ADVERTISEMENT

Predictions

One slight caveat...I used to subscribe to the same logic you have put forward here...but after having arguable one of the top 5 olines in the country just a few years ago, the aforementioned pipeline of best Olinemen did not beat a path to IU. Maybe had coaching changes not happened, that might have occurred...and it might not have. Many have mentioned the talent falloff after the graduation of a few key players from that line.

I submit it will take sustained excellence along the line for X number of years before any top Olineman looking at schools will consider IU their 1st choice as a destination.

Bottom line: there just aren't that many of them.

The “best” offensive line recruits are also very cognizant of the entire package. By that I mean: they don’t just flock to a school that has great offensive production but terrible defense. They are going where all the pieces are in place. Offense, defense and special teams. They want the team to do well and make the post season. They aren’t going to line up around the block to play for a high flying offense whose defensive counterparts are like a block of Swiss cheese. If Wilson had started to put together bowl seasons by year 3 or 4 and was cranking out 8 wins, you would have seen 4-star linemen signing on.

Anywhere from 4-8 to 7-5, but probably 5-7. Strengths at running back and wideout on offense and tackle and safety, including hybrid, on defense. Weaknesses or uncertainty at tight end, quarterback, offensive line, d end, linebacker and corner on defense, and at place kicker on special teams. A young team with more uncertainties than upside, so the margin for error is too thin for a winning season or bowl.
You are indeed probably right. But you know, it could be 7-5...that's what I love about college sports...anything can happen. Welcome...

Reactions: ESalum86
The “best” offensive line recruits are also very cognizant of the entire package. By that I mean: they don’t just flock to a school that has great offensive production but terrible defense. They are going where all the pieces are in place. Offense, defense and special teams. They want the team to do well and make the post season. They aren’t going to line up around the block to play for a high flying offense whose defensive counterparts are like a block of Swiss cheese. If Wilson had started to put together bowl seasons by year 3 or 4 and was cranking out 8 wins, you would have seen 4-star linemen signing on.
I think you just summed up why I didn't want to lose either Wilson or Allen or Frey or any of our coaches...at least until we had a bit of a run...or something positive. The change happened before the program had a chance to get any benefit of the bunch of them together. Dang just a season or two more and oh what might have been.

Oh well...such are sports.

I think you just summed up why I didn't want to lose either Wilson or Allen or Frey or any of our coaches...at least until we had a bit of a run...or something positive. The change happened before the program had a chance to get any benefit of the bunch of them together. Dang just a season or two more and oh what might have been.

Oh well...such are sports.

The big mistake was not having someone like Allen at DC to begin with. Wasted several great offenses and a chance to build in recruiting.

The big mistake was not having someone like Allen at DC to begin with. Wasted several great offenses and a chance to build in recruiting.
Agreed. 2013 and 2015 saw Top 15 (nationally) offenses, and 6-7 was the best we could do. 2015 in particular was one big blown opportunity. That team, conservatively, should have won eight including the bowl game against Duke.

Agreed. 2013 and 2015 saw Top 15 (nationally) offenses, and 6-7 was the best we could do. 2015 in particular was one big blown opportunity. That team, conservatively, should have won eight including the bowl game against Duke.
Yes, the 15’ team that we had was realistically an 8 win team talent wise. The issue for me was the defense, which has to be put on the players at the end of the day. I believe that having played for Mallory and Knorr that Knorr was legit. It wasn’t a game plan issue, nor was it a talent issue. It was more so a “Wilson didn’t care to manage the defense” issue. As I’ve noted before, CKW is a good coach and I respect him, but one of the upgrades that you get with CTA is that he strikes me as a guy who “won’t leave any stones unturned”. He will be locked in when it comes to all aspects of the game. He won’t neglect offense as much as Wilson neglected defense. At the end of the day the defense was bad because of the players, and I hesitate to put any blame on a coach, especially one that I respect as much as CKW, but objectively if I hadn’t have played for him, a part of me would’ve put some blame on him. As I’ve noted, it was a simple situation where guys weren’t held accountable on defense, and the standard that he set for offensive players was higher. They essentially knew what they were doing, and many guys who went in during the games to play defense had watched maybe 30 minutes of film on their own during the week? At some point I think he could’ve helped by stepping in and saying, “you won’t play if you don’t know what the hell youre doing”. And that was the difference between 9 wins in 2015 and getting 6 instead. Or in 2013 getting 5 and missing a bowl, when it was probably a 7 win team.

So overall, I respect that many believe Wilson was building a solid foundation, but I think that it’s also optimistic to note that Allen seems diligent. If he had the talent that the 15’ team had, I could realistically see better results. I think that he’s also a solid recruiter based on his 18’ class, so the team should have more talent in the future than what we had, or at least comparable talent. The difference will be that Allen should have ALL units on the team running on all cylinders, which I think can make us all optimistic. A point that often gets overlooked as well that people use against Allen goes something like this: “Allen didn’t make a bowl game, but sense Wilson upgraded recruiting, it’s unacceptable”. I think that’s a false premise. I don’t think those recruiting ratings represent the actual quality of the classes. I think that Wilson upgraded the talent from ‘11-14 and I think that his ‘15-17 classes were less talented. I don’t really focus on the ratings because I was able to see it up close and personal, and we can highlight which players performed the best in their careers. Someone like Jacob Bailey from the 12’ class for example was only a 2*, but was a serviceable player. Some guys rated higher have graded out much worse. So I think that it’s reasonable to conclude that Wilson’s classes tailed off at the end, because we can highlight the phenomenon of multiple guys who came in with higher rankings not performing as well as they need to. I think that with time Allen’s classes will be more like Wilson’s 11-14’ classes, and less like Wilson’s 15-17’ classes. The 18’ class may be the best of all of them, specifically at defensive end.

So in closing, I agree that the big mistake was not having someone like Allen in 13’ and 15’, but part of that was Wilson’s lack of interest in holding defensive players accountable. Clearly we can’t blame Wilson for it all, but there has to be a certain baseline level of involvement. What makes the future bright is that I don’t think Allen will neglect any one unit or aspect of the team, which means we should logically see better results when he replenishes the talent. I’m not saying the roster is devoid of talent now, but I think it’ll be two years before the talent is where it was in 15’ and I think the 18’ class was a HUGE step forward. They should be more talented in 2020 than we were in 2015, and should have a serious contender playing for Big Ten titles if things go on schedule.

Yes, the 15’ team that we had was realistically an 8 win team talent wise. The issue for me was the defense, which has to be put on the players at the end of the day. I believe that having played for Mallory and Knorr that Knorr was legit. It wasn’t a game plan issue, nor was it a talent issue. It was more so a “Wilson didn’t care to manage the defense” issue. As I’ve noted before, CKW is a good coach and I respect him, but one of the upgrades that you get with CTA is that he strikes me as a guy who “won’t leave any stones unturned”. He will be locked in when it comes to all aspects of the game. He won’t neglect offense as much as Wilson neglected defense. At the end of the day the defense was bad because of the players, and I hesitate to put any blame on a coach, especially one that I respect as much as CKW, but objectively if I hadn’t have played for him, a part of me would’ve put some blame on him. As I’ve noted, it was a simple situation where guys weren’t held accountable on defense, and the standard that he set for offensive players was higher. They essentially knew what they were doing, and many guys who went in during the games to play defense had watched maybe 30 minutes of film on their own during the week? At some point I think he could’ve helped by stepping in and saying, “you won’t play if you don’t know what the hell youre doing”. And that was the difference between 9 wins in 2015 and getting 6 instead. Or in 2013 getting 5 and missing a bowl, when it was probably a 7 win team.

So overall, I respect that many believe Wilson was building a solid foundation, but I think that it’s also optimistic to note that Allen seems diligent. If he had the talent that the 15’ team had, I could realistically see better results. I think that he’s also a solid recruiter based on his 18’ class, so the team should have more talent in the future than what we had, or at least comparable talent. The difference will be that Allen should have ALL units on the team running on all cylinders, which I think can make us all optimistic. A point that often gets overlooked as well that people use against Allen goes something like this: “Allen didn’t make a bowl game, but sense Wilson upgraded recruiting, it’s unacceptable”. I think that’s a false premise. I don’t think those recruiting ratings represent the actual quality of the classes. I think that Wilson upgraded the talent from ‘11-14 and I think that his ‘15-17 classes were less talented. I don’t really focus on the ratings because I was able to see it up close and personal, and we can highlight which players performed the best in their careers. Someone like Jacob Bailey from the 12’ class for example was only a 2*, but was a serviceable player. Some guys rated higher have graded out much worse. So I think that it’s reasonable to conclude that Wilson’s classes tailed off at the end, because we can highlight the phenomenon of multiple guys who came in with higher rankings not performing as well as they need to. I think that with time Allen’s classes will be more like Wilson’s 11-14’ classes, and less like Wilson’s 15-17’ classes. The 18’ class may be the best of all of them, specifically at defensive end.

So in closing, I agree that the big mistake was not having someone like Allen in 13’ and 15’, but part of that was Wilson’s lack of interest in holding defensive players accountable. Clearly we can’t blame Wilson for it all, but there has to be a certain baseline level of involvement. What makes the future bright is that I don’t think Allen will neglect any one unit or aspect of the team, which means we should logically see better results when he replenishes the talent. I’m not saying the roster is devoid of talent now, but I think it’ll be two years before the talent is where it was in 15’ and I think the 18’ class was a HUGE step forward. They should be more talented in 2020 than we were in 2015, and should have a serious contender playing for Big Ten titles if things go on schedule.
Simple questions...what was the DC doing while Wilson was ignoring holding defensive players accountable? Which side of the ball did you play on?

Simple questions...what was the DC doing while Wilson was ignoring holding defensive players accountable? Which side of the ball did you play on?
I played on defense, and the DC was similar in that regard of not holding individuals accountable at the end of the day to a level sufficient to compete in division 1 football. That’s why I noted that not all of the blame can be put on Wilson. First and foremost it has to be put on players. And then as you noted, the DC. My main point is that I feel as if Wilson could’ve forced his way towards demanding a higher level of preparation because that would’ve forced the DC to demand more, which would’ve forced players to do more. So I agree that the DC must be questioned, and my main point was that sometimes the head coach can demand more of that DC. Schematically Knorr always had a good gameplan imho so that wasn’t the issue. Allen seems to have demanded more from guys and THAT was the only difference between the 15’ and 16’ defense. I think that with CTA he will have that presence where he forces everyone in the organization to work harder/prepare harder. That’s what I think the key difference is between he and Wilson. I agree that the DC is responsible for the defense, but the man ahead of him can manipulate the situation to get everyone’s butt in gear. That’s what I see from CTA, and I think you’ll see him do that with the offense this year.

I played on defense, and the DC was similar in that regard of not holding individuals accountable at the end of the day to a level sufficient to compete in division 1 football. That’s why I noted that not all of the blame can be put on Wilson. First and foremost it has to be put on players. And then as you noted, the DC. My main point is that I feel as if Wilson could’ve forced his way towards demanding a higher level of preparation because that would’ve forced the DC to demand more, which would’ve forced players to do more. So I agree that the DC must be questioned, and my main point was that sometimes the head coach can demand more of that DC. Schematically Knorr always had a good gameplan imho so that wasn’t the issue. Allen seems to have demanded more from guys and THAT was the only difference between the 15’ and 16’ defense. I think that with CTA he will have that presence where he forces everyone in the organization to work harder/prepare harder. That’s what I think the key difference is between he and Wilson. I agree that the DC is responsible for the defense, but the man ahead of him can manipulate the situation to get everyone’s butt in gear. That’s what I see from CTA, and I think you’ll see him do that with the offense this year.
Thank you for your well considered response. A couple more questions if you don't mind. I am just trying to understand the dynamics under Wilson. First, tangibly, more than just a perception of presence, which is valid too, but what on the ground changes did Allen make upon his arrival the first season he was here as DC? Second, did not the hiring of Allen indicate a movement by Wilson toward bringing about the accountability that you mentioned? Did that require the firing of Wilson to see Allen complete his vision for the defense. Lastly, isn't Allen basically doing the same thing Wilson did with his own Offense by turning it completely over to Debord?

Any insights you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

LOL.

You continually point to a single game, when you've got 10,000 days (27 YEARS) of abject futility and failure.

IU is only P5 program to fail to win one, just one, bowl game in that span... When every other P5 program has won AT LEAST three.

But go ahead and keep pointing to that one game when all YOUR history, tradition, and culture can be summed up into two words:

"IU SUCKS!!!!"

LOL.

Keep Chanting It... Shows the world what you and your pals are really all about.

Now get out of mommy's basement and go look for a job.

LOL.

You continually point to a single game, when you've got 10,000 days (27 YEARS) of abject futility and failure.

IU is only P5 program to fail to win one, just one, bowl game in that span... When every other P5 program has won AT LEAST three.

But go ahead and keep pointing to that one game when all YOUR history, tradition, and culture can be summed up into two words:

"IU SUCKS!!!!"

LOL.

I could live a thousand years and I’ll never care about anything as much as Purdue fans care about IU.

Silly stuff in latest thread additions, and a lot of looking in the rear view mirror.

I'm focused on 2019 season ahead and believe IU has stacked 2 nice recruiting classes in a row with strong talent. Yes there are only like 22 juniors & seniors on this team, but think almost all of them are/will play and contribute. So that means a good chunk of veterans likely STARTING and then the fill in around them players are going to be a lot of RS FR, So & RS SO players with great talent and now experience too.

Add in solid new OC who I think will crush it. DC who thinks like Allen, which frees up Allen to be a better all around HC, motivator and recruiter. Superb RB's, strong first 3 WR's and a QB room with 2 4* QB's in it. OL now all about 315lb. Offense should be back in action this year. And with a more respectable offense that can actually stay on the field for drives to rest the D, I think the D will get back up to it's higher levels that we've seen last few years. Just love the DB talent overall. Think LB potential of still young players is huge. And per DL (like OL, biggest area of uncertainly for me) think we may have some very good DE's who can get to the QB, and think enough beef in DT spots to not get pushed around or wear out early due to better depth.

Too many good things happening (new facilities, coaching stability, better talent, and focused HC) to not see good things happening ahead!

Every year I see mostly 7-5 and 8-4 predictions. I hope this is the year they’re finally right. But if I had to bet I’d say 5-7. Wins over the easy ones: FIU, BSU, Virginia, Rutgers, and Maryland.

Every year I see mostly 7-5 and 8-4 predictions. I hope this is the year they’re finally right. But if I had to bet I’d say 5-7. Wins over the easy ones: FIU, BSU, Virginia, Rutgers, and Maryland.

Well that would have been a good guess last year but no way in hell will it be right this year.

There are probably as many 4-8 predictions every year as there are 8-4 and about as many 5-7 as 7-5. You would expect that there would be more on the optimistic side, this being a fan site and people being hopeful before the start of a new season. Trolls usually want to throw it back in everyone's face though at the end. There is no way to know at this point how good we are going to be or how good the competition is going to be until they strap them on and start playing real games. Even then there are ebbs and flows to the season on both sides. If you get lucky you might catch some teams in a bad stretch, or if you are unlucky you get everyone when they are hot and healthy and you are not. Mostly it should even out but not always. After last season and looking at the schedule I thought 4-8 was the most likely outcome, but changes have been made that make me more optimistic. I would be hopeful of at least 5-7 and would say 7-5 is at least possible and 8-4 is dreamable. If I'm wrong, well life will go on.

Well that would have been a good guess last year but no way in hell will it be right this year.

There are probably as many 4-8 predictions every year as there are 8-4 and about as many 5-7 as 7-5. You would expect that there would be more on the optimistic side, this being a fan site and people being hopeful before the start of a new season. Trolls usually want to throw it back in everyone's face though at the end. There is no way to know at this point how good we are going to be or how good the competition is going to be until they strap them on and start playing real games. Even then there are ebbs and flows to the season on both sides. If you get lucky you might catch some teams in a bad stretch, or if you are unlucky you get everyone when they are hot and healthy and you are not. Mostly it should even out but not always. After last season and looking at the schedule I thought 4-8 was the most likely outcome, but changes have been made that make me more optimistic. I would be hopeful of at least 5-7 and would say 7-5 is at least possible and 8-4 is dreamable. If I'm wrong, well life will go on.

Fans need to believe that there will be a year when everything comes together like it did for the 1968 Rose Bowl team. There have been positive changes this off-season and looking at the experienced gained, last year; is this the season it all comes together? You are right about the ebb and flow of the season which will determine how IU's season goes. Who could have predicted MSU's 3-9 season two years ago or Wisconsin's decline to 7-5 last year. Whether it is a question of how soon Nebraska can turn it around or how NW plays with a new QB it comes down to how each team comes together as the season progresses.

It doesn't hurt anything for some of us to be hopeful this is the season for IUFB because if it isn't we can turn to next year as the year.

Things are happening: new locker room goes live this summer, have 3-4 2020 recruits committed now, new OC who looks to be excellent, and a ton of young players who got experience last year, another spring/summer of weights, and who look ready to contribute in 2019 season.

Believe it's a bowl year this year for sure. Could see the upset win as well: OSU, UM, at home, maybe some chaos at PSU for win on the road. MSU on road win. Then hopefully take care of business with the Northwestern, at MD and yes at Neb who is not back to their elite status yet!

Also think, though love Ramsey's grit, that this could be year Penix lights things up as a starter too.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I think I am as optimistic as anyone on this board. I predicted 7-5 last year and honestly felt it would be better. I was wrong.

I think we have a stronger offense this year. I love the athleticism we're stacking in our defense but know we lost a lot of experience and talent.

I expect a bowl this year. However, I wouldn't be surprised, although I would be disappointed at 5-7. IU is so young this year. I posted before something like 60% of our roster will have at least three years of eligibility (including 2018) when they take the field at FIU in September. The schedule is not as brutal as last year, but it leaves a lot of questions due to our youth.

I'm not thrilled opening on the road with such a young team. Once again, I believe the UVA game is a linchpin to the season. I don't like our schedule the month of October. I wish our bye week was after either the OSU or Iowa game.

I break down our schedule like this:
SHOULD win (3): @ FIU, BSU, @ Rutgers
50/50 games (4): UVA, @Minnesota, Maryland, Purdue
COULD win (4): Michigan St, Iowa, Penn St, Michigan
Long shot (1): Ohio St

If we win the SHOULD win games (which we don't often do) and hold serve at home in the 50/50 games we go bowling. 75% of the COULD win games are at home and I respect but do not fear any of those teams. Steal one or two and we're looking at a special season.

Worst case scenario: our youth comes out cocky and gets beat on the road and UVA punches them in the mouth. We beat BSU and Rutgers but the wheels fall off with a brutal October gauntlet and we never recover. 2-10

Best case scenario: we win solidly (not a blowout) at FIU, beat UVA then pull off an upset over MSU on our way to a 5-0 start. Lose late at OSU but shock the world with back to back home wins. Confidence soars and we row right over Minny (see what I did there) and walk into UM with one loss and catch them looking ahead to OSU. Start slow against Purdue but dominate the second half to finish 11-1.

Put me down for 6-6, but let the record show if we face the crazy injury/weather/schedule bounces we did last year I have no idea how this is going to play out. Let me also say I think in 2019 and 2020 we really start to soar!

I waded through to find my prediction. A bit on the optimistic side for the best case scenario, but I was very close overall.

I honestly believed we would bowl by winning the Bucket at home. I still have nightmares of Ball getting carried 5 yards into the end zone and Brohm playing (successfully) to run out the clock starting in the 3rd quarter.

I WANT THE BUCKET BACK WHERE IT BELONGS!

Until we win "those" games, & you know the ones I'm talking about. Conference games against slightly to significantly better teams at home, & equal to better teams on the road, which annualy makes up about 7 or 8 of our conference schedule--until we win those games, I have to make an honest prediction of 4-8. We should sweep the non-conf., & should beat Rutgers. Other than that, all 8 games look uphill from here. The ones that figure to be winnable, @ Maryland, home to NW, @ Purdue, you might throw in @ Nebraska--we NEVER win those games, even when we're as good them, hell, even when we out play them, we still lose. So, call me crazy, but until I SEE that spell broken, it's irrational to predict otherwise. Every year I hold out hope that "this will FINALLY be the year, finally be the team", but it never is. Don't think for a minute that I don't wanna' be wrong though!!! Go Hoosiers!

Last edited:
Until we win "those" games, & you knows the ones I'm talking about. Conference games against slightly to significantly better teams at home, & equal to better teams on the road, which annualy makes up about 7 or 8 of our conference schedule--until we win those games, I have to make an honest prediction of 4-8. We should sweep the non-conf., & should beat Rutgers. Other than that, all 8 games look uphill from here. The ones that figure to be winnable, @ Maryland, home to NW, @ Purdue, you might throw in @ Nebraska--we NEVER win those games, even when we're as good them, hell, even when we out play them, we still lose. So, call me crazy, but until I SEE that spell broken, it's irrational to predict otherwise. Every year I hold out hope that "this will FINALLY be the year, finally be the team", but it never is. Don't think for a minute that I don't wanna' be wrong though!!! Go Hoosiers!
Interesting that you held out hope in prior years but not this one, when there's now actually legitimate reason for optimism. Is it recruiting that's got you down? Or the new highly regarded OC? Or the two 4-star QBs? Or the 4-star RB flipping from Ohio State to us? Or the fact that we're 12th nationally in returning production? If your opinion is based solely on history, what's the point of following and/or commenting on any of the recent developments, most of which look very positive?

Interesting that you held out hope in prior years but not this one, when there's now actually legitimate reason for optimism. Is it recruiting that's got you down? Or the new highly regarded OC? Or the two 4-star QBs? Or the 4-star RB flipping from Ohio State to us? Or the fact that we're 12th nationally in returning production? If your opinion is based solely on history, what's the point of following and/or commenting on any of the recent developments, most of which look very positive?
I think it may be the schedule.

I'd feel better playing Illinois, or Minnesota than Northwestern/Fitz at the end of the year and at Nebraska who perennially recruits in the top 15-20. Realistically speaking, those are not likely wins, especially after the 8 rounds in the ring with the B1GEast.

Even Locksley at MD, who won the Broyles Award for top assistant while at Alabama, cannot be counted as a win. We beat them with their interim, and currently jobless coach Canada by a field goal in the waning minutes. At home. On the road vs a new coach will be interesting

Penn state's offense will take a step back with McSorely gone, but they still recruit at an elite level and have a very good defense. OSU will be down because they dont have a QB or an elite RB with experience. This will be the best time to knock them off, but you know how those games have gone in the past. Play hard, play close, but talent and superior depth wins out in the end. Then there is a letdown the following game bacause we had our hearts ripped out, leading to a loss to a 50-50 team.

We should be 4-2 entering the last 6 games :

@MD
@Neb
Vs Northwestern
@PSU
vs UM
@PU

It not just about who you play, but when and where you play them. 4 away games and only 2 at home. A tough stretch no matter how you look at it and Allen hasn't won a B1G road game in 2 years (except Illinois and Rutgers).

I'm holding out hope this year, I didn't say I wasn't hoping for success this year. This thread is about predictions, if I "had to bet" on it, type of thing. & it's the same way I've felt..for a long time. I wouldn't bet on it, but of course I'm hoping this is "the year"!

I think it may be the schedule.

I'd feel better playing Illinois, or Minnesota than Northwestern/Fitz at the end of the year and at Nebraska who perennially recruits in the top 15-20. Realistically speaking, those are not likely wins, especially after the 8 rounds in the ring with the B1GEast.

Even Locksley at MD, who won the Broyles Award for top assistant while at Alabama, cannot be counted as a win. We beat them with their interim, and currently jobless coach Canada by a field goal in the waning minutes. At home. On the road vs a new coach will be interesting

Penn state's offense will take a step back with McSorely gone, but they still recruit at an elite level and have a very good defense. OSU will be down because they dont have a QB or an elite RB with experience. This will be the best time to knock them off, but you know how those games have gone in the past. Play hard, play close, but talent and superior depth wins out in the end. Then there is a letdown the following game bacause we had our hearts ripped out, leading to a loss to a 50-50 team.

We should be 4-2 entering the last 6 games :

@MD
@Neb
Vs Northwestern
@PSU
vs UM
@PU

It not just about who you play, but when and where you play them. 4 away games and only 2 at home. A tough stretch no matter how you look at it and Allen hasn't won a B1G road game in 2 years (except Illinois and Rutgers).
Well aside from everything else going on in the program, much of it positive, we need to get the hell out of this divisional alignment. Until we do, 6 wins is going to be a large mountain climb every season.

Last edited:
Well aside from everythjing else going on in the program, much of it positive, we need to get the hell out of this divisional alignment. Until we do, 6 wins is going to be a large mountain climb every season.

We can do it. Just keep building and keep the faith...

I predict that the Hoosiers will be very competitive in at least nine of the 12 games. Which games will Indiana not be competitive in? How the hell would I know!

OK I’ll go out on a limb. I predict watching the Hoosiers play football in 2019 is going to be fun and exciting.

Theres no way they take a step back this year. Not in year 2 of our strength program or our awesome returning talent or the recruiting class coming in or an offensive coordinator that's much better than last years. 5-7 is the floor

Ball State- W (They lost their QB and RB this offseason. Close game at halftime, end up winning by a lot)

Eastern Illinois- W (2018 losses include Illinois State, Indiana State, Murray State, Jacksonville State, Eastern Kentucky, Southeast Missouri State...)

Ohio State- W (New OSU coach and QB early in the season+ home game+ FOX game of the week+ amped up crowd+ OSU underestimating an improved IU team+ being able to not open up the playbook until this game...screams upset to me )

Connecticut- W (I don't know much about them, but a quick google search shows that some of their losses last year included Tulsa (by 30), UMass, East Carolina (by 34), Temple (by 50!) and they narrowly knocked off Rhode Island (didn't know they had a team) by a touchdown. Can't imagine one offseason could change that much with them)

@ Michigan State- L (Their defense will just be too much, score will be close...but probably just because neither team will score that much. I would imagine they control the game)

Rutgers- W (We'll be coming off a bye and a loss...win by 30)

@ Maryland- L (Good candidate for the "wtf" blowout loss of the year. Narrowly beat them last year at home despite all that was going on, they have gotten a few solid transfers now with immediate eligibility (LB from Clemson yesterday), McFarland Jr. will be a problem at RB again. Would think that Locksley will be an upgrade over Canada. A positive for this matchup is that they will be coming off a tough road game @ Purdue and we will hopefully be coming off a blowout home win vs Rutgers where the starters hopefully got a lot of rest)

@ Nebraska- L (They are obviously receiving a lot of hype this offseason, we might be having nightmares about Adrian Martinez after this game (Wan'dale Robinson too). Scott Frost is a solid coach and Nebraska has a big home field advantage. They have a bye before this game, which could equal big trouble for us. What will be nice about playing Nebraska prior to Purdue though is that it will give the D preparation for playing Rondale Moore in first playing Wan'dale Robinson.)

Northwestern- W (Yes, Northwestern peaks at this time of year. Yes, Hunter Johnson is receiving a ridiculous amount of hype. No, Northwestern will not win this game. This game is going to showcase our increased depth and elite strength and conditioning staff. In past years, this is a game in the 2nd half of the year that we lead into the mid 3rd and then fold. This is the year that all changes, and the type of game that needs to be won to take the next step as a program. While the OSU game will be viewed as a fluke, this will be the game that truly begins to change the perception of the program.)

@ Penn State- L (This game will be closer than anticipated. We will be catching them off our bye and they will have just played a road game @ Minnesota. They have some questions on offense going into this year, but are obviously quite a bit more talented than us. Would expect that we are either up or close at half, but can't hang in the 2nd half. From a pure roster standpoint, we just aren't at the point yet of being able to win this type of game)

Michigan- W (Week after MSU...Week before OSU...Home game...Assuming one of the featured games of the week...IT HAS TO HAPPEN ONE OF THESE YEARS)

@ Purdue- W (Sindelar is no Blough... Deboer brings his best game plan of the year...Tuttle goes off to win easily in West Lafayette)

Bowl Game- L (The field goal is once again too high)

Final record: 8-5

I'm going with 6-8 wins regular season and it all goes right it'll be 7 to 9 wins after the bowl game. Anything in that range would be another good step forward for this team. I like what I'm seeing out of the coach and his assistants and the whole program.

6 wins has to be the floor for this year. Otherwise, you lose any positive momentum with recruiting. Have to find a way to claw our way to bowl eligibility. Other programs are doing it with new coaches. There were 10 teams in the conference that went to bowls last year. Have to figure out how to be consistently one of the 10.

ADVERTISEMENT