ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue and Wilton Speight injury...

RBB89

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 10, 2002
Article:

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...-handled-poorly-purdue-father-says/107045682/

Here is what Purdue's visitor locker room looks like:

http://www.jconline.com/story/sport...rity-most-big-ten-football-coaches/716848001/

Current IU equipment supply letter (x-ray available in training room):

2w3n6s8.jpg

IU visitor locker room:

2s6rh8j.jpg

IU medical facility starting next summer (more x-ray/MRI equipment available, located directly next to visitor locker room):

http://iuhoosiers.com/news/2017/4/1...thletics-excellence-academy.aspx?path=general

“The Irsay Family Wellness Clinic will aid in the physical and mental well-being of the nearly 650 students that participate in 24 varsity sports at Indiana. It will house exam rooms, x-ray machines, procedure rooms, physician offices, sports psychologist offices, a nutrition office and a consultation room.”

2m6a51d.jpg

Last edited:
On a sidenote, what is it with Purdue and not having locker rooms actually located in the stadium?

Wow.....!!!!!

What a fifth team cluster ...k they're running at pu.

Seems to me that Speight would have a lawsuit against the guy who purposely dove and did a belly flop on his head and neck, the ref who failed to call anything (failed to protect protect a helpless player) and purdue the institution for providing third world emergency medical care...

Just wow...! Never thought that sort of thing could happen at a Big Ten venue (not even at pu)!
No wonder Harbaugh was ticked off...

If anyone is wondering what I'm "wowing" about read the Detroit news article linked by RBB in his OP above..,

Last edited:
Wow.....!!!!!

What a fifth team cluster ...k they're running at pu.

Seems to me that Speight would have a lawsuit against the guy who purposely dove and did a belly flop on his head and neck, the ref who failed to call anything (failed to protect protect a helpless player) and purdue the institution for providing third world emergency medical care...

How do they not have EMTs on site, even high school football games frequently have them

Article:

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...-handled-poorly-purdue-father-says/107045682/

Here is what Purdue's visitor locker room looks like:

http://www.jconline.com/story/sport...rity-most-big-ten-football-coaches/716848001/

Current IU equipment supply letter (x-ray available in training room):

2w3n6s8.jpg

IU visitor locker room:

2s6rh8j.jpg

IU medical facility starting next summer (more x-ray/MRI equipment available, located directly next to visitor locker room):

http://iuhoosiers.com/news/2017/4/1...thletics-excellence-academy.aspx?path=general

“The Irsay Family Wellness Clinic will aid in the physical and mental well-being of the nearly 650 students that participate in 24 varsity sports at Indiana. It will house exam rooms, x-ray machines, procedure rooms, physician offices, sports psychologist offices, a nutrition office and a consultation room.”

2m6a51d.jpg

You know what has been conveniently left out of these articles? After the injury, Michigan’s medical staff felt fine with allowing Wilton to get up and walk off the field on his own power as they didn’t deem it serious enough to immobilize him immediately even though it was pretty clear that it was a possible neck injury. Makes sense why they’d leave that out of the article because it makes their medical staff look quite incompetent. Purdue has an ambulance on site but it was deemed at the time to not be a serious injury so the ambulance wasn’t used. So now after the fact they try to make it seem like it was a serious injury even though they allowed him to walk off the field when he should’ve been immobilized. I know Purdue has some things they need to update but a lot of blame can be placed on Michigan and their medical staff for how they handled this situation. I’m sure Harbaugh used the whole bad locker room situation as a negative recruiting tool against Purdue.

Reactions: rcaulfie
You know what has been conveniently left out of these articles? After the injury, Michigan’s medical staff felt fine with allowing Wilton to get up and walk off the field on his own power as they didn’t deem it serious enough to immobilize him immediately even though it was pretty clear that it was a possible neck injury. Makes sense why they’d leave that out of the article because it makes their medical staff look quite incompetent. Purdue has an ambulance on site but it was deemed at the time to not be a serious injury so the ambulance wasn’t used. So now after the fact they try to make it seem like it was a serious injury even though they allowed him to walk off the field when he should’ve been immobilized. I know Purdue has some things they need to update but a lot of blame can be placed on Michigan and their medical staff for how they handled this situation. I’m sure Harbaugh used the whole bad locker room situation as a negative recruiting tool against Purdue.
Like Meatchicken and Purdue recruit same kids...that's funny

Word to the wise for our football support staff: Have our own EMTs and ambulance on site and bring some heaters for the locker room for the Bucket game.

Reactions: IUgradman
How do they not have EMTs on site, even high school football games frequently have them
There is an ambulance and EMT's at all football games on site. The UM Medical staff allowed the player to walk off the field under his own strength, and decided that they did not need to take the ambulance to drive the block and a half to the Student Health Center for the X-rays, so they decided to pile in a van. Those decisions were conveniently left out of the article.

Wow.....!!!!!

Seems to me that Speight would have a lawsuit against the guy who purposely dove and did a belly flop on his head and neck, the ref who failed to call anything (failed to protect protect a helpless player)

I still think it was a dirty hit. Speight was down and the 2 defender came in head first launching at Speight. Here it is again...I showed it and some purdue guys thought it was clean. I'm not so sure

speith.gif

If it was dirty and there was clearly a possible neck injury, why did the UM staff allow Speight to walk off the field and not immobilize him? Seems like malpractice to me.

I agree with on that point. Any, and I mean Any suspected neck or back injury should be put on a backboard and have their head and neck immobilized. You see it far too often where the player is encouraged to just get up and off the field...

And it Was Cheap Shot. The guy should have been tossed...

Reactions: IUgradman
We can agree to disagree on the hit.
Try and answer this question: If you were Wilton's father how would you feel about the play if the defender hit your kid in the same way?
I'd be on fire!
Respectfully,

If I was his father, I’d be furious with the Michigan medical staff for having him walk off the field instead of on a stretcher/board.

Reactions: mobilehoosier
I agree with on that point. Any, and I mean Any suspected neck or back injury should be put on a backboard and have their head and neck immobilized. You see it far too often where the player is encouraged to just get up and off the field...

And it Was Cheap Shot. The guy should have been tossed...
They screwed up for sure. If they had an x-ray machine on site, they would have discovered at least one of the fractures and for sure would have immobilized him. If Purdue doesn't have a backboard either, someone at the game surely had a piece of plywood, tiedowns, and duct tape in their truck. Let's not assume too much. I hear they finally got lights installed. Indoor plumbing is next!

Reactions: 76-1 and IUgradman
They screwed up for sure. If they had an x-ray machine on site, they would have discovered at least one of the fractures and for sure would have immobilized him. If Purdue doesn't have a backboard either, someone at the game surely had a piece of plywood, tiedowns, and duct tape in their truck. Let's not assume too much. I hear they finally got lights installed. Indoor plumbing is next!
Neither school has a defensible position re this situation. The Michigan medical/training staff committed a cardinal sin in treating a possible back/neck injury. Purdue's lack of equipment and facilities and lack of mandatory plan for injured players to be transported to a hospital where their arrival is pre-arranged is appalling. With major liability involved, it's pretty reckless of the host school to leave any decision up to the visiting team as to how injured players are transported and where they are taken.

Reactions: 76-1
If I was his father, I’d be furious with the Michigan medical staff for having him walk off the field instead of on a stretcher/board.

Right, it is how the injury was treated that is the problem, not the punk PUke who caused it.

This is awful publicity for the entire Purdue athletic program. I'd imagine that other conference peers will take the opportunity and use it against Purdue in recruiting. That's something Purdue doesn't need, it's got to be already difficult enough to recruit up there.

Neither school has a defensible position re this situation. The Michigan medical/training staff committed a cardinal sin in treating a possible back/neck injury. Purdue's lack of equipment and facilities and lack of mandatory plan for injured players to be transported to a hospital where their arrival is pre-arranged is appalling. With major liability involved, it's pretty reckless of the host school to leave any decision up to the visiting team as to how injured players are transported and where they are taken.

Reckless? It’s up to UM’s medical staff to determine what the severity of the injury is. They clearly deemed it wasn’t worthy of a stretcher and let him walk off the field. Purdue doesn’t have to say “whoa that’s not okay he needs to leave on a stretcher”. Completely up to UM.

Last edited:
This is awful publicity for the entire Purdue athletic program. I'd imagine that other conference peers will take the opportunity and use it against Purdue in recruiting. That's something Purdue doesn't need, it's got to be already difficult enough to recruit up there.

No. It’s really not. Michigan already has a history of botching injuries (Shane Morris). If it’s used against Purdue in recruiting, all Purdue has to do is show them a picture of Speight walking off the field with 4 or 5 UM trainers/doctors. It’s clear as day. This is a pathetic attempt to shield blame from UM’s incompetent medical staff. This won’t be a big deal moving forward (especially since facility improvements are already in process as we speak).

The you're not paying any attention. Plenty of people have spoken about that play. Nobody thinks it was anything but dirty.

Lol. There was a thread on the main rivals board (unbiased/neutral observers) and the overwhelming majority said it was possibly late but not dirty (90% said it was clean). So saying “nobody thinks it was anything but dirty” is simply false.

Last edited:
Lol. There was a thread on the main rivals board (unbiased/neutral observers) and the overwhelming majority said it was possibly late but not dirty (90% said it was clean). So saying “nobody thinks it was anything but dirty” is simply false.

You're such a ridiculous homer. Purdue looking like garbage nationally is nothing new. Your non-scientific projection due to a single thread of "90%" saying it was "clean" is the most stupendously nonfactual thing anyone has said today. That includes our POTUS. o_O

You're such a ridiculous homer. Purdue looking like garbage nationally is nothing new. Your non-scientific projection due to a single thread of "90%" saying it was "clean" is the most stupendously nonfactual thing anyone has said today. That includes our POTUS. o_O

Care to show me all of the evidence that everyone thinks it was dirty?

Purdue looking like garbage? Lol. This makes Michigan look bad. Have to distract from their 2 losses.

Care to show me all of the evidence that everyone thinks it was dirty?

Purdue looking like garbage? Lol. This makes Michigan look bad. Have to distract from their 2 losses.

First, nice pick up but have a lot of time before he signs. Think he's all about PU so that should help. In regards to the incident, I think the blame goes both ways. UM staff failed to recognize the injury, then after that, the Van, the Hospital and the smartass driver put PU in a bad light. In 3 months, it will be a non-issue IMO.

First, nice pick up but have a lot of time before he signs. Think he's all about PU so that should help. In regards to the incident, I think the blame goes both ways. UM staff failed to recognize the injury, then after that, the Van, the Hospital and the smartass driver put PU in a bad light. In 3 months, it will be a non-issue IMO.

Thanks Hoo! I agree that blame does go both ways. This article makes it seem like it’s all on Purdue which isn’t close to accurate. Michigan has plenty that they did wrong too. Agree that this won’t be an issue in a few months. Don’t think it would legit hurt Purdue's recruiting by any stretch.

Reactions: Hoogolf
Regardless of how fair it is, this had been a lot of bad press for the PU AD, process and facilities.

Hopefully things improve up there.

Reckless? It’s up to UM’s medical staff to determine what the severity of the injury is. They clearly deemed it wasn’t worthy of a stretcher and let him walk off the field. Purdue doesn’t have to say “whoa that’s not okay he needs to leave on a stretcher”. Completely up to UM.
Go back and read my post again. I said the treatment at the scene was UM's fault. When the decision was made to leave the stadium to get xrays, Purdue authorities should have demanded the transport take place in an ambulance to a facility that is already automatically on standby for any player injury or other event that would require medical attention for somebody at the stadium. Not to have a plan in place for that is borderline negligence.

I still think it was a dirty hit. Speight was down and the 2 defender came in head first launching at Speight. Here it is again...I showed it and some purdue guys thought it was clean. I'm not so sure

speith.gif
First time I saw it.... come on ....that’s not clean. But it’s football.

What exactly does that have to do with the hit....please....I think Football has become too protective of qb’s but that is clearly a hit that could have been avoided. He was on his hip and knee....

Thanks Hoo! I agree that blame does go both ways. This article makes it seem like it’s all on Purdue which isn’t close to accurate. Michigan has plenty that they did wrong too. Agree that this won’t be an issue in a few months. Don’t think it would legit hurt Purdue's recruiting by any stretch.
It’s a win either way for us....

Go back and read my post again. I said the treatment at the scene was UM's fault. When the decision was made to leave the stadium to get xrays, Purdue authorities should have demanded the transport take place in an ambulance to a facility that is already automatically on standby for any player injury or other event that would require medical attention for somebody at the stadium. Not to have a plan in place for that is borderline negligence.

It is getting worse. Barstool just awarded Purdue their Hardo of the year for demanding an insurance card before they would do the X-Ray.

ADVERTISEMENT