ADVERTISEMENT

PU recruits 7 footers/Bigs & Shooters. Archie recruits neither

Ah, shifting back to Crean, since you realize your Painter position is DOA. I’m not using hindsight. Had you been following the program then or understood what you were watching, you would’ve understood the direction the program was heading. And, no, the majority of the fan base hadn’t turned on him by then. Guessing you were one of the “We’re Back!” crowd that thought he was a good fit at IU. Lol

Lol. So Purdue’s program was on the rise after losing seasons in years 8 and 9 and epic tourney chokes in years 10 and 11 that warranted a Painter extension but IU’s was in such disarray that they fired a coach in a 5 year period where he won two B10 titles outright and went to 3 S16’s? Go to bed son, you’re making a mockery of yourself. Good night.

What a terrible argument. Painter didn’t deserve the opportunity to win another B10 title. Crean didn’t deserve to win his second B10 title but did anyway. You shot your self in the foot on this one because you have no other choice now than to say Fred Glass is a genius for having some kind of premonition for his retention policy on Crean.
No, you’re twisting yourself into knots trying to justify a horrible position that basketball people would laugh at as hopelessly uninformed. Saying the majority of IU fans wanted Crean fired after he won the Big 10 and beat UK in the Sweet 16 confirms you didn’t follow the program. It’s simply a false statement borne of ignorance. And it was clear that no one would’ve fired a coach who had just been on back to back tournaments and was the odds on favorite to win the conference championship the following year, which he did. You’re literally making no sense, though I understand why. Lol

Lol. So Purdue’s program was on the rise after losing seasons in years 8 and 9 and epic tourney chokes in years 10 and 11 that warranted a Painter extension but IU’s was in such disarray that they fired a coach in a 5 year period where he won two B10 titles outright and went to 3 S16’s? Go to bed son, you’re making a mockery of yourself. Good night.
Lol. Nice try. Well, not really.

Temporary? He strong-armed the program for a raise after year 7, had losing records in year 8 and 9 and then blew a 7 point lead in the 1st rd of the NCAAT with 50 seconds left in year 10 and then blew a 12pt lead with 4 minutes left in the first rd of the NCAAT in year 11. And they extended him AGAIN. Painter would have been run out of town by any self-respecting program in the country at that point.
Then what does not making the tourney for several consecutive years get you??

Reactions: Mackeyfan247
He hasn’t moved on because he’s happy at his alma mater. Only reason to move up is if a blue blood opens up and that doesn’t happen very often.

lol There are a lot of programs between PU and the "blue bloods' (I know that hurts). None came calling other than Mizzou and even that one may have been a ruse.

Last edited:
What a terrible argument. Painter didn’t deserve the opportunity to win another B10 title. Crean didn’t deserve to win his second B10 title but did anyway. You shot your self in the foot on this one because you have no other choice now than to say Fred Glass is a genius for having some kind of premonition for his retention policy on Crean.

You are wasting your time This clown defends PU at all costs if it allows him to take shots at IU. You are arguing with intellectual dishonesty 101.

The fact is that Painter's record of mediocrity may be good enough for some at IU (like the guy you are arguing with) but most of us want and expect better. Painter is a known quantity and a good fit for a program like PU where beating IU is the pinnacle.

The rest of us have much higher expectations.

Crean won the B10 after the majority of the fan base had turned on him. Using hindsight is a bad faith argument, but I’m not surprised.

Those of us that actually attend games know that you are correct, the people that pay the bills had not been happy with crean...even a little. That "net cutting ceremony" was the most surreal thing I have ever witnessed in 30 years of being a season ticket holder. That was the beginning of the end.

His last three seasons he was openly booed when introduced. I SIT RIGHT THERE. Glass tried to act but was stifled by the BOT until QB supported Glass the next year and forced the BOT hand.

Last edited:
You are wasting your time This clown defends PU at all costs if it allows him to take shots at IU. You are arguing with intellectual dishonesty 101.

The fact is that Painter's record of mediocrity may be good enough for some at IU (like the guy you are arguing with) but most of us want and expect better. Painter is a known quantity and a good fit for a program like PU where beating IU is the pinnacle.

The clown you speak of, comes on this site to discuss basketball . Unlike you, he doesn’t try to force people to think like he does! You need to go back to the Cooler with your Pinko Commie buddies!
If you’re lucky you can have Goat Milk and cookies.

The clown you speak of, comes on this site to discuss basketball . Unlike you, he doesn’t try to force people to think like he does! You need to go back to the Cooler with your Pinko Commie buddies!
If you’re lucky you can have Goat Milk and cookies.

Thanks for the help. You, Ordy and running richie are the class acts of this place. Carry on.

Jay Wright had previously been to a F4 and had multiple second weekend appearances prior. Wright didn’t strong-arm his program into a pay raise and then fall flat on his face the next 4 years. Jay Wright’s one bad year doesn’t pale in comparison to the stretch Painter endured from years 8-11.

It wasn’t one down year for Wright, it was 3.

lol There are a lot of programs between PU and the "blue bloods' (I know that hurts). None came calling other than Mizzou and even that one may have been a ruse.

Like who? None of us have any idea if anyone came calling.

Last edited:
MP had a better overall and conference record that GK. You believe he should’ve been fired on the eve of winning a Big 10 championship. Your “argument” is DOA. You obviously never coached. Think about that. You thought a guy on the verge of winning a conference championship would’ve been fired by 75% of Big 10 schools. No basketball person would agree with your view. Not one.
Another thing to remember is how young Painter is. Unless he turned 50 in the last year, he has to be on of the most successful coaches under 50 in college basketball right now. Thats kind of part of it. Purdue picked him up when he was young and, like every coach, he has made mistakes along the way, but seems to be learning from them and could coach at Purdue for another 15-20 years. I'd guess the 2nd half of his career will have much more success than his first.

Honest question. Has no one come after him because he's bad or because they know it will be impossible to get him away from Purdue? Why would he leave? UCLA got no where when they contacted him a couple years ago. Its a waste of time for anyone to try and hire him away.

He never back to back losing seasons and he still made the tournament in his “down years” and still advanced.

Actually he lost in the first round in those years. Year 10, he lost in the first round to George Mason, year 11 they had a losing season, and year 12, they lost in the first round to UNC. You gave grief to Painter for first round exits when Wright did the exact same thing.

Reactions: fall city

Maybe that’s part of the problem for you? Your expectations are way too high and you’d miss out on really good coaches like Painter.

Last edited:
Reactions: IUhaterade
Purdue (as usual) plays nobody in the nonconference. While IU was playing a potential top ten team, (Texas) Purdue was playing an 0-5 Oakland.

You’re kidding, right? Go back to the beginning on the Crean era and look at who usually has the better SoS by the end of the non-conference season. It isn’t Indiana. Indiana has had one of the easiest non-conf schedules in the entire conference many times over the last 15 years.

Another thing to remember is how young Painter is. Unless he turned 50 in the last year, he has to be on of the most successful coaches under 50 in college basketball right now. Thats kind of part of it. Purdue picked him up when he was young and, like every coach, he has made mistakes along the way, but seems to be learning from them and could coach at Purdue for another 15-20 years. I'd guess the 2nd half of his career will have much more success than his first.
These guys are arguing because it’s Purdue. Intellectually, they have nothing. Basketball people of any stripe would laugh them out of a room for what they’re saying. One is my stalker, so I get that part of it. The other guy? Just a newbie fan who doesn’t have history.

If the coach can't meet my expectations then I would not consider him a "really good coach". I am an IU fan and I do not hate Purdue, however, I would not be happy with Coach Painter's results. I believe IU can have an elite basketball program again but they must not accept meager coaching results and they need to be willing to fire anyone who cannot produce the results we seek. I do not believe Coach Miller is the right coach for us at this point. I still support him and the team but I hope a change is made soon.

If the coach can't meet my expectations then I would not consider him a "really good coach". I am an IU fan and I do not hate Purdue, however, I would not be happy with Coach Painter's results. I believe IU can have an elite basketball program again but they must not accept meager coaching results and they need to be willing to fire anyone who cannot produce the results we seek. I do not believe Coach Miller is the right coach for us at this point. I still support him and the team but I hope a change is made soon.

What are your expectations?

Reactions: Bill4411
Painter’s achievements are on the Purdue stage, not IUs. With our following, resources and national reputation, a guy like Painter could excel. He’s out recruiting us now at a place known to be extremely difficult to recruit to. On the IU stage, he’d be great. Realize that’s never going to be a reality, but he never would’ve been fired for producing at IU as he’s done at Purdue. The results would’ve been significant greater than what we’ve achieved, and our administration is oh so slow about firing people. Glass being overruled by the BOT and being forced to fire Crean is a clear demonstration of that.

These guys are arguing because it’s Purdue. Intellectually, they have nothing. Basketball people of any stripe would laugh them out of a room for what they’re saying. One is my stalker, so I get that part of it. The other guy? Just a newbie fan who doesn’t have history.
Ima check out as opposed to bring logic then. Lol

Painter’s achievements are on the Purdue stage, not IUs. With our following, resources and national reputation, a guy like Painter could excel. He’s out recruiting us now at a place known to be extremely difficult to recruit to. On the IU stage, he’d be great. Realize that’s never going to be a reality, but he never would’ve been fired for producing at IU as he’s done at Purdue. The results would’ve been significant greater than what we’ve achieved, and our administration is oh so slow about firing people. Glass being overruled by the BOT and being forced to fire Crean is a clear demonstration of that.

Painter doesn’t have the personality or charisma to coach a namesake program or a program with high expectations. It’s why nobody, sans Missouri a decade ago has bothered to try and hire him. Painter couldn’t recruit at a bigger program because his system isn’t conducive to getting to the NBA. His track record in landing elite level talent (top 50 or better) is dog shit in a 15 year period and has recruited one player in 15 years whose made a meaningful impact in the NBA.

Painter is on a good run right now, but in 15 years 3 big ten titles and 1 elite 8 appearance. As a whole his career is extremely underwhelming. If Crean got fired after 2 big ten titles in 4 years 9 years in you don’t think Painter would’ve been after a last place finish his 9th year coming off a run to the CBI quarterfinals the year before?

Painter doesn’t have the personality or charisma to coach a namesake program or a program with high expectations. It’s why nobody, sans Missouri a decade ago has bothered to try and hire him. Painter couldn’t recruit at a bigger program because his system isn’t conducive to getting to the NBA. His track record in landing elite level talent (top 50 or better) is dog shit in a 15 year period and has recruited one player in 15 years whose made a meaningful impact in the NBA.
Lol. How did that personality and charisma strategy work for us with Tom Crean? And Miller is a personality and charisma guy, right? You’re struggling here.

And Archie has the personality/charisma?

Jay Wright had previously been to a F4 and had multiple second weekend appearances prior. Wright didn’t strong-arm his program into a pay raise and then fall flat on his face the next 4 years. Jay Wright’s one bad year doesn’t pale in comparison to the stretch Painter endured from years 8-11.
If you say Painter should have been fired then it kind of disingenuous to say he held Purdue hostage when he demanded a pay raise. It's a cold cruel world for coaches and you have to take care of your family when you can as the opportunity may not come along again.

not really the focus of this thread but....Villanova was well prepared to fire Jay Wright. To their credit they relented and were rewarded. Pine time for players & hot seats for coaches does wonders.

1001, 1002, 1003, 1004.

please stop

Last edited:
Maybe that’s part of the problem for you? Your expectations are way too high and you’d miss out on really good coaches like Painter.

Well, that may be true. Some of us have been around long enough to know the difference.

I am not knocking Matt, he seems like a good egg and has gotten a lot out of the talent he can bring to W Laffy. But he is a know quantity and he is what he is. He may well be better than Miller, as good as Crean and better than Davis. But some of us have higher expectations.

I meant who are programs between Purdue and blue bloods that would’ve gone after him.

I have no idea who would have gone after him. As far as i know only Mizzou has so far...but as you say there might have been others that we are unaware of.

I meant who are programs between Purdue and blue bloods that would’ve gone after him.
No one knows or could know, bit Painter didn’t hold Purdue hostage. They actively chose to respond to Mizzou’s offer, which is common in coaching circles and business in general. I know two people involved in the group(s) internally that responded to his offer (one a long time faculty member who, like me, is an IU alum. Anyone close to your athletic department would know who this person is. The other is a trustee who continues in that position today). MP is very likely perceived as essentially “tenured” at Purdue, given his longevity as both a coach and former player. It very likely means most schools wouldn’t consider him for a coaching opening because he’d never leave WL.

Always funny to read the comments of people who, first and foremost, immediately demonstrate they have no earthly idea what happened specifically or how things like this work. Humorous and mind boggling, all at once.

No one knows or could know, bit Painter didn’t hold Purdue hostage. They actively chose to respond to Mizzou’s offer, which is common in coaching circles and business in general. I know two people involved in the group(s) internally that responded to his offer (one a long time faculty member who, like me, is an IU alum. Anyone close to your athletic department would know who this person is. The other is a trustee who continues in that position today). MP is very likely perceived as essentially “tenured” at Purdue, given his longevity as both a coach and former player. It very likely means most schools wouldn’t consider him for a coaching opening because he’d never leave WL.

Always funny to read the comments of people who, first and foremost, immediately demonstrate they have no earthly idea what happened specifically or how things like this work. Humorous and mind boggling, all at once.

How did he not hold Purdue hostage? He was going to take the Mizzou job if they didn’t pay him. And while I don’t disagree with what Painter did in order to look out for himself, it’s what he did after receiving the pay raise. In the immediate four years following his extension, He had back to back losing seasons and went another two years without winning a tournament game. I’m sorry, but at any self-respecting program or job in general, you’re fired. Not only did Purdue not fire him, they gave him another raise.

We aspire to greater things than Painter can provide. Of course, it may be PU itself holding him back...
I believe that absolutely is something to look at and consider. I don't think its a coincidence that Painter is having his greatest success under a new AD. That was the whole reason for the mizzou debacle. Painter was trying to get more resources for the program because he was losing assistants left and right. Same thing happened to Tiller and football.

Fast forward to the new AD. Football and Basketball are both getting the resources needed and both are in better positions than 5 years ago. UCLA gave Painter a call and you barely heard of it because Painter just said na.

Reactions: Bill4411
How did he not hold Purdue hostage? He was going to take the Mizzou job if they didn’t pay him. And while I don’t disagree with what Painter did in order to look out for himself, it’s what he did after receiving the pay raise. In the immediate four years following his extension, He had back to back losing seasons and went another two years without winning a tournament game. I’m sorry, but at any self-respecting program or job in general, you’re fired. Not only did Purdue not fire him, they gave him another raise.

Jay Wright went 3 years without winning a tournament game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT