ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue is cemented as a perennial contender...

I applaud Purdue for their efforts. Purdue gets it, they understand the big picture much better than the officials at Indiana. I think the hiring of Jeff Brohm two years ago was a grand slam hire. Even though he's around .500 record wise, the upshot is tremendous. He's proven what he is capable of when he beat Iowa and Ohio State.

That said, I do think he's grossly overpaid. His handling of the Louisville opportunity is a complete turnoff to me. That said, I wouldn't never bet against him at Purdue. He's already proven that he doesn't need time to get his own players, or we're too young mixed in with the twenty other classic excuses that football coaches give when they lose more than they win.

Let's be brutally honest, we would love to have him. He just bullied Urban Meyer with Ball State level talent. Let that sink in for a minute.

The previous coaches poor recruiting and talent that was inherited is. Let’s revisit in a few years and see who is correct.

Correct about what? Hazells's record? Brohm salary? These are already known.

You Boilers are over here seeking validation so desperately, you're not even making sense.

Reactions: 76-1
There would be a freaking parade if Tom Allen beat OSU. The last time was 1988.

The last time Indiana beat Ohio State:
  • The Simpsons didn't exist
  • The GameBoy didn't exist
  • Taylor Swift didn't exist
  • O.J. Simpson was more famous for being hilarious in The Naked Gun than for anything else
  • Nelson Mandela was still in prison
  • The Berlin Wall was still standing
  • ...So was the USSR
  • Digital answering machines didn't exist
  • The Big 12 was just the Big 8
  • Florida State wasn't in the ACC
  • Long Beach State and Pacific were FBS football programs
  • Barry Sanders and Troy Aikman were college football players
  • The Big Ten only had ten teams
  • The first Gulf War had yet to happen
  • The Top 25 poll didn't even exist. It was just the AP Top 20 (Indiana was 20).
  • Syracuse and Washington State were better than Alabama.
  • Texas, Penn State and Ohio State all finished below .500, but Rutgers did not
https://www.landgrantholyland.com/2015/6/14/8770215/ohio-state-football-2015-schedule-indiana

What a great list!!! Thanks for sharing.

Now how about one the last time Purdue was in a Final Four...?

Or if you're looking for a real challenge, the last time they won a National Championship.
(and ones voted on by bakers 30 years after the fact don't count)

Last edited:
As much as I hate to say it, with Brohm’s decision today will allow Purdue to contend for West title every year. Unless CTA makes some tough decisions, IU will be far inferior to Purdue. And that pains me to type

You are right that his 13-12 record is so far superior to Allen's 10-14 record LOL!

There would be a freaking parade if Tom Allen beat OSU. The last time was 1988.

The last time Indiana beat Ohio State:
  • The Simpsons didn't exist
  • The GameBoy didn't exist
  • Taylor Swift didn't exist
  • O.J. Simpson was more famous for being hilarious in The Naked Gun than for anything else
  • Nelson Mandela was still in prison
  • The Berlin Wall was still standing
  • ...So was the USSR
  • Digital answering machines didn't exist
  • The Big 12 was just the Big 8
  • Florida State wasn't in the ACC
  • Long Beach State and Pacific were FBS football programs
  • Barry Sanders and Troy Aikman were college football players
  • The Big Ten only had ten teams
  • The first Gulf War had yet to happen
  • The Top 25 poll didn't even exist. It was just the AP Top 20 (Indiana was 20).
  • Syracuse and Washington State were better than Alabama.
  • Texas, Penn State and Ohio State all finished below .500, but Rutgers did not
https://www.landgrantholyland.com/2015/6/14/8770215/ohio-state-football-2015-schedule-indiana
And how many people wer alive the last time Purdue went to a final four in basketball. I was but I was 10 year sold so I would say it is safe to say most on here wasn't even born.

Lie, how do you come to that conclusion? Purdue didn’t lose one recruit of their upcoming top 25 class and his current players weren’t worried either. Both recruits and current players said they didn’t believe he would jump to UL. If there was any truth there would have been leaks from over the 100 people involved on Purdue FB team.
Purdue folks claiming brohm has a top 25 recruiting class already. Some great players for sure but I would be shocked if they didn't drop into the mid to high 30s when all is said and done. A single decent recruiting class may be enough to challenge in the west but won't be resulting in any big ten titles anytime soon

Oooh, banners. The point at which it becomes clear someone has last an argument and needs their blankey. We are discussing football. Try and keep up.

I hope IU gets a good football coach and agrees to commit to him when they do, whether that is CTA or someone else. They don't come along often. See the coaching history at both Purdue and IU. I would have been pissed if they hadn't paid $5-$6 million. We have to ride this wave as long as it lasts. If we wipe out, so be it.

So no list then...?

Yeah, I mean I can see why you wouldn't want to talk about Banners and all, having none yourselves.

But if you're going to come over here and throw shit with your stupid little post, you can expect the proper rebuttal.

It's Indiana vs Purdue. Football and Basketball are just parts of it. Try and keep up.

That is more than Texas pays their coach and Top 10 pay. If that is the case, Brohm totally fleeced PU. Going 6-6 isn't worth 6 mil a year.

You may be right but they are looking at last two years and betting on the future. I appreciate their desire and willingness to see what they want, go get it and keep it. Not sure that would ever happen at IU.

More banner talk on a football board. I have lots of IU fans in my extended family. I'm not trying to put IU down. My post was meant to convey that keeping a coach the can beat OSU and much more should be worth 5-6 million at Purdue or IU. It has been 30 years. If you had Brohm and someone wanted to poach him, wouldn't you want to pay or even overpay him? At some point you need to put a stake in the ground and say "we are serious about football." IU fans should be rattling AD cages saying we want the same commitment.
I would like to have Brohm at IU but I don't think he is worth 6 mil a year to keep him. Eventually if an Auburn or a USC comes calling with more money he probably would leave.

118-89
73-41-6

Big brother says hi. Glad you do well on the big stage, but can't beat your brother in the back yard.

Are you still here?

5-0

Big brothers win on the Big stage. Sorry little guy.

Win one. Just one, and then come back and talk smack like you've done something.

My grandfather when Wooden won the NC for Purdue

Hahahahaha...the Helm's Title?

What was the final score? Who was Runner-up?

Ah, thanks for the laugh...

Gallery_large4.jpg

Reactions: 76-1 and LeConte
As much as I don't really care about the IU-PU pissing match, our 24 legitimate Men's Team National Championships compared to zero would indicate the phrase "Big Brother" from a Purdue fan is at best a joke, at worst, delusional.

I applaud them for their newfound commitment to football, wish we would do the same.

That said, outside of Indiana, people see Indiana versus Purdue as either 24-0 or 5-0 when evaluating our respective athletic programs. Just the way it is.

Brohm took 0-4 versus IU talent, added Rondale Moore, and is 2-0 against IU. That is worth 5-6 million to me. Since I help pay the bills, that is what matters and 95% of Purdue fans probably agree.
Probably right. Most Purdue fans measure their entire athletic success on whether or not they beat IU. BTW, PJ Fleck says thanks for hanging on to Brohm.

Reactions: 76-1
Don't tell Notre Dame none of their national titles are legit because they were voted on. Oh, the horror.

But were they voted on by bakers 30 years after the season ended?

Or by sportswriters year of...?

Do you really not get the difference? Silly question, I know.

Helm's...

Bwwhahahahahahahahahaha

Ok? But he is now.

Is this going somewhere?
No, it’s not going anywhere if you’re happy with paying our coach 2 million a year for worse
If he wasn't interested he could and should have said so weeks ago. Simply meet with Bobinski and Mitch, lay out what he needs and then say so publicly.

Instead he told his players not to worry as he packed his bag and headed to Louisville to negotiate a deal that would ultimately not ab approved by the BOT. Had it been approved, he would be gone.

Both PU and UL did what they had to do given the circumstances. If I were a PU grad I would not be impressed with how Brohm handled this; lying to the team. But their vision will be clouded by the good
News and they will defend him regardless. This is how fans react with 100% predictability.
You never could’ve been a Purdue or IU grad. I think most of us here agree on that

I think he got paid at a rate of $2,000,000/upset....I would have paid it too because the value to our program would have been 20x that in donations and excitement alone...imo

What they did was secure winning seasons. I would absolutely take that in Bloomington. Because of the Jim Delany divisions, Purdue can reasonably expect to win more than they lose with JB as coach in the West.

I think they overpaid for his services, absolutely I do. He also strung UofL out, not good. He should've simply told UofL no from jump street instead of using them as leverage and a bargaining chip. Greed.
Or did UL use Brohm. He may have told them early on but if it was quickly announced that the First Family of Louisville had no interest in the job, the optics would have been bad. The only person who knows exactly what happened is Brohm. The rest is all spin.

There never was anything to worry about. Louisville just wasn’t listening. He made it clear before it happened he was happy in WL. I live two miles from his house. If he, or Jennifer or his kids were miserable it would have been known. It was quite the opposite. You do not hide much in towns like Bloomington, Iowa City or WL. They decided Petrino had to go, launched a campaign to find dirt to avoid having to pay his buyout and failed. Went into their already badly depleted “rainy day” fund and used $14M to get rid of him and then focused solely on bringing back the “hometown hero” (who had not lived there in 10 years). If that was not putting all their eggs in one basket, what is? Tyra even said that Brohm told him he really had been focused on fulfilling his committment to Purdue. But, he had to try and satiate the bellowing throng. Meanwhile Purdue leadership said nothing and when Brohm returned home they quietly met, told him they wanted him to stay and the rest is history. Morale of the story is do not underestimate the Big Ten. Not many coaches have ever voluntarily left a Big Ten job for another university.

If he wasn't interested he could and should have said so weeks ago. Simply meet with Bobinski and Mitch, lay out what he needs and then say so publicly.

Instead he told his players not to worry as he packed his bag and headed to Louisville to negotiate a deal that would ultimately not ab approved by the BOT. Had it been approved, he would be gone.

Both PU and UL did what they had to do given the circumstances. If I were a PU grad I would not be impressed with how Brohm handled this; lying to the team. But their vision will be clouded by the good
News and they will defend him regardless. This is how fans react with 100% predictability.
Or how one of the biggest critics of his most hated rival reacts with 100% predictability??

Or did UL use Brohm. He may have told them early on but if it was quickly announced that the First Family of Louisville had no interest in the job, the optics would have been bad. The only person who knows exactly what happened is Brohm. The rest is all spin.

Fitting that you use the word "spin"

Lie, how do you come to that conclusion? Purdue didn’t lose one recruit of their upcoming top 25 class and his current players weren’t worried either. Both recruits and current players said they didn’t believe he would jump to UL. If there was any truth there would have been leaks from over the 100 people involved on Purdue FB team.

You just explained the why. He told them all this while packing his bag to negotiate with UL. The deal didn't get approved so he stays in Laughy until the next big program comes calling.

Take your spin and sell it on GBI where the koolAid and insecurity flows freely. K Ace?

It's less per win than what we gave Hazell :(

It is hard to fault PU for hiring Hazell, though. He won 11 games and went undefeated in the MAC conference that year, long time assistant at Ohio St.: these check off a lot of the boxes of a good hire. A lot of good coaches have come out of the MAC.

Reactions: Futureboiler
As much as I hate to say it, with Brohm’s decision today will allow Purdue to contend for West title every year. Unless CTA makes some tough decisions, IU will be far inferior to Purdue. And that pains me to type

We'll never win again.
Ever.
The Great Brohmbardi won't allow it.

He's a tricksy little Baggins

Actually 2 people know exactly what happened. Brohm and courtdense

Reactions: Futureboiler
ADVERTISEMENT