ADVERTISEMENT

Pure comedy

Could it be-
1) Recruiting
2) Coaching

Is that why his salary is above minimum wage because he is expected to recruit and coach?

It has been said many times here that the issue is not only that they lost but how they lost. The disinterested wandering around the court and displaying zero.zero mental toughness took many by surprise and brings back bad memories of the last years.

How many seasons do you think he should remain assuming no deep NCAA runs?

Your funny Archie can coach. He just needs to build his roster. I played basketball. did you?
Yes and so what. Do you remember coaches saying about a great coach-he will beat you with his team and then beat you with your team? No one will ever say that about CAM.

Reactions: EarlTubbs
IU and Dayton could only meet in the final game so unlikely. It would be a good partial test of CAM and the aphorism.

How many years do you think he should get if he didn’t get past the second round?

I understand about changing coaches but you can go many seasons with the same coach and have no IU standard success until all the stars align just right. Personally I think it’s better for your team to have a championship not too frequently (patriots fans make me sick) but he is coming in after so many bad seasons and then his team plays like s&$t frequently so certainly no quick turnaround. It then becomes very risky to lock him in-just roll the dice again.

Talking about firing Archie. Some of you have no clue what it takes to build a roster. And how to develop players. Archie is fine he just needs time..
Talking about firing Archie. Some of you have no clue what it takes to build a roster. And how to develop players. Archie is fine he just needs time..
Ha for 3.5 million bucks? To find 8 guys who can play in the state of Indiana at Indiana - this isn’t like Musk trying to put people in Mars. It shouldn’t be this hard.

Ha for 3.5 million bucks? To find 8 guys who can play in the state of Indiana at Indiana - this isn’t like Musk trying to put people in Mars. It shouldn’t be this hard.
Post of the year candidate … It's not like AM is some volunteer Dad at the Boy's Club. Earn it and own it.

Yeah I did play and know the effort this team gave for 60 percent of the season is a reflection of Archie’s coaching. And next year when he had another recruiting class in , we stop talking about his roster. You really think this roster should’ve lost 12/13?

So all of the Archie defenders....please tell us at what year Archie will have all his pieces in place and what we can expect. Let’s have you on record to allow a follow after year 4. Is that enough time , or should we just sign him to an extension now?

So all of the Archie defenders....please tell us at what year Archie will have all his pieces in place and what we can expect. Let’s have you on record to allow a follow after year 4. Is that enough time , or should we just sign him to an extension now?

I’ll bite. I’m not an Archie Defender, I am in the camp of give him some damn time with the crap show he inherited. Despite what Vbear keeps saying, which no one believes, Archie has had ONE recruiting class. He is currently on a 7 year deal. No talk of an extension should happen until after year five. That also means that in order to get to year five we had better see some results real soon.

By year five we should see the culture that Archie wants and expects. This culture should also be one that the majority of fans want to see as well. When I say the majority of fans, I mean the actual majority, not the majority that feepaw claims. That culture needs to also include results before an extension is discussed unlike the Crean situation.

An administration should only discuss an extension just before they become a lame duck. Crean was given a TEN year deal and somehow got an extension after four years, this was the dumbest thing I had ever seen. Talk about rewarding mediocrity. It wasn’t even mediocre. Archie again got a 7 year deal. If we don’t make the NCAA next year that seat should be damn hot. Can this team be better without Langford and Morgan? It can and I hope to god that it is. I am more than confident that even if Archie is not the guy the cupboard will be far better off than the one he inherited.

When do we expect a tournament berth ? Surely not year 5. I agree on the culture change. But if regression continues , change will be needed. Let me be clear , I want Archie to succeed. But have to start seeing results at some point. Next year is critical IMHO.

Reactions: IUgradman
I don't mind a "rebuilding" and giving Miller some time to get "his" players on the team. But the lackadaisical disinterested play at times is/was worrisome. If he misses the NCAAs next season, his seat will get very hot.

I’ll bite. I’m not an Archie Defender, I am in the camp of give him some damn time with the crap show he inherited. Despite what Vbear keeps saying, which no one believes, Archie has had ONE recruiting class. He is currently on a 7 year deal. No talk of an extension should happen until after year five. That also means that in order to get to year five we had better see some results real soon.

By year five we should see the culture that Archie wants and expects. This culture should also be one that the majority of fans want to see as well. When I say the majority of fans, I mean the actual majority, not the majority that feepaw claims. That culture needs to also include results before an extension is discussed unlike the Crean situation.

An administration should only discuss an extension just before they become a lame duck. Crean was given a TEN year deal and somehow got an extension after four years, this was the dumbest thing I had ever seen. Talk about rewarding mediocrity. It wasn’t even mediocre. Archie again got a 7 year deal. If we don’t make the NCAA next year that seat should be damn hot. Can this team be better without Langford and Morgan? It can and I hope to god that it is. I am more than confident that even if Archie is not the guy the cupboard will be far better off than the one he inherited.
Crean was ranked #1 when given an extension to be fair let’s not tell fairytales here. If Archie had IU ranked #1 and rolling in year 4, I would say extend him wouldn’t you?

What year is this for Archie, are we calling this year 1 cause you guys want to say this is his first recruiting class? That’s bullshit, this is year 2. Crean got a 1 year pass cause literally he was playing Daniel Moore at point guard, Archie does not get a 1 year pass

Possibly - number 1 would be good , but conference record and ncaa potential would be more qualifying. We were 21st this and didn’t turnout too well. If miller goes to sweet 16 by year 4 I’d be fine with an extension. Progress is all I’m looking for. But in all honesty, I never felt confident in any of Crean’s teams. IU hasn’t had a killer instinct in a long time.

An administration should only discuss an extension just before they become a lame duck. Crean was given a TEN year deal and somehow got an extension after four years, this was the dumbest thing I had ever seen. Talk about rewarding mediocrity. It wasn’t even mediocre.

fred-photo-essay-01.jpg

Every coach in any sport unless scandal appears should get most of his contract if not all to prove what he can do. Sometimes the writing is on the wall before that time comes. AM is on the cusp of that right now. One more poor season of high talent and low performance will mean there will not be a fifth season for him, maybe not even a 4th...right or wrong...thats modern college sports.

What does his salary have to do with it? Do you think a salary makes a coach work harder? Do you think the SFU coach works hard to build up his program and compete with teams like us? We pay Archie a competitive salary based on what the the market is for a coach of his experience and potential.

I think you underestimate the task of recruiting and turning 8 guys from Indiana into an elite team. Archie coached a very poor roster with a bad senior class to a record that exceeded my expectations. He recruited a top 10 class in his first attempt. He landed his primary recruit and isn't done for 2019. We lost 4 games we should have won in a year of unprecedented injuries, And yes, the injuries did matter when our bench for one game was Anderson, Forrester, Moore, and Fitzner. I don't blame Archie for his effort in coaching a young roster in the rebuilding stage with injuries.

I don't understand why people seem to get so much joy in tearing down a team they are supposed to support using bad information and logic. Enough people outside of our fanbase want to see us fail. Why are people helping the assholes from UK and PU?

Do you really think he will survive a 3rd straight year with no NCAA tournament? There were boos already at the home MSU game. I'll take that bet in a second.

Yes and so what. Do you remember coaches saying about a great coach-he will beat you with his team and then beat you with your team? No one will ever say that about CAM.
I've never heard that particular phrase and I played basketball...well, up until my freshman year of junior high and then the competition picked up a notch or two above my god (of many colors)-given talent and motivation. I like that, "....and then beat you with your team". I had to think on it a moment...that's what Bobbie used to do because it was more often than not, one big ass-kicking...a dismantling of the scheme that any opposing coach had planned to do. The thing of it is, opposing coaches always knew what Bob was going to do because he diagrammed all his offensive and defensive schemes of his own a board during his TV show with Chuck Marlowe. I had always heard coaches around the state loved to watch his show, like everyone else. Think about it a bit deeper....You're a coach trying to be successful. You prepare your team for what his team is going to do. However well you've drilled your players on what to expect, it won't be good enough playing against a coach so good he beats you with your own players. Bob was the man. Archie can, but fans, including myself, don't make it any easier for him to achieve what it is he wants to do. We've become an impatient lot. We put pressure on him and it puts pressure on recruiting. It's got to stop or we're going to be in an endless cycle like you would not like to even believe there is no end in sight. No one said it would be easy, said over and over. As much as I hate our record this year and as much as I dislike that he's not more like Bob, there's just something I like about the man so I am okay with putting my faith in him and give Archie some more time with less complaint. Bob may be gone, but his shadow...his army, marches on and that's always going to be a tough act for any IU coach to follow.

One final thought that pretty much sums it up. My wife and I had lunch in Nick's while the kids were on Spring Break. I gave her a tour upstairs, including the Hump Room. A lot of famous people have signed the walls adjacent to the long, narrow passageway leading to the oft-forgotten room of such overflow. One handwritten script in particular caught my eye so I photographed it - it read: " General Jack Bradshaw
(Bobbie's Army friend)!!
Be Tough!
West Pointe Academy
US Army, Ret."

It made me think about how tough Bobbie was. It made his players tough who made it tough for other teams to have to plan against because there is no special scheme to out-wit toughness. You can only combat toughness with more toughness. Most coaches have a hard time instilling that quality in their players when they, themselves, do not possess that trait of toughness, a trait of bullying that creates a fine line with social acceptance in today's twisted society.

I've never heard that particular phrase and I played basketball...well, up until my freshman year of junior high and then the competition picked up a notch or two above my god (of many colors)-given talent and motivation. I like that, "....and then beat you with your team". I had to think on it a moment...that's what Bobbie used to do because it was more often than not, one big ass-kicking...a dismantling of the scheme that any opposing coach had planned to do. The thing of it is, opposing coaches always knew what Bob was going to do because he diagrammed all his offensive and defensive schemes of his own a board during his TV show with Chuck Marlowe. I had always heard coaches around the state loved to watch his show, like everyone else. Think about it a bit deeper....You're a coach trying to be successful. You prepare your team for what his team is going to do. However well you've drilled your players on what to expect, it won't be good enough playing against a coach so good he beats you with your own players. Bob was the man. Archie can, but fans, including myself, don't make it any easier for him to achieve what it is he wants to do. We've become an impatient lot. We put pressure on him and it puts pressure on recruiting. It's got to stop or we're going to be in an endless cycle like you would not like to even believe there is no end in sight. No one said it would be easy, said over and over. As much as I hate our record this year and as much as I dislike that he's not more like Bob, there's just something I like about the man so I am okay with putting my faith in him and give Archie some more time with less complaint. Bob may be gone, but his shadow...his army, marches on and that's always going to be a tough act for any IU coach to follow.

One final thought that pretty much sums it up. My wife and I had lunch in Nick's while the kids were on Spring Break. I gave her a tour upstairs, including the Hump Room. A lot of famous people have signed the walls adjacent to the long, narrow passageway leading to the oft-forgotten room of such overflow. One handwritten script in particular caught my eye so I photographed it - it read: " General Jack Bradshaw
(Bobbie's Army friend)!!
Be Tough!
West Pointe Academy
US Army, Ret."

It made me think about how tough Bobbie was. It made his players tough who made it tough for other teams to have to plan against because there is no special scheme to out-wit toughness. You can only combat toughness with more toughness. Most coaches have a hard time instilling that quality in their players when they, themselves, do not possess that trait of toughness, a trait of bullying that creates a fine line with social acceptance in today's twisted society.
You made a lot of great points. One reason I think he will get the job done is his calm manner that can at the same time erupt when it is called for. Crean talked too much and his pacing looked like nervousness and a lack of confidence. The T Archie got last night was the first I can remember. When he got it, I think it got the attention of the team and the officials. I rarely get mad, or show that I am mad. My kids say that when I get mad and yell, they realize they have done something really wrong and they listen. I get Archie. I see what he is building.

You referenced Knight. I think it was interesting that he made a rare comment about IU to say Archie was a good choice because he can coach. He also mentioned the impatience of the IU fans. RMK isn't going to give praise to anything IU does unless he believes it.

By year five? Good Lord it’s basketball. Five guys on the court. It shouldn’t take five years. And it’s Indiana. Not Lamar. Shouldn’t be this hard at Indiana. Too many excuses and acting like we’re doing something bigger than it is....

Sign me up for the ignorant and weak willed crowd! They seem to be more fun than the self-righteous and highly intelligent ones!

Sign me up for the ignorant and weak willed crowd! They seem to be more fun than the self-righteous and highly intelligent ones!
No need to sign up. You can be a charter member and club President. You can bring your several aliases with you and form a couple of offshoot chapters like the "mentally-challenged and delusional" club or the "reveal your stupidity with every post" club.

No need to sign up. You can be a charter member and club President. You can bring your several aliases with you and form a couple of offshoot chapters like the "mentally-challenged and delusional" club or the "reveal your stupidity with every post" club.
Thanks will do!!!! No aliases just me. Sorry to disappoint you.

(Bobbie's Army friend)!!
Be Tough!
West Pointe Academy
US Army, Ret."

I understand where you are coming from but just do not agree with your views. Where would you rate CAM against current conference coaches. Is he clearly the best or middle on the pack or what? I would be surprised if anyone even on this board would say he is clearly the best. Thinking for a second about this board i guess i wouldnt be that surprised. Do you expect at the end of the day Arch will be in the hall of fame? I dont think that he will and also think that IU basketball deserves that level of coach. Anything less is gonna result in a lot of heartache for IU fans for the forseeable future.

Any player that would make his decision based on what is posted on this board probably needs a psych exam. All players know that wins and good play wash away sins. Just play well and win and fans will be off your back.

The opposing argument is that you are helping the opposition by locking in a coach that they believe they can beat for many years.

This from a guy that has what looks like an effin Pokemon symbol for an avatar.

Oh and look...a "like" from another one of your lame personalities...

You really have this down to a science. If only you could disguise your weak-ass prose.

Who's gonna respond next...?

Oh and look...a "like" from another one of your lame personalities...

You really have this down to a science. If only you could disguise your weak-ass prose.

Who's gonna respond next...?
You and your pack boys going to don your regalia and go to see Pikachu together on opening night at the Bijou.

Probably same person who said Crean just needed time.
Aren't the same people who said Crean should be fired the same as those who are calling for Miller's head? My view is that if you don't have consistent leadership at the top then you are not a consistent organization. Just pick any business from NBA,College, or High School if the coaches are being replaced a lot the schools never become a power. Sometimes it takes time to develop the winning culture that is needed. If we aren't patient then we are doomed to mediocrity.

Aren't the same people who said Crean should be fired the same as those who are calling for Miller's head? My view is that if you don't have consistent leadership at the top then you are not a consistent organization. Just pick any business from NBA,College, or High School if the coaches are being replaced a lot the schools never become a power. Sometimes it takes time to develop the winning culture that is needed. If we aren't patient then we are doomed to mediocrity.
Yup you always need that leadership stability like Castro in Cuba. Cuba really benefitted from his long term leadership.

It depends how far above mediocrity you want to rise. If you want to be a few games above 500 then then a relatively large number of coaches can do it. If you want to lose a handful or games a year and be in the national championship discussion then you need a higher level of coach. You need to be a hall of fame level coach. CAM doesnt provide that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT