ADVERTISEMENT

Projection: Indiana-Tennessee Gator Bowl

daddyhoosier

Junior
Aug 31, 2019
iufb.net
I want to preface this by saying I don’t claim to be an expert on the Bowl Selection process or all the nuance of the tie-ins. I haven’t done a Bowl projection until now because there are so many variables and possible outcomes in play that it seems like an exercise in futility. Now that only the Conference Championship games remain we can begin to make some educated guesses.

There could be some surprises this Championship Week, who knows, but here’s how I think thinks could shake out.

CFB Playoff -
Fiesta -- LSU-Oklahoma
Peach -- Ohio State-Clemson

New Year's Six:
Rose Bowl -- Wisconsin-Utah
Orange Bowl -- Florida-Notre Dame
Sugar Bowl -- Georgia-Baylor
Cotton Bowl -- Alabama-Memphis

Big Ten Tie-Ins
Citrus -- Iowa-Virginia
Outback -- Minnesota-Auburn
Holiday -- Michigan-Oregon
Gator -- Penn State-Tennessee
Music City -- Indiana-Kentucky

This is just a projection but the Music City Bowl is played in Nashville, TN on December 30th.

https://iufb.wordpress.com/2019/12/03/projection-indiana-tennessee-gator-bowl/

Last edited:
I think all of us on this board who live and die with Indiana football, would be ecstatic over that scenario. Speaking for myself, I certainly would be!

I'd rather play Tennessee in Nashville because I can be at that downtown stadium in about 80-90 miles from my driveway as opposed to Jacksonville. However, I ain't complaining.

Does anyone know which bowl games are preferred by the players (assuming they are not in the playoffs of course)?
Are some bowls better weather, better gifts, entertainment, etc?

I want to preface this by saying I don’t claim to be an expert on the Bowl Selection process or all the nuance of the tie-ins. I haven’t done a Bowl projection until now because there are so many variables and possible outcomes in play that it seems like an exercise in futility. Now that only the Conference Championship games remain we can begin to make some educated guesses.

There could be some surprises this Championship Week, who knows, but here’s how I think thinks could shake out.

CFB Playoff - Ohio St, LSU, Clemson, Oklahoma

New Year's Six:
Sugar Bowl -- Florida-Baylor
Fiesta Bowl -- Penn State-Notre Dame
Peach Bowl -- Georgia-Oregon

Big Ten Tie-Ins
Citrus -- Iowa-Virginia
Holiday -- Michigan-USC
Gator -- Indiana-Tennessee

This is just a projection but the Gator Bowl is played in Jacksonville, FL on January 2nd.

Makes me cringe every time I see Psu listed in a NY6 after having that game taken from IU.

New Year's Six:

Big Ten Tie-Ins
Citrus -- Iowa-Virginia
Holiday -- Michigan-USC

This is just a projection but the Gator Bowl is played in Jacksonville, FL on January 2nd.

The last time we played Tennessee, I was there in Atlanta watching Dave Schnell and the boys under Coach Mallory.

The toothless Clampetts came out of the backwoods and descended upon the city in their orange overalls. They were everywhere. But, they were nice enough, compared to Kentucky fans.

They showed up in full force. There was orange everywhere. It felt like downtown Atlanta had been transplanted by Gatlinburg.

images

I swear this is the kid from “Deliverance.”

Reactions: UncleMark

New Year's Six:

Big Ten Tie-Ins
Citrus -- Iowa-Virginia
Holiday -- Michigan-USC

The problem with this scenario is the Peach and Fiesta are serving as CFB playoff semi’s this year , I believe. You left out the Orange Bowl which if a Big Ten team makes, we lose the Citrus Bowl tie in. The way I see it , Iowa might be taking it in the chops or PSU/Minny need to make the Cotton Bowl. But I don’t pretend to have a great understanding of how all the politicking works.

JohnsyRick is correct......the original post has 14 teams going to 6 bowls. The bottom line is that for IU to go to the Gator Bowl, OSU, Penn State AND Wisconsin all need to be in the NewYear's6. Ohio State will be in the playoff, Wisconsin likely to the Rose. The question is Penn State....if they go to NY6, then IU will get to Gator. Otherwise, likely to Nashville.

Reactions: Chriselli
The problem with this scenario is the Peach and Fiesta are serving as CFB playoff semi’s this year , I believe. You left out the Orange Bowl which if a Big Ten team makes, we lose the Citrus Bowl tie in. The way I see it , Iowa might be taking it in the chops or PSU/Minny need to make the Cotton Bowl. But I don’t pretend to have a great understanding of how all the politicking works.

Also worth noting...
  • Sugar Bowl will take the top SEC team not in the CFP. Probably Georgia in that slot, though Bama could land there as well. I do agree with the original poster's projection of four SEC teams landing in the NY6.
  • Orange Bowl has to take a full ACC member. There's a good chance they have to reach outside of the CFP Top 25 to claim Virginia.

I'm really interested to see how the CFP poll plays out tonight. Idle teams tend to keep their spot from the almost-final to the final poll. Conference championship game winners and losers move around. If PSU is in the top 10, there's a good chance they will get a NY6 game. I also want to see where they slot Wisconsin. Championship game losers typically drop 3-5 slots in the final poll. If Wisconsin is no higher than 7, they may be out of the NY6 picture if they lose to OSU.

I think Georgia has to beat LSU and get in the playoff to push us into the Music City Bowl. There will be no SEC team then.

JohnsyRick is correct......the original post has 14 teams going to 6 bowls. The bottom line is that for IU to go to the Gator Bowl, OSU, Penn State AND Wisconsin all need to be in the NewYear's6. Ohio State will be in the playoff, Wisconsin likely to the Rose. The question is Penn State....if they go to NY6, then IU will get to Gator. Otherwise, likely to Nashville.

Welp, I had that all jacked up. One of the sites I was working from had it wrong...who knew the internet can't always be trusted lol.

Anyway I have Florida ahead of Penn State in the New Year's Six, which moves Indiana down one...so updated is Indiana-Kentucky in the Music City Bowl!

Although I guess it could be Florida and Penn State and leave Notre Dame out...which you can definitely make an argument for. Maybe my original Indiana-Tennessee Gator Bowl was right even though I got there wrong lolol.

Last edited:
I don’t think Nashville will take a Big 10 team this year,my guess is Pinstripe.
If we had gotten that ninth win I think the Gator or another Florida Bowl would have been a strong possibility.
Really needed to beat a very mediocre Michigan St team.

The last time we played Tennessee, I was there in Atlanta watching Dave Schnell and the boys under Coach Mallory.

The toothless Clampetts came out of the backwoods and descended upon the city in their orange overalls. They were everywhere. But, they were nice enough, compared to Kentucky fans.

They showed up in full force. There was orange everywhere. It felt like downtown Atlanta had been transplanted by Gatlinburg.

images

What I remember is Reggie Cobb. He kept us from winning the Peach Bowl.

images

Wow I don’t think you met real Tennessee fans if they were nice lol. When they come to Gainesville they are rude and arrogant. The band marches around outside the Swamp playing Rocky Top. I stopped in a rest area to use bathroom and was my Gator attire and vol fan tells me your gators are in for a long day and the Gators fell behind 21-0 . They got after Peyton Manning scored like 42 straight ended winning going away wanted to find that so bad.No luck though

I think Georgia has to beat LSU and get in the playoff to push us into the Music City Bowl. There will be no SEC team then.

If Georgia beats LSU, both will probably be in the CFP, pushing out Utah or Oklahoma. Either way, both will be in a NY6 game.

If the SEC doesn't wind up sending a team to the Music City or Gator Bowl, that slot wouldn't be backfilled by the Big 10. The Big 10 would fill all of its conference partnerships. If for some reason the B10 only got their Rose Bowl slot, the conference still has eight bowl slots to fill with eight teams ... unless there are some back room dealings they're not talking about.

New Year's Six:

I think the ACC has to send a full member school to the Orange Bowl and not the part-timer Notre Dame. I thought ND could take that slot, but everything I've read says they can't (unless they get the at-large spot in the Orange Bowl vs an ACC team).

FWIW, the NY6 tie-ins are:
  • Rose Bowl - highest-rated non-CFP Big 10 team vs highest-rated non-CFP Pac-12 team
  • Sugar Bowl - highest-rated non-CFP SEC team vs highest-rated non-CFP Big 12 team
  • Orange Bowl - highest-rated non-CFP ACC team vs highest-rated non-CFP Big 10/SEC team or Notre Dame not already assigned to a NY6 game
  • Cotton Bowl - at-large vs at-large - one slot likely goes to highest-rated non-Power 5 team (most likely Memphis this year)

If Georgia beats LSU, both will probably be in the CFP, pushing out Utah or Oklahoma. Either way, both will be in a NY6 game.

If the SEC doesn't wind up sending a team to the Music City or Gator Bowl, that slot wouldn't be backfilled by the Big 10. The Big 10 would fill all of its conference partnerships. If for some reason the B10 only got their Rose Bowl slot, the conference still has eight bowl slots to fill with eight teams ... unless there are some back room dealings they're not talking about.

I think the ACC has to send a full member school to the Orange Bowl and not the part-timer Notre Dame. I thought ND could take that slot, but everything I've read says they can't (unless they get the at-large spot in the Orange Bowl vs an ACC team).

• Rose Bowl - highest-rated non-CFP Big 10 team vs highest-rated non-CFP Pac-12 team
  • Sugar Bowl - highest-rated non-CFP SEC team vs highest-rated non-CFP Big 12 team
  • Orange Bowl - highest-rated non-CFP ACC team vs highest-rated non-CFP Big 10/SEC team or Notre Dame not already assigned to a NY6 game
  • Cotton Bowl - at-large vs at-large - one slot likely goes to highest-rated non-Power 5 team (most likely Memphis this year)
Thanks for the bit on the Orange Bowl. So the update then would be:

CFB Playoff -
Fiesta -- LSU-Oklahoma

New Year's Six:
Rose -- Wisconsin-Utah
Orange -- Alabama-Virginia
Cotton Bowl -- Florida-Memphis

Big Ten Tie-Ins
Citrus -- Iowa-Virginia Tech
Holiday -- Michigan-USC
Pinstripe -- Michigan Sate-Pittsburgh
Red Box -- Illinois-Washington

CFB Playoff -
Fiesta -- LSU-Oklahoma

New Year's Six:

Big Ten Tie-Ins
Citrus -- Iowa-Virginia
Holiday -- Michigan-Oregon

This is just a projection but the Music City Bowl is played in Nashville, TN on December 30th.

If Oregon beats Utah....no big deal other than to Utah fans
If Baylor beats Oklahoma.....no big deal other than to Baylor and OK fans
If Georgia beats LSU.....chaos!! LSU still gets in. And 2 loss Georgia as well, I think, over OK or Utah, because how can you have LSU and not the SEC champ who beat them? A lot of people would be PISSED if that were to occur.......odds of Georgia beating LSU? 25%? If that happens, I think we're definitely in an 8 team set-up next year. I don't like it, but at least each P5 winning team would get in.

I think all of us on this board who live and die with Indiana football, would be ecstatic over that scenario. Speaking for myself, I certainly would be!

I'd rather play Tennessee in Nashville because I can be at that downtown stadium in about 80-90 miles from my driveway as opposed to Jacksonville. However, I ain't complaining.

I don't want us to play UK. I'd be very interested, but I don't want to have another IU-PU like ranting and raving session.

I like the results this year, but a lot of the games have been Hell to watch, for one reason or another,,,,I'd put OSU, MSU, MD, MSU, Michigan, PSU & Purdue on that list.

Give me a nice cushy big name that's down on it's luck....like a Virginia Tech or a Florida State. No lose situation.

Reactions: midwolfe

images

I was there as well..........as you say, a huge Tenn turn-out......but a good showing of IU fans as well....maybe 8000 or so?

This process is all about back room deals.

No doubt in my mine the Music City would love IU vs. Kentucky. Outside of getting Tennessee which is unrealistic. There has been too much smoke there. There rep was coming to IU games even though they were not supposed to get a BIG team.

If Georgia beats LSU.....chaos!! LSU still gets in. And 2 loss Georgia as well, I think, over OK or Utah, because how can you have LSU and not the SEC champ who beat them? A lot of people would be PISSED if that were to occur.......odds of Georgia beating LSU? 25%? If that happens, I think we're definitely in an 8 team set-up next year. I don't like it, but at least each P5 winning team would get in.

Georgia is currently 11-1. So a 12-1 Georgia team would definitely make it as would an 12-1 LSU team, most likely. My guess is the final order, 1-4, would be OSU, Clemson, Georgia, LSU.

Georgia is currently 11-1. So a 12-1 Georgia team would definitely make it as would an 12-1 LSU team, most likely. My guess is the final order, 1-4, would be OSU, Clemson, Georgia, LSU.

Yes, you're right about Georgia's record....not sure why I thought they had 2 losses. I think you're also right about the order.

So.....I don't think 1 one loss GA team getting in would immediately result in an 8 team playoff. Most fans (including me) probably think Georgia is a little better than OK or Utah. There would be a lot of grumbling, and I think we'd see it go to 8 in 2-3 years. If GA loses I think it's status quo until we get a major controversy......bigger than any disputes we've had to date....involving one of the 4-5 biggest programs.

Yes music city reps, gator reps, outback reps and citrus reps were at our last 3-4 games

Trust me, I still cringe every time I hear Rocky Top. And when I came back to IU for grad school in the 90's I had a section mate in Baker's Jazz Band that went to UT who would bust it out at the slightest provocation.

images

Reactions: muubell

CFB Playoff -
Fiesta -- LSU-Oklahoma

New Year's Six:
Rose -- Wisconsin-Utah

Big Ten Tie-Ins
Citrus -- Iowa-Virginia Tech
Holiday -- Michigan-USC
Pinstripe -- Michigan Sate-Pittsburgh
Red Box -- Illinois-Washington
I thought it was either/or Gator/Music City for Big Ten...it couldn't be both.

Sadly I think it's going to be Pinstripe again for us. I was really hoping to get a bowl we hadn't been to but we have too many teams above us for Citrus, Gator or Holiday and I don't think Music City is going to take a B1G team this year. It would suck because we got Pinstripe at 6-6 and it doesn't seem like we're getting a reward for 8-4.

Reactions: goody1986
I just remember what a rush it was running onto the field for pregame, the crowd was huge.
Was that the game where our buses got lost on the way to the game and we literally had to run from the bus to the field or was that the Auburn Peach Bowl?

I thought it was either/or Gator/Music City for Big Ten...it couldn't be both.

This is correct.

By letter of the agreement, Big 10 should be in the Gator Bowl this year. It's the 6th year of 6-year agreements for all the bowls except Pinstripe, which was signed as an 8-year agreement for some reason. The Music City/Gator arrangement was three B10 teams in each over the agreement. B10 went to Gator 2014-2015 and Music City 2016-2018. The Music City reps have been pretty public in their interest in Indiana, noting there's 'flexibility' in the arrangement.

One weird twist is this is the B10's last year in the Gator Bowl until at least after 2025. The conference re-upped with the Music City to send a B10 team every year. They didn't with Gator Bowl. The either/or arrangement for the Big 10 2020-2025 is the Belk Bowl (Charlotte, NC) or Las Vegas Bowl. No idea if there are sour grapes with the Gator Bowl or not on either side that might influence this year.

Was that the game where our buses got lost on the way to the game and we literally had to run from the bus to the field or was that the Auburn Peach Bowl?

If it was, those brain cells are dead. I somehow managed to smoke up before pregame because I was high as a kite running out onto the field (my usual pregame ritual...LOL!) so I'm thinking we didn't get lost on the way there. What I remember most about that trip is that me and some of my buddies had driven to Atlanta from Bloomington and we had a little falling out on New Years Eve so I had to ride the Red Heifer bus back to Bloomington. Worst. Trip. Ever.

CFB Playoff -
Fiesta -- LSU-Oklahoma

New Year's Six:
Rose -- Wisconsin-Utah
The College Football Playoff rankings that came out today eliminated Alabama from Orange Bowl consideration.

The Orange Bowl is contracted to take the highest ranked team in the CFP rankings from the Big Ten/SEC/ND.

Those rankings have Alabama 12th, behind 8 - Wisconsin, 9 - Florida, 10 - Penn State, and 11 - Auburn.

If the Orange Bowl takes a Big Ten team (PSU), then the Big Ten's Citrus Bowl spot goes to the ACC as it did in 2016 and 2017.

It's going to be the Pinstripe Bowl again unless PSU gets the at-large for the Cotton Bowl over Alabama/Auburn, which would jump us to the Gator Bowl.

Well yes. Let’s hope IU gets a bowl so YOU can travel easier! Not cool

The College Football Playoff rankings that came out today eliminated Alabama from Orange Bowl consideration.

The Orange Bowl is contracted to take the highest ranked team in the CFP rankings from the Big Ten/SEC/ND.

Those rankings have Alabama 12th, behind 8 - Wisconsin, 9 - Florida, 10 - Penn State, and 11 - Auburn.

If the Orange Bowl takes a Big Ten team (PSU), then the Big Ten's Citrus Bowl spot goes to the ACC as it did in 2016 and 2017.

It's going to be the Pinstripe Bowl again unless PSU gets the at-large for the Cotton Bowl over Alabama/Auburn, which would jump us to the Gator Bowl.

Yeah with Alabama down at 12 and in light of the updated rankings that would put Florida in the Orange and Penn State in the Cotton (at least that's the way I see it).

Michigan State people seem to think they are going to the Pinstripe Bowl.They're even saying they are playing Pitt.

I'm sticking with my guns...I keep going back and forth between Gator and Music City. If Penn State is in the Cotton Bowl I'm leaning toward Gator.

Reactions: TominDallas
I saw several projections that came out after the cfp rankings that had us in the Gator.
I don't believe IU has ever played in a bowl game in Florida. This would be great for the families of all our roster guys from Florida - - and not bad for the rest of us, either. I'm certain we'd travel very well to this game.

This seems likely from what I read. What a downer.

My gut says Pinstripe again which is better than Detroit and Santa Clara.
I don’t think Nashville will take a B10 team and our attendance will hurt us with Jacksonville.
We have a lot of alumni in Florida but so does every other conference school.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT