getting great talent at IU and do think it's going to pay off. Loved Allen from his first year as DC and thrilled with him since, even thru last season's initial run with some losses that got away. Why? Because he doesn't sit back and whine or act like its all good. He's accountable, makes changes and seems to be attracting great people and recruits. Great programs develop over time, not 1 year. Good spring ahead!

Reactions: Walt542
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT