ADVERTISEMENT

Pretty safe to say Langford has been a bust considering the hype

VanHoosier

Hall of Famer
Oct 23, 2002
Can't hit the big shot, turns the ball over... he killed his team at the end today. Sick of this team.

IU needs to run a different offense. A triangle motion inside with Morgan, Romeo and either Miller or Davis. Have those three constantly cutting and screening for each other so they get stuff moving to the basket. IU is not equipped to run weave or pick and roll offense. This is so painful to watch. Can someone with some offensive creativity please be hired on the coaching staff.

Reactions: iulb and Indigo1983
Langford played hard but not smart. A lot of these guys don't seem to have a feel for the game.

I wouldn't go bust..
But not near the player who the national media and our nutty fan base said he'd be...
His none emotion to game makes it hard to really love the guy..
He'll be gone ..And pretty much forgotten..
No impact on the program to me..

might want to check the box score...

And moreso - see whos holding the clipboard...

He is FAR from a bust. You can't blame him for the unrealistic Eric Gordon / Jason Kidd level of hype that people were heaping on him. That was not his doing.

Reactions: minneman
"A lot of these guys don't seem to have a feel for the game."

Like Justin Smith!!!!!!
Imagine that another Smith is at fault post. Don't you idiots get tired of posting the same shit. How many layups were missed? How many wide open threes were missed? The defense was good and bad at times.

Reactions: echs86
I'm shocked by how slow he is, I percieve it's effort but now I'm wondering if he's just naturally slow. Muhammad left him in the dirt.

I'm also amazed at how weak his handle is and how weak he is in general physically and mentally.

People do forget that he's just 19 so hopefully for him when his body matures he won't get bullied as much.

I saw it the first damn scrimmage when Hunter played him tough and he was stymied (1 for 3 with a 40 foot air ball) but was told that it didn't matter, he's the greatest of all time, blah blah blah.

He is playing harder which is all I ask of him (and be a good team mate) but he was atrocious the last three minutes after his last 3. Played hero ball again (down 2 with 10 seconds and he takes a terrible step back forced three, instead of driving which he's outstanding) and couldn't finish the game.

I am no b-ball expert but he hit 2 big shots at the end to help us tie the game. He looked like our best player today if you ask me. People seem to forget that he is a freshman and came to IU with some very high expectations in a league where not many freshmen are relied on to be their teams go to player. If you think he is a bust so be it but I think that is on you and not #0.

Huge bust. I can think of 3-4 freshman just in BIG that are much more developed. The big kid from Purdue is even better
Just stupid. He plays on a team that had Edwards who commands most of the attention. This team has Langford and Morgan.

I'm shocked by how slow he is, I percieve it's effort but now I'm wondering if he's just naturally slow. Muhammad left him in the dirt.

I'm also amazed at how weak his handle is and how weak he is in general physically and mentally.

People do forget that he's just 19 so hopefully for him when his body matures he won't get bullied as much.

I saw it the first damn scrimmage when Hunter played him tough and he was stymied (1 for 3 with a 40 foot air ball) but was told that it didn't matter, he's the greatest of all time, blah blah blah.

He is playing harder which is all I ask of him (and be a good team mate) but he was atrocious the last three minutes after his last 3. Played hero ball again and couldn't finish the game.

You've lost your mind.

Reactions: hoosier48
Romeo is another Noah Vonleh. He is a good player but he is on a team and with a coach that just could not figure out how to maximize him. I also think he has some people around him that could have helped sour the locker room. His videographer was complaining about touches earlier in the year. Then you had Smith's Dad and his comments.

For whatever reason, this is a team that has not meshed well and I think the way some players are handled by the coaching staff has pit a wedge in the team.

Can't hit the big shot, turns the ball over... he killed his team at the end today. Sick of this team.

That’s total BS more like a coach that can’t develop plays for him. Everything Romeo gets he gets himself. Don’t blame Romeo

Combination of both Romeo and team around him IMHO.

Biggest problem this team has is how disconnected they are. We could lose Romeo, Green and Smith and be a better TEAM next year. This squad is not on the same page.

IU has nobody to space the court so teams pack the paint which takes away romeo”s game.
Nor do they do simple things besides shooting to create space. Green handed the ball off to Romeo near the top of the arc and then moved 4 feet away from him - instead of fading to the corner. Green's man was in the lane Romeo could have drove to the basket thru had Green just done a simple, fundamental thing.

Imagine that another Smith is at fault post. Don't you idiots get tired of posting the same shit. How many layups were missed? How many wide open threes were missed? The defense was good and bad at times.

If he would change his ways and start playing aggressively, and defend aggressively, start using his head during the game.... maybe.... just maybe.... we would quit posting our Sh*t!!!!!

Offense, free throws, unforced errors
Offense - maybe. This team tends to stand too often and/or not move the ball.

Free throws? Arch can't shoot them for the guys. Technique, maybe.

Unforced errors? How is Archie creating those by his coaching?

Serious question: what about Archie's coaching is bad? Please be specific.
He doesn’t seem to hold players accountable for poor decision making. Continually failing to grasp the offensive and defensive principles, as well as the need to play with great effort at all times, doesn’t have any consequences for too many players.

As for Romeo, he has a far more limited game than I thought he’d have. Opposing teams don’t respect his mid and long range game, and they realize that they can bump him at the rim and he’ll often struggle to finish after contact. Defensively, he doesn’t like that end of the floor very much, nor is he particularly skilled there.

Reactions: wchew200
We can revisit this next year, when we are still terrible and Romeo is no longer on the team. Maybe then you will notice how bad the coach is.

How about we start with last year when we went 9-9 in the conference.

Again sub out Johnson and Newkirk for Langford and Phinesse...and we're worse right now.

Last year's team improved as the season went. This year were devolving.

Most likely it's a chemistry thing because Newkirk, McRoberts and Freddy are like not good and Johnson is unspectacular.

Reactions: wchew200
He doesn’t seem to hold players accountable for poor decision making. Continually failing to grasp the offensive and defensive principles, as well as the need to play with great effort at all times, doesn’t have any consequences for too many players.

As for Romeo, he has a far more limited game than I thought he’d have. Opposing teams don’t respect his mid and long range game, and they realize that they can bump him at the rim and he’ll often struggle to finish after contact. Defensively, he doesn’t like that end of the floor very much, nor is he particularly skilled there.
Will certainly agree guys aren't held accountable - especially Smith.

But if you bench his ass, who do you put it? As dumb as he can play, he does bring an athletic ability we don't have off the bench. And if Smith gets benched and we lose because his sub can't give IU what they need, will people be ok with that?

I would. But not sure many in Hoosier Nation could tolerate it.

That’s total BS more like a coach that can’t develop plays for him. Everything Romeo gets he gets himself. Don’t blame Romeo

Are you suggesting he is moving without the ball and not getting fed?

IU needs to run a different offense. A triangle motion inside with Morgan, Romeo and either Miller or Davis. Have those three constantly cutting and screening for each other so they get stuff moving to the basket. IU is not equipped to run weave or pick and roll offense. This is so painful to watch. Can someone with some offensive creativity please be hired on the coaching staff.
There is NO offense what don’t you people see.

I am no b-ball expert but he hit 2 big shots at the end to help us tie the game. He looked like our best player today if you ask me. People seem to forget that he is a freshman and came to IU with some very high expectations in a league where not many freshmen are relied on to be their teams go to player. If you think he is a bust so be it but I think that is on you and not #0.
Also missed two wide open layups.

Watch the tape of the season. Pretend it isn’t IU and be objective. Wow that squad is fundamentally unsound.
I try to be as objective as I can. I re-watch games just to look for certain things.

Do I think Archie could do a better job? Absolutely - but I see guys that show very little court awareness (Smith / Green) and a totally disconnected team.

Pater mentioned yesterday a comparison between this team and the 76-77 Hoosiers. Many of the same issues exist today as then.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT