ADVERTISEMENT

PU/Brohm Season on the Brink?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search firms?

Search firms are for athletic directors with no balls.

That ain’t Glass.

@LarryWantsToBeAnIUFAN
tenor.gif

Search firms?

Search firms are for athletic directors with no balls.

That ain’t Glass.
I have nothing against search firms but when you have a candidate like Tom Allen you have to just pull the trigger. The search firms are always gonna be there. It seemed like IU finally had their guy in coach Hep and now we may be finally lucky. I don’t want to say another Coach Hep, I want much more from CTA. I want what coach Hoeppner seemed to be on the road to building and much more.

Maybe you should read your posts. True you don’t have to agree with everything that happens but you can’t disagree with everything and call yourself a fan. Maybe you are not s Purdue fan but it is easy to question being an IU fan.
So I have to agree with everything here to be a fan? Not surprised you feel that way.

So I have to agree with everything here to be a fan? Not surprised you feel that way.

Did you actually read the post? It clearly states you don’t have to like everything about IU football but you should like something. I don’t remember ever reading a post saying anything positive about the program. I am sorry if you have and I missed it.

Last edited:
Maybe you read the post again. It specifically says you do not have be to like everything but you should like something. Once again don’t

Did you actually read the post? It clearly states you don’t have to like everything about IU football but you should like something. I don’t remember ever reading a post saying anything positive about the program. I am sorry if you have and I missed it.
I’ve made plenty of “positive” posts but you’re so focused on anything I say as negative that it prevents you from having any objectivity, and that’s really the issue.

Against my better judgment, I'm going to give you one more shot, Larry. Please keep it civil and try to avoid condescension.

First, let's clear up one fact. Glass hardly lacks experience. He's been in the job for 10 years, eight when he promoted Allen to HC.

I'm sure you'd agree that running an athletics department is a multi-faceted job, and much more complex than 20+ years ago when schools would often simply move a burned-out head coach over to the AD position. Contract negotiation, risk management, compliance and related matters are a much bigger deal than they used to be. That's why we're seeing more ADs with business and even legal (e.g. Glass; Hobbs at Rutgers) backgrounds. With the budgets they manage and the staffing they oversee, it's really a CEO job now.

I can point to a number of successes that strongly suggest Glass has been a very good CEO - - and AD. Of course, as the largest revenue sports (although IU certainly doesn't seem to be hurting for cash these days), football and basketball must be considered. As a result, the hiring of Wilson and the extensions of both Wilson's and Crean's contracts deserve scrutiny. I don't think it's a reach for anyone to argue that mistakes were made in those areas. But Glass strikes me as a bright guy and I have little doubt he's learned from those mistakes. Most people, regardless of the nature or level of the job, learn on the job. Allen is doing that now, I know I've done it in various positions, and I suspect you have as well. Based on a lot that I've read, I believe Glass has become much more of a "football guy" since the day he first stepped into the AD's office. I also think it's quite possible that, for the first time since Mallory/Knight, we've got two highly qualified HCs simultaneously leading our two biggest sports.

Instead of continually griping about the "process," why don't we give this some time to play out. Glass may have hit a home run with Miller and Allen. Let's see what happens.

I agree with the process part of your statement. I could care less about the process of how TA was hired. What I care about and everyone else should care about are results. So far I love the results but there's so much more work to be done. Only time will tell so let's give him some time!

We get it...you didn't agree with the process FG used to hire Allen. Okay Bye!
I think more people would agree with me about your posts
Most people here think IU is doing “enough”. By the way, I have no beef with you in any way. We both want IU to win. I just think they need to do much more than their competition in order to get there.

Most people here think IU is doing “enough”. By the way, I have no beef with you in any way. We both want IU to win. I just think they need to do much more than their competition in order to get there.
Why do u refer to IU as they

Reactions: 76-1
I also have nothing against you. Where we differ is in our thoughts about IU s commitment to football. I believe there is a legitimate desire to build a winning football program. I don’t know if everything Fred Glass is doing to build a Championship athletic program. What I do know is that Fred Glass loves Indiana University. Most teams and facilities are better today than they were before he arrived back in Bloomington. I know not all of it is his doing. If the athletic program starts heading south then he is going to have to take a fall. Right now we are 3-0 in football heading into a huge game that will tell us how far we have advanced or if we truly are where we have been for a while. I also believe recruiting is on an upswing. Yes I keep an eye on that other schools recruiting and while right now it appears to be better than ours but I am not a huge believer in the star system. Let’s see what happens when they get on the field to evaluate talent. The star system is for fans not coaches. Here is one thing I think we can agree on and if not then one of us is not a real fan and that is Go Hoosiers beat MSU!

How many of those 16-17 returning starters played fewer than 4 games ? How many of those returning starters were offensive linemen ?

The problem last year was depth. We were depleted by injury and the previous staff had failed to recruit quality depth. We had an immobile QB playing behind an inexperienced offensive line with his two biggest targets at receiver injured the entire year. We had a front-loaded schedule that had us beat to hell by the time we had some winnable games.

It's true that we pissed away opportunities against Maryland and Purdue but fatigue played into that. It's the main reason TA replaced the s&c staff. Maybe Chip Kelly wins one of those games and gets us to a bowl, but with the schedule and injuries we had last year, I wouldn't put money on it.

I'm really tired of hearing the returning starter bs. If those returning starters spend the year injured, they might as well be returning cheerleaders. They aren't helping you win games.
Every team has injuries, but we lost eleven starters to injuries for some or all of the season last year. And it's not like IU had great depth to withstand this rash of injuries. The argument that Kelly or some other "super coach" would have magically overcome this is just ridiculous.
The injury excuse does not hold much water. The offense actually improved in scoring from the season before. And the defense was rated in the top 30. We lost two very winnable games which soured the season. If there wasn't depth last season, wouldn't that mean the same is true now? Just be honest and say it was an underachieving season. It's more believable and realistic.

The injury excuse does not hold much water. The offense actually improved in scoring from the season before. And the defense was rated in the top 30. We lost two very winnable games which soured the season. If there wasn't depth last season, wouldn't that mean the same is true now? Just be honest and say it was an underachieving season. It's more believable and realistic.
A credible argument can be made that, in light of the rash of injuries last season, we overachieved - - a testament to the coaching of Allen and DeBord.

But it's all water under the bridge now. We've had a nice start to this season, and have a really good chance to go bowling -- something our buddies in W. Lafayette won't be doing.

Reactions: 76-1
Well PU made a lot of this thread kinda mute....they played great today and avoided the stupid penalties that had cost them 2 of 3 games already. They stomped a rated (yes, over rated but lets see us do that) team into the turf. I said last weekend they were they best 0-3team in D1...just my opinion but wow they looked very good today.

That is the team we will face. Better be ready. Right now all thoughts better be on MSU...

Well PU made a lot of this thread kinda mute....they played great today and avoided the stupid penalties that had cost them 2 of 3 games already. They stomped a rated (yes, over rated but lets see us do that) team into the turf. I said last weekend they were they best 0-3team in D1...just my opinion but wow they looked very good today.

That is the team we will face. Better be ready. Right now all thoughts better be on MSU...
I am glad an IU fan stated this versus a PU fan. They have looked pretty decent this year. Better than their record indicated.

There's nothing "mute" - - or moot - - about this thread. Purdue just completed a 1-3 homestand. Going into the season, I'm sure most of their fans expected 3-1 or even 4-0 at this point. They've got a shot at the next two but it's very tough sledding after that.

I'm not sure why you feel the need to build them up on our board, but it's wonderful to see (based on your post's "likes") that you've made a couple of new Purdue friends.

There's nothing "mute" - - or moot - - about this thread. Purdue just completed a 1-3 homestand. Going into the season, I'm sure most of their fans expected 3-1 or even 4-0 at this point. They've got a shot at the next two but it's very tough sledding after that.

I'm not sure why you feel the need to build them up on our board, but it's wonderful to see (based on your post's "likes") that you've made a couple of new Purdue friends.
I said kinda...sorry your pissy after a loss.

Why this “hear no evil see no evil” thing on this board? You guys come to our board and mix it up and nobody ever gets banned. Now.. there have been more of you by 100 times on that board in the last week than previous years but whatever.

That 1-3 start was the worst thing that could have happened.. I doubt LSU is looking to steal Brohm now...

Why this “hear no evil see no evil” thing on this board? You guys come to our board and mix it up and nobody ever gets banned. Now.. there have been more of you by 100 times on that board in the last week than previous years but whatever.

That 1-3 start was the worst thing that could have happened.. I doubt LSU is looking to steal Brohm now...

Wow you are going to come over now after beating an extremely overrated BC team who had wins over Holy Cross, UMass and Wake Forest. The teams that beat you continue to lose. Meanwhile UVA beat Louisville . FIU played Miami relatively close but did score 60 on the Umass team that BC best and also beat ODU after losing their starting RB to a drive by shooting. By the way ODU beat VA Tech today. Your big opponent Missouri lost. Your division is definitely weaker than the west so can say you have the tougher non conference schedule but not true. And your conference schedule is definitely not as tough.

Wow you are going to come over now after beating an extremely overrated BC team who had wins over Holy Cross, UMass and Wake Forest. The teams that beat you continue to lose. Meanwhile UVA beat Louisville . FIU played Miami relatively close but did score 60 on the Umass team that BC best and also beat ODU after losing their starting RB to a drive by shooting. By the way ODU beat VA Tech today. Your big opponent Missouri lost. Your division is definitely weaker than the west so can say you have the tougher non conference schedule but not true. And your conference schedule is definitely not as tough.

Come over here now? You do realize if any Purdue poster even disagrees with you, let alone has a real debate, they’re banned, right?

Missouri lost to #2 Georgia. And wake me up when IU Beats the most overrated ranked opponent ever... you’ve got 40 conference wins in 23 years.

Come over here now? You do realize if any Purdue poster even disagrees with you, let alone has a real debate, they’re banned, right?

Missouri lost to #2 Georgia. And wake me up when IU Beats the most overrated ranked opponent ever... you’ve got 40 conference wins in 23 years.

Actually, IU upset a ranked Missouri opponent early in the season in 2014 on the road. The 2016 MSU win at home, the Spartans were ranked.
I think Mizzou went on to finish something like 11-3 and #14 in the final AP poll.

So consider that your wake up call.

This notion that PU had this super tough schedule went out the window pretty fast. Stick to sobbing about officials screwing you out of every game you lose.

Reactions: Chriselli
Actually, IU upset a ranked Missouri opponent early in the season in 2014 on the road. The 2016 MSU win at home, the Spartans were ranked.
I think Mizzou went on to finish something like 11-3 and #14 in the final AP poll.

So consider that your wake up call.

Two years ago? Two years ago Darrell hazell was Purdue’s coach. How many of these players were impact players on that team.

Oh but hey, you care about how long ago things are huh? So when was the last IU bo l win? :’)

This notion that PU had this super tough schedule went out the window pretty fast. Stick to sobbing about officials screwing you out of every game you lose.

I never have sobbed about that. It wasn’t good, but this team was always going to be the team most impacted by hazell’s recruiting... no different than two years after Dinardo left IU.. having anything bad that that team would have done be a referendum on the new coach. I was in fact on the Purdue board telling people not to be surprised if we were 1-3.

In all honesty Bc was overrated, but they will be a bowl team.. we also played a Missouri team that’s GOOD. You can’t argue IUs OOC is that tough...

Purdue has to prove things at Nebraska.. but if they even back into a win, they’ve come out on the other side from breaking in a LOT of new players ...

I never have sobbed about that. It wasn’t good, but this team was always going to be the team most impacted by hazell’s recruiting... no different than two years after Dinardo left IU.. having anything bad that that team would have done be a referendum on the new coach. I was in fact on the Purdue board telling people not to be surprised if we were 1-3.

In all honesty Bc was overrated, but they will be a bowl team.. we also played a Missouri team that’s GOOD. You can’t argue IUs OOC is that tough...

Purdue has to prove things at Nebraska.. but if they even back into a win, they’ve come out on the other side from breaking in a LOT of new players ...

Mizzu has a great QB and no defense...zero and that was known before the game.

The is not true at all because the mods let PU fans stay o here especially on the basketball boards,, I have never been to your board or any other teams boards and I find it sad that you feel like you need to even come here in the first place.

The is not true at all because the mods let PU fans stay o here especially on the basketball boards,, I have never been to your board or any other teams boards and I find it sad that you feel like you need to even come here in the first place.

There was a cleanup here about 4 months ago and several were sent packing who had been here a long time. Two or three of them should not have been banned.

This nonsense about Purdue’s much tougher schedule gets lost on Purdue fans every year because they forget they always have 2 of the top 4 East division teams they never play in the same season . This year it is Penn State and Michigan.
Your first 4 games were literally at home. That is some bit of an advantage. Purdue just happened to blow those 3 games it had to have.

Two years ago? Two years ago Darrell hazell was Purdue’s coach. How many of these players were impact players on that team.

Oh but hey, you care about how long ago things are huh? So when was the last IU bo l win? :’)

Are you this dense? You asked when was the last time IU beat an over ranked opponent. I have provides you two examples, one of which actually went on to win their division in the SEC so they technically weren’t “over ranked.” Purdue’s last win over a ranked team was Illinois in 2011.

This nonsense about Purdue’s much tougher schedule gets lost on Purdue fans every year because they forget they always have 2 of the top 4 East division teams they never play in the same season . This year it is Penn State and Michigan.
Your first 4 games were literally at home. That is some bit of an advantage. Purdue just happened to blow those 3 games it had to have.

Let’s tackle this... you have according to sbnation

2 Ohio State
5 Penn State
6 Michigan
18 MSU
31 Iowa
45 Purdue
46 Virginia
61 Maryland
64 Minnesota
100 FIU
116 Rutgers
131 Charleston Southern
Average: 59.1

We have

2 Ohio State
12 Wisconsin
18 MSU
27 Missouri
31 Iowa
41 Boston College
43 Indiana
60 Northwestern
64 Minnesota
73 Nebraska
74 EMU
102 Illinois
Average: 45.5

And that’s if we assume Charleston is the number 1 FCS team..

You were saying?

Are you this dense? You asked when was the last time IU beat an over ranked opponent. I have provides you two examples, one of which actually went on to win their division in the SEC so they technically weren’t “over ranked.” Purdue’s last win over a ranked team was Illinois in 2011.

No, actually you can’t read.. I told you to wake me up when they do.. meaning with this current crop. How good purdue or Indiana were 2 years ago or 14 years ago is irrelevant. Unless you’re going to argue that if either school sucks, there will be living room impact to the statement “well, you know, we did beat a ranked team when I wasn’t head coach two years ago...”

Let’s tackle this... you have according to sbnation

2 Ohio State
5 Penn State
6 Michigan
18 MSU
31 Iowa
45 Purdue
46 Virginia
61 Maryland
64 Minnesota
100 FIU
116 Rutgers
131 Charleston Southern
Average: 59.1

We have

2 Ohio State
12 Wisconsin
18 MSU
27 Missouri
31 Iowa
41 Boston College
43 Indiana
60 Northwestern
64 Minnesota
73 Nebraska
74 EMU
102 Illinois
Average: 45.5

And that’s if we assume Charleston is the number 1 FCS team..

You were saying?

We didn’t play Charleston Southern this year. We played Ball State, a MAC school, just like Eastern Michigan. Ball State is #110 according to the S&P. So, you can eliminate the assumptions there of 131.

That brings the average to 50.3.
So the difficulty of each schedule is virtually identical. That is in response to all these Purdue nerds that bemoan how IU schedules “cream puffs” and don’t realize that the schedules work out to be nearly even over the course of the year for both teams.

Schools will rise and fall on this schedule as the season goes on.

We didn’t play Charleston Southern this year. We played Ball State, a MAC school, just like Eastern Michigan. Ball State is #110 according to the S&P. So, you can eliminate the assumptions there of 131.

That brings the average to 50.3.
So the difficulty of each schedule is virtually identical. That is in response to all these Purdue nerds that bemoan how IU schedules “cream puffs” and don’t realize that the schedules work out to be nearly even over the course of the year for both teams.

Schools will rise and fall on this schedule as the season goes on.

Well when they say that, you can’t choose your conference schedule. Purdue can say “I wish we’d realign the conference.” Everyone else would say no... the three teams you schedule are entirely up to you...

When you google Indiana football schedule for some reason Charleston Southern is on the top.. but ok yeah 50... Indiana definitely doesn’t have a tougher schedule, but there isn’t this huge overall difference. There is in the opponents we have leeway with however.

My thing is, why do we allow you guys to say whatever you want on our board but if there’s even a non contentious debate, we get banned? Are your posters really that afraid?

Well when they say that, you can’t choose your conference schedule. Purdue can say “I wish we’d realign the conference.” Everyone else would say no... the three teams you schedule are entirely up to you...

When you google Indiana football schedule for some reason Charleston Southern is on the top.. but ok yeah 50... Indiana definitely doesn’t have a tougher schedule, but there isn’t this huge overall difference. There is in the opponents we have leeway with however.

My thing is, why do we allow you guys to say whatever you want on our board but if there’s even a non contentious debate, we get banned? Are your posters really that afraid?

Don't move the goalpost. The discussion is about Purdue and Purdue grads making this claim that their schedule is brutal and much tougher than IU. It isn't IU or IU grads making such silly claims,

Simply not factual.

Oh, and did you read the crap that New Pal Boiler and others posted here for many months? Those posts wouldn't last 15 min on Alan Karpicks site. A site where Karpick has allowed the likes of AbuGabby, Heller, arcb102000, BBG hunkgolden shower and Twindegrees among others to mock Heps death, call Joni Crean a whore, threaten me physically etc etc etc.

You are so far from reality it isn't funny, but you are welcome to stay.

Reactions: IUgradman
Don't move the goalpost. The discussion is about Purdue and Purdue grads making this claim that their schedule is brutal and much tougher than IU. It isn't IU or IU grads making such silly claims,

Simply not factual.

Oh, and did you read the crap that New Pal Boiler and others posted here for many months? Those posts wouldn't last 15 min on Alan Karpicks site. A site where Karpick has allowed the likes of AbuGabby, Heller, arcb102000, BBG hunkgolden shower and Twindegrees among others to mock Heps death, call Joni Crean a whore, threaten me physically etc etc etc.

You are so far from reality it isn't funny, but you are welcome to stay.

You don’t think there’s even an implication that they’re talking about the schools we can choose to schedule? Cause I don’t know any Purdue grads that think the West is as tough as the east.

And really to be honest, I’m not much for tribalism. I like Purdue grads, on average, a lot less than people from my hometown or people I run into who are working people.., when I went there, it seemed like 75% of the guys were the type of guy who ran their mouth because they knew mommy and daddy would back them... I’m probably one of the five least popular posters ever there lol. Go ask if anyone likes matrix.. most don’t. I root for my school.. I’m not a defender of the Purdue fan base at large ...

So, if they’re telling you the overall schedule is night and day .. uh they’re off base..

I didn’t come in here and say the schedules are night and day. The ooc schedules are..

Last edited:

This is absolutely false about the boards. There are several Boiler posters who come on here and have civil discussions with Hoosier fans and they are not banned. I can tell you of at least a few Hoosier posters who have gone to GBI to have civil conversation and were instantly banned because of their handle. GBI is notorious for seeing any reference to IU in a poster’s moniker and banning them instantly. It’s happened to several here. I visit GBI sometimes just to browse or get a pulse on the reaction from fans. I don’t post, even when somebody has some infantile rant about IU.
There are many families across the state that have kids who have gone to both schools. I have friends that went to Purdue and don’t follow sports at all. Couldn’t tell you who the coach is in football. I can guarantee the same holds true for IU. Don’t think we could ever say the same for Ohio State because that’s all they got (football) but I digress.
For everybody other than the .005% of kids on campus playing sports, it all boils down to getting an education. There is a healthy level of rivalry and an unhealthy level. I follow the old Christian adage when it comes to Purdue: hate the sin, not the sinner.

Reactions: BoilerFYF
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT