ADVERTISEMENT

Question for the board - OL Guard spots heading into Spring

IndyIUFan66

All-Big Ten
Jun 23, 2013
I am glad we have the Stanford transfer Powell and loaded up with what 7 OL recruits. Then see we may be going after Akron grad transfer OL too.

Do people (or coaches) not think Mackenzie Nworah is starting G material at this point in his career? He's 6'4 316, seems like he's played a lot and would be natural to step into starting line up next season at one of the G spots (assuming here Crider moves back to Center).

People/pundits seem to be penciling in Powell as one starting G but not showing Nworah the "other spot" too readily.

I think he's played a lot and earned it going into spring. I also like Katic potential as a tough PA kid. And also maybe Beery, who at 6'6 could be a nice interior G player.

Competition is great and I'm for bringing in anyone to compete every year, new FR, transfers, etc. Hoping and actually thinking we should have a good to better line next year and that there is now a growing pool of depth coming into the program.

I have to think Nworah is penciled in as a favorite to start at a G spot this season. If for no other reason, than Powell's recovery is still ongoing.

But there'll be competition. My hope is that one of the older kids separates himself so that young guys like Katic don't have to be relied on as starters yet and get another year to mature.

I've said it before, but I'd much rather have a team full of 1 & 2 year starters as opposed to riding the waves up & down of having a 2-deep full of FR-SO. It's been a necessity in the past, but I think IU is moving past it as a program.

I had high hopes for Nworah coming into the program, but he's been a disappointment to this juncture, imo. He was objectively awful filling in for Stepaniak in the Gator Bowl. I get he doesn't have the same familiarity / playing time with the Jones or Littlejohn that Stepaniak has, but he routinely blocked air or picked the wrong guy blitzing. To be fair, it wasn't just him, but I just thought he'd be an able fill in given his time with the program.

That said, I would prefer Katic or Beery or another one of the young OL's to get long looks in order to build that experience that we need moving forward this year and beyond.

As it stands with no other grad transfers in the fold, I think it will look like this to start fall camp:

LT Bedford
LG Powell
C Crider
RG Katic or Beery / Nworah
RT Jones

My take is that they'd prefer one of the young guys grabs the spot and then Nworah can be the swing interior guy if / when needed.

Anyway, good question as we move toward spring ball...which can't get here soon enough.

I had high hopes for Nworah coming into the program, but he's been a disappointment to this juncture, imo. He was objectively awful filling in for Stepaniak in the Gator Bowl. I get he doesn't have the same familiarity / playing time with the Jones or Littlejohn that Stepaniak has, but he routinely blocked air or picked the wrong guy blitzing. To be fair, it wasn't just him, but I just thought he'd be an able fill in given his time with the program.

That said, I would prefer Katic or Beery or another one of the young OL's to get long looks in order to build that experience that we need moving forward this year and beyond.

I would be happy if IU's OL line up looked like your's. Competition will show if Nworah
As it stands with no other grad transfers in the fold, I think it will look like this to start fall camp:

LT Bedford
LG Powell
C Crider
RT Jones

My take is that they'd prefer one of the young guys grabs the spot and then Nworah can be the swing interior guy if / when needed.

Anyway, good question as we move toward spring ball...which can't get here soon enough.

I like your line up for IU's OL in 2020. Competition will determine if Nworah can be a starter in the B1G. It wouldbe nice for Beery to establish himself on the OL with his size and strength. Let the younger players develop for another year and the older players step up to be solid B1G OL players.

LT Bedford
LG Powell
C Crider
RT Jones

I hope Katic takes over. Rated #52 nationally by ESPN at OG. Football neck.

https://iuhoosiers.com/sports/football/roster/mike-katic/14600

I am glad we have the Stanford transfer Powell and loaded up with what 7 OL recruits. Then see we may be going after Akron grad transfer OL too.

Do people (or coaches) not think Mackenzie Nworah is starting G material at this point in his career? He's 6'4 316, seems like he's played a lot and would be natural to step into starting line up next season at one of the G spots (assuming here Crider moves back to Center).

People/pundits seem to be penciling in Powell as one starting G but not showing Nworah the "other spot" too readily.

I think he's played a lot and earned it going into spring. I also like Katic potential as a tough PA kid. And also maybe Beery, who at 6'6 could be a nice interior G player.

Competition is great and I'm for bringing in anyone to compete every year, new FR, transfers, etc. Hoping and actually thinking we should have a good to better line next year and that there is now a growing pool of depth coming into the program.
I think the construction of the OL is still very much up in the air. I personally don't see Nworah starting, and think he's just a plan B type. Great discussion topic, but let's revisit this in July when we have a clearer picture of who will be there and who is actually going to be healthy by then.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT