ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue's field...

IUCrazy2

Hall of Famer
Mar 7, 2004
Is it just me or is the Ross Ade field consistently one of the worst in the Big Ten? And I am not talking about who plays on it but the field itself is always a sloppy mess by the end of the year. They need to spend some of that BTN money and put in a field that is not going to become a ripped up mud bowl anytime it rains.

Is it just me or is the Ross Ade field consistently one of the worst in the Big Ten? And I am not talking about who plays on it but the field itself is always a sloppy mess by the end of the year. They need to spend some of that BTN money and put in a field that is not going to become a ripped up mud bowl anytime it rains.

It's a matter of pride for them, even though in this day and age there's really no reason not to have the artificial turf if you're in the North. It is the grass surface they developed. It's akin to IU not being able to have a big-time marching band because it's part of the music school.......doesn't make sense, but that's the way it is.

Funny thing is, artificial turf would work better for their pass-first offense.

It’s been that way forever. The Purdue ag people like to brag about the prescription turf but the shit is a blotchy mud pit after the end of October every damn year.

Teams are subjected to play something that looks like a WW1 battlefield:

the-mud-and-barbed-wire-of-passchendaele.jpg

It’s been that way forever. The Purdue ag people like to brag about the prescription turf but the shit is a blotchy mud pit after the end of October every damn year.

funniest thing I've seen you post HAHA

Reactions: mk23
What do you expect from a university filled with agronomists to create the perfect grass hybrid and engineers to create a perfect field drainage system?

I mean, the engineers have yet to figure out a means of propulsion for their beloved drum. One problem at a time!

Lambeau has grass, so it can be done.

The problem is that they use a southern Bermuda grass can go dormant a month or 2 before northern grasses. The primary benefit of Bermuda is that it is easier/cheaper to maintain in the summer.

Reactions: HereYouGoIU
Whats sad is they offer a turf management course. But yet there turf is always s***!

Reactions: 76-1
Whats sad is they offer a turf management course. But yet there turf is always s***!

What's equally amazing is that rather than attempt to solve their turf problem, they've focused their resources on replacing their video screen:confused:...:rolleyes:

I guess that makes some sense (using p u logic)..., in that if you're going to play most of your games on a something that actually looks worse than a World War One "No Mans Land" expanse, then it's best to distract the fans eyes from it as much as possible...:rolleyes:

Unfortunately..., the players are still stuck having to attempt to play on it...:eek:

I'm amazed the rest of the Big Ten hasn't simply issued them an ultimatum: "either fix it..., or give up your home games". :mad:

It's a player safety issue..., and..., before 60 of them rush over here to defend that chunky matrix of dead grass and mud/sand slurry they call a football field and attempt to call it safe for play.....: I give them R. Moore as exhibit # 1...

What's really sad is that they don't realize that in a pathetic "turf" attempt to gain a home field edge they've screwed themselves nearly as often as the opponent..., but they can't bring themselves to admit it... :confused:

Classic p u...:rolleyes:

Reactions: midwolfe
I attended quite a few games @ Ross Ade late 80's through the mid 90's including all the bucket games, and even back then their field magically turns to crap around late October and stays that way through the Bucket game. I got to see quite a few PUke teams take butt whuppins during that time frame including a few Bucket game losses. I worked for a few companies in the finance business during that time and we had several clients in the area who would offer us free tickets. I would always jump on the OSU, Michigan and of course IU games as well as a handful of others.Then again, they weren't a hot ticket considering we were talking the Akers and Colletto years.

Last edited:
Reactions: DANC and 76-1
What's equally amazing is that rather than attempt to solve their turf problem, they've focused their resources on replacing their video screen:confused:...:rolleyes:

I guess that makes some sense (using p u logic)..., in that if you're going to play most of your games on a something that actually looks worse than a World War One "No Mans Land" expanse, then it's best to distract the fans eyes from it as much as possible...:rolleyes:

Unfortunately..., the players are still stuck having to attempt to play on it...:eek:

I'm amazed the rest of the Big Ten hasn't simply issued them an ultimatum: "either fix it..., or give up your home games". :mad:

It's a player safety issue..., and..., before 60 of them rush over here to defend that chunky matrix of dead grass and mud/sand slurry they call a football field and attempt to call it safe for play.....: I give them R. Moore as exhibit # 1...

What's really sad is that they don't realize that in a pathetic "turf" attempt to gain a home field edge they've screwed themselves nearly as often as the opponent..., but they can't bring themselves to admit it... :confused:

Classic p u...:rolleyes:
I've seen high schools with better video boards than that pathetic thing.

I laugh when I read how the Purdue game 'experience' is so much better than IUs. That place is a dump and has been since it was built 90 years ago.

Is that true? My wife knows one of Bob's exes... According to her, Bob is deranged. I would be surprised if this lasts past Christmas.

Sounds like maybe those TV ads weren't an "act"...;)

My first thought when it heard about it was that a guy would have to be nuts to put his name on "that" field....

Last edited:
Reactions: IUCX9
Sounds like maybe those TV ads weren't an "act"...;)

My first thought when it heard about it was that a guy would have to be nuts to put his name into n "that" field....

He "sat" a couple rows in front of my crew a few years ago. I kept thinking "who is this lunatic and why doesn't he sit the f down?" Then I finally figured out who he was. He clearly thought everyone around there came to see him. Nutjob for sure.

Is that true? My wife knows one of Bob's exes... According to her, Bob is deranged. I would be surprised if this lasts past Christmas.

Bob Rohrman had a severe stroke several years ago and has been incapacitated. His children are running the business now with the help of longtime trusted advisors. He was a superb, self made businessman and “he said that she said” tales are just that - tales.

Bob Rohrman had a severe stroke several years ago and has been incapacitated. His children are running the business now with the help of longtime trusted advisors. He was a superb, self made businessman and “he said that she said” tales are just that - tales.

They'd best take a long hard look at their "advisors" if that's how they're recommending his money be spent... :confused:

Attaching an otherwise respected family name to that mud hole, at that price, is more than a little questionable...

Last edited:
According to those who worked for him, he was a tightwad and terror to the employees. Not that much different than any other owner/manager, but he clearly has always been fruity.

I've lived close to Lafayette growing up and the man was constantly on TV. He's definitely in love with himself.

And now Purdue is attached to him in perpetuity. I love it!

Reactions: mk23 and 76-1
They'd best take a long hard look at their "advisors" if that's how they're recommending his money be spent... :confused:

Attaching an otherwise respected family name to that mud hole, at that price, is more than a little questionable...
Actually, I think they're a perfect match!

Reactions: mk23 and 76-1
According to those who worked for him, he was a tightwad and terror to the employees. Not that much different than any other owner/manager, but he clearly has always been fruity.

I've lived close to Lafayette growing up and the man was constantly on TV. He's definitely in love with himself.

Most car dealers I have worked with are in love with themselves. Its why they do their own ads and pay a royal sum to sit in a courtside chair in The Assembly Hall. Nature of the beast.

Reactions: mk23 and DANC
Most car dealers I have worked with are in love with themselves. Its why they do their own ads and pay a royal sum to sit in a courtside chair in The Assembly Hall. Nature of the beast.
You wouldn't be talking about a certain dealer who started in Noblesville, would you?

I like his spokesperson!

She does some ads in southern states that are...quite a bit saltier. Smokeshow.
She used to do ads here in Florida around Ft. Myers. The schtick was that the dealer's deals were always "HUUUUGE". He always had a couple hotties come on and say "It's HUUUUGE". She was one of the hotter ones.

Yeah he is in love with himself for sure, as all his Tv commercials intimate Plus he has a few skeletons in the closet such as..

My mother in law worked at a hospital in Lafayette as a nurse. BR came into the ER wirh “something” stuck in his orifice that needed to be removed immediately. I won’t say what “it” was, this is a first hand testimonial. Definitely an embarrassing and hush hush moment.

BR has done a lot for the Lafayette/W Lafayette communities so clearly he wants to help. But there are definitely “skulls” in his closet as a free wheeling multi millionaire.

Yeah he is in love with himself for sure, as all his Tv commercials intimate Plus he has a few skeletons in the closet such as..

My mother in law worked at a hospital in Lafayette as a nurse. BR came into the ER wirh “something” stuck in his orifice that needed to be removed immediately. I won’t say what “it” was, this is a first hand testimonial. Definitely an embarrassing and hush hush moment.

BR has done a lot for the Lafayette/W Lafayette communities so clearly he wants to help. But there are definitely “skulls” in his closet as a free wheeling multi millionaire.

Yo...over the line dude. Strongly suggest you take this down.

Reactions: ESalum86
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT