ADVERTISEMENT

QB depth chart

JWilk1234

Recruit
Sep 4, 2017
I'm going to try and start an actual football thread on this board. Projected QB depth chart. One through 3 are fairly obvious.
Penix
Tuttle
Williams
After them is where I have a question. Do you slot in the 3 redshirt freshman walk-on QBs or put an athlete at four (emergency) like Taylor?

Last edited:
I'm going to try and start an actual football thread on this board. Projected QB depth chart. One through 3 are fairly obvious.
Penix
Tuttle
Williams
After them is where I have a question. Do you slot in the 3 redshirt freshman walk-on QBs or put an athlete at four (emergency) like Taylor?

My guess...and only a guess...is one of the redshirt freshman...I think Taylor is coming on too strong in the defensive secondary...I'm anticipating another leap for the kid YoY this season.

Penix
Tuttle
Williams

I hope that Williams doesn't end up at #3 and he gets a RS. I thought we had some older walk-ons at QB on the roster? The walk-ons are never listed in the scholarship numbers obviously, so it's hard to keep track of who all we have unless they crack the 2 deep.

I hope that Williams doesn't end up at #3 and he gets a RS. I thought we had some older walk-ons at QB on the roster? The walk-ons are never listed in the scholarship numbers obviously, so it's hard to keep track of who all we have unless they crack the 2 deep.
I hope that Williams is the #3 on an "if 1 & 2 get hurt" basis through the first 8 games and that he doesn't see a snap in those first 8.

If it's 60-0 against UCONN and they're trying to get the 3rd team in, I would rather it be one of walk-ons.

So what I'm saying is that I want him to redshirt, but if he's legit needed to play, play him. I 100% don't want to see him burn one of his 4 games and potentially his redshirt if he were needed later in the season because they wanted to see him hand off the ball 4 times at the end of an early season blowout.

This all assumes that he comes in as a true FR at a higher level than any of the current walk ons. If WOs are performing higher now, then let them be up on the depth chart and RS him on full-time scout team.

Penix
Tuttle
Williams
Penix
Tuttle
Williams
Will Jontz (walk on)

Taylor is full time DB now. He "could" at some point play the slot WR in a certain package, but otherwise he's not going to see snaps at QB.

I hope that Williams is the #3 on an "if 1 & 2 get hurt" basis through the first 8 games and that he doesn't see a snap in those first 8.

If it's 60-0 against UCONN and they're trying to get the 3rd team in, I would rather it be one of walk-ons.

So what I'm saying is that I want him to redshirt, but if he's legit needed to play, play him. I 100% don't want to see him burn one of his 4 games and potentially his redshirt if he were needed later in the season because they wanted to see him hand off the ball 4 times at the end of an early season blowout.

This all assumes that he comes in as a true FR at a higher level than any of the current walk ons. If WOs are performing higher now, then let them be up on the depth chart and RS him on full-time scout team.
Remember, Williams can play in 4 games and still keep his RS year. That said, it's gonna have to be a dire situation for him to do that I'm sure.

I would like to see Reese Taylor and David Ellis field some punts this year. Let Whop take a few plays off. He took a ton of hits last year.

i'm a fair catch every punt and take every kickoff at the 25 guy.

the kickoffs i see being attempted to be returned are WTF are they thinking, as if they and their coaches are totally unaware you can just take them at the 25.

as for punts, the key is making sure it doesn't hit the ground, or roll forever on rugby punts.

on many punts, i would use 2 guys back to make sure it doesn't hit the ground, or doesn't roll 30 yrds with a rugby style punter. (give me sure handed shortstop and center fielder skills, not speed).

between penalties on an absurd percentage of returns, injuries, and fumbles, discretion is the better part of valor.

i'm a fair catch every punt and take every kickoff at the 25 guy.

the kickoffs i see being attempted to be returned are WTF are they thinking, as if they and their coaches are totally unaware you can just take them at the 25.

as for punts, the key is making sure it doesn't hit the ground, or roll forever on rugby punts.

on many punts, i would use 2 guys back to make sure it doesn't hit the ground, or doesn't roll 30 yrds with a rugby style punter. (give me sure handed shortstop and center fielder skills, not speed).

between penalties on an absurd percentage of returns, injuries, and fumbles, discretion is the better part of valor.

I agree..., mostly because those two plays usually end up in penalty setting us back rather than moving us forward...

Fair catch it throughout most of the game and we might just catch one of their coverage team guys napping the one time a game we decide to run it back...

Reactions: red hornet
I'vegotwinners, I don't disagree with much of what you say above. I, too, see way too many penalties being assessed on the receiving teams. Also, like the idea of 2 guys back to keep ball from rolling (and avoiding a silly play like Whop's at PSU). I was also the guy on here 2 years ago imploring Inge to no longer kick off deep. After disastrous results in consecutive home losses to Iowa and Penn State, he finally got my message (TIC)...

That said, these kids and their coaches know they can make some big things happen to perhaps change a game on special teams. Hoping new ST coach can get IU more explosive in this regard. And if it's not working or not the right situation, when to play it safe.

Yeah, that's why I restricted it to first 8 games. I'm too conservative to risk getting him garbage time in 2 of the first 4 and then find out he's actually needed in the last 3.
I wonder if the season will be full. If we play 8 games, will the RS rule drop to 2 or 3 games?

Reactions: red hornet
I didn’t like making Teegardin the Special Teams Coach. We’ve really been struggling there so the solution was to promote a greenhorn to that position? They literally moved Teegardin so they could hire a better S coach. What does that say? The only thing I don’t like about this off-season is that Allen had an opportunity to hire another really good OC and a good STC, but instead we did the IU thing and give the jobs to guys who have never done it before. More on the job training.

Reactions: DANC
I didn’t like making Teegardin the Special Teams Coach. We’ve really been struggling there so the solution was to promote a greenhorn to that position? They literally moved Teegardin so they could hire a better S coach. What does that say? The only thing I don’t like about this off-season is that Allen had an opportunity to hire another really good OC and a good STC, but instead we did the IU thing and give the jobs to guys who have never done it before. More on the job training.

Sheridan had never coached TE and Hendershot had a great year. If you credit that to Deboer, well then Sheridan got a full year internship on the headset and. Working closely with him. I think Sheridan is a charismatic guy who can relate very well to kids and coaches. Think he will be creative and do a nice job with tools we have.

per Coach T, I was not blown away with his work at Safety per se, and why I didn’t like they ALSO left him coaching husky position too. Special Teams haven’t been special, so I’d prefer he focus solely on that, and if new Safety coach is good, as I’m assuming, then why he’ll it let him coach Safety & husky?

Will allow this: if Coach T is a smart, good coach, then focusing on ST should be doable and he could succeed. I loved Inge’s energy & recruiting skills, but I thought he graded out at a C+ at best in his two yrs as STC. Which again is why I did not like Coach T also coaching Husky. Get ST up to an A+ before adding other duties to that role!

FWIW Coach T was a special teams coach at Valparaiso for 2 years so it's not that he has no experience running special teams.

But ...

If we don't try to run back punts or kickoffs, and we kick it in the end zone on kickoffs, and we rugby punt it for no returns, the ST coach position is about 15% of what it used to be. We can "sneak" through that job, and also take an extra OL and DL occasionally because we don't need ST "depth" - you don't risk starters by putting them on a return or covr team that isn't really hitting.

To each his own opinions/beliefs, but that's not how it went down or why it happened as it did. Time will tell on all hires. There's a lot to like about who we hired, and there's questions of course.

To each his own opinions/beliefs, but that's not how it went down or why it happened as it did. Time will tell on all hires. There's a lot to like about who we hired, and there's questions of course.
crossfire74, you nailed it and I like the hires and changes too but time will show how good they are. Their track records are good and I expect improvements in the team with the gained experience from last season and our new position coaches.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT