ADVERTISEMENT

Question on Fios gigabit connection

Dunn_IU

Freshman
Sep 28, 2015
My Fios bill went up since my TV service and hardware discounts expired. I told them I could get the same triple play service from Comcast way cheaper. But I didn't want to mess with changing providers, hardware, etc. Plus I heard Comcast sucks balls. They would only come down about $30 a month on the bill, but they threw in the gigabit connection and waived the $150 install. So my question is how much faster will my connection now be? I'm currently getting 75 megabytes per second. A Gigabyte is 1,024 Megabytes. So does that mean that I'm getting 1024/75=13.65 times faster internet speed with the new connection? Or are gigabits different from gigabytes?

Just trying to figure out how much faster one gigabit is compared to my current 75 megabytes per second. I was told there would be no math on the interweb.

I'm also going to assume the Fios fiber optics are better than whatever Comcast id offering, I know it's not fiber to the house in my case. Probably just some crappy cable wire buried a half inch in the soil.

My Fios bill went up since my TV service and hardware discounts expired. I told them I could get the same triple play service from Comcast way cheaper. But I didn't want to mess with changing providers, hardware, etc. Plus I heard Comcast sucks balls. They would only come down about $30 a month on the bill, but they threw in the gigabit connection and waived the $150 install. So my question is how much faster will my connection now be? I'm currently getting 75 megabytes per second. A Gigabyte is 1,024 Megabytes. So does that mean that I'm getting 1024/75=13.65 times faster internet speed with the new connection? Or are gigabits different from gigabytes?

Just trying to figure out how much faster one gigabit is compared to my current 75 megabytes per second. I was told there would be no math on the interweb.

I'm also going to assume the Fios fiber optics are better than whatever Comcast id offering, I know it's not fiber to the house in my case. Probably just some crappy cable wire buried a half inch in the soil.

Are you getting 75 megabytes or megabits per second with your current connection? One byte is 8 bits, so if your connection is truly 75 megabytes, then it is 600 megabits per second. Another thing is that a gigabit connection is generally 1000 megabits per second. The power of two scaling generally doesn't apply for things like network speeds or hard drive size.

To sum up, if your connection is 75 megabits then it's a 13.3x upgrade. If your connection is 75 megabytes then it is only a 1.66x upgrade.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
Are.you even getting what you're paying for now? Upgrades lose their value if it's already a crap service.

Are you getting 75 megabytes or megabits per second with your current connection? One byte is 8 bits, so if your connection is truly 75 megabytes, then it is 600 megabits per second. Another thing is that a gigabit connection is generally 1000 megabits per second. The power of two scaling generally doesn't apply for things like network speeds or hard drive size.

To sum up, if your connection is 75 megabits then it's a 13.3x upgrade. If your connection is 75 megabytes then it is only a 1.66x upgrade.

It's megabytes, but almost twice as fast is still pretty good. Especially for no extra cost with a $30 a month savings.

if you already have a car that goes 400 mph, do you really benefit from upgrading to one that goes 600 mph, if you aren't a race car driver.

Comcast is constantly degrading their cable/video service to upgrade internet speeds that virtually no residential consumers ever need.

If you’re primarily using wireless devices they will generally only download at @100 mbps anyway. We have Smithville Fiber & the stuff we have hard wired does get up to 900 mbps but the wireless stuff rarely gets over 100. That’s when it’s working properly, of course, which recently has been an issue.

It's megabytes, but almost twice as fast is still pretty good. Especially for no extra cost with a $30 a month savings.
If your current connection is already 75 megabytes (!!!!), then you're already going so fast, you won't notice any upgrade.

Also, what jet said above. Your connection speed is determined by the slowest device you're transferring through. If you're wireless, you won't notice a change.

The purpose of the FIOS gigabit is to give you such a large pipeline that there won't be any meaningful limit to the number of devices you can have working at once. You can watch Netflix on one TV, while someone else is watching Hulu in another room, and another person is downloading Youtube on their phone while taking a dump, etc., etc. Each individual connection will probably seem the same to you, but you won't have to worry about getting bogged down thanks to having too many users.

If your current connection is already 75 megabytes (!!!!), then you're already going so fast, you won't notice any upgrade.

Also, what jet said above. Your connection speed is determined by the slowest device you're transferring through. If you're wireless, you won't notice a change.

The purpose of the FIOS gigabit is to give you such a large pipeline that there won't be any meaningful limit to the number of devices you can have working at once. You can watch Netflix on one TV, while someone else is watching Hulu in another room, and another person is downloading Youtube on their phone while taking a dump, etc., etc. Each individual connection will probably seem the same to you, but you won't have to worry about getting bogged down thanks to having too many users.

You're right. Got the install and there's not much difference. But I was trying to get something upgraded for free in exchange for not cancelling my service. So if a hundred people show up here to use wireless I'll be good.

Depends on how many devices you have pulling off of your connection at once. There’s four of us in the house, and we use streaming to watch everything. Plus, we’ve got a ton of IOT devices, and other devices that connect and stay on.

So, depending on the workload you’re giving it, it could matter.

We upgraded to gigabit via time warner- and it makes a difference for us. We were at 200 MB/s. Then again, we are far from your “normal” household when it comes to the internet and how we use it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT