ADVERTISEMENT

Predictions

6 wins has to be the floor for this year. Otherwise, you lose any positive momentum with recruiting. Have to find a way to claw our way to bowl eligibility. Other programs are doing it with new coaches. There were 10 teams in the conference that went to bowls last year. Have to figure out how to be consistently one of the 10.

Keep in mind that in the golden Bill Mallory years, Michigan and Ohio State, on a relative basis, sucked.

I understand what you’re saying. But if some of the conference heavyweights have outstanding seasons and the Hoosiers take them to the wire in well played games and still come out with a loss I don’t think it can be held against them. However, I have my fingers crossed that Michigan and Ohio State are going to have less than anticipated seasons and I optimistically think the Hoosiers will perform well against them.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Keep in mind that in the golden Bill Mallory years, Michigan and Ohio State, on a relative basis, sucked.

I understand what you’re saying. But if some of the conference heavyweights have outstanding seasons and the Hoosiers take them to the wire in well played games and still come out with a loss I don’t think it can be held against them. However, I have my fingers crossed that Michigan and Ohio State are going to have less than anticipated seasons and I optimistically think the Hoosiers will perform well against them.

Michigan or OSU went to 1/2 of the Rose Bowls during the Mallory 13 year era. Other teams like Iowa and Wisconsin gained ground during that time, true.

At some point, have to pick up a win against them. And, it’s the same that holds true for most other programs in the Big Ten: they beat those schools when they are down a bit.

Michigan or OSU went to 1/2 of the Rose Bowls during the Mallory 13 year era. Other teams like Iowa and Wisconsin gained ground during that time, true.

At some point, have to pick up a win against them. And, it’s the same that holds true for most other programs in the Big Ten: they beat those schools when they are down a bit.
1987 OSU/UM both lost 4 games...UM 8-4/OSU 6-4-1. When IU fans talk about Mals success against the big 2 that’s the only year that it really applies. He only won 3 games against them

1987 OSU/UM both lost 4 games...UM 8-4/OSU 6-4-1. When IU fans talk about Mals success against the big 2 that’s the only year that it really applies. He only won 3 games against them

My point was that when other teams went to the Rose Bowl, Michigan and OSU didn’t have elite seasons. They had a couple years where they were very good but didn’t make the Rose Bowl because some team like Iowa or Wisconsin had elite years.

True - Mal “only” beat them 3 times but.....shit.....a win is a win. Nobody else in our modern history has done it. You did forget the 1990 tie against OSU. Not a win or a loss. 27-27.

My point was that when other teams went to the Rose Bowl, Michigan and OSU didn’t have elite seasons. They had a couple years where they were very good but didn’t make the Rose Bowl because some team like Iowa or Wisconsin had elite years.

True - Mal “only” beat them 3 times but.....shit.....a win is a win. Nobody else in our modern history has done it. You did forget the 1990 tie against OSU. Not a win or a loss. 27-27.
Those wins did come at a time that was unusual for the Big Ten. Who would have predicted how many losses both UM and OSU would have during those years. It does point out how close it is to be a champion and a team that is mediocre. It gives IU fans hope that there is not a lot of players needed to add for IU to be a very good B1G team.

Reactions: 76-1
ADVERTISEMENT