ADVERTISEMENT

Question. Is IU running different offensive sets during last two games?

I saw one late in the game set ..I've never saw earlier this year. Double high screen on the wing .
One guard curls to the lane ..The second screener pops back .
Durham caught it and hit the jumper..

Seem mostly the same with better execution and a few added wrinkles and counters. I've seen some creative entries into a 2-man game - Devonte and Trayce are the best at it

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Seem mostly the same with better execution and a few added wrinkles and counters. I've seen some creative entries into a 2-man game - Devonte and Trayce are the best at it

I noticed the entries much more than earlier in the year. I’m hopeful this trend continues. I’m also hoping we hit a higher percentage of layups and free throws. I really like the elevated enthusiasm on the part of coach and players. Seems to me like the team is having more enjoyment and less drudgery.

So far Coach has shown a bit of stubbornness to stick to his systems. Offense is generally the same. Try to push for fast breaks, then back out for sets depending on personnel. There is an emphasis on the feeding the post and The bigs might be getting better at establishing position/demanding the ball.

The offense is better with TJD at the 5. He can get more post touches this way. As Race’s minutes have increased, they’ve almost always slid Trace to the 5. Race uses less possessions to be effective and doesn’t clog by camping on the block. This opens it up for cutters, drivers and shooters on ball reversal. Race needs 25 min/night.

It’s been the D that’s I’ve seen the most tactical and critical adjustments. Particularly playing the high ball screen. Teams were abusing us on the big man hedging out too far, causing late rotations. That’s been tweaked for the big to come off much flatter..parallel to the baseline instead of the sideline.

It took Archie too long to adjust imo because of our immobile bigs. But to me, that’s been the difference the last couple games. That and Race at the 4.

We have also seen Davis to Davis also. Kind of fun seeing them work.

With a team that really lacks outside shooting. I’ve always felt like we could use more Flex sets or Princeton Motion is our offense. Guys like Smith, Durham, Franklin, Hunter, TJD, those would have a field day cutting backdoor or using Flex cuts into the lane. Man, if you ever watched the old Gary Williams Flex Offense, it was a thing of beauty sometimes.

Reactions: DANC
I can't really comment about Archies tactics here because I'm no basketball coach, but Holy shit guys keep it going!
This is the most useful thread I've read on this board in what seems like ages! It's been up all day and not been completely derailed with name calling!

ADVERTISEMENT