ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue fans must be threatened by Allen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fkfootball

All-American
Apr 28, 2014
A guy on G&B called him, a "Poor mans Tom Crean". And, a "HS Coach."

We'll see how they feel when their defense is getting gashed for 500 yds a game.

Jeff Brohm struggled to score on Brian Knorrs defense. Can't imagine he does much against Tom Allen and a host of All Big Ten players.

We'll see how they feel when their defense is getting gashed for 500 yds a game.

I don't agree with the Tom Crean comparison but this is his first HC gig and it'll be interesting to see how he fares. It seems like you only post Purdue stuff when some random poster on the Purdue FREE board says something that you don't agree with. I think he will be good on defense but I wonder how the offense will fare.

Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye
Jeff Brohm struggled to score on Brian Knorrs defense. Can't imagine he does much against Tom Allen and a host of All Big Ten players.

Well if he struggled against one defense he's clearly not a good offensive coach. His teams have averaged like 45 ppg the last 3 years which is insane. It'll take time to build depth but he's a fantastic offensive coach. I'm guessing you're a bit nervous about Brohm? Realizing Purdue actually has a competent football coach who can coach AND recruit.

Reactions: cryano
Well if he struggled against one defense he's clearly not a good offensive coach. His teams have averaged like 45 ppg the last 3 years which is insane. It'll take time to build depth but he's a fantastic offensive coach. I'm guessing you're a bit nervous about Brohm? Realizing Purdue actually has a competent football coach who can coach AND recruit.

We'll see.

Nervous about Brohm ? No, but just about anyone is going to be better than Hazell. Brohm is a good football coach, but still has a lot to prove and has never had to "rebuild" a team or program.
Perhaps PU fans that call Allen a "poor man's Tom Crean" or a "high school coach" are a bit nervous. You know a guy by the name of Barry Alvarez coached in HS for 7 years, then LBer's at Iowa for another 7, then 3 years at ND as LBer's and DC. Guess he turned out pretty good at his first , and only , head job for UW.

I don't agree with the Tom Crean comparison but this is his first HC gig and it'll be interesting to see how he fares. It seems like you only post Purdue stuff when some random poster on the Purdue FREE board says something that you don't agree with. I think he will be good on defense but I wonder how the offense will fare.
Could say the same about Brohm, think he will be good on offense, but I wonder how the defense will fare. Not so well the last time his defense visited Bloomington.

Nervous about Brohm ? No, but just about anyone is going to be better than Hazell. Brohm is a good football coach, but still has a lot to prove and has never had to "rebuild" a team or program.
Perhaps PU fans that call Allen a "poor man's Tom Crean" or a "high school coach" are a bit nervous. You know a guy by the name of Barry Alvarez coached in HS for 7 years, then LBer's at Iowa for another 7, then 3 years at ND as LBer's and DC. Guess he turned out pretty good at his first , and only , head job for UW.

I agree Brohm has a lot to prove but he's put a great staff in place and we can only improve from where we are. Of course I know Barry Alvarez but that's an extreme example. I'm sure there are examples that point to the contrary as well.

Could say the same about Brohm, think he will be good on offense, but I wonder how the defense will fare. Not so well the last time his defense visited Bloomington.

Defense can really only improve as they've been at or near the bottom the last 4 years.

This is the same bunch that produced such awesome posts as calling the three new BB recruits " future meth heads" and my personal favorite from Mathboy: discussing the three top 100 recruits in 24 hrs: "Miller really isn't making much headway".

Brohm has a history of producing offense, and I assume he will, but it is going to take awhile. The cupboard is bare, the facilities are shit and he brought in a bunch of jucos that will create a different set of problems.

Reactions: Hoogolf
This is the same bunch that produced such awesome posts as calling the three new BB recruits " future meth heads" and my personal favorite from Mathboy: discussing the three top 100 recruits in 24 hrs: "Miller really isn't making much headway".

Brohm has a history of producing offense, and I assume he will, but it is going to take awhile. The cupboard is bare, the facilities are shit and he brought in a bunch of jucos that will create a different set of problems.

I think he brought in 3 or 4 JUCO's and I don't know why you'd assume it would create a different set of problems. The facilities won't be an issue within 3 or 4 years IMO. The performance center opens next month which is a great start. Our AD has been nothing short of fantastic so far and I'm excited for future facility updates.

I think he brought in 3 or 4 JUCO's and I don't know why you'd assume it would create a different set of problems. The facilities won't be an issue within 3 or 4 years IMO. The performance center opens next month which is a great start. Our AD has been nothing short of fantastic so far and I'm excited for future facility updates.

They have a long way to go on facilities. That stadium needs massive work to catch up. Problem is that everyone else keeps moving forward as well.

I agree Brohm has a lot to prove but he's put a great staff in place and we can only improve from where we are. Of course I know Barry Alvarez but that's an extreme example. I'm sure there are examples that point to the contrary as well.
And Allen has a great staff in place as well, no reason to believe he won't be just as highly successful as a HC as he was a DC.

And Allen has a great staff in place as well, no reason to believe he won't be just as highly successful as a HC as he was a DC.

I would bet on someone who has been a successful HS coach, successful special teams coach in the SEC, and who was the guy who finally turned around IU's defense, who also is recruiting well to be a pretty good head coach.

Both coaches have a lot to prove imo, but so far both have done a nice job in recruiting the 2018 class. It is good to see from a Boiler view that we are back to working the state of Indiana and not just letting IU have their pick of instate players. I do think that Coach Allen has a bit more pressure on him, because of the raised expectations of your fan base. If IU fails to make a bowl game then most if not all of the momentum built up over the past seven years might dissipate quickly. No one expects Coach Brohm to do much this year, so he will basically be getting a "free pass" on the season as long as his team plays hard and doesn't quit.

As far as stadiums go, I don't see Memorial Stadium being any better than Ross-Ade for the most part. Both of your end zone additions are nice but the rest of the stadium is as blah if not more so than Ross-Ade. Courtsensetwo (whom opinions I normally tend to agree with) makes it sound like Purdue is playing in a Junior High stadium and IU is playing in the Taj Mahal.

As always good luck until the Bucket - BEAT O$U!!!!!

Both coaches have a lot to prove imo, but so far both have done a nice job in recruiting the 2018 class. It is good to see from a Boiler view that we are back to working the state of Indiana and not just letting IU have their pick of instate players. I do think that Coach Allen has a bit more pressure on him, because of the raised expectations of your fan base. If IU fails to make a bowl game then most if not all of the momentum built up over the past seven years might dissipate quickly. No one expects Coach Brohm to do much this year, so he will basically be getting a "free pass" on the season as long as his team plays hard and doesn't quit.

As far as stadiums go, I don't see Memorial Stadium being any better than Ross-Ade for the most part. Both of your end zone additions are nice but the rest of the stadium is as blah if not more so than Ross-Ade. Courtsensetwo (whom opinions I normally tend to agree with) makes it sound like Purdue is playing in a Junior High stadium and IU is playing in the Taj Mahal.

If the master plan for Ross Ade actually happens, it will be very nice. However, as of now, it looks like an erector set with a huge press box. The concourses need a lot of work as well. The concourses at memorial stadium have been freshened up, and they're getting even more work next summer with renovated concessions and restrooms.

A87_FD50_F-_D9_FF-47_D6-8091-7_AD22_F77_B303.jpg

IMG_8867.jpg

If the master plan for Ross Ade actually happens, it will be very nice. However, as of now, it looks like an erector set with a huge press box. The concourses need a lot of work as well. The concourses at memorial stadium have been freshened up, and they're getting even more work next summer with renovated concessions and restrooms.

IMG_8867.jpg

The master plan for Ross-Ade will happen. The only question is when.

IMG_8867.jpg
I really like what IU was able to do with the North end of Memorial. It fits very well and not at all like an afterthought - some additions don't necessarily look like they belong.

We are going to learn a lot about Coach Allen this year.

I think we know a TON about his defensive capabilities.

Not so much about his offense.
Not so much about his executive leadership skills.

I have a friend who is considered to be the preeminent amateur tennis coach on the planet. He won NCAA championships as a head coach (in both men's and women's tennis)...dude can coach.

But...and tennis is a minor sport in college...he swears the role of coach in college is so big...so complex...that he wanted nothing to do with it...

It ain't x's and o's in college athletics. It's a ton more.

I'm hopeful. Coach Allen has a certain "Hep-meets-...something I can't put my finger on" that has me really excited for this program. But fair warning...I always feel like a bowl is just around the corner in August.

I get that Indiana hasn't done much in Football. But Purdue is no blue blood either. They had some moderate success with Tiller of course. But a whole lot of bad to mediocre too.

I get that Indiana hasn't done much in Football. But Purdue is no blue blood either. They had some moderate success with Tiller of course. But a whole lot of bad to mediocre too.

Moderate? I'd call it more than moderate. 10 bowls in 12 years and a Rose Bowl berth is pretty impressive. We're not a blue blood but we also have a much better history than you.

Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye

RA is not a Jr hi stadium, it is a once proud venue. The first college game I attended as a child. I recall seeing the greenest grass I had ever seen (wtf happened?).

It is just old as shit with terrible sound, no lights, a scoreboard and video board from the dark ages, shitty bathrooms and bad food service, Hell of a press box though, sat in Shively most of the games I attended while my kid was there.

Just needs to be nuked and redone. Past time.

Save my spot next to the tree on Slater for the bucket...a couple of those old band alums near us are dicks though.

Some guy over there started a thread consisting of this...I have no idea what this even means:

Tom Allen = Poor Mans Tom Crean

Bye bye IUFB.

Or when they struggle to get 100 total yards of offense against us.....
I think Brohm will do well, but they're not going to be very good this year. And I cannot believe how cocky they are based on accumulating a class that looks exactly like Bill Lynch's classes that they made fun of for years. It's not a race to see who can get the most commits in July. If they aren't quality players, it's meaningless. They are now up to seven two-stars, and a good chunk of the class has no other power five offers. But, that's why they play the game on the field. We will see.

I think Brohm will do well, but they're not going to be very good this year. And I cannot believe how cocky they are based on accumulating a class that looks exactly like Bill Lynch's classes that they made fun of for years. It's not a race to see who can get the most commits in July. If they aren't quality players, it's meaningless. They are now up to seven two-stars, and a good chunk of the class has no other power five offers. But, that's why they play the game on the field. We will see.

I think we're happy that we've been able to land several players that had legit P5 offers but turned them down to play for Purdue. These are guys that Brohm thinks can help him win and his track record is impressive. He's doing a few different things right now: he's re-establishing Purdue in-state which had been neglected for years, he's replenishing our depth chart, and he's getting guys that he thinks can help us win. I'm assuming you read Josh Helmholdt's article about in-state recruiting? Things are going to be different than they were with Hazell.

I think we're happy that we've been able to land several players that had legit P5 offers but turned them down to play for Purdue. These are guys that Brohm thinks can help him win and his track record is impressive. He's doing a few different things right now: he's re-establishing Purdue in-state which had been neglected for years, he's replenishing our depth chart, and he's getting guys that he thinks can help us win. I'm assuming you read Josh Helmholdt's article about in-state recruiting? Things are going to be different than they were with Hazell.

Or are they... We heard these same things when Hazzel was hired..

Or are they... We heard these same things when Hazzel was hired..

I think it was pretty obvious early on that Hazell was in over his head. His recruiting ineptitude directly led to Britt Beery, Coy Cronk, and Jacob Robinson (I'm sure there are others but these are the main ones) going to IU when they were slam dunks to Purdue if we had a competent coach. Those situations won't happen with Brohm. The differences between Brohm and Hazell are obvious. We were rated near the top (in some cases THE top) in terms of coaching hires made this offseason. That wasn't the case when we hired Hazell.

I think it was pretty obvious early on that Hazell was in over his head. His recruiting ineptitude directly led to Britt Beery, Coy Cronk, and Jacob Robinson (I'm sure there are others but these are the main ones) going to IU when they were slam dunks to Purdue if we had a competent coach. Those situations won't happen with Brohm. The differences between Brohm and Hazell are obvious. We were rated near the top (in some cases THE top) in terms of coaching hires made this offseason. That wasn't the case when we hired Hazell.

Its been 3 months and you're saying that signing a bunch of kids with no power 5 offers and a coach that hasn't even stepped foot on the sidelines in the B10 is going to be a night and day instant change for success.. I just don't buy it. I think he will be lucky to win 3 games for the next 2 or 3 years. Honestly don't see more than one win on your schedule for this year. Lets let him step foot into the B10 first before we crown him as an instant success coach.

Reactions: BoilerFan89
Not so much about his offense.
Not so much about his executive leadership skills.

It will be DeBord's offense, make no mistake about that. He wouldn't have come unless that was the deal. As far as being the CEO of IU Football, Allen's skills will be measured by the product he produces, both on and off the field.

Last edited:
Its been 3 months and you're saying that signing a bunch of kids with no power 5 offers and a coach that hasn't even stepped foot on the sidelines in the B10 is going to be a night and day instant change for success.. I just don't buy it. I think he will be lucky to win 3 games for the next 2 or 3 years. Honestly don't see more than one win on your schedule for this year. Lets let him step foot into the B10 first before we crown him as an instant success coach.

We've also landed plenty of players with several P5 offers too though (including beating you out for one on Tuesday). You do realize that Hazell was the worst coach we've ever had? It's almost impossible for Brohm to be worse. Our schedule is ranked as one of the toughest 5 in college football this year so yeah wins will definitely be hard to come by. I think I could see 2-4 wins. I disagree about winning only 2 or 3 games the next 2 or 3 years. This year I agree but not the following few years after that. Heck, even Hazell won 3 games last year and he was a terrible coach.

We've also landed plenty of players with several P5 offers too though (including beating you out for one on Tuesday). You do realize that Hazell was the worst coach we've ever had? It's almost impossible for Brohm to be worse. Our schedule is ranked as one of the toughest 5 in college football this year so yeah wins will definitely be hard to come by. I think I could see 2-4 wins. I disagree about winning only 2 or 3 games the next 2 or 3 years. This year I agree but not the following few years after that. Heck, even Hazell won 3 games last year and he was a terrible coach.

Congrats on grabbing a solid backup. We're still working on this 4 star battling Michigan St.

A quote from someone very connected to the program

"I don't believe he ever visited and I am pretty sure he was not a plan A target at RB. The top targets at that spot have been Andrew Cunningham and Ronnie Walker, and that has been the case for quite some time. I'm not saying they weren't high on Coates, but as far as I know he was not at the top of their wish list."

Congrats on grabbing a solid backup. We're still working on this 4 star battling Michigan St.

A quote from someone very connected to the program

"I don't believe he ever visited and I am pretty sure he was not a plan A target at RB. The top targets at that spot have been Andrew Cunningham and Ronnie Walker, and that has been the case for quite some time. I'm not saying they weren't high on Coates, but as far as I know he was not at the top of their wish list."

Who's the 4*? Andrew Cunningham is a top target for us too. He already has his last official visit planned to Purdue right now.

Got it. Haven't heard of him but I'm hoping we land Cunningham. Dude has like 60 offers.
According to rivals PU offered Walker also, Cunningham obviously has some great offers, pretty sure many are not valid committable offers. Pretty confident he isn't turning down Alabama, LSU and Georgia to go to PU or IU. That said he and Walker are the two that IU would like in this class, tall order, we'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT