ADVERTISEMENT

Privacy

stollcpa

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Mar 26, 2010
So I’ve noticed more and more that soon after conversations, ads start showing up on my Facebook feed.

For instance this weekend, I complained about my mattress causing a stiff neck and sore back. I only discussed verbally with another person. Within hours I am getting ads on my FB feed touting mattresses to assist with my soreness.

Does anyone have an explanation other than FB listens to our conversations whether FB is on or off? Does this bother you folks like it does me? Is the only answer to get rid of our cell phones? Can we start large class action lawsuit?

Reactions: meridian
So I’ve noticed more and more that soon after conversations, ads start showing up on my Facebook feed.

For instance this weekend, I complained about my mattress causing a stiff neck and sore back. I only discussed verbally with another person. Within hours I am getting ads on my FB feed touting mattresses to assist with my soreness.

Does anyone have an explanation other than FB listens to our conversations whether FB is on or off? Does this bother you folks like it does me? Is the only answer to get rid of our cell phones? Can we start large class action lawsuit?
So after sex do you get ads for the little blue pills? Yea, that kinda creeps me out too. Do you put tape over camera's on laptops. I never have but wonder if I should.

The US government buying Pegasus to spy on citizens phone's is worrisome.

We bought a Helix Midnight after each of us doing this online test:

It's fine . . . we're both sleeping better than on that 12 year old Simmons that had depressions where each of us slept . . . you could've planted corn in them rows.

PS -

I don't do Twitter
Don't have a Facebook page
Closed my Linked-In profile
In a social media rage.

You probably recently googled mattresses.

I can't imagine any way that a phone conversation would be picked up by Facebook and trigger ads. Like Goat said, you had to have done something online related to mattresses to have FB get their hooks into you on that subject.

Reactions: Crayfish57
I can't imagine any way that a phone conversation would be picked up by Facebook and trigger ads. Like Goat said, you had to have done something online related to mattresses to have FB get their hooks into you on that subject.
He wasn't asking about your imagination or how much you would try to offer cover for big brother. I think we are all, already onto those who apply cover.

Reactions: DANC

Nice theory, but my bride mentioned one evening that she was going to buy a new Kitchen-Aid mixer. I said, "okay." I didn't look up anything to do with counter-top mixers. Never had in the past, didn't then and still haven't. Within 45 minutes I get an ad on Facebook on my iPad from Williams-Sonoma for Kitchen-Aid mixers.

I then said, "mention buying some 4-inch heels, fishnet stockings and garter belts . . . "

I have shit show up that i have not yet searched. Alexa listens as well.

Not to mention the chip that was inserted when i go the Covid shots.

Dude, delete Facebook from your life. Thank me later
I don’t live on FB. I have a page for my business. I also have personal one. Like the Cooler I check it out a few times during the day.

Nice theory, but my bride mentioned one evening that she was going to buy a new Kitchen-Aid mixer. I said, "okay." I didn't look up anything to do with counter-top mixers. Never had in the past, didn't then and still haven't. Within 45 minutes I get an ad on Facebook on my iPad from Williams-Sonoma for Kitchen-Aid mixers.

I then said, "mention buying some 4-inch heels, fishnet stockings and garter belts . . . "
Alexa, tell the gubmint what I want

I looked through my Google search history. No searches for mattresses in the period this happened. Doesn’t seem to me it’s possible either but many friends and clients think it’s happened.

Actually more concerning to me is I went through my Google search history after reading you’re response. There are three searches today at 4pm. I was playing golf at the time. I wasn’t searching Google.

• Wow
Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
I looked through my Google search history. No searches for mattresses in the period this happened. Doesn’t seem to me it’s possible either but many friends and clients think it’s happened.

Actually more concerning to me is I went through my Google search history after reading you’re response. There are three searches today at 4pm. I was playing golf at the time. I wasn’t searching Google.

Twilight Zone music - do do do do; do do do do . . . .

Could just be a coincidence like how Covid came from a bat that just happened to be where the lab was at as well

So after sex do you get ads for the little blue pills? Yea, that kinda creeps me out too. Do you put tape over camera's on laptops. I never have but wonder if I should.
I don't put tape over it but I do disable it.

This happened to me and it freaked me out.

Down at our place in Florida, I drove to the local CVS. In the parking lot was a Maserati - nice car. I admired it for a while, while sitting in my car. Then drove away.

I did not do any internet searches or looked at any advertisements online for any type of car.

Later that day, an ad for the local Maserati dealership in Ft. Myers shows up on my FB feed.

Did the internet on my phone pick up some signal from the Maserati? That's the only way it could have happened.

It's not like random Maserati ads show up in my FB account.

Weird.

This happened to me and it freaked me out.

Down at our place in Florida, I drove to the local CVS. In the parking lot was a Maserati - nice car. I admired it for a while, while sitting in my car. Then drove away.

I did not do any internet searches or looked at any advertisements online for any type of car.

Later that day, an ad for the local Maserati dealership in Ft. Myers shows up on my FB feed.

Did the internet on my phone pick up some signal from the Maserati? That's the only way it could have happened.

It's not like random Maserati ads show up in my FB account.

Weird.
Was as this pre shot or post? Before a cpl idiots post I am joking

After I read Mark’s post I went to my Google search history to see if I had searched for mattresses.
Also, with FB, you don't have to search for anything. Just clicking does the work for you. For example, if you happen to notice a mattress ad out of the many ads on FB one day (maybe it stuck out to you because you had mattresses on the mind), and you clicked on it, all of a sudden, FB will be flooding you with mattress-related content for months. There are so many ways you can get caught up in it. Every time you click, scroll, hover, like, respond, anything at all online, you have to assume there is a computer somewhere that noticed you did that and tried to draw a connection between your action and the endless database of targeted advertising at its disposal.

Do you have a smartphone with a voice assistant turned on? Such as siri for your iphone? Or ok Google, on an android?

It's listening....

No way that happened with OK Google. In that case, he would have had a conversation about mattresses recorded and suddenly been flooded with advertising for baby strollers. Or ball bearings. Or ice cream. Anything but mattresses.

GettyImages-175417397-1-300x199.jpg

Reactions: IUINSB and RBB89
Not naïve at all ... you're making decisions without knowing any facts. My degree is in computer science so I do know a little about them.
You’re a conservative. You know nothing.

ADVERTISEMENT