ADVERTISEMENT

Question about Hawks

Stuffshot

Hall of Famer
Feb 20, 2008
So, let's review.

The Pacers fire Nate McMillan because he wasn't good enough, replace him with some doofus coach I never heard of and get drummed out of the playoffs.

Meanwhile, McMillan is now coaching the Hawks in the playoffs and may well get them into the Eastern Conference finals. Boy, that Pacer front office must really be good.

So, let's review.

The Pacers fire Nate McMillan because he wasn't good enough, replace him with some doofus coach I never heard of and get drummed out of the playoffs.

Meanwhile, McMillan is now coaching the Hawks in the playoffs and may well get them into the Eastern Conference finals. Boy, that Pacer front office must really be good.
Perhaps you should offer your services as a consultant to the Pacers.

Pecking order in the NBA..
Player's..
Coaches..
Player's bitch about Nate..Something like he's a hard ass..To many practices...On back to back games ..
Coach is gone...The investment in player's is hundreds of millions..
Coaches pay 2 -8 million etc..

The Hawks are fine team but both conferences have been ravaged by injuries. The Mavs lost in 7 to the Clips when Kawhi was still playing. If only they could have drawn Atlanta in round 1.

IMO, the Buck have a wide open door to the title. They also benefitted from injuries to Kyrie and Harden but at least they could be mentioned as a title contender even before Denver, Phiily, Lakers, Jazz, Clips, and Nets got weakened with injuries. I think the suns could give them a series but it is easily the Bucks title to lose until one of their big 3 go down.

Reactions: tbone6004
So, let's review.

Yes, the same Nate McMillan who was given 4 chances to get past the first round of the playoffs with the Pacers and couldn't get it done (including 3 sweeps). He deserved to be fired. Congrats to him for his success with the Hawks.

Where the Pacers FO should instead be called out is that their next hire was terrible and they best get it right this time. The Hawks also have a better roster. It's a guards game and Trae is talented enough to take over. Meanwhile the Pacers are running out two centers, which would have been awesome in 1996... One of them needs to go this off-season. Lastly, they better draft well because that's the only way they are going to add real talent.

Yes, the same Nate McMillan who was given 4 chances to get past the first round of the playoffs with the Pacers and couldn't get it done (including 3 sweeps). He deserved to be fired. Congrats to him for his success with the Hawks.

Where the Pacers FO should instead be called out is that their next hire was terrible and they best get it right this time. The Hawks also have a better roster. It's a guards game and Trae is talented enough to take over. Meanwhile the Pacers are running out two centers, which would have been awesome in 1996... One of them needs to go this off-season. Lastly, they better draft well because that's the only way they are going to add real talent.
Maybe Pritchard is the one who deserves to be fired. NM showing that maybe the Pacers‘ roster was the problem and not him.

Reactions: skippy1813
Maybe Pritchard is the one who deserves to be fired. NM showing that maybe the Pacers‘ roster was the problem and not him.
Eh, if the Pacers themselves weren't absurdly ravaged by injuries, they'd have easily been in the top four seeds in the East, even with their two centers and with that Bjorkren clown coaching. Their roster, including their bench, is stronger than Atlanta's, even with Trae. Good for Nate McMillan. Give the Hawks team four years, and see what they say about his methods, though. Yes, the FO better get the next hire right, but roll out the exactly same team, healthy, and they're right back in the mix.

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
So, let's review.

The coach means very little in the NBA. The Pacers didn't fire McMillan because he wasn't good enough, they fired him because it was time to move on. McMillan and the Pacers lost in the first round every year McMillan was the HC. And they continue to do so. It's about the players. That is why they get the fat contracts and why most players start tuning out coaches in year 4 or 5.

Reactions: kkott
Nate isn't even sure he wants to return as Hawks coach. Sounds like he may want a front office job or thought I read that..

The coach means very little in the NBA. The Pacers didn't fire McMillan because he wasn't good enough, they fired him because it was time to move on. McMillan and the Pacers lost in the first round every year McMillan was the HC. And they continue to do so. It's about the players. That is why they get the fat contracts and why most players start tuning out coaches in year 4 or 5.
Yep, coaching is an odd biz. Someone who does well with 1 roster, can stink with an equally talented roster with a different personality. And, the same Coach who does well in the first several years, his message can get stale and players do start tuning them out. I think that's what happened hear with the Panthers and Ron Rivera. Just makes me think even more highly of Pop!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT