ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue

Look friend,

I can admit that I respect Kentucky's program but it doesnt mean I pull for them. Like I told Sir Courtsense, my team is INDIANA HOOSIERS (and occasionally notre dame football). Find ONE single post of mine where i haven't been ANYTHING but supportive of IU hoops and football.

Find one gall dang post and get back to me.
Here’s one of you freaking out on RR...

84-65. Un ****ing acceptable

Gene Keady has less:

Tourney appearances
Big Ten titles
Final Four's
National Titles

Gene Keady is a hall of fame coach but inferior in any and every way possible to Bob Knight.

I think part of the difference and remember Keady played football. Knight wanted to win but also in a certain way, where Keady's teams won while playing some of the ugliest basketball to watch ever. They were tough and hard nosed,
no doubt and not saying dirty, but ugly basketball mostly.

Reactions: 76-1
5 years is more than long enough to show if you are a special coach or not, especially at IU. I'd rather yank the subpar coach off the mound earlier than later. The 9 year BS with Crean shouldn't happen.
He just said he picked Purdue because MP did not want him to be a hero, just a good player. He was not a guy who would have wanted to be a Big Shot at IU or in Bloomington. He is very grounded. He wants to become a great player. He is the consummate team guy. Painter has Cuonzo Martin’s son, Stanford’s top assistant’s son and Central Catholic Coach Dave Barrett’s son. Fletcher Loyer from Homestead is also a coach’s son. Those endorsements by sons of coaches do not hurt in recruiting.

We got a coaches son too. One from Indiana, where he taught him how to shoot. Just kidding on track to be the worst three point shooter in Indiana basketball history. Romeos record is not safe with Trey on the loose.

So the reports about him not wanting to be in the spotlight at IU were accurate?
That is NOT the reason he went to Purdue over the others. As des said, those that know the game better think highly of Matt and Trey got advice from more knowledgable people than generally happens. Trey is well grounded like Des said and that "substance" over "sparkle" was more comfort for Trey at Purdue. THAT substance provided in Trey's video an almost perfect score between the two. You might recall that Brad Stevens said in the last tourney that if he had a son he "too" would want him to play for Matt or Tony Bennett. Matt and Brad's relationship and respect for each was shown after Purdue beat MSU in the final seconds. Later Matt called Brad and asked him how he handles in the NBA when there is so much "holding" something that broke up the earlier option before Tre made the winning basket.

None of this is an attemp to say Tre was too good for IU or a slam at IU in any manner. It is only to say that there are reasons why Trey wanted to go to Purdue ane he probably made a more informed decision than most recruits at that point in his life. Trey made an informed decision and chose Purdue. There will be a recruiting battle and that player may well make an informed decision and choose IU in the future.

That is NOT the reason he went to Purdue over the others. As des said, those that know the game better think highly of Matt and Trey got advice from more knowledgable people than generally happens. Trey is well grounded like Des said and that "substance" over "sparkle" was more comfort for Trey at Purdue. THAT substance provided in Trey's video an almost perfect score between the two. You might recall that Brad Stevens said in the last tourney that if he had a son he "too" would want him to play for Matt or Tony Bennett. Matt and Brad's relationship and respect for each was shown after Purdue beat MSU in the final seconds. Later Matt called Brad and asked him how he handles in the NBA when there is so much "holding" something that broke up the earlier option before Tre made the winning basket.

None of this is an attemp to say Tre was too good for IU or a slam at IU in any manner. It is only to say that there are reasons why Trey wanted to go to Purdue ane he probably made a more informed decision than most recruits at that point in his life. Trey made an informed decision and chose Purdue. There will be a recruiting battle and that player may well make an informed decision and choose IU in the future.
Kaufman is only your 2nd top 50 player since 2007. Let’s calm down with the “everyone wants to play for Painter” lol.

Trey chose Purdue because IU was too big of a stage for him... 😏

I think part of the difference and remember Keady played football. Knight wanted to win but also in a certain way, where Keady's teams won while playing some of the ugliest basketball to watch ever. They were tough and hard nosed,
Ugly? Are you being serious with this? As a long time IU fan, no one had that view during the BK / GK days.

Ugly? Are you being serious with this? As a long time IU fan, no one had that view during the BK / GK days.
I think it was the lighting in Mackay back then. Was like a dungeon in there...(TIC...mostly)

nothing ugly about hard nosed defense, hedging screens, blocking out, setting solid screens on offense and taking charges and high percentage shots. RMK perfected that very same style, the lighting was just better inside the hall.

All games from the 80s look ugly now to those who prefer the shoot-at-will-from-all distances offense and laissez-faire AAU defense. Say what you want but those PU and IU teams from the 80s would crush the products on the floor today with their mental and physical toughness.

and there was nothing 'ugly' about Trow Lewis' game. came off screens to shoot as fluid as anyone I've seen.

I think it was the lighting in Mackay back then. Was like a dungeon in there...(TIC...mostly)

nothing ugly about hard nosed defense, hedging screens, blocking out, setting solid screens on offense and taking charges and high percentage shots. RMK perfected that very same style, the lighting was just better inside the hall.

All games from the 80s look ugly now to those who prefer the shoot-at-will-from-all distances offense and laissez-faire AAU defense. Say what you want but those PU and IU teams from the 80s would crush the products on the floor today with their mental and physical toughness.

and there was nothing 'ugly' about Trow Lewis' game. came off screens to shoot as fluid as anyone I've seen.
There is something to the dingy arena and they have dingy uniform colors as well. Not saying everybody but they didn't seem to play as enjoyable brand of basketball in general.

nobody said "everyone" wants to play for Painter. I said Trey did. It really is quite simple to see what I posted...even back before things were public and I was making lucky guesses on this board. If I had your understanding I wouldn't believe me either. I told you the way it was and if you don't want to believe it...I'm fine with that. My "lucky guesses" if you go back to that thread came true. It was strictly guesses and reading the tea leaves... ;) move on. I only posted to correct some information not to get into some childish match of text with someone that is guessing

nobody said "everyone" wants to play for Painter. I said Trey did. It really is quite simple to see what I posted...even back before things were public and I was making lucky guesses on this board. If I had your understanding I wouldn't believe me either. I told you the way it was and if you don't want to believe it...I'm fine with that. My "lucky guesses" if you go back to that thread came true. It was strictly guesses and reading the tea leaves... ;) move on. I only posted to correct some information not to get into some childish match of text with someone that is guessing
I know exactly what your “lucky guesses” were based on. You told everyone you could over DM on your board who your source was and how you came about that source. You happened to provide that information to one of my friends.

You were using a bunch of walk ons that Painter has as proof that coaches want their sons playing for Painter.

Kaufman is only your 2nd top 50 player since 2007. Let’s calm down with the “everyone wants to play for Painter” lol.

Trey chose Purdue because IU was too big of a stage for him... 😏
What stage? IU hasn’t been to an ncaa tournament in 5 years. Upper deck at assembly deck isn’t full. You mean he saw through the glitz and glam recruiting pitch Archie tried selling him? Candy stripes, rabid fan base and all? 🥱

That doesn’t translate to winning. Just means a bunch of casual/redneck IU fans will be leaving nasty comments on his Twitter or social media if iu doesn’t start winning. Yeah I can see why he chose Purdue over that crap.

I know exactly what your “lucky guesses” were based on. You told everyone you could over DM on your board who your source was and how you came about that source. You happened to provide that information to one of my friends.

You were using a bunch of walk ons that Painter has as proof that coaches want their sons playing for Painter.
actually I "referenced a previous" post mentioning those players if you recall. The other stuff were guesses and things I made up to impress my friends...

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TrojanFan004

I was in Mackey when he lit us up his freshman year. It was his coming out party and showed how far apart he and Delray were.

I was in Mackey when he lit us up his freshman year. It was his coming out party and showed how far apart he and Delray were.
Troy could shoot off the screen better than anyone (aside from Alford) and that fit perfectly in Keady's system. Delray did well when he landed with Pitino at Prov and got into the running, shoot from 3 on the fly -style offense. But in RMK's motion offense, Delray looked lost from day 1.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
What stage? IU hasn’t been to an ncaa tournament in 5 years. Upper deck at assembly deck isn’t full. You mean he saw through the glitz and glam recruiting pitch Archie tried selling him? Candy stripes, rabid fan base and all? 🥱

That doesn’t translate to winning. Just means a bunch of casual/redneck IU fans will be leaving nasty comments on his Twitter or social media if iu doesn’t start winning. Yeah I can see why he chose Purdue over that crap.
Even with the recent struggles, the spotlight is bigger and the pressure to succeed is more intense at IU.

Troy could shoot off the screen better than anyone (aside from Alford) and that fit perfectly in Keady's system. Delray did well when he landed with Pitino at Prov and got into the running, shoot from 3 on the fly -style offense. But in RMK's motion offense, Delray looked lost from day 1.
Brooks had really ,really big slow feet. Like feet of a 7 footer but he was a 6-4 guard

Yep. My seats were 2/3 of the up in Mackey and it was hard to read the program because it was so dark.

I believe he resigned in year 6. He probably got one more year than he deserved.
At the time I really didn't like the guy and thought he was responsible for destroying the program. Looking back a few years after his resignation, and especially now, I realize he was a good guy with the best intentions who was just in over his head. That wasn't the stage to make your head coaching debut.

Most important game of the season: PU tomorrow night. Maybe CAM's career, imo. We f'ing need to win this game and it will tell a ton about our team how we play.

• Haha
Reactions: Victorbmyboy

It may surprise you, but both Coach Knight and Coach Keady have attracted student managers, walk-on’s and sons of coaches who wanted to become coaches. coach Knight, Coarch Keady and Coach Painter all have large coaching trees and not just highly recruined players.

It may surprise you, but both Coach Knight and Coach Keady have attracted student managers, walk-on’s and sons of coaches who wanted to become coaches. coach Knight, Coarch Keady and Coach Painter all have large coaching trees and not just highly recruined players.
That happens all over college basketball every year.

This post looks like a crazy school girl wrote it. IU has a bigger stage. It just does. Not slamming PU. I mean does Purdue even have a pay site? Kaufman chose Purdue for many reasons. One of which is the stage. Plus the promise of playing the 3 spot. You look at the value ranking IU is top five. Purdue isn’t in the top ten. I’ll agree if IU can’t get over the hump then we will fall further.

This post looks like a crazy school girl wrote it. IU has a bigger stage. It just does. Not slamming PU. I mean does Purdue even have a pay site? Kaufman chose Purdue for many reasons. One of which is the stage. Plus the promise of playing the 3 spot. You look at the value ranking IU is top five. Purdue isn’t in the top ten. I’ll agree if IU can’t get over the hump then we will fall further.
I think what would disturb a few IU fans the most is that IU wasn’t really his second choice. We were never really in it, or at least never a leader.

Cool story Karen

At the time I really didn't like the guy and thought he was responsible for destroying the program. Looking back a few years after his resignation, and especially now, I realize he was a good guy with the best intentions who was just in over his head. That wasn't the stage to make your head coaching debut.

Goodness no. Mike was in a lose lose position and he knew it. Mike is a good coach and a better man. What he got from IU was unfair and what he got from some Knightophiles was criminal.

There was a hate site call Hooploop or Hoopsloop started by a group of idiots including Gojko Kaisch (one of the few actual Knightophile IU grads) and others. They were awful to the poor guy but ultimately made themselves out to be the idiots.

Keady teams turned games into wrestling matches particularly defensively. They reflected his personality.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crayfish57

Troy came off of screens often on the sideline, he sort of dropped hips and rose and fired in one motion. He rarely got the shot blocked despite the extra motion. He is a guy I wish would have worn the jersey.

Here’s one of you freaking out on RR...

Know ya prob don't care for me n all but I at least appreciate you being civil, unlike Coach. He can be pretty mean about answerin' simple questions.

Only thing i don't get is why you like them Rubbers so much? Reckoned most folks preferred to go bare.

Know ya prob don't care for me n all but I at least appreciate you being civil, unlike Coach. He can be pretty mean about answerin' simple questions.

Only thing i don't get is why you like them Rubbers so much? Reckoned most folks preferred to go bare.
At least you aren’t hiding it anymore.

Troy came off of screens often on the sideline, he sort of dropped hips and rose and fired in one motion. He rarely got the shot blocked despite the extra motion. He is a guy I wish would have worn the jersey.
yep lots of screens off the baseline rolling out of the corner, high jump shot, high release. Almost impossible to block without fouling. Guys like Lewis..Alford....Cheaney...if you wore a Fitbit and birddogged them on defense for the entire game you would probably surpass 10 miles. Constant movement. Rarely, if ever, seen in college ball these days.

Ray Jackson said guarding Calbert in RMK"s motion was the toughest assignment he ever had in college. Like chasing a deer through the forest for 2 hours.

Last edited:
Indiana needs to win tomorrow and shut these morons up. Why couldn’t we just be a Big Ten program that doesn’t have another Big Ten team In-State?

Keady teams turned games into wrestling matches particularly defensively. They reflected his personality.
I agree, he had nowhere near the shooters over the yrs as IU a few but it was ugly basketball. Give keady credit it worked but I hated watching it . For every Troy Lewis there was a Steve Scheffler. Even before Keady, I do think that dingy building played a part. I hate watching dimly lit games and games where the stands go dark . I just do .

Reactions: 76-1
Indiana needs to win tomorrow and shut these morons up. Why couldn’t we just be a Big Ten program that doesn’t have another Big Ten team In-State?
Would that make losing 7 straight and 10 of 11 more acceptable to you? That line of thinking makes no sense.

The new transfer rule (whenever it takes effect) is going to soften the blow of recruiting misses.
Maybe. But that is 2 birds in the bush at this point. If we knew TJD would be back it wouldn't be a concern. But this season IU would be about 1-19 in the conference without him.

Maybe. But that is 2 birds in the bush at this point. If we knew TJD would be back it wouldn't be a concern. But this season IU would be about 1-19 in the conference without him.

I'm sure a lot of teams wouldn't be as good as they are if their best player wasn't available, let alone one that plays at an all-american level.

ADVERTISEMENT