ADVERTISEMENT

PU/Brohm Season on the Brink?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IndyIUFan66

All-Big Ten
Jun 23, 2013
I prefer to focus on IU not PU, but their post Bucket game cockiness from last year really gnawed at me, so...

I have said their season could go off he rails and so far it is. Their next two games at home are SEC 2-0 Mizzou, then ACC 2-0 Boston College. Those are far from gimmies even at home.

Then they have a ROUGh B10 schedule. At this point, if they have more losses, then suddenly their seemingly winnable away game at Illinois doesn’t seem so easy either.

My guess is they will tighten some things up but I could see this as a max 4-win team or less. If that happens, then will be hard for them to sell the “program on the rise” narrative again, especially if they lose the Bucket game and IU goes bowling.

Ok, now back to focusing on IU, but sometimes you have to savor a little PU FB misery after all their years of bragging and IU Sucks chants.

This is not surprising for me as I always dogged brohm and just did not see the outstanding coaching last year. If he's half the coach everyone says he'll get the wheels back on the track. We'll see.

I'm sure purdue is in complete meltdown mode. They have to deal with mizzou now and they are prolly still pissed after last years game. Could be ugly.

Reactions: 76-1
What a rough week for the poor Boiler-uppers. Lose another basketball recruit to IU they thought they had in the bag, then get hit with the realization that their football coach isn't the Second Coming after all. Almost brings a tear to my eye.

What a rough week for the poor Boiler-uppers. Lose another basketball recruit to IU they thought they had in the bag, then get hit with the realization that their football coach isn't the Second Coming after all. Almost brings a tear to my eye.
giphy.gif

I prefer to focus on IU not PU, but their post Bucket game cockiness from last year really gnawed at me, so...

I have said their season could go off he rails and so far it is. Their next two games at home are SEC 2-0 Mizzou, then ACC 2-0 Boston College. Those are far from gimmies even at home.

Then they have a ROUGh B10 schedule. At this point, if they have more losses, then suddenly their seemingly winnable away game at Illinois doesn’t seem so easy either.

My guess is they will tighten some things up but I could see this as a max 4-win team or less. If that happens, then will be hard for them to sell the “program on the rise” narrative again, especially if they lose the Bucket game and IU goes bowling.

Ok, now back to focusing on IU, but sometimes you have to savor a little PU FB misery after all their years of bragging and IU Sucks chants.

I’ve said all along and will keep doing so until I’m proven wrong. If Brohm coaches in the B1G East we wouldn’t t have even heard his name last year.

What Purdue does or doesn't do this season, matters not. Bowl or bust for IU. Why some of our fans want to see total failure up north makes little sense to me. I'd rather see both schools competing at a high level with big bowl dreams. Makes the Bucket game much more attractive than a couple of 5-6 teams going at it.

D just like another good year of IU strong and them weak to enjoy and help us establish there recruits we want. Then let them get to 80% of IU so we can win 80% of bucket games! (If not 100%!)

Reactions: vesuvius13 and td75
Why some of our fans want to see total failure up north makes little sense to me. I'd rather see both schools competing at a high level with big bowl dreams. Makes the Bucket game much more attractive than a couple of 5-6 teams going at it.
Hoping for success on the part of our rival makes little sense to me. I want IU to dominate them in recruiting, on the field, and in every way imaginable. And I'm perfectly content with a 7-4 (or better) IU team playing a 4-7 Purdue team in the Bucket game every season.

This is not surprising for me as I always dogged brohm and just did not see the outstanding coaching last year. If he's half the coach everyone says he'll get the wheels back on the track. We'll see.

I'm sure purdue is in complete meltdown mode. They have to deal with mizzou now and they are prolly still pissed after last years game. Could be ugly.

When we had Crean our complaint was that his teams generally played better during the beginning of the year and worse during the last 10 games. We'll see how good Brohm is as a coach when we play them in the last game of the season . . . if his team improves dramatically from now to then, my guess is we'll feel like he's a pretty good coach.

It's a long season. A lot can happen.

What Purdue does or doesn't do this season, matters not. Bowl or bust for IU. Why some of our fans want to see total failure up north makes little sense to me. I'd rather see both schools competing at a high level with big bowl dreams. Makes the Bucket game much more attractive than a couple of 5-6 teams going at it.
Oh, I disagree big time. This state cannot support two successful in state B10 teams plus ND recruiting wise.

Teams rebound. One bad loss doesn’t define a season unless you are playing for a national playoff spot. Mizzou actually rebounded well last year and rattled off 6 straight wins and their fans were ready to run the guy out of town. Northwestern had some seasons where they had an early clunker losing to a MAC team or FCS opponent but went on to a bowl.

IU needs a 3-0 start because the remaining 9 are going to be dogfights.

I still have a feeling both teams may enter the bucket game at 5-6. I’m glad to at least see the momentum stall up north. I wouldn’t say it’s shifting back yet but at least the perception might be starting to change.

Have a feelin
I still have a feeling both teams may enter the bucket game at 5-6. I’m glad to at least see the momentum stall up north. I wouldn’t say it’s shifting back yet but at least the perception might be starting to change.
Have a feeling PU will be 5-6 for bucket? Assume you agree won’t beat OSU or Wisconsin at home or MSU or Neb on road? There’s your six losses righ there. They’ll have to run table on:
Mizzou & BC at home
@illinoi & @Minnesota
Iowa @ home

I don’t see it happening. Of the 5 games above I say they win 2. That would be 2-9 going into bucket game.

IU I believe will be 6-5 or 7-4.

But that’s why we play the games!

Have a feelin

Have a feeling PU will be 5-6 for bucket? Assume you agree won’t beat OSU or Wisconsin at home or MSU or Neb on road? There’s your six losses righ there. They’ll have to run table on:
Mizzou & BC at home
@illinoi & @Minnesota
Iowa @ home

I don’t see it happening. Of the 5 games above I say they win 2. That would be 2-9 going into bucket game.

I hope you’re right and I’m wrong obviously.

Reactions: vesuvius13
and I'm still trying to figure out how Purdue won last year's bucket game...

they shouldn't have - yet they did...

don't see purdue winning more than 4 games this season...at best.

Have a feelin

Mizzou & BC at home
@illinoi & @Minnesota
Iowa @ home

At this point, I'd probably put @Neb as a more winnable game than Iowa as of right now, but overall I agree with your assessment, Purdue has a tough road to 3 wins at this point, let alone 5, before the bucket game. It's plausible for them to get to a bowl, but they would need a dramatic turn around, IN THE NEXT WEEK, as they probably need to go 2-1 over the next 3 weeks against Mizzou, BC, and Nebraska to even have a chance to make a bowl. Play like they did the last 2 weeks (the close loss to NW is downgraded after they looked terrible against Duke), they probably lose all 3 of those games.

Have a feelin

Mizzou & BC at home
@illinoi & @Minnesota
Iowa @ home

let's beat PU this yr before we talk trash.

At this point, I'd probably put @Neb as a more winnable game than Iowa as of right now, but overall I agree with your assessment, Purdue has a tough road to 3 wins at this point, let alone 5, before the bucket game. It's plausible for them to get to a bowl, but they would need a dramatic turn around, IN THE NEXT WEEK, as they probably need to go 2-1 over the next 3 weeks against Mizzou, BC, and Nebraska to even have a chance to make a bowl. Play like they did the last 2 weeks (the close loss to NW is downgraded after they looked terrible against Duke), they probably lose all 3 of those games.
Closing 6-4, including 5-3 or 6-2 in the BiG 10, would be a huge achievement for them. Don’t think they have the horses for that.

The idea that IU and PU can not have good programs simultaneously, is really outdated. That idea has been around for the last 40 plus years. I guess if they were only allowed to recruit the state of Indiana, it might be true.

That said, Indiana needs to aspire to be the Big Ten Champions on their own merits. Indiana plays in a completely different division than Purdue and Indiana needs to build their program differently than those people. Indiana needs to build their program to beat Penn State and Michigan, not Purdue.

The idea that IU and PU can not have good programs simultaneously, is really outdated. That idea has been around for the last 40 plus years. I guess if they were only allowed to recruit the state of Indiana, it might be true.

That said, Indiana needs to aspire to be the Big Ten Champions on their own merits. Indiana plays in a completely different division than Purdue and Indiana needs to build their program differently than those people. Indiana needs to build their program to beat Penn State and Michigan, not Purdue.
I don’t think it’s outdated. There are not a lot of top level players in this state and we need every advantage we can get to recruit the state and region. We need the FL kids and whoever we can get, but it would help to pull just one or two more instate every year as well. It defies logic that we will outrecruit southern schools or schools with a legit playoff shot for Florida talent year in and year out. We need access to good local kids who want to stay close to home.

I wish it weren’t the case, but the argument that PU buzz doesn’t hurt IU recruiting does make a lot of sense to me.

Maybe it's not outdated, but I still think it should be doable that both schools have good football teams. I don't really see a reason why both schools can't be 7-4 or 8-3 entering the Bucket. This idea that both teams can only be 5-6 entering the Bucket game with a bowl on the line, is goofy.

I'll say this, Indiana should out recruit Purdue for the better in state players, particularly now that Indiana has shown they care about football. Indiana has been their own worst enemy, followed closely by the Big Ten conference.

I don’t think it’s outdated. There are not a lot of top level players in this state and we need every advantage we can get to recruit the state and region. We need the FL kids and whoever we can get, but it would help to pull just one or two more instate every year as well. It defies logic that we will outrecruit southern schools or schools with a legit playoff shot for Florida talent year in and year out. We need access to good local kids who want to stay close to home.

I wish it weren’t the case, but the argument that PU buzz doesn’t hurt IU recruiting does make a lot of sense to me.

The exclusive recruiting of the state of Indiana and the Midwest had a lot to do with Coach Mal’s undoing. He took a bunch of kids from the state of Indiana in his final 4 years that had no business playing D-1 ball.
There are a bunch of guys in Florida that are 3-star guys on Rivals but would easily be 4-star kids in the Midwest. Rivals has no factor involved to account for regional or high school competition level.

One of the things I really like that Coach Allen is trying to do at IU is establishing standards for unit play.
The non-negotiable stuff. Things like we are going to be aggressive on defense, our offensiive line is expected to be physical. We need to run the ball. We are expected to create take-sways and win the turnover battle.
I know words can be meaningless but establishing a standard of expectation should be absolutely mandatory for any program trying to build an identity.

Maybe you are right and it is outdated but I have a question. How many times in those 40 years plus has IU and PU had good football teams?

I really don't know the answer but if memory serves me correctly, either one was up and the other was down or they were both bad. I don't remember many years when both were good.

That doesn't necessarily prove that they both can't have good teams/programs but IMO does point to that conclusion.

Anybody see an IU Football Board around here?

I could have sworn this was where that site used to be...

This one is starting to look more like GBI...

We have a football game, at home, with Ball State this weekend gentlemen.

We'll see that flaming train wreck of a program from up north in November. Why not wait till we get a bit closer to that game to focus on them....?

0-5

Anybody see an IU Football Board around here?

I could have sworn this was where that site used to be...

This one is starting to look more like GBI...

We have a football game, at home, with Ball State this weekend gentlemen.

We'll see that flaming train wreck of a program from up north in November. Why not wait till we get a bit closer to that game to focus on them....?
Ordinarily I'd agree with you, but after all the pro-Brohm and pro-Purdue b.s. on this board in the weeks prior to the start of the season, I'm happy to discuss the shitshow that Purdue's season has quickly become.

Their schedule does them no favors, with only three remaining home Big Ten games, and two of them against Ohio State and Wisconsin. It's likely that they'll already be eliminated from bowl contention by the time they play us in November

Ordinarily I'd agree with you, but after all the pro-Brohm and pro-Purdue b.s. on this board in the weeks prior to the start of the season, I'm happy to discuss the shitshow that Purdue's season has quickly become.

Their schedule does them no favors, with only three remaining home Big Ten games, and two of them against Ohio State and Wisconsin. It's likely that they'll already be eliminated from bowl contention by the time they play us in November
I've always been of the opinion that what's bad for Purdue is good for IU and vice-versa. There are limited #s of D-1 caliber players in this state and region, not enough for both of us to get an adequate number. After OSU and Michigan pick off who they want, we benefit when none or few of the rest matriculate to W. Laffy. History has proven that generally only one of us can be bowl-worthy in the same season.

Add to the fact that PUke fans are generally overbearing and obsessed with beating IU, I find the vast majority of them insufferable when they have success in either football or basketball. If you have Broilees as co-workers or family members you understand. IU can dominate them for years and the first time they come out ahead they act like they own you.

While I don't outwardly revel in their failure in their presence, I am inwardly overjoyed that they will at least stfu in the interim. Because God knows that when their team is better, they remind you of that fact every waking moment.

Okay guys, if two of my favorite posters are going down the Brohm rabbit hole, I suppose I must in all good conscience follow (just to keep them out of trouble;))...

I do curse you two though because you've forced me to do a little research into the steaming pile of manure that is that pseudo football program in W Laf (and even just a little of that sort of thing and it's difficult to get the smell out of your nose for weeks)..,:eek:

Turns out I may have uncovered a deep staff conspiracy up there...: Given the way they've lost their first two thru mind boggling stupid personal fouls ({even for them}), and the fact that Brohms staff has, at last count, at least 5 guys (counting the Dir. of Ftbll Ops), who played or coached at Louisville it's clear that his staff was built to coach "the ville" not pu...

So..., say you want to weasel out of your buyout sooner rather than later..., you have your agent gain an "understanding" with the new Lou gents that this seasons pu results should be ignored as just an aberration within your overall body of work (after all it is pu) and find a way to go 1-11 (nobody will buy it if you lose to IL) while also organizing a drunken staff party near the end of the season where the entire staff (or at least the portion wanting to go with him to Louisville) gets completely lit, and splits up, one half driving their vehicles up on Daniels lawn and the other up on Bobinskies...; dropping trou and taking a team purdue (in the interest of lawn fertilization study).

If that won't get you fired "for cause" as a staff, I'd hate to think what it might take...;) Louisville immediately snaps them up (minutes after unceremoniously dumping BP) and the golden boys will have at long last returned ... :D All wrapped up without a pesky buyout...

Somebody ought to tell his recruits: if they want to play for Brohm the smart move would be to commit to Louisville...;):D

Or..., they might just really be that bad a team...:D

We'll cover the nepotism angle in our next installment..:cool:

Last edited:
I've always been of the opinion that what's bad for Purdue is good for IU and vice-versa. There are limited #s of D-1 caliber players in this state and region, not enough for both of us to get an adequate number. After OSU and Michigan pick off who they want, we benefit when none or few of the rest matriculate to W. Laffy. History has proven that generally only one of us can be bowl-worthy in the same season.

Add to the fact that PUke fans are generally overbearing and obsessed with beating IU, I find the vast majority of them insufferable when they have success in either football or basketball. If you have Broilees as co-workers or family members you understand. IU can dominate them for years and the first time they come out ahead they act like they own you.

While I don't outwardly revel in their failure in their presence, I am inwardly overjoyed that they will at least stfu in the interim. Because God knows that when their team is better, they remind you of that fact every waking moment.
And the "IU sucks" chants, when they're playing other teams, is beyond bizarre, making it even easier to detest them.

Someone (pistol???) is over on their board just giving them hell on the "missouri -7.5" thread. Pretty embarrassing.

And the "IU sucks" chants, when they're playing other teams, is beyond bizarre, making it even easier to detest them.
I actually think that's awesome. It might be the only thing about Purdue fans that I like. I actually followed a girl to Purdue and was mercilessly ridiculed and radicalized by their obsession, and at that time, dominance of Indiana. I despise Purdue football with every fiber of my being. I hope they lose every game 1,740 to zero. It freaks me out when I see some posters say, "I hope both teams are 7-4 so it means something." I want it to mean something because Purdue is breaking Prairie View A&M's consecutive loss record.

I know it's not healthy or moral to hate, but it's really fun. All this explains why the team's lack of effort and Tom Allen's lack of a postgame meltdown were so disappointing to me.

Have a feelin

Mizzou & BC at home
@illinoi & @Minnesota
Iowa @ home

Right, they have very little chance to get to 6 wins after losing to EMU, imo anyway. They aren't that bad of a team, they could easily be 2-0 in all honesty, but for a B1G West team their schedule is brutal. Even though all 3 non-conference games are at home, none are easy.

I actually think that's awesome. It might be the only thing about Purdue fans that I like. I actually followed a girl to Purdue and was mercilessly ridiculed and radicalized by their obsession, and at that time, dominance of Indiana. I despise Purdue football with every fiber of my being. I hope they lose every game 1,740 to zero. It freaks me out when I see some posters say, "I hope both teams are 7-4 so it means something." I want it to mean something because Purdue is breaking Prairie View A&M's consecutive loss record.

I know it's not healthy or moral to hate, but it's really fun. All this explains why the team's lack of effort and Tom Allen's lack of a postgame meltdown were so disappointing to me.
I think all of us feel that way deep down at some part of our fandom, the only think is that I like seeing the conference as a whole do well, but not as much as I'd like to see us dominate Purdue for the next several...centuries.

I just want IU to beat them like a drum!

The bucket game will still be a tough game even if they are eliminated. However looking at their free board, I see a lot of the same arguments that we have here when things are bad and how to fix said problems. Their conclusions are our conclusions many times. Fandom loves to point and laugh but in reality we've executed and they haven't at crucial times. That's really the biggest difference and such is the way things go sometimes in life. One team will seize the opportunity while the other one keeps shooting itself in the foot so to speak.

Last year IU had some key injuries and then couldn't get out of it's own way or buy a turnover cuz the bounce went the other way. This season, other than solid OL and QB play, we've gotten the bounces. Purdue's issues are they can't get out of their own play than their OL and QB is suspect.

I've long sense believed that to win regularly in college football you have to have solid OL and QB play and then be mentally tough and get the bounces in close games. So far IU has done that and Purdue just hasn't.

The arguments that Brohm is being hurt because it's still Hazzel's players is really a dumb one. He won with them last season. The problem is their OL isn't very good and this is year 2 so he's had time to recruit and fix that and their QB's are okay but not world beaters and again he's had time to fix that also. The thing Purdue did last year they didn't really do this season and that was land grad guys. They went younger and it's bit them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT