ADVERTISEMENT

Progress being made in Chicago

More relaxed prosecution and sentencing may work or be beneficial for drug charges, but it doesn't seem like a good idea related to other offenses:

This list is growing rapidly

Agree that relaxed prosecution and sentencing is not always being a good approach to violent crime. But that doesn't really address recidivism...unless the solution one is suggesting is that all violent crime should be a mandatory life sentence with no chance for parole. The conversation I was interested in was what to do when sentences end, which is a different part of the process than prosecution and sentencing.

And I believe the lion's share of it stems from a lack of money and opportunity and guidance. Guns and cops and prosecutors are the consequence
Mm66, agree with you, lack of guidance leads to people who are unemployable. Not being employed leads to lack of money.

Being idle and lacking money leads to joining others in similar circumstances. Gangs, drugs, guns, and crime become a way of life.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Indiana, as well as many other states, has established sentencing guidelines to assist judges when handing down punishments. The guidelines are set by the state legislature dominated by Pubs in Indiana.

Having said that, local prosecutors set the level of the offense being prosecuted. It could be argued that some prosecutors are more lenient than others in establishing the level of the crime committed. Some argue minorities and the lesser affluent who usually have public defenders get the short end of the stick by the local prosecuting system.

Let us face it, all this varies from state to state and locality. Generalizing by saying it all depends on which party is elected gets us nowhere.

I live in NC Indiana (Kosc Co to be exact). My better half and I took our daughter to CHI last weekend for some culture (we did the Van Gogh Immersion Experience at the Germania Center downtown and the Frida Kahlo exhibit at the College of DuPage in the afternoon). We hit downtown around 9:30 am and walked around for HOURS afterward, had lunch and then walked around again...no gangs of wild dogs taking over the city, no bullet proof vests, no bunkers, no menacing folks etc. just a lot of people walking their dogs, jogging, riding bikes and tourists enjoying all that is CHI in the summer. The most lawlessness we experienced was a young lady finishing her hand-rolled and tossing it to the ground like it was a cigarette butt. That made me chuckle!!!

Upon my return to Mayberry, a number of folks questioned our judgement, wondering why we would subject our 10 year old daughter to a war zone...the questions they asked were astounding (e.g. were you able to find a place to eat given that everything is in shambles, boarded up etc.?). DAFUK planet are you from?

Y'all have been scared out of minds, played...you've allowed your minds to be controlled. Get bloody help!! Go see for yourself...might do you some good.
At what time did you stop walking around?

Reactions: DANC
Agree that relaxed prosecution and sentencing is not always being a good approach to violent crime. But that doesn't really address recidivism...unless the solution one is suggesting is that all violent crime should be a mandatory life sentence with no chance for parole. The conversation I was interested in was what to do when sentences end, which is a different part of the process than prosecution and sentencing.

I'd be open to hearing some ideas on how to reduce recidivism and also prevent repeat violent offenses.

Indiana, as well as many other states, has established sentencing guidelines to assist judges when handing down punishments. The guidelines are set by the state legislature dominated by Pubs in Indiana.

Having said that, local prosecutors set the level of the offense being prosecuted. It could be argued that some prosecutors are more lenient than others in establishing the level of the crime committed. Some argue minorities and the lesser affluent who usually have public defenders get the short end of the stick by the local prosecuting system.

Let us face it, all this varies from state to state and locality. Generalizing by saying it all depends on which party is elected gets us nowhere.

Your second paragraph may be true in bigger counties. In smaller counties, the local PDs often have closer connections with the prosecutors than do higher paid local or non-local attorneys who do a lesser volume of work in that particular court.

Also, multi-time urban offenders in an urban setting often do much better on a specific charge than a first or second time offender in a smaller county. They benefit from volume of cases and relative lack of jail space.

Two Simeon classmates killed hours apart in separate incidents. Broad daylight.
Not to worry - it's the South side.

Two Simeon classmates killed hours apart in separate incidents. Broad daylight.

IIRC that's where Ben Wilson went to school when he was killed as the consensus #1 player in the country.

Reactions: DANC
Obama Presidential library breaks ground today. Jackson Park is a good choice. North side would have been bad optics, but still not far West enough to that he'll have to worry about the riff raff.

Does Chicago?
over 3,000 shot and over 500 murdered this year in chicago. that's pretty insane. the little city proper of saint louis, (300,000 people) has already had over 150 murdered. we don't even bother to count shootings. i read the nation had the largest one year increase in homicides ever

• Wow
Reactions: 76-1 and DANC
over 3,000 shot and over 500 murdered this year in chicago. that's pretty insane. the little city proper of saint louis, (300,000 people) has already had over 150 murdered. we don't even bother to count shootings. i read the nation had the largest one year increase in homicides ever
Exactly.
225 every weekend would equal over 9,000.
Not even close.

Bullshit. ulrey(the poster/bot...I don't know the person) is not capable of complex literary thought. And 225 was an oddly specific number.
Yeah I can't speak to whomever ulrey is. Just the right's cosmic hickory.

But that's beside the point. Crime is bad. In Chicago and all over. And much of it is preventable. We have a combo of dumb politicians/policies and politicians/people who don't care because not much of it's in my neighborhood and well it's blacks killing blacks.

Sad.

Yeah I can't speak to whomever ulrey is. Just the right's cosmic hickory.

But that's beside the point. Crime is bad. In Chicago and all over. And much of it is preventable. We have a combo of dumb politicians/policies and politicians/people who don't care because not much of it's in my neighborhood and well it's blacks killing blacks.

Sad.
One of the saddest stories I've ever heard was when a black guy told me about his daughter who had been killed by her mother's (his ex-wife) boyfriend.

He said the guy got out early and was out of jail. I asked him how that can happen, if he was in jail for killing her (I don't know the specifics).

That's sad enough. But then the guy said "They don't care - it's just black on black crime".

That physically hurt my heart. How, in America, do we just accept this type of situation? It's not like it's a new thing. But isn't it time we start to fix this?

It's not whitey who is keeping blacks down - it's the system that just doesn't care about them and would rather throw money at something that money will never be able to fix.

The welfare system and the disincentives to marriage have destroyed the moral fabric our this society. That's what's really sad.

Reactions: 76-1

This evening I waddled on home from the gym to find my apartment smack dab in the middle of 8 square blocks of police tape. Had to ask the nice officers to please let me through the active crime scene so I could enter my apartment.

Only a few blocks down the road from you as well @DrHoops

I ain’t no puss, but this shit ain’t cool.

Last edited:

This evening I waddled on home from the gym to find my apartment smack dab in the middle of 8 square blocks of police tape. Had to ask the nice officers to please let me through the active crime scene so I could enter my apartment.

You must live in the black section of town.

@DrHoops says things are fine everywhere else.

You must live in the black section of town.

@DrHoops says things are fine everywhere else.
Maybe it’s not nice enough for Hoops taste but I think it’s pretty nice.

I make that walk home from the gym almost every weekday, didn’t think I had to worry about getting clipped by a couple idiots shooting at each other in cars Mad Max style.

Unreal.

What goes wrong in your life

giphy.gif

You think it’s cool to celebrate the violence occurring in American cities so you can pat yourself on the back?

That’s uniquely GOP. Pathetic. Clown
Scary stuff Vid. I could’ve been hit! And the Bears are leaving!

Not good for Lori long legs. Waiting for our Eric Adams.

Scary stuff Vid. I could’ve been hit! And the Bears are leaving!

Not good for Lori long legs. Waiting for our Eric Adams.
Agree, the Bears to the burbs is long overdue. Soldier Field is a dump. Aside from the structure itself being worthless, it’s logistically a pain in the ass. I’m a Colts fan so I couldn’t care less. Besides you consider Arlington “leaving”?

Lori and Foxx should be out.

Anyway, this thread is nothing more than a pathetic scoreboard for the “Chicago is like Afghanistan” d-bags. They probably watch the Chicago murder rate more than their own 401k.

The crime situation could obviously be better.

You think it’s cool to celebrate the violence occurring in American cities so you can pat yourself on the back?

That’s uniquely GOP. Pathetic. Clown
You think it's cool to ignore the problem as long as it's caused by Dim policies.

You only call it 'celebrating' when someone points out the obvious.

You're a pathetic little Vidiot and assclown.

Things are looking up.

Meanwhile, back on Planet Earth, Chicago was just measured the 3rd best city in the US and the 13th best city in the World.

And...for the 4th consecutive year, Chicago was named Best Big City in the US by Conde Nast Traveler:

Keep your guns and hunker down in Kokomo.

Maybe it’s not nice enough for Hoops taste but I think it’s pretty nice.

I make that walk home from the gym almost every weekday, didn’t think I had to worry about getting clipped by a couple idiots shooting at each other in cars Mad Max style.

What the hell are you talking about you idiot? I've lived all over this city. My girlfriend of 3 years lives in Ukrainian Village. I go to Pilsen West Town, Little Village all the time. Even Bronzeville.

Do I hang out in Garfield Park, Austin and Englewood at nighttime? No. You don't either and you're lying if you say otherwise.

ADVERTISEMENT