ADVERTISEMENT

Process of elimination

IUNorth

Hall of Famer
Oct 25, 2002
Donovan...just signed lucrative 4 year deal with Bulls. He’s out.

Stevens...I know some are parsing his words, but he said he’s out...pretty directly answering a question and conversation about him going to IU.

Beilein...I just can’t imagine they’ll take him on after his misstep in Cleveland. He and the school will have to answer questions about that forever. Doubt they choose to bring that in, in today’s world.

Matta...his health issues. Seems he’d be coaching somewhere already if he were healthy. I’m the ever pessimist when it comes to timing and things lining up for IU basketball. He’d be a home run if he’s healthy and hungry. I just find it unlikely that he’s now all of a sudden ready, and IU happens to have the opening.

Beard...Hard family ties to west Texas? Huge contract already at a school that is ok with his average B12 finishes. Why leave?

Alford...said he doesn’t want it. His team is done for the year, no strategy in such a turn down. He probably means it at this point.

I think this leaves a pool of, Drew, Altman, Boynton, Moser, Musselman, Fife, and Oats. And probably someone else that hasn’t been mentioned. I personally wouldn’t have ponied up 10mill, no matter what I was worth...for any of these guys. So hopefully I’m wrong about a few of the top guys.

Reactions: Beorik
No one really knows what is going on behind the scenes. It's all speculation. Even the candidates that say they are not a candidate for the job can be swayed by $$$. Plus, they aren't going to come out and say they are candidates. No one ever does, yet coaches always take new jobs every year. We all need to just take a deep breath, step back, and let the process play out.

Not sure that the field is narrowing. It’s just shifting lower. And it may continue to do so as the people that we think are real candidates are eliminated. This will likely take some time.

Reactions: The Mooreman
I think we will try to get Oats. He's young, they play an insane uptempo style on offense, and he has ties to the Midwest. Their adjusted efficiency this year was higher than anything Miller did anywhere. Their defense this year was better than anything the defense-obsessed Miller has ever produced.

Yes, Alabama saw this coming and extended him. But Indiana apparently has donors willing to drop 8 figures on coaching changes, and Oats probably doesn't have FU money yet, so a higher salary with guarantees might get him.

Plus, he signed an extension with Buffalo and then left for Alabama 13 days later, so we know he isn't afraid to bail for a better deal.

Reactions: IndyAuthor
No one really knows what is going on behind the scenes. It's all speculation. Even the candidates that say they are not a candidate for the job can be swayed by $$$. Plus, they aren't going to come out and say they are candidates. No one ever does, yet coaches always take new jobs every year. We all need to just take a deep breath, step back, and let the process play out.

For sure. The way the buyout, and evident funding for the new coach, has went down is what’s confusing me. I just can’t wrap my head around a small group of people, possibly as small as 2 people, forking over that kind of money with the return being someone from the bottom list? Yet I do believe the top people are all likely out...

Musselman has a very intriguing BIO. With the main red flag being how many times he’s jumped from job to job. Seems like he’d be more than willing to jump back to the NBA if that opportunity arose. Good news is it likely wouldn’t unless he showed big levels of success in college.

As you wrote. It’s all happening behind the scenes. Could be anyone at this point. Fun to speculate though.

Interesting that Dakich and Doyel brought up Bennett. It was said that he turned us down when we hired Crean because we had just fired his sister and also didn't want a pressure cooker job. Time does heal wounds and maybe he now knows he has the street cred he needs to keep our fan base under control if he doesn't win immediately. Seems very unlikely to me but you never know.

Interesting that Dakich and Doyel brought up Bennett. It was said that he turned us down when we hired Crean because we had just fired his sister and also didn't want a pressure cooker job. Time does heal wounds and maybe he now knows he has the street cred he needs to keep our fan base under control if he doesn't win immediately. Seems very unlikely to me but you never know.
Nothing is impossible, but I would add Bennett to the same category as Brad Stevens. Pipe dream at best.

Nothing is impossible, but I would add Bennett to the same category as Brad Stevens. Pipe dream at best.

Probably but you don't know unless you ask. Maybe he is tired of hearing about Duke and UNC and not being at a blueblood. He also won his NT with an Indiana kid.

Probably but you don't know unless you ask. Maybe he is tired of hearing about Duke and UNC and not being at a blueblood. He also won his NT with an Indiana kid.
Don't get me wrong - I would be ecstatic if Tony Bennett decided to leave Virginia for Indiana. I just don't see it happening, especially with what we know about his feelings toward IU.

Nate Oats is no longer on the board.

Drew, Beard, Musselman are my top 3 guesses in terms of likelihood. With the first two making more sense to me than Musselman, with how the buyout went. I could see either of those first two being attractive enough to open peoples check books.

Of course, I know nothing. It could be anyone. But with the public info at hand, those three make the most sense.

Don't get me wrong - I would be ecstatic if Tony Bennett decided to leave Virginia for Indiana. I just don't see it happening, especially with what we know about his feelings toward IU.

We have a new AD, and will have a new President. Who knows if he still holds a grudge against the university? Maybe he does. RMK came back, after vowing he never would.

Not sure that the field is narrowing. It’s just shifting lower. And it may continue to do so as the people that we think are real candidates are eliminated. This will likely take some time.
Sounds about like our last hiring process. I believe it was accepted as scientific fact of the day’s knowledge that Lil’ Arch wasn’t our number one choice, having been spurned by several “can’t misses”.

Reactions: .Gerdis
It’s all speculation. It may even be speculation for insiders, that have heard directly from candidates.

Nothing said should be taken literally.

If it's like our last few hiring processes there will be lots of smokescreens. Also don't be surprised if the hire comes out of left field.

Well, let's see then....Musselman has beaten Oats head to head, and Beard's TTU sent the high flying Buffalo team packing.
So I guess Oats is out, yes?

Stevens...I know some are parsing his words, but he said he’s out...pretty directly answering a question and conversation about him going to IU.

Beilein...I just can’t imagine they’ll take him on after his misstep in Cleveland. He and the school will have to answer questions about that forever. Doubt they choose to bring that in, in today’s world.

Matta...his health issues. Seems he’d be coaching somewhere already if he were healthy. I’m the ever pessimist when it comes to timing and things lining up for IU basketball. He’d be a home run if he’s healthy and hungry. I just find it unlikely that he’s now all of a sudden ready, and IU happens to have the opening.

Beard...Hard family ties to west Texas? Huge contract already at a school that is ok with his average B12 finishes. Why leave?

Alford...said he doesn’t want it. His team is done for the year, no strategy in such a turn down. He probably means it at this point.

I think this leaves a pool of, Drew, Altman, Boynton, Moser, Musselman, Fife, and Oats. And probably someone else that hasn’t been mentioned. I personally wouldn’t have ponied up 10mill, no matter what I was worth...for any of these guys. So hopefully I’m wrong about a few of the top guys.

No coach who still has an active team is going to publicly say they are interested in the job.

Unless they emphatically say, no way in hell, read my lips I swear on the lives of my children than....any coach currently leading a team is going to hint that they have a foot out the door.

Hell we crucify players that we think have one foot out the door.

Bill Friedor got destroyed for taking the ASU job and was fired immediately going into the tournament.

As Bo said 'a Michigan man is going to coach a Michigan team!!!!!' or something to that effect.

Reactions: outlawyer
No coach who still has an active team is going to publicly say they are interested in the job.

Unless they emphatically say, no way in hell, read my lips I swear on the lives of my children than....any coach currently leading a team is going to hint that they have a foot out the door.

Hell we crucify players that we think have one foot out the door.

Bill Friedor got destroyed for taking the ASU job and was fired immediately going into the tournament.

As Bo said 'a Michigan man is going to coach a Michigan team!!!!!' or something to that effect.

Mike Davis said his dream job was in the NBA in the middle of our FF run I believe.

If we can’t get them, can we bring back Miller and save the $10 million?

Yeah..
I'm not in love with that list

I think we will try to get Oats. He's young, they play an insane uptempo style on offense, and he has ties to the Midwest. Their adjusted efficiency this year was higher than anything Miller did anywhere. Their defense this year was better than anything the defense-obsessed Miller has ever produced.

Yes, Alabama saw this coming and extended him. But Indiana apparently has donors willing to drop 8 figures on coaching changes, and Oats probably doesn't have FU money yet, so a higher salary with guarantees might get him.

Plus, he signed an extension with Buffalo and then left for Alabama 13 days later, so we know he isn't afraid to bail for a better deal.
Oats has a $14MM+ buyout. Bama has more money than Indiana and he will get a new deal between now and the end of the tournament. He is at 2.4MM and they will take him to 4-5MM with a higher buyout. Also, much less pressure to win at Bama.

I get that we should knock on every door and my hope is that is being done.

With that said, we have to think realistically because those other coaches (as of today) are just not all that likely. Possible, yes, but not likely. That was my one and only concern of letting Archie go, I think if we had rode out one more year, its likely a guy like Stevens, could be more realistic if their current job performances remained (or went downhill). So saving $10 mil would've been the gamble in hopes of luring a bigger fish.

Anyways, what about Mike Woodson? I haven't seen his name mentioned much but he is an IU Alumni with NBA head coaching experience. I get the hire lacks the same excitement but I could see a coach like him kind of come from left field. If he could add a Cheaney and Mike Lewis or whoever to his staff and just beat this IU alumni horse to d3ath. Maybe that rallies the troops?

It's been reported that Matta is healthy and wants to get back into coaching. He was approached to replace Marshall at Wichita State, but doesn't want to live in Wichita. He currently lives in Indy, and has a daughter who attends Butler. I wouldn't be so quick to rule him out.

Beard has moved for college jobs to Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, and Arkansas. So it's not like leaving Texas is something that might not be considered.

Oats has a $14MM+ buyout. Bama has more money than Indiana and he will get a new deal between now and the end of the tournament. He is at 2.4MM and they will take him to 4-5MM with a higher buyout. Also, much less pressure to win at Bama.
He just got a new deal last month. How many extensions are they going to give him in one year?

Anyhow, he's been quoted now as saying he's not interested, so we'll find someone else, I suppose.

It's been reported that Matta is healthy and wants to get back into coaching. He was approached to replace Marshall at Wichita State, but doesn't want to live in Wichita. He currently lives in Indy, and has a daughter who attends Butler. I wouldn't be so quick to rule him out.

Beard has moved for college jobs to Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, and Arkansas. So it's not like leaving Texas is something that might not be considered.
I think all of Beard's moves were before his divorce. He'd be leaving his kids behind this time.

If Matta's healthy, great. I'd be a little surprised if that worked out though.

IDK, if the big time coaches are uncomfortable and rejecting us, maybe we do need to move on to the Fife, Boynton, Moser line of thinking. Not a huge 7 year deal, with massive buyout that ties us down ... earn it, if you want more. I have no problem with that. Just don't rob us and suck on top of that and suck 10M out. Arch is a WAY bigger scum than Sampson for taking that money, to basically promise to try not to suck too bad. Sampson's "illegal" text's probably cost us a dime per, AM need an 1/8th of a million dollar incentive to basically agree to ... or write 500 times "I will not try to schedule the shittiest schedule in the B10". But they still let him get away with 1 and placed no limitation on how exactly shitty it could be if it just didn't include one of the 50 worst teams in the country. The prick took the money! Good riddance!

I think all of Beard's moves were before his divorce. He'd be leaving his kids behind this time.

Good point re Beard. It looks like his youngest daughter is about 12.
Ugh...

Matta's last four years in the Big 10: 10-8 (5th), 11-7 (6th), 11-7 (7th), 7-11 (T-10th).
IU can't do better than that?

Reactions: IUgradman
Matta's last four years in the Big 10: 10-8 (5th), 11-7 (6th), 11-7 (7th), 7-11 (T-10th).
IU can't do better than that?
I think those pushing Matta think his back was messing up the last 4, and that we'd be getting a better version. I'm skeptical, but hey, someone has to do the job.

I never saw Stevens as realistic, and I wouldn't have fired Miller to hire anyone but Oats. So, I think this is going to go badly...but I will be happy to be wrong if I am.

Wrong. Try again.

ADVERTISEMENT