ADVERTISEMENT

Presser Redux Reflux

daddyhoosier

Junior
Aug 31, 2019
iufb.net
I just watched the 'Idaho Week' Press Conference and listed to CTA, Sheridan and Warren (in which not a single question was asked about Idaho). (I know it was a day and a half ago but I just got around to it.)

CTA confirmed that Luke Haggard was slated to start but that an undisclosed injury keep him from playing. The guy on TV seemed to think had Haggard played he would have been at left tackle and Caleb Jones would have slid over to right tackle. Surely that's not right? I know Matthew Beford's not perfect but Jones over Bedford? I guess we'll see.

I was pretty impressed with the way Sheridan handled the questions which were I wouldn't say hostile but they were all asking basically why was the offense awful, why was Penix bad and what do you need to do better. I thought Sheridan really owned Saturday and stuck up for his quarterback.

It must be really annoying to have to talk to the press who are often trying to make diagnoses that are above their paygrade. Just an example I think the color commentator on TV said Reese Taylor gambled and gave up outside contain on that first rushing TD for Iowa and of course everybody and their mother was talking about that after the game as if they were the one to notice it. One of the pundits brought it up to Warren yesterday but Warren said Indiana wasn't lined up correctly at the snap (confirming what I had suspected in a previous post). Not defending what Reese did but it should have never come to that and perhaps Reese did what he did because he knew we were outnumbered and thought it was the only shot we had to make a play. (When you're not schematically sound you end up with scenarios like this where someone has to gamble.)

Another press guy told Warren he thought the defense looked 'a step behind'. Warren didn't disagree with him but I don't really agree with that assessment. If they were a step behind Iowa would have had 450 to 500 yards and more than 20 points offensively. Was that guy just talking out his butt because he was lazy and unprepared or did he really think that was the case?

So I thought the coaches did a good job owning Saturday, answering dumb questions from the press and saying the right thing. I really hope the crowd is good Saturday it would be a shame if only 35,000 showed up after the last two seasons the Hoosiers have had.

The step behind comment could be about the stunts that just came up short getting to the QB when last season we seem to get there on a regular basis. To give coach Warren his due he adjusted the second half and ran more stunts getting some heat on the QB.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT