ADVERTISEMENT

Quack quack

Cavanagh

Hall of Famer
Mar 1, 2012
Opening day 2020. I hunt creek lines surrounded by farm ground at my place. Only saw 4 ducks flying this morning. Saw where two landed about 150 yards from where me and my buddy were hunting. He spooked them when we went to the spot. They flew off about a 1/2 a mile, but my wood duck calling skills made them circle back to the creek for some reason. I was one for one in shooting today. It landed in the creek after I shot it. My silver lab trot jumped in and got it for me. Proud dog dad!!! Fun day even tho not many birds flying. Just need to get one!!

I’ve never in my life shot a gun. If I decided to take up hunting how much practice would it take to become a decent enough shot to land one once in awhile?

I’ve never in my life shot a gun. If I decided to take up hunting how much practice would it take to become a decent enough shot to land one once in awhile?

A wood duck? You gotta practice for awhile. Shoot some clays, but that is a lot of fun, and very cheap.

My first time about 6 years ago, when I saw a good 50-75 ducks in 10 minutes, shot 15-18 rounds, I missed every time. That was just my first time going duck hunting, I had shot guns maybe 25+ times before that.

Now to shoot a deer? You can be drunk and high in a tree stand (most hunters are at least one of the two) it be your first shot ever, and you take down a buck. Moving targets at sun up is something that takes practice.

I was very happy with my shot today as we lost the two ducks in a tree line. When they reappeared it was a split second window to shoot. I'll be real, I got lucky.

Since you don't have bad habits to break, you could be a decent shooter in a day.

Assuming you have average hand eye coordination.

65609fd8a85d2ee57c7e3d8ba396da17.jpg

Reactions: kkott and All4You
ADVERTISEMENT