ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue today...

oldcougar77

All-American
Apr 21, 2004
… looked against Michigan exactly like we looked against Purdue a couple of weeks ago. Low energy, got beat to every 50-50 ball, couldn't keep Michigan off the offensive boards, and gave up uncontested cuts. Just like our game, every time they made a run and cut the lead Michigan bumped it right back.

Unfortunately, they might be playing for their post-season lives Thursday night against us. They will probably be lights out.

Michigan, on the other hand, is a completely different team with Livers healthy. Too bad we couldn't have played them a month ago. They are going to be a load going into the BTT.

Reactions: Cavanagh
… looked against Michigan exactly like we looked against Purdue a couple of weeks ago. Low energy, got beat to every 50-50 ball, couldn't keep Michigan off the offensive boards, and gave up uncontested cuts. Just like our game, every time they made a run and cut the lead Michigan bumped it right back.

Unfortunately, they might be playing for their post-season lives Thursday night against us. They will probably be lights out.

Michigan, on the other hand, is a completely different team with Livers healthy. Too bad we couldn't have played them a month ago. They are going to be a load going into the BTT.
Michigan played real well today. I watched the whole game. It was cool that they retired Robbie Hummel's number. He is a good man.

Michigan played real well today. I watched the whole game. It was cool that they retired Robbie Hummel's number. He is a good man.
He is a good guy. Said it was an honor to be able to play in places like Assembly Hall. He's always been very knowledgeable and complimentary of IU in his commentary.

Purdue is not a talented team, so if they don't bring effort, they are going to get beat. They have 1 thing we don't have: they have a system they are confident in and they play that way. We'd be a far better team if we could just get to that point.

Reactions: IUgradman and DANC
It helps having a good Sr PG....

Purdue's best players have been there more than one year. Enough said...

Purdue is not a talented team, so if they don't bring effort, they are going to get beat. They have 1 thing we don't have: they have a system they are confident in and they play that way. We'd be a far better team if we could just get to that point.

Purdue's best players have been there more than one year. Enough said...

Honestly to me, that's a cop out. We have guys who have been in the program long enough to have confidence in the system, program, teammates and Coach. This team has a higher ceiling they can achieve just with some belief and effort. Let's start seeing it consistently!

Yep. Nothing special about IU in this regard. Astoundingly, they couldn't or wouldn't be inspired by the alums/players/coach in attendance when they played Purdue. In turn, Purdue does the same yesterday....

McHoop

Pu and their fans will be more than ready Thur. This game is their season on many levels.

Yes I think Hummell is a really goid guy and excellent commentator. I enjoy the games he does in B1G, very good to see him honored.

I like him less as a commentator and more when he’s in the studio giving his analysis. He knows his stuff and he knows the big ten.

Nojel starting some drama for Purdue. After the Michigan loss, he shows up at the post game press conference wearing a Western Michigan U T-shirt.

Purdue will be ready, but TBH they just aren’t that good. If we survive the obvious early punch they’ll give us, we may have a chance to win. Eric Hunter couldn’t buy a basket against Michigan but he’ll hit 3 bombs in the first 4 minutes confirmed. Shit like that always happens against those scrubs.

Reactions: kkott
Purdue will be ready, but TBH they just aren’t that good. If we survive the obvious early punch they’ll give us, we may have a chance to win. Eric Hunter couldn’t buy a basket against Michigan but he’ll hit 3 bombs in the first 4 minutes confirmed. Shit like that always happens against those scrubs.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to this game. Taking a shot from a team but then exerting your will and hanging with them and then overcoming is what good teams do. It will be interesting to see how we fare against PU and WI, both teams that have shown that kind of will and determination that we haven't yet, but will need if we are progressing as a team and program.

Reactions: DANC
Yeah, I'm looking forward to this game. Taking a shot from a team but then exerting your will and hanging with them and then overcoming is what good teams do. It will be interesting to see how we fare against PU and WI, both teams that have shown that kind of will and determination that we haven't yet, but will need if we are progressing as a team and program.
I feel good about Wisky because we are so much better at home and they are a different animal in Kohl Arena. I think we match up well as they are not as athletic. They have struggled against teams that extend pressure, which is what Purdue did. I hope we adopt that strategy to a degree.

I don't feel good about Purdue for the same reason. They are much better in Mackey than anywhere else. They have problems with physical teams that have size - something we are not. Our small guards (who by and large are not good defenders in any situation) don't have the ability to disrupt their guards and keep the ball from coming inside out. On the other hand, they are tenacious on defense ( I think the Michigan game was an aberration) and match up with our small guards well. Maybe we learned something from the first game and the game with Iowa and we make their post players make tough shots without doubles. If we do a better job getting to shooters and match their intensity, hopefully we can score enough to get a win. I don't fear their talent, but they really have their backs against a wall just to make the post-season.

I feel good about Wisky because we are so much better at home and they are a different animal in Kohl Arena. I think we match up well as they are not as athletic. They have struggled against teams that extend pressure, which is what Purdue did. I hope we adopt that strategy to a degree.

I don't feel good about Purdue for the same reason. They are much better in Mackey than anywhere else. They have problems with physical teams that have size - something we are not. Our small guards (who by and large are not good defenders in any situation) don't have the ability to disrupt their guards and keep the ball from coming inside out. On the other hand, they are tenacious on defense ( I think the Michigan game was an aberration) and match up with our small guards well. Maybe we learned something from the first game and the game with Iowa and we make their post players make tough shots without doubles. If we do a better job getting to shooters and match their intensity, hopefully we can score enough to get a win. I don't fear their talent, but they really have their backs against a wall just to make the post-season.
The only post-season they're playing for is the NIT, barring a few wins in the BTT. A win against IU wouldn't change their status much.

Reactions: cybergates and 76-1
The only post-season they're playing for is the NIT, barring a few wins in the BTT. A win against IU wouldn't change their status much.
I don't disagree. IMO they are the longest of longshots to win the # of games they have to to make the NCAAT. That said, there is still a statistical probability. I'd much rather play them a week later after another loss had sealed the deal for them.

We really had our chance at home against Purdue and completely crapped the bed in that one. That game is a huge blow to Archie and he could regain something by pulling an upset in West Lafayette but the likelihood of that is very, very slim.

If the Minnesota game is a sign of things to come, I'm hopeful. But reality tells me not to expect much this week on the road at purdue and illinois.

IU guards will have to play well on both ends and the bigs must avoid foul trouble. The odds of those two things happening seems pretty low. I'd be glad to be wrong though.

We really had our chance at home against Purdue and completely crapped the bed in that one. That game is a huge blow to Archie and he could regain something by pulling an upset in West Lafayette but the likelihood of that is very, very slim.

Truthfully, I wonder how much the Knight homecoming was a distraction in that Purdue game. Now Archie indicated that it was a non-topic during the practice/prep for game, and the goal was to keep players 100% focused on the game. Even if successful in the lead up to that game, there was just a weird energy in the building that the players had to feel. It was almost as if the game itself was just a distraction for fans, that were clearly more excited/anxious about halftime, which may have just sucked the energy out of the IU players. That certainly had to be reinforced by the extended halftime.

Truthfully, I wonder how much the Knight homecoming was a distraction in that Purdue game. Now Archie indicated that it was a non-topic during the practice/prep for game, and the goal was to keep players 100% focused on the game. Even if successful in the lead up to that game, there was just a weird energy in the building that the players had to feel. It was almost as if the game itself was just a distraction for fans, that were clearly more excited/anxious about halftime, which may have just sucked the energy out of the IU players. That certainly had to be reinforced by the extended halftime.
I think it was really more a matter of poor guard play combined with Purdue’s baseline strength and overall willingness to play defense and push us off the block. IU responses poorly and quickly went away from whatever offense they were trying to run. That game was basically over at halftime.

I think that's quite perceptive and I agree. It was a typically overblown ceremony organized by people who were focused on how good it made them look, not the fact that we were there to win a game.

The RMK appearance at the baseball game last spring was handled much better, and probably more to his liking. I sadly suspect he didn't have much of a say in (or even awareness of) what happened at the Purdue game.

I think it was really more a matter of poor guard play combined with Purdue’s baseline strength and overall willingness to play defense and push us off the block. IU responses poorly and quickly went away from whatever offense they were trying to run. That game was basically over at halftime.

A lot of words to say that IU played without energy and focus, none of which contradict what I said

also, not saying that the Knight distraction was the sole reason for poor play, just a significant contributing factor

A lot of words to say that IU played without energy and focus, none of which contradict what I said

also, not saying that the Knight distraction was the sole reason for poor play, just a significant contributing factor
I don’t think it was just a matter of lacking energy, I think they lacked discipline and toughness. Purdue pushed them out of their game and they kind of wilted, rather than being resilient. I keep harping on the lack of culture in the program and that game seemed to capture it perfectly. Home game, big crowd, biggest rival, national television audience and . . . a meek, uninspired, undisciplined performance and the very antithesis of resilience. Don’t know if the Knight deal had anything to do with it but I’m sure it would be a great excuse for the poor play.

If the Minnesota game is a sign of things to come, I'm hopeful. But reality tells me not to expect much this week on the road at purdue and illinois.

IU guards will have to play well on both ends and the bigs must avoid foul trouble. The odds of those two things happening seems pretty low. I'd be glad to be wrong though.

We don't ever seem to try and get the other team's bigs in foul trouble, but I would think that would be a great strategy vs PU. I think they would be a much easier team to deal with, if they were limited with either Haarms or Williams. You would think with as mobile as TJD is, we could get down the court and get him the ball isolated on Williams. Seems it would be worth a couple looks, but again, it just doesn't seem like it's something we work at.

We don't ever seem to try and get the other team's bigs in foul trouble, but I would think that would be a great strategy vs PU. I think they would be a much easier team to deal with, if they were limited with either Haarms or Williams. You would think with as mobile as TJD is, we could get down the court and get him the ball isolated on Williams. Seems it would be worth a couple looks, but again, it just doesn't seem like it's something we work at.
It will be worth a bunch of looks, but Williams is much bigger and stronger than Davis, and that will again be a problem for IU.

Last edited:

In Purdue's win at Assembly Hall, Aaron Wheeler finally showed up for the Boilers. He was 3/3 from the three-point line, had three rebounds, two assists and a steal while only playing 16 minutes. Eric Hunter Jr. also had arguably his best game of the season, pouring in 12 points while securing five rebounds, two assists and two steals.

Granted, a portion of that offensive success can be attributed to IU's lackluster defensive effort. If the Hoosiers fail to match Purdue's intensity and get beaten to rebounds and 50/50 balls, it'll be another long game for Archie and Co.

Simply put, IU was beaten in terms of toughness, effort and intensity in the loss to Purdue a few weeks ago in Bloomington. The best singular example of this:

At the beginning of the second half, Sasha Stefanovic knocked down a 2-point jumper. He hustled down the floor for Purdue's following offensive possession and knocked the much larger Joey Brunk out of the way for an offensive rebound before drilling a three-point dagger.

We're talking about a 6'4", 185-pound guard physically beating a 6'11", 245-bound bruiser to an offensive rebound. That's simply unacceptable.

Those are the types of sequences IU must avoid to win in West Lafayette.

I don’t think it was just a matter of lacking energy, I think they lacked discipline and toughness. Purdue pushed them out of their game and they kind of wilted, rather than being resilient. I keep harping on the lack of culture in the program and that game seemed to capture it perfectly. Home game, big crowd, biggest rival, national television audience and . . . a meek, uninspired, undisciplined performance and the very antithesis of resilience. Don’t know if the Knight deal had anything to do with it but I’m sure it would be a great excuse for the poor play.

My point was the Knight thing sucked away any benefit that the "Home game, big crowd, biggest rival, national television audience" that you are arguing was supposed to benefit IU.

"a meek, uninspired, undisciplined performance and the very antithesis of resilience"
...in other words lack of energy and focus

My point was the Knight thing sucked away any benefit that the "Home game, big crowd, biggest rival, national television audience" that you are arguing was supposed to benefit IU.

"a meek, uninspired, undisciplined performance and the very antithesis of resilience"
...in other words lack of energy and focus
The Knight thing didn’t suck anything away from IU. Purdue just outplayed them. The Knight thing had nothing to do with it.

Reactions: kkott and DANC
It will be worth a bunch of looks, but Williams is much bigger and stronger than Davis, and that will again be a problem for IU.

...and slower, and less conditioned. That's why I think it would be a good strategy to try and beat him down the floor and get it to TJD early and try and get fouls on him. A lot of times the defender being a little bigger can work to your advantage in drawing a foul, and it certainly works to your advantage if he's tired. We could also try and get Deron on him. He'll get fouls, but he's got a solid post game and he might be able to get as good as he gives. I think they'd be a much easier team to beat if we could play them with Williams on the bench for a good part of the game. Not to mention it helps get us to the line.

I'm tired of PU beating us. Archie's never beaten them and they've won 9-10. That is just ridiculous against a supposed rival.

For goodness sakes.............I have now officially heard every excuse possible for this team over the last 3 years. As I recall, the crowd was pretty damn loud at the beginning of the game. It wasn't until the team laid a turd near the end of the 1st half that the energy left the building.

"Damn, all the excitement around this place is sucking the energy right out of me". lol

IU lacked effort and focus in the PU game. They basically didn't show up to play. As a bystander it appeared that the players didn't care, or want to play, and that the coach didn't care, or want to coach. I don't think it was a result of the RMK ceremony, however, as it's been a recurring problem with this team. It's the reason that we lost 12 of 13 games last year, frankly it's been a problem in all of our losses.

This is a real simple team to understand, but not to predict. Lately we have been scratching the surface of what we can be as a team, because we are actually TRYING. It is evident just watching the demeanor of the players and Miller. We haven't had as many extended periods of laziness and lackadaisical play.

I suspect that we will see a fired up IU team wanting some payback for the earlier egg we laid against them. Throw in the fact that B10 teams have been winning a lot of road games recently, and I'll predict a 15 point W. Assuming we show some fire.

Reactions: kkott
IU lacked effort and focus in the PU game. They basically didn't show up to play. As a bystander it appeared that the players didn't care, or want to play, and that the coach didn't care, or want to coach. I don't think it was a result of the RMK ceremony, however, as it's been a recurring problem with this team. It's the reason that we lost 12 of 13 games last year, frankly it's been a problem in all of our losses.

This is a real simple team to understand, but not to predict. Lately we have been scratching the surface of what we can be as a team, because we are actually TRYING. It is evident just watching the demeanor of the players and Miller. We haven't had as many extended periods of laziness and lackadaisical play.

I suspect that we will see a fired up IU team wanting some payback for the earlier egg we laid against them. Throw in the fact that B10 teams have been winning a lot of road games recently, and I'll predict a 15 point W. Assuming we show some fire.

I agree with everything except that this is "an easy team to understand".....Look, no team is going to come out and play hard for 20 straight games....but holy hell, you're right...it's been like 50% of the time for 3 years with this staff & team......now...two straight games where the team showed up to play....and the coach being wild & crazy on the sidelines.....gotta have it. Hope it's there Thursday night.....

As to the 15 point win.......no way. A 15 point loss is far more likely. But I'd love a 1 point win. I just wish CAM & our guys would take some inspiration from RMK about playing Purdue:

"If you don't want to play, get the f*** out of here....I'm tired of this s***. I'm sick and f***ing
tired of losing to Purdue.....I'm not here to f*** around this week....I am not here to get my ass beat. This is absolute f***ing bulls***. I had to sit around all year with an 8 and 10 record in this f***ing league.....(Y)ou will not put me in that f***ing position again................"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT