ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue is improving. Impressive

Of course Painter can coach. He’s been to the NCAA 7 years in a row with far less talent we’ve had in Bloomington. He’s only missed the tourney 3 times in his career at Purdue. Archie will miss three years in a row if we don’t go this year.
Painter isn't even a great coach. He is competent. We don't even have that.

Reactions: sku
please. Painter has been to the sweet 16 or farther three years in a row. At PURDUE!!! If Painter was at IU he’d have multiple Final Fours.
There’s a poster here who says IU would’ve fired Painter for the performance he’s turned in as Purdue’s coach. Of course, that same poster has been all in on Miller.

Reactions: Radio Zero
Blame Knight. Painter grew up a huge IU fan, but Knight didn’t recruit him. Funny he turns out to be a good college coach, whereas all of Knight’s other former players were just good NBA coaches. Alford was our only hope and he’s just average at best.

Blame Knight. Painter grew up a huge IU fan, but Knight didn’t recruit him. Funny he turns out to be a good college coach, whereas all of Knight’s other former players were just good NBA coaches. Alford was our only hope and he’s just average at best.
Painter ain't the answer, either.

Say what you want about Painter, he runs a clean program and, like Keady, gets more out of lesser talent. His players come prepared to play hard. True, they don't win every game and Painter is no Jesus, but it is hard to knock their coach or their program right now given the game that was played today.

The good news is, in 19 days, IU will have the opportunity to either change or further what is being said on this board about the state of the program.

Reactions: AUH2064
Right, the reigning NABC CoY, chosen by his peers, is not a great coach.

Think about how nonsensical your comment is. What do all those other coaches know?

He’s an OK coach. But he’s hit his ceiling. And it’s not a tall one.

Reactions: jet812
He's a borderline top ten coach in the country..... if you compare results and the talent he usually works with.

Purdue is lucky to have him.... as their admin didn't manage to buttrape the tradition when passing to the next generation.

For once, I actually agree with you

He's a borderline top ten coach in the country..... if you compare results and the talent he usually works with.

Purdue is lucky to have him.... as their admin didn't manage to buttrape the tradition when passing to the next generation.
Plus Keady didn’t try to destroy the program when he left - exact opposite of what Knight did!

Reactions: Bill4411
Plus Keady didn’t try to destroy the program when he left - exact opposite of what Knight did!
And neither of them have been to a FF in 4 full decades and counting. Good coaches? Sure. Great? No. Way too many other D-1 schools have been to the FF to say they are great. This is why the IU rivalry means so much to them.

And neither of them have been to a FF in 4 full decades and counting. Good coaches? Sure. Great? No. Way too many other D-1 schools have been to the FF to say they are great. This is why the IU rivalry means so much to them.
It’s obvious it means a lot to them since they dominate it.

It is obvious the NCAA Tournament doesn't mean much to them. They will almost certainly be missing it this year.
They would be in as of today, where IU is on bubble. And looking at some tough road games. How can you say that when IU has missed the last 3 years, and trending towards 4 years in a row. The cognitive dissonance here...wow.

It is obvious the NCAA Tournament doesn't mean much to them. They will almost certainly be missing it this year.
I wouldn’t agree with that based on Painter’s tenure. They might not make it this year but it’s easy to place their odds of being invited as well above IU’s. Based on your logic, that would mean IU cares even less. And maybe that’s true.

They would be in as of today, where IU is on bubble. And looking at some tough road games. How can you say that when IU has missed the last 3 years, and trending towards 4 years in a row. The cognitive dissonance here...wow.
Who said it was ok at IU? PU keeping Painter around for 15-16 years would be like IU keeping Crean around 15-16 years. If the NCAA meant something to them, Painter would have been gone a long time ago. They named their court after a coach that never made a FF.

PU is 14-10. Yeah, they are a lock for the Tourney all right.

Right, the reigning NABC CoY, chosen by his peers, is not a great coach.

Think about how nonsensical your comment is. What do all those other coaches know?

Your nemesis was in TAH yesterday cheering for her son. I thought about walking down and shaking her hand for putting you on blast.

Who said it was ok at IU? PU keeping Painter around for 15-16 years would be like IU keeping Crean around 15-16 years. If the NCAA meant something to them, Painter would have been gone a long time ago. They named their court after a coach that never made a FF.

PU is 14-10. Yeah, they are a lock for the Tourney all right.

They are in a better place than IU is in at the moment in that respect.

Reactions: Hallrj3
They are in a better place than IU is in at the moment in that respect.
Good for them. Go down to Georgia and ask Crean to come back if you like those results. Hell, Crean could recruit a lot better to boot and has actually been to a FF. 14-10 in year 16: impressive.

Good for them. Go down to Georgia and ask Crean to come back if you like those results. Hell, Crean could recruit a lot better to boot and has actually been to a FF. 14-10 in year 16: impressive.
Including the bottom of the conference team he took over in year 1 he’ll have 12 NCAA tournaments in 15 years not 16 after this season. That’s impressive regardless of the school. Only Purdue, Michigan st, Ohio state and Wisconsin have done that in the conference during that span and I’d guess the list is around 15 tops. That’s before factoring in the clean recruiting.

have fun with that opinion though.

Reactions: EdwardElric
Including the bottom of the conference team he took over in year 1 he’ll have 12 NCAA tournaments in 15 years not 16 after this season. That’s impressive regardless of the school. Only Purdue, Michigan st, Ohio state and Wisconsin have done that in the conference during that span and I’d guess the list is around 15 tops. That’s before factoring in the clean recruiting.

have fun with that opinion though.
I'm glad you are ok with those results: I don't know if you have a choice or not. I am not. To each man his own, as are excuses.

Painter is not in the same league as Izzo, Thad Matta, Bo Ryan, or Beilein.

I'm glad you are ok with those results: I don't know if you have a choice or not. I am not. To each man his own, as are excuses.

IU has been okay with results far less than that, which is why your assertion that IU would’ve fired Painter is complete nonsense. They would’ve locked him in and continued to raise his compensation.

IU has been okay with results far less than that, which is why your assertion that IU would’ve fired Painter is complete nonsense. They would’ve locked him in and continued to raise his compensation.
Mike Davis made it to a FF and was fired. Crean had a FF on his resume, could recruit much better than Painter, and had similar results, and he was fired. Try again.

Well in the data I provided just now he was. I’m sure the national coach of the year award he won voted on by his peers is an indicator that they feel he’s a pretty darn good coach as well but that means nothing compared to the opinion of a fan on a message board right?

Well in the data I provided just now he was. I’m sure the national coach of the year award he won voted on by his peers is an indicator that they feel he’s a pretty darn good coach as well but that means nothing compared to the opinion of a fan on a message board right?
I've said Painter is a good coach. However, he is not a great coach: neither was Keady. Neither coach has been to a FF or had much NCAA success. How can Mike Davis and Crean recruit well and get to a FF, yet Painter and Keady cannot?

You really think Painter is in the same league as Izzo, Thad Matta, Bo Ryan, or Beilein?!? Take off the black and gold glasses, my friend: ain't even close.

Mike Davis made it to a FF and was fired. Crean had a FF on his resume, could recruit much better than Painter, and had similar results, and he was fired. Try again.
Davis was the unlucky coach to follow Knight.

Crean missed the tournament more than he made it which isn’t close to the 12 out of 15 I just brought up from painter. The 1 year he assembled the best team in the nation he ruined it because he couldn’t figure out Syracuse’s zone. Kudos to him for his recruiting though. Dwayne Wade made him a lot of money by carrying him to that final 4 and he’s been selling that ever since. That’s why he’s landing top recruits to go lose at Georgia now.

None of that means anything in comparison to what Painter has done. Davis and Crean made the FF on larks. No one has ever believed differently. You’re way off base on this one. Painter is a superior coach, and then some, to any of those guys, by the way.

I've said Painter is a good coach. However, he is not a great coach: neither was Keady. Neither coach has been to a FF or had much NCAA success. How can Mike Davis and Crean recruit well and get to a FF, yet Painter and Keady cannot?

You really think Painter is in the same league as Izzo, Thad Matta, Bo Ryan, or Beilein?!? Take off the black and gold glasses, my friend: ain't even close.
Lol.

None of that means anything in comparison to what Painter has done. Davis and Crean made the FF on larks. No one has ever believed differently. You’re way off base on this one. Painter is a superior coach, and then some, to any of those guys, by the way.
If making a FF is a lark, then why haven't Painter or Keady been able to do it
even one time? Mike Davis did it! Crean did it! Loyola Chicago did it! Why can't Keady or Painter do it? Why can't Keady or Painter recruit? That is the definition of sour grapes. FF's and recruiting stink because Keady and Painter can't achieve them.

When you accept NCAA failure, then the Big 10 and rivalry games become more important. It is called accepting mediocrity. Cool, you've kept Painter around for 16 years and he is 14-10 this year. To each man his own.

Those are probably the top 4 coaches in the conference since 2000 that you’re comparing him to. All 4 had better NCAA tournament success but only Matta had Painter’s number head to head. Painter was .500 against Beilein and Ryan and would’ve beaten Ryan more if he didn’t retire midway through a season that Purdue swept Wisconsin. Painter is something like 11-13 against Izzo but has beaten him like 5 or 6 times when MSU was ranked in the top 10.

Crean recruited well for three years

Those are probably the top 4 coaches in the conference since 2000 that you’re comparing him to. All 4 had better NCAA tournament success but only Matta had Painter’s number head to head. Painter was .500 against Beilein and Ryan and would’ve beaten Ryan more if he didn’t retire midway through a season that Purdue swept Wisconsin. Painter is something like 11-13 against Izzo but has beaten him like 5 or 6 times when MSU was ranked in the top 10.
You are the one who was comparing Painter and PU to Ohio St., Wisky, and Sparty. You don't get to substitute NCAA success for head to head matchups. That is was PU fans do whenever Bob Knight and Keady are compared. Bob Knight won 3 championships, went undefeated, and coached MJ to an Olympic gold medal. But, remember when PU beat IU at Mackey that one time? Remember what I said about accepting mediocrity?

Wow, Painter has beat Izzo before. That is just as awesome as going to 7 FF's, winning an NCAA championship, and recruiting well. Take off the gold and black glasses, you are being ridiculous.

If making a FF is a lark, then why haven't Painter or Keady been able to do it
even one time? Mike Davis did it! Crean did it! Loyola Chicago did it! Why can't Keady or Painter do it? Why can't Keady or Painter recruit? That is the definition of sour grapes. FF's and recruiting stink because Keady and Painter can't achieve them.

When you accept NCAA failure, then the Big 10 and rivalry games become more important. It is called accepting mediocrity. Cool, you've kept Painter around for 16 years and he is 14-10 this year. To each man his own.

LOL good luck arguing logically with a troll.

ADVERTISEMENT