ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue is cemented as a perennial contender...

As much as I hate to say it, with Brohm’s decision today will allow Purdue to contend for West title every year. Unless CTA makes some tough decisions, IU will be far inferior to Purdue. And that pains me to type
This is hilarious...He has to beat out Iowa, Wisconsin, Northwestern, Nebraska who sucked this year but Frost will have the competing, Minnesota and Fleck who beat the snot out of them will be competing. Jeez unreal

Reactions: 76-1 and Rakkasan29
As much as I hate to say it, with Brohm’s decision today will allow Purdue to contend for West title every year. Unless CTA makes some tough decisions, IU will be far inferior to Purdue. And that pains me to type
Anybody in the West can contend any year. There will be a year where a team in the West doesn't have to play OSU, UM, PSU, and MSU like Iowa in 2015 or only have to play one of them.

What they did was secure winning seasons. I would absolutely take that in Bloomington. Because of the Jim Delany divisions, Purdue can reasonably expect to win more than they lose with JB as coach in the West.

I think they overpaid for his services, absolutely I do. He also strung UofL out, not good. He should've simply told UofL no from jump street instead of using them as leverage and a bargaining chip. Greed.

Reactions: IUgradman
I think they overpaid for his services, absolutely I do. He also strung UofL out, not good. He should've simply told UofL no from jump street instead of using them as leverage and a bargaining chip. Greed.

And that’s why I think that the whole “down to earth, straight shooting, blue collar” persona is just an act

Reactions: td75 and 76-1
And that’s why I think that the whole “down to earth, straight shooting, blue collar” persona is just an act

He definitely ripped them off...

They'll be chuckling about this at family get togethers for decades...

15 year old Honda... What a bunch of rubes..

The only thing he didn't do to that outfit was have his brothers hold Mitch and Boba upside down so as to shake the last few nickels out of their pockets... (as far as we know);)

What they did was secure winning seasons. I would absolutely take that in Bloomington. Because of the Jim Delany divisions, Purdue can reasonably expect to win more than they lose with JB as coach in the West.

I dont think it was a bargaining tool. It was his alma mater and home. It was worth a look plenty for him Im sure. Brohm aint about the money. And get over it.

Allen has a couple things to fix and hopefully it starts showing. We should have had 6 long before purdue this year this team has to stop beating itself. If people cant see that they are blind. Our own stupid crap killed us this year.

I dont think it was a bargaining tool. It was his alma mater and home. It was worth a look plenty for him Im sure. Brohm aint about the money. And get over it.

Allen has a couple things to fix and hopefully it starts showing. We should have had 6 long before purdue this year this team has to stop beating itself. If people cant see that they are blind. Our own stupid crap killed us this year.

This is the second straight year Brohm has toyed with another program and gotten a pay bump for doing so

And if Brohm isn’t about the money, why would Purdue need give him over a $2M pay raise for him to stay

This is bad for IU in so many ways.
This is basically Tiller vs Cameron all over again. Tiller was 4-1 against Cam. 3-0 vs Dinardo and 2-0 vs Hep.

I see honestly think that Brohm may end up being the next Tiller and IU will be back to the stone ages.

The guy is going to be exploading in the recruiting trail now. The in state recruits will be lining up at his door.

How quickly things change.
don't think it affects recruiting that much because I suspect Brohm would've continued recruiting the state of Indiana even at U of L.

but $6 Mil? curious why one state school can apparently find a Mil here and a Mil there for athletics so easily and another (the state's flagship university, no less) struggles to do so. Not sure what the reason for that could be...

oh, hold on; I think I just came up with about 26 reasons....

This is basically Tiller vs Cameron all over again. Tiller was 4-1 against Cam. 3-0 vs Dinardo and 2-0 vs Hep.

I see honestly think that Brohm may end up being the next Tiller and IU will be back to the stone ages.

The guy is going to be exploading in the recruiting trail now. The in state recruits will be lining up at his door.

What a potentially dumb and silly post. He's gone 6-6 two years in a row. He's got some hype, but even injuries could derail them and then TBD. And with this raise and his hype, if they don't crush it as much as people (like you) think, then what? Think it would go over well if they go 5-7 anytime soon?

Let the off-season shake out: any new staff changes, an actual signed recruiting class. IU is far from "no where close" and I like a lot of the FR talent that played this year. Ex: Imagine our DB's in 2-3 years, when they will all be Jr's & Sr's. May be the most athletic and talented group we've had and we have a 4-star Corner from FL and strong Corner from Decater Central (Tracy) coming on board next year. Time will tell.

Reactions: Lillyr66 and 76-1

If Allen doesn't show serious improvement next year, he won't and shouldn't survive. Improvement is going to require serious shake ups on the Offense side of the ball.

Glass has shown some competence in hiring coaches. He waited too long to get rid of Crean, but did and made the best hire he could with Archie. He has made good baseball coaching hires. Wilson was a highly touted coordinator, and he would still be here if he wasn't a psycho towards injured players. We'll see what happens.

Brohm's stock may be as high as it gets. If he keeps going 6-6, the big boys may look elsewhere. If Brohm just wants to go to Louisville after they get their s*** together, then it doesn't matter.

I'll say this, Indiana's football recruiting is 5X better now than it was 10-15 years ago. There is literally no comparison between then and now. The kids we sign now days have nice offer sheets showing multiple BCS offers. We were really in the dark ages 15 or so years ago recruiting wise.We've had some very legit NFL talent work through the program these last 5 years.

We need to hope Allen grows into a better head coach. His reluctance to be the "head coach" and instead continue on in dual roles is very telling. He desperately needs to put down the DC role, quit micro-managing so much. Hire GOOD assistants and delegate the responsibilities accordingly. Continue to out hustle other programs in recruiting as that is a strength of his.

His demeanor on the sidelines during gameday has been widely criticized. The emotional outbursts/body language needs to be kept in check. I could easily connect the dots from his behavior and link it to the goofy behavior we see on the field that produces unsportsmanlike penalties. His son seems like a complete hothead.

I want Tom to succeed, I want him to win every game from here on out and never taste defeat again. He's probably got two more seasons to get it done, barring a collapse in 2019.

I'll say this, Indiana's football recruiting is 5X better now than it was 10-15 years ago. There is literally no comparison between then and now. The kids we sign now days have nice offer sheets showing multiple BCS offers. We were really in the dark ages 15 or so years ago recruiting wise.We've had some very legit NFL talent work through the program these last 5 years.

We need to hope Allen grows into a better head coach. His reluctance to be the "head coach" and instead continue on in dual roles is very telling. He desperately needs to put down the DC role, quit micro-managing so much. Hire GOOD assistants and delegate the responsibilities accordingly. Continue to out hustle other programs in recruiting as that is a strength of his.

His demeanor on the sidelines during gameday has been widely criticized. The emotional outbursts/body language needs to be kept in check. I could easily connect the dots from his behavior and link it to the goofy behavior we see on the field that produces unsportsmanlike penalties. His son seems like a complete hothead.

I want Tom to succeed, I want him to win every game from here on out and never taste defeat again. He's probably got two more seasons to get it done, barring a collapse in 2019.

I don’t know if CTA is the right guy? I also don’t know who is. Personally I see a lot of similarities in CTA as Crean. That’s just perspective. I think as 76-1 pointed out, with the right staff CTA can be a a big winner here. I’m tired of the excuses from our fan base though. We are the biggest bunch of freakin whiners ever!!!! We literally have a freakin excuse for every problem wrong with this team!!!! If it’s not the refs, it’s the division. Delany has a hidden agenda against us! We need a coach who can get his team and fan base to not accept losing anymore!! The built in excuses are what’s holding us back!! CTA needs to get that, we as fans do as well!!!

I don’t know if CTA is the right guy? I also don’t know who is. Personally I see a lot of similarities in CTA as Crean. That’s just perspective. I think as 76-1 pointed out, with the right staff CTA can be a a big winner here. I’m tired of the excuses from our fan base though. We are the biggest bunch of freakin whiners ever!!!! We literally have a freakin excuse for every problem wrong with this team!!!! If it’s not the refs, it’s the division. Delany has a hidden agenda against us! We need a coach who can get his team and fan base to not accept losing anymore!! The built in excuses are what’s holding us back!! CTA needs to get that, we as fans do as well!!!
When Crean would do his post-game interview everything that came out of his mouth was gibberish. At least CTA is coherent. And that means he most likely makes sense to the players. I imagine the hoopsters were constantly wondering what the hell CTC was talking about.

$6 Mil? curious why one state school can apparently find a Mil here and a Mil there for athletics so easily and another (the state's flagship university, no less) struggles to do so. Not sure what the reason for that could be...

oh, hold on; I think I just came up with about 26 reasons....

Make that 26 and a half reasons.

Reactions: IUgradman
I don’t really think the fans excuses are holding our football team back. Maybe a lack of players, or poor coaching, or bad judgement by the players on the field are holding us back, but fan excuses have very little to do with it.

Now fan excuses may be what is holding attendenance back, but the program has been terrible for a very long time and there are many reasons that also have nothing to do with the fans excuses.

The question is how can Indiana University build a decent football program with the history they have. Whoever does it is going to have a very difficult job and will take some time. At least this staff seems to be improving the players they are bringing in. That’s a good start. Let’s see if they can figure out how to move that to the field of play.

Reactions: Hoosier CPA
This is the second straight year Brohm has toyed with another program and gotten a pay bump for doing so

And if Brohm isn’t about the money, why would Purdue need give him over a $2M pay raise for him to stay

He also lied to his players telling them that there was nothing to worry about as he was packing to head to Louisville to negotiate. Class act.

He also lied to his players telling them that there was nothing to worry about as he was packing to head to Louisville to negotiate. Class act.

There never was anything to worry about. Louisville just wasn’t listening. He made it clear before it happened he was happy in WL. I live two miles from his house. If he, or Jennifer or his kids were miserable it would have been known. It was quite the opposite. You do not hide much in towns like Bloomington, Iowa City or WL. They decided Petrino had to go, launched a campaign to find dirt to avoid having to pay his buyout and failed. Went into their already badly depleted “rainy day” fund and used $14M to get rid of him and then focused solely on bringing back the “hometown hero” (who had not lived there in 10 years). If that was not putting all their eggs in one basket, what is? Tyra even said that Brohm told him he really had been focused on fulfilling his committment to Purdue. But, he had to try and satiate the bellowing throng. Meanwhile Purdue leadership said nothing and when Brohm returned home they quietly met, told him they wanted him to stay and the rest is history. Morale of the story is do not underestimate the Big Ten. Not many coaches have ever voluntarily left a Big Ten job for another university.

What a potentially dumb and silly post. He's gone 6-6 two years in a row. He's got some hype, but even injuries could derail them and then TBD. And with this raise and his hype, if they don't crush it as much as people (like you) think, then what? Think it would go over well if they go 5-7 anytime soon?

Let the off-season shake out: any new staff changes, an actual signed recruiting class. IU is far from "no where close" and I like a lot of the FR talent that played this year. Ex: Imagine our DB's in 2-3 years, when they will all be Jr's & Sr's. May be the most athletic and talented group we've had and we have a 4-star Corner from FL and strong Corner from Decater Central (Tracy) coming on board next year. Time will tell.
All I can say is...if that is true for Brohm, its double true for Allen. If so much doubt can be generated for PU's season, then what is your conclusion about Allen who had a far worse season. Their records were the same when they met, but were clearly moving in different directions. So if there is doubt about whether Brohm will succeed, where the hell does that leave us with Allen. Fair is fair...if doubt exits for Brohm, it has to be twice that for Allen...right?

Reactions: Boilerbuck
I am not sure Louisville was the hardest fight for PU to keep Brohm. I imagine a powerhouse will be in the mix before long.

I think his offensive creativity will appeal to the NFL. There will be 4 or 5 openings this year like there always is and Brohm will be in the discussion.

Problem is he will have signed most of this recruiting class by then and the talent advantage we had will have disappeared.

Reactions: SLANTED EYE
6 million that's laughable. .
Purdue has zero chance of ever winning the Big Ten Championship's say 2 out of every 5 year's.
That's what kind of money that is..
Swinney /Clemson .
Smart / Georgia .
Those are stud football school's that's what they're paying. .
Purdue football is waaaaay down the pecking order. .

Reactions: 76-1
Meanwhile Purdue leadership said nothing and when Brohm returned home they quietly met, told him they wanted him to stay and the rest is history. Morale of the story is do not underestimate the Big Ten. Not many coaches have ever voluntarily left a Big Ten job for another university.

You forgot the part about a significant pay raise. It's not as if Brohm is staying at Purdue out of the kindness of his heart. He's getting paid handsomely to do so.

As stated before, Purdue just made Jeff Brohm the highest paid 13-12 coach in America.

There never was anything to worry about. Louisville just wasn’t listening. He made it clear before it happened he was happy in WL. I live two miles from his house. If he, or Jennifer or his kids were miserable it would have been known. It was quite the opposite. You do not hide much in towns like Bloomington, Iowa City or WL. They decided Petrino had to go, launched a campaign to find dirt to avoid having to pay his buyout and failed. Went into their already badly depleted “rainy day” fund and used $14M to get rid of him and then focused solely on bringing back the “hometown hero” (who had not lived there in 10 years). If that was not putting all their eggs in one basket, what is? Tyra even said that Brohm told him he really had been focused on fulfilling his committment to Purdue. But, he had to try and satiate the bellowing throng. Meanwhile Purdue leadership said nothing and when Brohm returned home they quietly met, told him they wanted him to stay and the rest is history. Morale of the story is do not underestimate the Big Ten. Not many coaches have ever voluntarily left a Big Ten job for another university.

If he wasn't interested he could and should have said so weeks ago. Simply meet with Bobinski and Mitch, lay out what he needs and then say so publicly.

Instead he told his players not to worry as he packed his bag and headed to Louisville to negotiate a deal that would ultimately not ab approved by the BOT. Had it been approved, he would be gone.

Both PU and UL did what they had to do given the circumstances. If I were a PU grad I would not be impressed with how Brohm handled this; lying to the team. But their vision will be clouded by the good
News and they will defend him regardless. This is how fans react with 100% predictability.

You forgot the part about a significant pay raise. It's not as if Brohm is staying at Purdue out of the kindness of his heart. He's getting paid handsomely to do so.

As stated before, Purdue just made Jeff Brohm the highest paid 13-12 coach in America.

His career record is 43-22. How many predicted he would be 6-6 this year and beat Ohio State by 29 points?

i'd like to see allen continue to call the defense while hiring a former head coach to help him with game management decisions. that way we don't see indiana passing on short field goals and instead going for it on 4th and 9. this advisor could also tell him to stuff his "studies" in his pocket during post game interviews so he doesn't say stupid sh!t like "there's no difference between a 10 point lead and a 13 point lead" with 7 minutes left in the game

Reactions: td75
not enough exclamation points!!!!!

still, the puzzling beilema decision. that worked out well

in history?

That is exactly what he did do. If you read that story and decided to spend $14 million to fire your coach and throw all your Chips on Brohm you were taking a huge risk. Brohm, who agreed, as a courtesy as an alum, to meet at a Holiday Inn Express in Lebanon because he was busy with recruiting. According to Tyra’s own words Brohm seemed uninterested in discussing the job and continually referred to his unfulfilled committment to Purdue. Nevertheless Tyra made no mention of his negative feelings about the meeting and led the people of Louisville further down the primrose path. Brohm returned to Purdue and got the extension and raise you would expect a coach with limited personnel to receive after starting the season 0-3, beating ranked Boston College, Iowa and # 2 ranked Ohio State by 29 points; besting his arch rival and earning a bowl berth. Simple question, if Tom Allen had beaten Iowa and pounded Ohio State would you expect him to not interview with other schools and not to expect a strong and affirmative response with a raise and signs of strong commitment from the AD and administration?

Following story written 30 days ago BEFORE Petrino was fired
https://saturdaytradition.com/purdu...ont-think-people-realize-how-good-it-is-here/

Local folks take

https://www.heraldbulletin.com/spor...cle_3e5108e0-f368-11e8-b9da-df73f7bbd153.html

So, if he was so uninterested in UL, why did Purdue feel the need to give him a $2M raise? And based on reports, that offered raise was only $1M earlier in the day.

So Brohm being "disinterested" is either fabrication on Tyra's part to save a little face, or Bobinski is a terrible negotiator and Brohm played him like a fiddle

We had 9 overall wins & 3 Big Ten wins in the prior 4 years. Brohm took those players and produced the above “mediocre” records you guys are turning your noses up at. Cmon, I gotta believe you are all smarter than that

So what? Nobody here cares what your previous conference record was. The fact remains: You're now paying a coach with a 9-9 Big Ten Record upwards of $6 million dollars a year. The record of your previous coach has no bearing on that.

And why do you have "mediocre" in parenthesis? 9-9 is exactly .500. It's not above mediocre, and it's not below mediocre. It is the very definition of mediocre. (See also: Average)

C'mon, I gotta believe you are smarter than that.

Reactions: IU40IU and 76-1
Ripped off? Keep telling yourself that lol. Take a second to really look into that 13-12 (9-9) record and you'll see definite progress. 2013-16 under hazell regime 9-39 (3-30 B1G) with wins over (2)Illinois, (2)Indiana st, Nebraska, SIU, Eku & nevada. Not only were we losing games but getting smashed. Average margin of defeat was over 20 points a game with 8 of those by 30 or more. Everyone knows years 1 & 2 in a true rebuild is more about establishing a culture change and changing the trajectory. Winning would be almost like a bonus and thats where Brohm stands right now. 13 wins in 2 yrs isn't great but considering where we stood right before he got here is quite impressive..Even looking at the losses & I've never been a moral victory guy but it shows Purdue bucking a trend. 8 of those 12 losses have been 1 possesion games and only 1 blowout..I know everyone likes to talk about the Emu loss. Most Purdue fans would agree that we don't beat osu without that loss so ill take that trade off lol.

Again, what does Hazell's record have to do with what Brohm now currently makes ($6 mil)...?

Weren't you already paying him more than Hazell? You just increased his salary based on what he might do going forward. Otherwise you let him walk.

The previous coach's record is irrelevant.

6 million that's laughable. .
Purdue has zero chance of ever winning the Big Ten Championship's say 2 out of every 5 year's.
That's what kind of money that is..
Swinney /Clemson .
Smart / Georgia .
Those are stud football school's that's what they're paying. .
Purdue football is waaaaay down the pecking order. .
Where was Clemson 15 years ago?

Reactions: Frankie611
ADVERTISEMENT