ADVERTISEMENT

Puppy Mills

iubud

Hall of Famer
Aug 7, 2003
I'm beginning the search for a Siberian Husky. I found a puppy in Montgomery that isn't AKC registered, but APRI registered. I looked it up and APRI is a registry used by puppy mills to to claim a puppy is a pure breed when it is possible the AKC would not allow it due to a parent with a questionable background such as a puppy mill. I suspect the people were Amish or Mennonite from the location, name, and they would not sell a dog or show it on Sunday.

I asked my vet about breeders in our area and told her of my experience. She said something about the Amish breeders, but I didn't ask for clarification. I was talking with someone that reports to me today and she mentioned how people warned her to not buy a dog from the Amish puppy mills near Hershey, PA.

Are puppy mills and breeding dogs for sale something common among the Amish community? I am now wondering if my vet was referencing a bigger issue among the community with the puppy mills.

I found a very beautiful dog I am interested in at a Husky rescue between Terre Haute and Indy. At $150, someone will hopefully take it soon. If anyone else is interested in it, I will give out the info..

I'm beginning the search for a Siberian Husky. I found a puppy in Montgomery that isn't AKC registered, but APRI registered. I looked it up and APRI is a registry used by puppy mills to to claim a puppy is a pure breed when it is possible the AKC would not allow it due to a parent with a questionable background such as a puppy mill. I suspect the people were Amish or Mennonite from the location, name, and they would not sell a dog or show it on Sunday.

I asked my vet about breeders in our area and told her of my experience. She said something about the Amish breeders, but I didn't ask for clarification. I was talking with someone that reports to me today and she mentioned how people warned her to not buy a dog from the Amish puppy mills near Hershey, PA.

Are puppy mills and breeding dogs for sale something common among the Amish community? I am now wondering if my vet was referencing a bigger issue among the community with the puppy mills.

I found a very beautiful dog I am interested in at a Husky rescue between Terre Haute and Indy. At $150, someone will hopefully take it soon. If anyone else is interested in it, I will give out the info..
Puppy Mills?

Never heard of him . . . .

Dog breeding is not uncommon in the Amish/Mennonite community in Montgomery. I do business with several companies in Montgomery and may know the person you spoke with - did you get a name?

Whether you go to a puppy mill or a registered, "reputable" breeder, you're still an asshole. Go to a shelter. Thousands upon thousands of good dogs needing a home, and you want to pay someone to breed another? Disgusting.

Dog breeding is not uncommon in the Amish/Mennonite community in Montgomery. I do business with several companies in Montgomery and may know the person you spoke with - did you get a name?
Yes, I am reluctant to say his name, but he is a Knepp and works in construction of some sort because he talked about working with someone in concrete that has the same last name as me. They raise other breeds besides the Siberian Huskies.

Whether you go to a puppy mill or a registered, "reputable" breeder, you're still an asshole. Go to a shelter. Thousands upon thousands of good dogs needing a home, and you want to pay someone to breed another? Disgusting.

Couldn't say it any better. Go to a shelter.

Reactions: JARiley
I don't see who you are referencing, but I want a certain breed. If Someone has a litter of Siberian Huskies and takes them to the shelter, I'll be first in line. I prefer to train a dog and not have to break bad habits first. I've had a shelter puppy and she lived to be 16. I would have cloned her if I could.

Around here, shelter dogs are most often pit bulls or pit bull mixes. They may be the sweetest animals to some, but I am not going to risk getting one that was mistreated before being surrendered or be a mean dog from a pup. I expect to have grand children in the next 10-15 years. Huskies are great with children and other dogs..

Stay far away from the Amish dog breeders. They consider dog breeding to be just another way to make money. They breed the bitches on every cycle and there is no socialization of the animals. What they don't sell, they either destroy or keep and breed them until they die. These are the definition of puppy mills. Dogs are nothing more than livestock to these people.

If you want a Siberian Husky, go to a rescue, or contact a reputable breeder. That person will check you out as much as you want to know about them. If your dog is going to be a pet (non-competition animal), they will probably make you sign a spay/neuter contract, and also ask that if you ever want to get rid of the dog, you must return it to them. Their pups will be well socialized, healthy and have the traits you are looking for in a Siberian Husky. Be prepared to pay the big bucks.

Stay away from backyard breeders too. Going to the pound and saving a dog's life is always the best IMO. Also, a huge pet peeve of mine, is the "designer dog" fad. It's now the big thing to have the Doodle dogs, poodle mixed with Lab/Goldens. These dogs are over bred and the current thing. The shelters will be loaded with this new "breed" which was never needed because the Lab/Golden and the Poodle were perfectly fine without creating another breed we didn't need.

There are a number of breed specific rescue organizations. That's the socially conscious route to go if you're desiring a specific breed. A reputable rescue organization will be honest with you about the dog in question, and they have no desire to try and place an animal into a situation that won't be right for it. They'll be interviewing YOU to determine whether you're worthy of the dog, not the other way around. You'll likely have to travel some to make this happen, depending on the breed.

If you MUST have a puppy (I won't judge) then stick with a truly reputable breeder. Check your breed's national clubs for names, etc. If you can walk into a particular breeder and they have puppies available for adoption, they're probably not meeting the definition of reputable. Be prepared to wait, perhaps months. And pay. A lot.

Backyard breeders...well you take your chances...social responsibility aside. It's a half step up from a puppy mill in the sense that the dogs are probably treated well, but they probably lack genetic testing and so on.

Pet Store? You should be killed. And no, you can't cop out and claim you're "rescuing" the dog from the awful store. You're simply supporting a horrific industry.

I'n not a crusader about most anything. I simply don't care. But dogs are awesome.

images
LOL iubud put me on ignore because I called him an asshole on the AOTF? Hilarious.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
I don't see who you are referencing, but I want a certain breed. If Someone has a litter of Siberian Huskies and takes them to the shelter, I'll be first in line. I prefer to train a dog and not have to break bad habits first. I've had a shelter puppy and she lived to be 16. I would have cloned her if I could.

Around here, shelter dogs are most often pit bulls or pit bull mixes. They may be the sweetest animals to some, but I am not going to risk getting one that was mistreated before being surrendered or be a mean dog from a pup. I expect to have grand children in the next 10-15 years. Huskies are great with children and other dogs..

Sounds like a plan. Taking a pup immediately from their own Mother for your own benefit seems like a pretty selfish strategy but what the h do I know.

Sounds like a plan. Taking a pup immediately from their own Mother for your own benefit seems like a pretty selfish strategy but what the h do I know.
Strange outlook on your part. Have you ever raised a litter of pups? When the pups teeth start coming inp, the mom has to run and hide from the pups.

Just like your children will move out eventually, pups will go to new homes and become part of new families. I'm sure you would have eventually figured that out.

There are a number of breed specific rescue organizations. That's the socially conscious route to go if you're desiring a specific breed. A reputable rescue organization will be honest with you about the dog in question, and they have no desire to try and place an animal into a situation that won't be right for it. They'll be interviewing YOU to determine whether you're worthy of the dog, not the other way around. You'll likely have to travel some to make this happen, depending on the breed.

If you MUST have a puppy (I won't judge) then stick with a truly reputable breeder. Check your breed's national clubs for names, etc. If you can walk into a particular breeder and they have puppies available for adoption, they're probably not meeting the definition of reputable. Be prepared to wait, perhaps months. And pay. A lot.

Backyard breeders...well you take your chances...social responsibility aside. It's a half step up from a puppy mill in the sense that the dogs are probably treated well, but they probably lack genetic testing and so on.

Pet Store? You should be killed. And no, you can't cop out and claim you're "rescuing" the dog from the awful store. You're simply supporting a horrific industry.

I'n not a crusader about most anything. I simply don't care. But dogs are awesome.
Pet store? Not sure where that came from, but I want to see where my pup comes from. I believe I mentioned the pup will have to live with and be around children and other dogs. I want to know as much as possible about them.

My parents bred our first female husky twice. Mostly because we wanted an offspring of our dog, but also the number of people that mentioned how much they wanted a Husky.

We did keep one female pup and sold the rest. We bred her again a couple of years later with a friend's husky. We had a litter of one and we gave the puppy to the owner of the male dog after we got to play with it for 8 weeks.

I put a deposit this weekend on a 5 week old puppy in Tennessee. I got to meet the mother and the father and saw how they behaved. They are both friendly and healthy dogs. We met the breeder and saw where the puppies were being raised. On Sunday, I received a Facebook post with pictures of our dog taken during bath day. The breeder is getting them used to water so they aren't afraid of a bath when they come to us.

I would like a second dog and another dog, but I don't think I will get one with my daughters dog staying with us occasionally. I also work with a local no-kill shelter and have fostered a dog when needed. I am concerned another dog would interfere with my ability to help. The people at the shelter will all be happy I found the dog I wanted and bought it from a responsible "backyard breeder" just like my parents were.

In 3 weeks, the breeder will deliver our puppy on his way to drop off two other dogs in Crown Point area. The socially responsible thing to do is to spay and neuter our pets. I am glad some people decide to breed their dogs when they have a good animal. I do a lot to help animals that through no fault of their own, are abandoned or the result of irresponsible owners.

I have had a husky or husky mix for 40 years and hopefully many more. I encourage you all to select the dog that is right for you and/or be foster parents or donate to organizations such as::

itvrescue.org

Reactions: 76-1
Strange outlook on your part. Have you ever raised a litter of pups? When the pups teeth start coming inp, the mom has to run and hide from the pups.

Just like your children will move out eventually, pups will go to new homes and become part of new families. I'm sure you would have eventually figured that out.
Taking a puppy away from it's mother before it's ready to go IS a big thing. Puppies learn many lessons from it's mother that humans just can't teach. Bite inhibitions are learned, as well as learning how to relate to a pack is taught by the mother and the siblings. Most good breeders are not in a hurry to place an animal in a new home before 9 weeks.

If a puppy is removed too early, it's very likely that the dog will be clingy, afraid, and not able to be the balanced dog that you desire. Humans are poor substitutes for teaching what a mother dog can teach their babies. Really, there are books on this subject that you may want to read. You are hoping that your new dog will just fit in and be the Husky that you desire. Just don't expect a perfectly bred Husky from someone who has one to sell, and they will deliver it to your home.

Taking a puppy away from it's mother before it's ready to go IS a big thing. Puppies learn many lessons from it's mother that humans just can't teach. Bite inhibitions are learned, as well as learning how to relate to a pack is taught by the mother and the siblings. Most good breeders are not in a hurry to place an animal in a new home before 9 weeks.

If a puppy is removed too early, it's very likely that the dog will be clingy, afraid, and not able to be the balanced dog that you desire. Humans are poor substitutes for teaching what a mother dog can teach their babies. Really, there are books on this subject that you may want to read. You are hoping that your new dog will just fit in and be the Husky that you desire. Just don't expect a perfectly bred Husky from someone who has one to sell, and they will deliver it to your home.
Who said anything about removing a puppy too early? We will get our puppy when it is ready and not a day sooner. This isn't my first dog or puppy. I have never had a dog that wasn't awesome, or had a problem adjusting to life with their new family.

This puppy will have social time often with our grandpup and the neighbors dog. I work from my home office, so we will be together 24/7 except when I let her out to run during my meetings. This dog will be going to obedience training with me. I have found a trained dog is happier on walks and in public.

I appreciate the advice, but I know how to raise a dog to be part of a family or pack.

Yes, I am reluctant to say his name, but he is a Knepp and works in construction of some sort because he talked about working with someone in concrete that has the same last name as me. They raise other breeds besides the Siberian Huskies.
If you are talking about Montgomery Indiana, then they are either Knepp or Graber. If you go there check out Knepp's restaurant on Highway 50. It is an amish run place which is very good. The pies there are just wonderful.

If you are talking about Montgomery Indiana, then they are either Knepp or Graber. If you go there check out Knepp's restaurant on Highway 50. It is an amish run place which is very good. The pies there are just wonderful.
I think I ate there when a group of us played golf outside Montgomery. We had an Amish restaurant in Evansville that went out of business after a short time.

We will go to Stolls at I-64 and 41 when we feel like fried chicken. I think it is Amish owned. It is similar to the Log Inn and you don't have to wait to find a table.

Who said anything about removing a puppy too early? We will get our puppy when it is ready and not a day sooner. This isn't my first dog or puppy. I have never had a dog that wasn't awesome, or had a problem adjusting to life with their new family.

This puppy will have social time often with our grandpup and the neighbors dog. I work from my home office, so we will be together 24/7 except when I let her out to run during my meetings. This dog will be going to obedience training with me. I have found a trained dog is happier on walks and in public.

I appreciate the advice, but I know how to raise a dog to be part of a family or pack.
When you said that a mama dog was ready to get rid of her puppies because they were nipping at her boobs, I thought I'd mention that the pups still needed her to learn to be part of a pack. I'm sure you're a good dog daddy, but it never hurts to educate others who may not know about caring for animals. When we see all the rescues out there, I wonder how people can be so stupid about their pets.

Reactions: JARiley
When you said that a mama dog was ready to get rid of her puppies because they were nipping at her boobs, I thought I'd mention that the pups still needed her to learn to be part of a pack. I'm sure you're a good dog daddy, but it never hurts to educate others who may not know about caring for animals. When we see all the rescues out there, I wonder how people can be so stupid about their pets.
I have always found a friend for our dogs or a place to socialize. I'm not comfortable with the dog parks where people turn them loose. We usually run into friendly dogs on our walks or trips to Pet Smart. My dog always knew how to play with smaller dogs and crouch or lay down if she needed to be at their level. Obedience school will be fun for both of us.

I'm supposed to get pictures and an update this weekend on my new puppy. I expect her ears will be standing erect and looking more like a Husky. They have worked on bathing and kennel training. Potty training is also supposed to be part of it, but I am really not sure how you do that with 7 puppies at the same time.

She will fit in nicely with her new pack whenever she is ready.

Reactions: Dwader3
I have had Huskies for over 40 years with either my parents or my own family. We have a large fenced in yard for a safe place for a Husky to run.

There are Husky rescues There is a beautiful dog at a rescue between Terre Haute and Indy. I called about that one and a few other rescued Huskies. There were some issues of food aggression, and one that did not get along with other dogs. That is strange because our dogs were always friendly and socialized with other dogs.

People calling me names are out of line and ignorant. The assholes are people that get dogs they can't take care of or aren't responsible enough to spay or neuter their dogs. I do my part with donations of time and money. People can atone for their stupid comments by walking a dog or two with me at a local shelter. It is easy and much appreciated way to start helping instead of just complaining. Let me know and I will get you signed up at the ITV shelter. They are always looking for drivers to pick up dogs from other shelters.

I have had Huskies for over 40 years with either my parents or my own family. We have a large fenced in yard for a safe place for a Husky to run.

There are Husky rescues There is a beautiful dog at a rescue between Terre Haute and Indy. I called about that one and a few other rescued Huskies. There were some issues of food aggression, and one that did not get along with other dogs. That is strange because our dogs were always friendly and socialized with other dogs.

People calling me names are out of line and ignorant. The assholes are people that get dogs they can't take care of or aren't responsible enough to spay or neuter their dogs. I do my part with donations of time and money. People can atone for their stupid comments by walking a dog or two with me at a local shelter. It is easy and much appreciated way to start helping instead of just complaining. Let me know and I will get you signed up at the ITV shelter. They are always looking for drivers to pick up dogs from other shelters.

Quoting me after you already quoted me and quoting me again after 11 days sounds a bit say....trying to justify an action? Go to a shelter. PS...I've adopted 3 in my life. All Pit/Terriers. Fostered roughly a dozen. Not one issue...but keep going to the mills.

Quoting me after you already quoted me and quoting me again after 11 days sounds a bit say....trying to justify an action? Go to a shelter. PS...I've adopted 3 in my life. All Pit/Terriers. Fostered roughly a dozen. Not one issue...but keep going to the mills.
I want a freaking Husky as I have had most of life. I want to train it from a pup. I don't care what you or anyone thinks about my choice in a companion I will hopefully have for 15 years.

I'm glad you have a rescue dog. The first dog I had after getting married was a husky/border collie puppy from the shelter. It was quickly followed up by a full blooded husky and I have had one ever since.

Reactions: largemouth

I live in the Montgomery area and yes, you’re more than likely dealing with a puppy mil, which are big business among the Amish in this area. I’m guessing I probably know, or know of, the person you’re dealing with.

I live in the Montgomery area and yes, you’re more than likely dealing with a puppy mil, which are big business among the Amish in this area. I’m guessing I probably know, or know of, the person you’re dealing with.
The red flag was how they were registering the pups. If people know the AKC won't register the litter, they use other organizations that ignore the parents pedigree.

I doubt we will register our new puppy. We aren't going to breed her, so there isn't any reason to. I I'm glad we could if we wanted to.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT