ADVERTISEMENT

PU/Brohm Season on the Brink?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mods...if you even exist anymore, and there is substantial doubt about this...

Please shut this thread down as troll boy has accomplished his goal.

Because perhaps I missed it but I have never seen you post anything positive.
It’s not that they don’t some things right, it’s that they haven’t done enough to create a winning program, and it’s apparent that most of the fans here think what they’ve done is good enough, in spite of the historical results.

One of the things that has been debated here on these boards is the “national search for a proven head coach.”
The implication is that this process leads to better/more immediate results. IU didn’t do it and, again, the implication is that was the wrong move.

How is the “home run” can’t miss hire doing?

Chip Kelly. 0-3
https://www.google.com/amp/amp.si.c...er-dorian-thompson-robinson-qb-lousy-coaching

One of the things that has been debated here on these boards is the “national search for a proven head coach.”
The implication is that this process leads to better/more immediate results. IU didn’t do it and, again, the implication is that was the wrong move.

How is the “home run” can’t miss hire doing?

Chip Kelly. 0-3
https://www.google.com/amp/amp.si.c...er-dorian-thompson-robinson-qb-lousy-coaching

Are you implying that Chip Kelly was a bad hire because he started 0-3? Bill Mallory was 0-11. I'll put my chips behind Kelly turning that ship around. I don't disagree that national searches fail, but Chip Kelly probably isn't the best example of that IMO.

Are you implying that Chip Kelly was a bad hire because he started 0-3? Bill Mallory was 0-11. I'll put my chips behind Kelly turning that ship around. I don't disagree that national searches fail, but Chip Kelly probably isn't the best example of that IMO.

It’s in the context of this thread.

If Tom Allen is a proven bad hire because of one Bucket Game, and Brohm is a proven better coach because of one Bucket Game ...

Florida State’s big name hire is struggling too

The rule is still true - you gotta judge a coach after you see his team play with HIS players. That means year 3 at the earliest. Until then it’s a guess, made on some coaching factors but not all.

IU is off to a nice start this year, one thing tho I would be frustrated about is fan support. How come you guys can't come close to selling that stadium out? If I was a die hard IU fan I'd be extremely frustrated about that.

Purdue is 0-3 and is expected to have over 50,000 in the stadium on Saturday

IU is off to a nice start this year, one thing tho I would be frustrated about is fan support. How come you guys can't come close to selling that stadium out? If I was a die hard IU fan I'd be extremely frustrated about that.

You haven’t had over 50,000 for any of your 3 home losses, wondering why you think you’ll get “over” 50 going for 0-4.

It’s the same logic that you see when posters totally dismiss the value of football only facilities every time a team with one loses a game. Anything to justify doing things the same way.

Reactions: fpeaugh

UCLA got their 8th commitment yesterday - a 2-star running back. Fans are nervous in Westwood.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
If it were up to the "we gotta hire a big name coach" crew Les Miles would be walking the sideline... Yeah, the same guy who it's clear nobody else in their right mind will touch with a ten foot pole...

The other prior mantra was: "look at what purdue did"... Let's take a look at that shall we.. They picked up a coach who hired a staff that's got everyone but his third cousin working for him, a staff that's clearly built to coach Louisville not pu. Personally, I'd rather not have a guy who's got one foot out the door even as he was signed to a lucrative contract...

We've got the right guy, at the right time, in the right place. A guy who Wants to be here!!! We should celebrate that lucky turn of events, not bitch and whine about it...

You haven’t had over 50,000 for any of your 3 home losses, wondering why you think you’ll get “over” 50 going for 0-4.
Monster truck show in the parking lot. Tractor pull at halftime. Anyone over age 30 who has never had sex ( not counting livestock) gets in free. They're going to be lined up to get in the gate. More flannel and skoal than has ever been assembled in one location at one time outside the states of Kentucky and West Virginia.

It's homecoming and officials expect near 50k. Yes we've been upper 40's near 50. You didn't answer the question about fan support.

It’s the same logic that you see when posters totally dismiss the value of football only facilities every time a team with one loses a game. Anything to justify doing things the same way.
You have made your point how many more times you going to say it. By the way it is gonna be close to a $120 million on facilities with both end zones and locker room and new player lounge and football only training room.

Reactions: vesuvius13

In answer to your question, our first home game was in a deluge, and the second was against Ball State. We'll have a nice crowd this Saturday night and, if we win that game, I'd expect a sellout for the next home game against Iowa and a big crowd against Penn State. If we've secured (or are playing for) bowl eligibility by/on November 24, we will have another sellout for the ass-kicking of your sorry team.

In answer to your question, our first home game was in a deluge, and the second was against Ball State. We'll have a nice crowd this Saturday night and, if we win that game, I'd expect a sellout for the next home game against Iowa and a big crowd against Penn State. If we've secured (or are playing for) bowl eligibility by/on November 24, we will have another sellout for the ass-kicking of your sorry team.

I thought I saw that there is like 15,000 tickets still available for this weekend?

You have made your point how many more times you going to say it. By the way it is gonna be close to a $120 million on facilities with both end zones and locker room and new player lounge and football only training room.
Those aren’t football only expenditures. You keep trying to make a point based on inaccurate information.

It's homecoming and officials expect near 50k. Yes we've been upper 40's near 50. You didn't answer the question about fan support.
We played one game in a tropical storm and another against BSU where our attendance was over 40. Your attendance on the same day,for a beautiful evening game against an SEC opponent, was 47. Could be wrong, but I’m guessing Mizzou brought more fans than BSU . And after all, you have Brohm “the great” and we have a “HS coach” (according to you boilees,lol) so your attendance should be better.

I thought I saw that there is like 15,000 tickets still available for this weekend?

You'd better worry about what BC is about to do to your team. (pu)

Your hero Brohm is on track for an Oh-For season. Wonder how your AD is feeling about that contract extension now?

By the way, we're not laughing with you, we Are laughing At you...

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13
Attendance is the only thing Purdue fans can take solace in these days. But enjoy it while it lasts. You'll have a decent crowd for Ohio State (because it's Ohio State) but, by the time November rolls around and your season is fully in the crapper, you'll be lucky to have 35,000 in the stands for Iowa and Wisconsin.

We played Missouri in a night game at our place a few years ago. they brought a good crowd. I saw a significant # of Mizzou fans in the stands at Purdue Saturday night.

50k for homecoming is not all that special. I don't know if we'll have 50k for our homecoming with Iowa, but it will be close - especially if we're still playing well and winning. If you guys keep up your current pace, I'm guessing your numbers are going to take a marked decline.

One other thing. A story linked on this site a couple of weeks ago about declining cfb attendance listed Purdue as the #1 school in the nation in terms of the discrepancy of tickets sold vs. actual bodies through the turnstile. Something about their technology couldn't account for the difference. Pretty sad when an engineering school can't figure out how to account for something the rest of the nation can. I guess math isn't a strong suit in W. Laffy - or maybe lying is just a preferred option.

Only what I read I obviously don’t have insider info so how much has been spent?

The NEZ cost $28 million.
The SEZ cost $53 million.
More already approved for the football stadium - locker room, etc.
Actual construction has to wait until season ends.

They also upgraded (paved/trees planted/lines painted) the parking lots/tailgating areas north of the stadium.
Don't know that number.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
If it were up to the "we gotta hire a big name coach" crew Les Miles would be walking the sideline... Yeah, the same guy who it's clear nobody else in their right mind will touch with a ten foot pole...

The other prior mantra was: "look at what purdue did"... Let's take a look at that shall we.. They picked up a coach who hired a staff that's got everyone but his third cousin working for him, a staff that's clearly built to coach Louisville not pu. Personally, I'd rather not have a guy who's got one foot out the door even as he was signed to a lucrative contract...

We've got the right guy, at the right time, in the right place. A guy who Wants to be here!!! We should celebrate that lucky turn of events, not bitch and whine about it...
That 's something no one should overlook. Tom Allen wants to be the head football coach at Indiana. IMHO, he's living the dream.

Not true at all. The post was meant as a counter to many of you who have insinuated almost immediate results with a proven coaching commodity.
If Chip Kelly was hired here and started 0-3, you’d come out with the “give him time because he’s proven.”
We hire a coordinator and he’s 3-0 and the narrative suddenly flips to “well, we get what we pay for.”

The point is: nobody knows or can conclusively say that a guy with a “resume” is guaranteed to do any more than the guy as a first year coach. There are tons of experienced guys that get hired at new schools and flop for one reason or another.

We played Missouri in a night game at our place a few years ago. they brought a good crowd. I saw a significant # of Mizzou fans in the stands at Purdue Saturday night.

50k for homecoming is not all that special. I don't know if we'll have 50k for our homecoming with Iowa, but it will be close - especially if we're still playing well and winning. If you guys keep up your current pace, I'm guessing your numbers are going to take a marked decline.

One other thing. A story linked on this site a couple of weeks ago about declining cfb attendance listed Purdue as the #1 school in the nation in terms of the discrepancy of tickets sold vs. actual bodies through the turnstile. Something about their technology couldn't account for the difference. Pretty sad when an engineering school can't figure out how to account for something the rest of the nation can. I guess math isn't a strong suit in W. Laffy - or maybe lying is just a preferred option.
They know the number. It’s a choice not to release/admit up to it. Gotta play the perception game and these days, it’s about how to spin it best.

Reactions: 76-1
Not true at all. The post was meant as a counter to many of you who have insinuated almost immediate results with a proven coaching commodity.
If Chip Kelly was hired here and started 0-3, you’d come out with the “give him time because he’s proven.”
We hire a coordinator and he’s 3-0 and the narrative suddenly flips to “well, we get what we pay for.”

The point is: nobody knows or can conclusively say that a guy with a “resume” is guaranteed to do any more than the guy as a first year coach. There are tons of experienced guys that get hired at new schools and flop for one reason or another.
No one has insinuated @immediate results”. Not once.

There is nothing a Purdue fan will ever understand about an IU fan. Why do you think that we don't have an organized "Purdue Sucks" chant at every game?

Reactions: 76-1

Actually more than that when you take into account the upgraded parking areas. That wasn't cheap, but it is first class.

Chip Kelly has had to start his UCLA team from scratch, including a whole new staff. Their schedule has been fairly tough too. I don't know how many starters returned, but they did lose their QB Rosen to the NFL. Vegas had UCLA pegged at 5.5 wins this season. IU had 16-17 returning starters for last years team returning. You tell me, would Chip Kelly have had IU in a bowl game last season? I would without a doubt say yes.

Chip Kelly has had to start his UCLA team from scratch, including a whole new staff. Their schedule has been fairly tough too. I don't know how many starters returned, but they did lose their QB Rosen to the NFL. Vegas had UCLA pegged at 5.5 wins this season. IU had 16-17 returning starters for last years team returning. You tell me, would Chip Kelly have had IU in a bowl game last season? I would without a doubt say yes.

UCLA recruiting class ranks the past 4 years:

2015 - #13
2016 - #12
2017 - #21
2018 - #19

Starting from scratch? They have a much better/talented group of players to work with. You tell me?

A coach that is dealt a hand of 4 star kids for four consecutive classes....should they lose at home to Cincinnati or Fresno State?

How many of those 16-17 returning starters played fewer than 4 games ? How many of those returning starters were offensive linemen ?

The problem last year was depth. We were depleted by injury and the previous staff had failed to recruit quality depth. We had an immobile QB playing behind an inexperienced offensive line with his two biggest targets at receiver injured the entire year. We had a front-loaded schedule that had us beat to hell by the time we had some winnable games.

It's true that we pissed away opportunities against Maryland and Purdue but fatigue played into that. It's the main reason TA replaced the s&c staff. Maybe Chip Kelly wins one of those games and gets us to a bowl, but with the schedule and injuries we had last year, I wouldn't put money on it.

I'm really tired of hearing the returning starter bs. If those returning starters spend the year injured, they might as well be returning cheerleaders. They aren't helping you win games.

UCLA recruiting class ranks the past 4 years:

2015 - #13
2016 - #12
2017 - #21
2018 - #19

Starting from scratch? They have a much better/talented group of players to work with. You tell me?

A coach that is dealt a hand of 4 star kids for four consecutive classes....should they lose at home to Cincinnati or Fresno State?
I don't have time at the moment to look into UCLA's previous recruiting and current roster. All I have to know is what Vegas thinks. And at 5.5 wins predicted, with an offensive guru like Kelly, that is all I need to know that they were not supposed to be all that good this season. I won't absolve an 0-3 start, but I'd be willing to guess those are all going to be bowl-bound teams.

Reactions: Chriselli
Every team has injuries, but we lost eleven starters to injuries for some or all of the season last year. And it's not like IU had great depth to withstand this rash of injuries. The argument that Kelly or some other "super coach" would have magically overcome this is just ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT