ADVERTISEMENT

Pushoff on the TD

The sad part were the IU fans expecting it to be different. I have watched this crap for 40+years...don't think this team is ready for the big time...next season we will be a much better team. This year us about getting what we can...and that may not be a lot. Still, there is time...stay calm...deep breath...we are playing freshmen...this is what it looks like in the B10...

Reactions: Sassy61 and iu2win
Yes it was a bad call, but those of you acting like the B1G is out to get us are being pathetic.

It's a f*cking loser mentality and we make fun of PU fans who say the same thing about us in Basketball that people are saying about MSU in this thread.

Don't throw Pick 6's, and take the points when you can get them. Two things IU can control that makes this a totally different ball game.

Yes it was a bad call, but those of you acting like the B1G is out to get us are being pathetic.

It's a f*cking loser mentality and we make fun of PU fans who say the same thing about us in Basketball that people are saying about MSU in this thread.

Don't throw Pick 6's, and take the points when you can get them. Two things IU can control that makes this a totally different ball game.
You are correct...though it does not negate the fact we are getting homered in our own stadium...been this way as long as I have watched IU FB. We have to clobber an opponent like MSU to even get a chance from the refs.

We aren't the only school in the B10 that get this treatment by a long shot...imo...

You are correct...though it does not negate the fact we are getting homered in our own stadium...been this way as long as I have watched IU FB. We have to clobber an opponent like MSU to even get a chance from the refs.

We aren't the only school in the B10 that get this treatment by a long shot...imo...

Sparty has been called for 8 penalties tonight for 72 yards. Just stop.

Reactions: Larryismyname
Heard the same thing from the announcer doing my high school game last night... their receiver is pushing off and no call... truth was, they couldn't cover the kid and he smoked them for 4 TD's in the second half.

In the video, the IU guy was out of position.

While many reacted in the stadium real time, there were no replays shown that had a material angle. The controversy died quickly.

Let's not go all "Boilermakers" here and sob about officiating. IU shot themselves in the foot more than once last night. The had an opportunity and shit the bed, much work to do.

Reactions: IUCol
The game is over. I saw nothing we haven't seen 100 times before yesterday. This is IU FB. To win that dream season everyone want we have to OVERCOME this problem by soundly beating the ranked team leaving no room for favoritism. This leaning toward the upper echelon teams has been and will be there forever...so crying about it is a waste of time.

Put a team together that wins despite the calls, and we will have more than a 6 win season. Not until then...imo

Reactions: td75
When pushed off, the defender has to make a show of falling over to sell it to the zebra. When a player goes tumbling they will almost always make the call.

Sparty has been called for 8 penalties tonight for 72 yards. Just stop.
This is always the lamest argument. So there have been calls on MSU so that just negates EVERYTHING else?

Such an obvious push off, the whole stadium saw it - so did the ref because it was right in front of him and he was staring at it - but didn't call it. I couldn't talk after the game from booing so much. They would not have gotten that TD on that play, who knows what happens next. 21-7 vs a 28-7 game. Huge difference. The way we played, however, I don't think it would have mattered in the end. But that isn't the point. To not call that is an egregious screw up on the ref. He was right there.....I know because he was just about between the play and where I sit at the 10 yard line, and I looked over at him staring right it.

Reactions: 76-1 and Chriselli
This is always the lamest argument. So there have been calls on MSU so that just negates EVERYTHING else?

Such an obvious push off, the whole stadium saw it - so did the ref because it was right in front of him and he was staring at it - but didn't call it. I couldn't talk after the game from booing so much. They would not have gotten that TD on that play, who knows what happens next. 21-7 vs a 28-7 game. Huge difference. The way we played, however, I don't think it would have mattered in the end. But that isn't the point. To not call that is an egregious screw up on the ref. He was right there.....I know because he was just about between the play and where I sit at the 10 yard line, and I looked over at him staring right it.
You are probably right but... having to go an extra 15 yards would have made it a little tougher. I am not gonna act like the other school and say it cost us the game... it did not help us either.

All the pre game was about MSU and the hole telecast is about them. The big ten wants there top teams to win so they can get in the top bowls and have a chance for the playoffs

I know a ref who does B1G games, he has no cares of who wins and surely is not being directed to make particular calls in favor of a team. He is born and raised in IN and the day someone were to tell him even with a wink and a nod to officiate towards a particular team, it would get out. They don't get paid enough to be on the hook for that kind of nonsense. He likes to see the upset but he isn't going to go out of his way to make it happen. This notion is sour grapes. Was there a bad call, there always will be but that doesn't mean it was intentional. We lost but we'll be alright.

Push off MSU TE on Dutra send game to overtime big no call last year and now this one not called makes you wonder ? But get a first down and half ends IU down 7.I still see this team will go bowling but OL recruiting needs to pickup now guys who can come in and play !

I know a ref who does B1G games, he has no cares of who wins and surely is not being directed to make particular calls in favor of a team. He is born and raised in IN and the day someone were to tell him even with a wink and a nod to officiate towards a particular team, it would get out. They don't get paid enough to be on the hook for that kind of nonsense. He likes to see the upset but he isn't going to go out of his way to make it happen. This notion is sour grapes. Was there a bad call, there always will be but that doesn't mean it was intentional. We lost but we'll be alright.
Is he a gambler? I've known several high school and college referees. To a man, they were no more than two degrees of separation from the gambling lifestyle. They might not have been gamblers, but someone around them always was.

Reactions: 76-1 and DANC
I agree, it is just hard to imagine how a guy less than 10 feet from the play misses that call, especially when he is the same guy who called PI against IU on incidental contact by a guy looking up and making a play on the ball.
The ball was high and behind their receiver, if he doesn’t push off of our defender there is no way he can get himself in position to make that catch.

Reactions: 76-1 and DANC
All the pre game was about MSU and the hole telecast is about them. The big ten wants there top teams to win so they can get in the top bowls and have a chance for the playoffs
You're onto something.

Here's an excerpt from an article I'm linking below:
"This is an incestuous situation,” says Rhett Brymer, a business management professor at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio. He spent more than a year parsing almost 39,000 fouls called in games involving NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision teams in the 2012-2015 seasons. His research finds “ample evidence of biases among conference officials,” including “conference officials showing partiality towards teams with the highest potential to generate revenue for their conference.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2016-12-01/do-college-football-refs-have-it-in-for-your-team

Is he a gambler? I've known several high school and college referees. To a man, they were no more than two degrees of separation from the gambling lifestyle. They might not have been gamblers, but someone around them always was.

I've never seen him gamble. He's just a normal guy. I am not saying everyone is straight laced, I am just saying the crooked ones DEFINITELY aren't the majority and there's just no way a conference has a call in for them to make calls towards a particular team.

I've never seen him gamble. He's just a normal guy. I am not saying everyone is straight laced, I am just saying the crooked ones DEFINITELY aren't the majority and there's just no way a conference has a call in for them to make calls towards a particular team.
Nobody (I don't think) is calling refs on game day, and refs aren't taking bribes. But there's a demonstrable bias in favor of the top teams. Read the article I linked.

Reactions: DANC

The refs should not be employed by the conference, period. Should be a pool employed by the NCAA and paid for by the schools through them.

Reactions: 76-1 and MJE
You're onto something.

"This is an incestuous situation,” says Rhett Brymer, a business management professor at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio. He spent more than a year parsing almost 39,000 fouls called in games involving NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision teams in the 2012-2015 seasons. His research finds “ample evidence of biases among conference officials,” including “conference officials showing partiality towards teams with the highest potential to generate revenue for their conference.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2016-12-01/do-college-football-refs-have-it-in-for-your-team
I've read this article before. Not BS, not sour grapes, not conspiracy but studied facts. Thanks for posting. Now for those who prefer alternative facts; Huge Grin, couldn't resist. Go Hoosiers!

Reactions: Bowlmania
I think there is a bias on the part of the officials, but I don't buy the conspiracy theory. Believe it is subconscious. When an IU defensive back goes up against an OSU, PSU, MSU or UM receiver, there is an assumption that the other player is the better athlete. So any question of interference goes against the IU D back. The school with the better athletes get the calls, and those are the schools with the better jocks and the better chance of going to a bowl. When we play Michigan, they seem to always get a big call in their favor.

You're onto something.

Wow...thank you for that. Sometimes you question your own eyes when a ref on top of what looks like an obvious infraction by a rank team just doesn't throw the flag, goes touchy feely if you even get close to a receiver or QB. So many years its been there like some unspoken black sheep in the family that everyone knows but doesn't talk about. Those stats were always there for interpretation.

But what will it mean to the NCAA?...static...background noise...hidden by the glare of all that money.

ADVERTISEMENT