ADVERTISEMENT

QUARTERBACK CHANGE UTAH STYLE

Crossblock

Senior
Jan 8, 2019
Did anyone else see the Article that came out Yesterday about the QB situation at Utah? Charlie Brewer played 4 years at Baylor and Grad transferred to Utah, He was their starting QB for their first several games. Last Saturday Utah got down early and ended up with 7 Punts and 1 Interception in their first 8 possessions. Coach Kyle Whittingham then pulled the rip chord and sent in the 2nd string QB. While Utah still lost, the 2nd QB sparked the Offense and a comeback.
On Monday, Coach announced that the 2nd stringer was the new Starter. Brewer then picked up his Ball and went Home announcing He was leaving and entering the transfer portal.

Not suggesting We do the same thing, but it was interesting to see how another Coach handled his problem with an ineffective QB.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Did anyone else see the Article that came out Yesterday about the QB situation at Utah? Charlie Brewer played 4 years at Baylor and Grad transferred to Utah, He was their starting QB for their first several games. Last Saturday Utah got down early and ended up with 7 Punts and 1 Interception in their first 8 possessions. Coach Kyle Whittingham then pulled the rip chord and sent in the 2nd string QB. While Utah still lost, the 2nd QB sparked the Offense and a comeback.
On Monday, Coach announced that the 2nd stringer was the new Starter. Brewer then picked up his Ball and went Home announcing He was leaving and entering the transfer portal.

Not suggesting We do the same thing, but it was interesting to see how another Coach handled his problem with an ineffective QB.
CTA made it clear Penix is starting on Saturday, but it seems likely that Tuttle and/or McCulley will get reps. If we're up big, it makes sense to remove the starter and give the other guy(s) some playing time and valuable in-game experience. If we're struggling, the Whittingham approach (i.e. looking for a spark) is reasonable and supports going to the bench.

This is our final tuneup before the brutal Big Ten schedule. Even if Allen fully intends to stick with Penix, Tuttle and/or McCulley need to take snaps in a game like this so that they're better prepared in the event they're unexpectedly on the field during a conference game due to an injury to the starter. While Tuttle started at Wisconsin and against Ole Miss in the Outback Bowl, he's yet to play for IU before an away-game crowd. McCulley needs to get his feet wet as we've had seasons at IU where it's been necessary to go to the #3.

Not playing Tuttle and/or McCulley this Saturday would be, in my opinion, a major mistake.

Where did Tuttle transfer to IU from?

See FSU week 1 against ND. Almost pulled off the comeback.

Every situation is different though. I trust the staff. They’re being paid millions to make these calls and they have infinitely more data to go off of than any of us do.

See FSU week 1 against ND. Almost pulled off the comeback.

Every situation is different though. I trust the staff. They’re being paid millions to make these calls and they have infinitely more data to go off of than any of us do.

You sound like a Purdue troll that wants to keep Penix in there.

Benching a transfer in their first year with the program is quite different than benching one who's been with the program for years, has the confidence of the team in being chosen as captain, and has produced in the past.

The difference is Penix is a proven QB, Brewer is not, and I don't love our other options for this season if we were to move off him. I love McCulley, but I don't think a half against WKU would give him nearly enough experience to be ready for Penn State on the road in primetime. I also don't think him taking over as starter for this year is a logical fix. They should just keep his redshirt and let him fight for the job next spring if nothing improves with the other two.

Tuttle is a high floor low ceiling guy to me, in the two games he was in, he showed the ability to be incredibly accurate on throws less than 10-15 yards, and I do think he has the ability to be a great leader. But I don't trust his deep ball accuracy, he's not very dynamic, with the state of our offensive line that's pretty important and again he lacks in game experience, so PSU would definitely an L with him as starter.

I think Penix gets the nod at least until Penn State, if he performs like he did against Iowa in Happy Valley, then it's time to reconsider and give Tuttle a look. But I feel like we saw major growth from Iowa to Cincy. He looked a lot more comfortable in the pocket than he did against Iowa and did have several really nice deep balls downfield(most of his nice throws were under heavy pressure I might add). If he could just limit forcing the ball downfield when there's no one open Penix will be 90% 2020 Penix(only other knock is he is misfiring on more throws this year than last), I still think he is the best option we've got right now.

Reactions: SoccerSammy
The difference is Penix is a proven QB, Brewer is not, and I don't love our other options for this season if we were to move off him. I love McCulley, but I don't think a half against WKU would give him nearly enough experience to be ready for Penn State on the road in primetime. I also don't think him taking over as starter for this year is a logical fix. They should just keep his redshirt and let him fight for the job next spring if nothing improves with the other two.

Tuttle is a high floor low ceiling guy to me, in the two games he was in, he showed the ability to be incredibly accurate on throws less than 10-15 yards, and I do think he has the ability to be a great leader. But I don't trust his deep ball accuracy, he's not very dynamic, with the state of our offensive line that's pretty important and again he lacks in game experience, so PSU would definitely an L with him as starter.

I think Penix gets the nod at least until Penn State, if he performs like he did against Iowa in Happy Valley, then it's time to reconsider and give Tuttle a look. But I feel like we saw major growth from Iowa to Cincy. He looked a lot more comfortable in the pocket than he did against Iowa and did have several really nice deep balls downfield(most of his nice throws were under heavy pressure I might add). If he could just limit forcing the ball downfield when there's no one open Penix will be 90% 2020 Penix(only other knock is he is misfiring on more throws this year than last), I still think he is the best option we've got right now.
The one thing I disagree with you on is McCulley. I'm not suggesting that you use him at Western Kentucky to prepare him to start. you have the 4 game redshirt rule. we all know Penix history of injuries. my position would be if you are comfortably ahead at WKU, maybe you give him the 4th Quarter to get his feet wet.

i don't want to get to late in the season and have both Penix and Tuttle injured and be forced to use McCulley in a key game when He has no field experience. Will a quarter at WKU make him a great QB? No. But it will break the ice and take some of the nerves off if We are forced to use Him later in the Year.

Reactions: ESalum86
One thing people have to remember about McCully is that he was not here for spring practice. That was a lot of learning opportunity that he missed and getting the intricacies of this offense in the few weeks he has been here would be a very tall task for the kid.

The one thing I disagree with you on is McCulley. I'm not suggesting that you use him at Western Kentucky to prepare him to start. you have the 4 game redshirt rule. we all know Penix history of injuries. my position would be if you are comfortably ahead at WKU, maybe you give him the 4th Quarter to get his feet wet.

i don't want to get to late in the season and have both Penix and Tuttle injured and be forced to use McCulley in a key game when He has no field experience. Will a quarter at WKU make him a great QB? No. But it will break the ice and take some of the nerves off if We are forced to use Him later in the Year.
I agree, but I feel like it's safe to assume you won't lose both QB's to injury, until at least one goes down. Yes it happens, but it's pretty uncommon and both are healthy right now.

I agree, but I feel like it's safe to assume you won't lose both QB's to injury, until at least one goes down. Yes it happens, but it's pretty uncommon and both are healthy right now.
Yeah it's not common to have 2 QB's injured at the same time and have to go 2 or 3 deep. But as a cautionary tale let me throw out 2 names from the recent past Who were placed in that position. Zander Diamont and Chris Covington.

Yeah it's not common to have 2 QB's injured at the same time and have to go 2 or 3 deep. But as a cautionary tale let me throw out 2 names from the recent past Who were placed in that position. Zander Diamont and Chris Covington.
If we are up big I would be fine with getting McCulley some reps if it were a blowout, but the line is only 10.5, I think WKU will be able to score, hopefully they won't be able to keep up with IU, but their offense is real. I don't think they want to bring him in even in GT situations because they will feel no need to throw it, they'll just want to run the clock out. We saw against Idaho they opted to bring in a walk on instead of McCulley(probably not wanting to waste a game of the redshirt for no reason). All that being said, I find it highly unlikely Donaven sees any action this season(obviously barring injuries), I just hope that with two years of development he will be able to take the reigns from Penix and flourish as a redshirt Sophomore. Of course if Penix doesn't get it going this season we could see a three man battle for the starting job in the spring.

Reactions: Walt542

of our 4 scholly QBs, how many are truely 100% healthy right now?

how many of our scholly QBs were 100% healthy half way through the bowl game last yr?

sht happens, and teams need to be prepared.

the coach/QB relationship seems to be a unique one in all of team sports, where it's unthinkable to sub QBs, and it always has to be one and only one, even when QBs are fairly even and bring different skills to the table, and even when backups need to be prepared in case of injury.

coaches just absolutely hate, loathe, and despise, ever subbing a QB, no matter what, and would rather the earth spin out of orbit around the sun.

without getting into the current IU QB situation in particular, i'll keep this about the whole subbing QBs thing in general, and coach's OCD level compulsion to always stick with only one no matter what.

imo while sticking to only one often is the right call, sometimes it isn't.

times when it isn't are,

when a game is already lost or won, and getting the backup reps is in the best interest of the team. (i've seen times where not doing this has bit IU in the ass hard).

when QBs are even fairly equal, and the starter isn't getting it done, or just not having his best game.

when fairly equally effective QBs have different skill sets, and making defenses stop both skill sets can be a positive thing.

when one QB is clearly superior when 100%, but isn't 100%.

in no other team sport position is it so verboten for a coach to ever sub a player in and out, or is it some shameful indictment of the starter to ever sub him out, even if only for a short while.

even Cy Young level pitchers can get yanked fast if their stuff is off even a little, or they're getting hit hard even when it isn't.

and they can't be put back in the game at all the next batter, or next inning, or anytime during that game.

perhaps it's the relatively few games played a yr, and the relatively few possessions per game, that keep a coach so locked in on one guy, and only one guy, no matter what, as with QBs in football.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

on a side note, with QBs being so protected in practice, does that protection favor one skill set or player over another, rather than if practices and scrimmages were full speed full contact, and how different QBs play in real game conditions was always being evaluated, rather than most of the time being evaluated in something significantly different than real game conditions??

i think it does, but that's just my opinion.

that question isn't regarding the current situation in particular in any way, but many IU QB battles i've witnessed over the decades.

that said, i also think it's relevant to the current situation, but only because i think it's always relevant to all QB situations every yr.

and the very protected status of QBs in all non game settings, is also totally unique to both the sport and the QB position itself.

not saying said protected status isn't warranted and smart..

just that it does imo make evaluating different QBs in practice difficult, since said protected status may favor one QB's abilities and hide their deficiencies, over another player with a different skill set and a different competitive makeup.

and imo, being that QBs don't really face real game conditions in practice or scrimmages, but only in real games themselves, then when coaches are so resistant to ever let more than one QB play in real games much, actually evaluating different QBs in a real game setting doesn't happen much until an injury occurs, and if you are the QB that doesn't benefit as much from the protected status of practice, then you never really get an equal shot at the position absent an injury to the starter.

and if you are the backup and the starter is injured, you aren't ever prepared because you haven't ever been seeing real game conditions until you do.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT