ADVERTISEMENT

Proposed Indy Eleven soccer stadium looks fantastic.

They need to incorporate a relegation system.

You have to pay to play in the big time.

Teams ought not rest on their laurels. The NBA could use this system too. Keep the same draft system, but while you are rebuilding, you don't get to play with the big boys.

Nothing firm. They're in NASL, which sees itself as a direct competitor to

MLS, who, at this time, has de-facto first league status. So they may not even want to join the MLS, as they have to give up some ownership rights to fit into the single entity structure and would be under much greater restrictions to their roster build.

If it's something that they want, it's probably 2020 before they can make a move. Sacramento is making a strong play to be the next team in, and Atlanta and Beckham's possible Miami club are the next two in after NYCFC and Orlando City.

South of LOS would work...

a bunch of abandoned property there, plenty of parking all around.

Hard to do that w/ the STH base what it is

Who in their right mind would pay first rate prices for a second tier product?

Hijack: Did you see Figo is going to challenge Blatter as head of FIFA?...

that would be great.

I don't know much about Figo's plans, but a pile of dog chit would be better then Blatter.

Figo

True....

but I didn't want it to turn into a "you're an idiot if you don't love soccer" thread.

Risk / reward.

why do you think it barely works? Soccer is taking off.

MSL doesn't have a strangle hold on the market like NFL / NBA / MLB. The reward for over-taking MSL could be huge.

Like asking why Facebook when MySpace already exists. Or why Google search when AskJeeves or WebCrawler and Yahoo! exist?

I'm not sure there's anyone here who makes that argument.

Some people don't like the sport, and that's fine. I think part of that is just that many in the US didn't grow up with it as an option. Baseball is accepted for what it is because we all have memories of playing Little League and watching major league players hit it out of the park as kids.

But the sport is definitely growing among young people in the US (fastest growing sport among youth in the nation, and more popular than baseball with the under 25 crowd), and it's a great move for the future of sports in the city of Indianapolis to put a premium on it before it gets really big. (That is, if you believe that big time sports encourage the growth of a city, which Indianapolis clearly does with Lucas Oil and Banker's Life.)

The decline of the Euro is going to lead to some big time players moving to the US, so expect further growth of the sport.

I don't think that "doomed" is accurate. Lucas Oil cost ten times what than this stadium will, and it doesn't host as many events per year. You can absolutely make the argument that the Luke brings in more money to downtown, and would be right on that. But in terms of breaking even on the initial input cost, it's probably just about as likely.

Point is - at that point, it's not a "soccer is dumb" argument - it's a "public financing of sports stadiums is dumb" thread. Which, in my view, is a more appropriate and reasonable argument.

There's also an argument that the NASL is better for soccer in the US

than MLS is. MLS lacks total transparency as a league in how their rosters are built and how their teams are financed. The league honestly is a total joke when it comes to being open and honest with their fans (and players), and openly make up rules as they go along.

MLS is bigger because they got the buy-in of the Hunts and Bob Kraft pretty early on in the process. There's more resources within ownership groups (although all teams are technically owned by the MLS), and they have a better TV contract than NASL does.

But the NASL is structured in a fashion that is much closer to what soccer in the rest of the world looks like, and honestly, the rise of a strong NASL would be better for American soccer as a whole.

So MLS absolutely needs a strong challenger, and the rise of a big team in Indianapolis (when paired with the New York Cosmos) would be really great for the league.

(That might be a bit too insider baseball though for the purposes of this discussion.)

I did.

(Not to reply to every post in this thread, but this is a good topic.)

Figo is running on a "change" and "cleaning up corruption" platform, it looks like. That'd be good, but I think FIFA (much like the NCAA) is beyond saving at this point. It's a dirty organization run by corrupt people.

Maybe, though, Figo's the kind of guy who can get started with a clean-up process. I totally agree with your point that it can't get much worse than Blatter, but at least we know for a fact that he's horribly corrupt.

Would Indy support it at the price point they need to price it at?

I'm sure people love soccer. But they'll love it less when decent seats are $75 a pop.

I'm not sure Indy is ready for that. Especially when the average MLS ticket is under $30.

This post was edited on 1/28 3:30 PM by Bligedy

I cant decide which way to take it

the appropriately named Pole Setters could work for strippers, drivers, volleyball players

and then you've got Pole Sitters, which could be the bench players warming up in their skimpy uniforms highlighting camel toe and pokies

and of course you've got Pool Sitters, for the MILFs and teenage babysitters, some of which have removed their top for a more even tan.

That's a question to ask 10 years from now.

It's still in growth mode here - we won't see average tickets rise that far for a while.

And average MLS ticket price depends heavily on the market - in New York, your cheapest tickets are around $30, but you see most in the 40-60 range. You do see cheap tickets in Columbus, though, for sure.

And it's always going to depend on success of the club. I could have bought Knicks - Magic tickets this past week for $30 a piece.

DING DING DING

Single entity and allowing the NFL owners (who are mostly involved with new MLS franchises these days) to control the future of the worlds game in our country is bad for the game.

IMHO

didn't intend my thoughts and opinion was to be taken as facts. Thanks for the reply. We are all wiser now.

BTW, I was just playing devils advocate of your argument that Indy Indians name is worse than Indy Eleven

Well you need some kind of an idea.....

as you are committing ticket revenue to pay your debt service.

Re: Due, I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Feeling's mutual, O. Thanks. Always love reading your posts.

There are only about three or four posters on this site who have such a defined voice that I can tell who it is based just on reading it - you, MTIOF, and Blinking Lights come to mind immediately.

(Now that I think about it, that may not be quite the compliment I meant when I started typing that. My mistake.)

Weird day at work and ongoing family sickness - so my sarcasm meter is 100% broken today.

This post was edited on 1/28 4:12 PM by Oxford Collapse

Definitely true. Here's an infographic that might help.

infographic6.jpg

It's a different way to sell public financing of a stadium, for sure.

It's more reasonable, in my view, than the fleecing taxpayers got for Lucas Oil, though - those figures were . $82 million though seems a bit low for a brand new stadium downtown, even with only 18K capacity. I'd be surprised if the final figure is that low when all's said and done.

So I can't tell you that taxpayers aren't getting fleeced for some money here (they are in just about every public financing situation), but it's definitely a better plan than what was in place for Lucas Oil. And it'll get used a lot more often than the Luke does.

Fair enough.

I certainly didn't intend to be a dick about it, for sure.

And I hear you on playing Devil's Advocate - I'm honestly negative on any use of Native American symbols and signs to represent US sports teams not affiliated with a tribe, so that's where my thoughts on the Indy Indians name come from.

This post was edited on 1/28 4:16 PM by Oxford Collapse

I can't begin to tell you how honored I am

to be compared to Blinking Lights.

It's good to see all of my hard work is finally beginning to pay off!!!

MTIOTF can't hang with the likes of me.

Not shocked in the least that you're the one making that argument.

smile.r191677.gif

And you're 100% right, too, in my view.

Everything I've typed came from that.....

Taxes and 10% revenue for 50 events is where my issue lies. Ticket prices would have to go through the roof to pay for this thing. Selling out 16 games at $20 a ticket won't get you there.

I don't think Indy will support a soccer team at a $40 price point. $40 is what the building would need to average per ticket over 50 events in order to pay the debt

Lucas Oil hosted the Super Bowl and Final Four

That is the only reason a city is "justified" in building a new stadium and fleecing the taxpayers.

The Fire built a stadium in Bridgeport and they don't sell out in a metro area of nearly 10 million people, but they do get close to capacity for Jimmy Buffett concerts.

I like the "Pub to Pitch" concept

This article from 2011 says it was around 84K at that time.

I'm sure it is a little higher over the past 4 years.

This post was edited on 1/28 8:49 PM by IU Meathead

article

Americans only want to pay attention to the best.............

and the current business model in MLS doesn't allow for that to happen.

NASL only needs a few solid clubs to really push the envelope and I hope Indy 11 are ready to continue with that fight joining the NY Cosmos and the new ownership group in Ft. Lauderdale.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT