ADVERTISEMENT

Predictions

Bowlmania

All-American
Sep 23, 2016
With the conclusion of spring ball and not much going on in the college football world right now, I thought it might be a good time to roll out a predictions thread.

Since the end of what was for me a very disappointing season, we've seen some positive developments: a strong recruiting class, the hiring of strength and conditioning coach David Ballou, and the addition of grad transfers Nick Linder (center, Miami) and Brandon Dawkins (QB, Arizona).

Linder and Dawkins are huge gets. Dawkins brings dual threat skills that served him well at Arizona, fits well with what DeBord likes to do, and gives us some much needed depth (and experience) at QB. Linder started 26 games at Miami before being sidelined by an injury. He's got pretty good bloodlines - - his brother was a third round NFL draft pick and is the starting center for Jacksonville.

Both guys bring a ton of experience from major programs. They should make immediate contributions on the field and serve as leaders and mentors to position groups that can benefit from their knowledge and maturity.

CTA's defensive coaching prowess will be put to the test this season, with so many key guys graduating and moving on. With respect to the offense, I think we're going to see dramatic improvement and good production from DeBord's crew.

My hope for the Hoosiers between now and August: stay hungry, healthy and out of trouble.

My prediction: a 4-1 start, a 3-4 finish, for an overall record of 7-5. What do you think?

With the conclusion of spring ball and not much going on in the college football world right now, I thought it might be a good time to roll out a predictions thread.

Since the end of what was for me a very disappointing season, we've seen some positive developments: a strong recruiting class, the hiring of strength and conditioning coach David Ballou, and the addition of grad transfers Nick Linder (center, Miami) and Brandon Dawkins (QB, Arizona).

Linder and Dawkins are huge gets. Dawkins brings dual threat skills that served him well at Arizona, fits well with what DeBord likes to do, and gives us some much needed depth (and experience) at QB. Linder started 26 games at Miami before being sidelined by an injury. He's got pretty good bloodlines - - his brother was a third round NFL draft pick and is the starting center for Jacksonville.

Both guys bring a ton of experience from major programs. They should make immediate contributions on the field and serve as leaders and mentors to position groups that can benefit from their knowledge and maturity.

CTA's defensive coaching prowess will be put to the test this season, with so many key guys graduating and moving on. With respect to the offense, I think we're going to see dramatic improvement and good production from DeBord's crew.

My hope for the Hoosiers between now and August: stay hungry, healthy and out of trouble.

My prediction: a 4-1 start, a 3-4 finish, for an overall record of 7-5. What do you think?
I'll bite:

Date Home/Away Opponent Time
‎Sep‎ ‎01 @
fiu__panthers-2010.png
Florida Intl. Time: TBD Win
‎Sep‎ ‎08 vs
vvb.png
Virginia Time: TBD Win
‎Sep‎ ‎15 vs
Ball-State-Cardinals_70x70.png
Ball St. Time: TBD Win
‎Sep‎ ‎22 vs
mml.png
Michigan St. Time: TBD It's home. We should be healthy. We could have won last year with a depleted team. I'm going to call this a WIN
‎Sep‎ ‎29 @
rrd.png
Rutgers Time: TBD Win, although if we beat MSU, some major motivation will be required
‎Oct‎ ‎06 @
ohio_state_70x70.png
Ohio St. Time: TBD Loss
‎Oct‎ ‎13 vs
iig.png
Iowa Time: TBD I'd like to call this a win, especially after Purdue just throttled them last year. But factor in the referee factor, and I'll call this a Loss.
‎Oct‎ ‎20 vs
ppb.png
Penn St. Time: TBD PSU loses some weapons. But I don't think we'll beat them. Loss
‎Oct‎ ‎26 @
mmn.png
Minnesota Time: TBD On the road. Minny runs a duel-threat QB (or did) and our Offense isn't as effective up there. We could be banged up. Loss
‎Nov‎ ‎10 vs
Maryland-70.png
Maryland Time: TBD Win, making us bowl eligible
‎Nov‎ ‎17 @
michigan_70x70.1.png
Michigan Time: TBD On the road. Too many injuries late in the year. Loss
‎Nov‎ ‎24 vs
Purdue-Boilermakers_70.png
Purdue Time: TBD Win, for the first winning season since 2007

We go somewhere warm for a bowl game, for once.

Well...I try to be a realist, as I've followed IU FB too long to be anything else. I respect all opinions...mine has no more value than anyone else's. What do I see? The same thing this program has been fighting since I've followed them...imbalance between the three aspects of the game, O, D, and ST. Right now I agree the O looks better. Just having RL out of there should improve the game. The group looks a bit better as a whole, though the Oline needs serious proving. That is what the O will rise or fall on...the performance of the line. STs are retooling and will suffer a bit but not much. Might see a couple of run backs as they get used to each other.
But the defense is a rebuild no matter how you sum it up. So many starters to replace...we got some experience in some areas but not all. Too many freshmen will be called upon to play imo for the D to perform well. Give it a year or two then maybe. Look to 2020 for a breakout season if our same pattern repeats.

For this season, I think we will struggle a bit. 5-7 with a couple of close loses to learn from. If the D plays over its head, 6-6, struggle and 4-8 will jump right up. 7-5 seems a bit of a stretch but is possible...of course so is 12-0...vbg. I like the makeup of this team, but they need seasoning. Dawkins probably is the difference between 4-8 and 6-6, or so I hope. Injuries control our fate, as always.

4-8. If we still had last year's defense I would say 7-5. D will likely drop to the 50-60 range, IMO. The key will be both lines and QB play.

Reactions: IUCol
4-8. If we still had last year's defense I would say 7-5. D will likely drop to the 50-60 range, IMO. The key will be both lines and QB play.
We won more than four games when the defense was ranked 120th. Also, TA bumped the defense up to the 40s in one season with a bunch of two and three star players. 26th the next year. My point being that he seems to have a good system in place. I’m not too worried about the defense.

Reactions: ESalum86

8-4 (5-4). The big breakthrough never really comes when you expect it.

8-4 (5-4). The big breakthrough never really comes when you expect it.
That's a pretty big limb you're going out on, but I like it.

I know that "close" only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades but, man, we lead the country in "close." Case in point - - last year. Four losses by eight or less points. If we can flip a couple of these close ones to the "W" column, there you go.

Gotta finish.

Big reason we were 5-7 instead of 7-5 in 2017 is because Maryland and Purdue - two teams with no greater talent than Indiana - beat us on special teams. That should be able to be reversed, with coach Inge becoming a full time ST coach. Also both of those teams gashed Indiana with outside running plays time and again, where opposing RBs gained 8-10 yards untouched. I don't think that'll happen with guys like Ball and Fitz back there this season. On offense, Indiana is going to be much better. OL will be a strength instead of weakness. Indiana runs a read option when everyone in the stadium knew Lagow wasn't running it, and they were able to key on the Hoosier RB, often stuffing him for short yardage. In 2018, teams will have to respect the QB run, which will open lanes for Ellison and Gest, both of whom will be stronger and faster in 2018 versus last season. Finally, the 2018 schedule is friendlier to Indiana versus 2017, and I like the Hoosiers to finish 7-5, and win the bowl game for a final record of 8-5.

Last edited:
Well...I try to be a realist, as I've followed IU FB too long to be anything else. I respect all opinions...mine has no more value than anyone else's. What do I see? The same thing this program has been fighting since I've followed them...imbalance between the three aspects of the game, O, D, and ST. Right now I agree the O looks better. Just having RL out of there should improve the game. The group looks a bit better as a whole, though the Oline needs serious proving. That is what the O will rise or fall on...the performance of the line. STs are retooling and will suffer a bit but not much. Might see a couple of run backs as they get used to each other.
But the defense is a rebuild no matter how you sum it up. So many starters to replace...we got some experience in some areas but not all. Too many freshmen will be called upon to play imo for the D to perform well. Give it a year or two then maybe. Look to 2020 for a breakout season if our same pattern repeats.

For this season, I think we will struggle a bit. 5-7 with a couple of close loses to learn from. If the D plays over its head, 6-6, struggle and 4-8 will jump right up. 7-5 seems a bit of a stretch but is possible...of course so is 12-0...vbg. I like the makeup of this team, but they need seasoning. Dawkins probably is the difference between 4-8 and 6-6, or so I hope. Injuries control our fate, as always.

I was pretty optimistic and at 7-5, until 3 things happened...1. The spring game screw-up, which I see as a bad omen; 2. R. Jones being named our best defensive player coming out of the Spring; and 3. Linder being out with an injury.

As to #3, I'm concerned that Linder's situation may be a replay of the Cam Patrick story.....ie...no meaningful minutes out of the guy. If that happens, I doubt the depth on our OL. As to #2, I understand that 'he's our most improved player'....but seriously, Jones is our BEST defensive player? That means Ball & Crawford haven't reached a new level, among other things. Not much this Spring about Burnum, who I hoped would really emerge. Sykes might be the only above average BT player on the DL or at LB this Fall.

The good news is that our schedule is so favorable that I still think we go 6-6. Also, Dawkins is a wlld card. If he comes in and does a Kellen Lewis impression we could go 8-4 even with a mediocre defense.

Reactions: Chriselli

Seems right...hard to know though. Favorable schedule this year with some home games we can win. Better OL and QB play is almost a guarantee. DL push/rush still ???? Solid DBs and I think LBs will be fine. 7-5 is quite doable.

Reactions: Nieman
Big reason we were 5-7 instead of 7-5 in 2017 is because Maryland and Purdue - two teams with no greater talent than Indiana - beat us on special teams. That should be able to be reversed, with coach Inge becoming a full time ST coach. Also both of those teams gashed Indiana without outside running plays time and again, where opposing RBs gained 8-10 yards untouched. I don't think that'll happen with guys like Ball and Fitz back there this season. On offense, Indiana is going to be much better. OL will be a strength instead of weakness. Indiana runs a read option when everyone in the stadium knew Lagow wasn't running it, and they were able to key on the Hoosier RB, often stuffing him for short yardage. In 2018, teams will have to respect the QB run, which will open lanes for Ellison and Gest, both of whom will be stronger and faster in 2018 versus last season. Finally, the 2018 schedule is friendlier to Indiana versus 2017, and I like the Hoosiers to finish 7-5, and win the bowl game for a final record of 8-5.

Staying with the read-option with RL in there was flat-out dumb.

4-8 or 5-7 if we get a win over either Maryland or PU. Right now, I just don't see a big offensive jump and, with graduation, some concerns on defense. I may be a little pessimistic with an absence of a chance to see spring performances (this is not an invitation to get back on that topic). I often walk away from the spring game seeing some positives and that absence might be impacting my prediction.

I like the schedule (Home venue playing a big role, away games at Minn, FIU and Rutgers, not exactly the Big House or Happy Valley. Iowa great at home not so much on the road). Way to early but here goes:

Should- FIU, Ball State, UVA (b/c home), Rutgers.
Should/could- Maryland (home), PU (home), Minn.
Could- MSU, Iowa (both home and Hoosiers won last home game against MSU and 2012 v Iowa)
Maybe- PSU (lost a lot of star power), Mich (very close last 3 years).
Any thing can happen- O$U

I see a floor at 5-7, and no ceiling. I would go with 7-5. IU's close game bad luck has to break soon.

Reactions: 76-1 and ESalum86
We won more than four games when the defense was ranked 120th. Also, TA bumped the defense up to the 40s in one season with a bunch of two and three star players. 26th the next year. My point being that he seems to have a good system in place. I’m not too worried about the defense.

I think the big factor on D is getting Ball back. He has a Bob Sanders like quality/impact the way he flies around. I can't say I fully expect an improved D or even as good, but I don't think they will fall as much as some might think. The system and program in place had more to do with the success than the players alone. It's why new guys stepping into those roles are standing out already.

Reactions: muubell
Should- FIU, Ball State, UVA (b/c home), Rutgers.
Should/could- Maryland (home), PU (home), Minn.

2. R. Jones being named our best defensive player coming out of the Spring; and

As to #2, I understand that 'he's our most improved player'....but seriously, Jones is our BEST defensive player? That means Ball & Crawford haven't reached a new level, among other things. Not much this Spring about Burnum, who I hoped would really emerge. Sykes might be the only above average BT player on the DL or at LB this Fall.

NewIU, I agree with your breakdown but I will move UVA in the Should/Could category. Much like last year, I think this is one of the most important games of the season for us.

Mushroom, I might suggest the reason R. Jones was listed as best D player this spring was to build a positive mental attitude in him. CTA has said time and again how important LB is to this defense. He also said he was very pleased with Jones play in the spring. So let's name him player of the spring and really boost his attitude and energy going into summer workouts.

I don't think you'll have to worry about either Ball or Crawford. I expect big things from both. In fact, I'm going to just say it: an All-American caliber year for Ball. I think the time spent watching from the sidelines last season gives him a new understanding and he explodes right out of the gate in Miami.

4-8 is entirely possible, if not likely, but would be disappointing . . . I've been an IU fan for a long time.

5-7 would be par for IU's course. I'd celebrate the wins, cuss the winnable games that we ended up losing.

6-6 would be a good year . . . and a bowl game victory would put IU in rare orbit . . . a very good year indeed.

7-5 would guarantee a winning record . . . wow . . . and a bowl game win would put IU into an extraordinary and historical trajectory.

8-4 . . . with a bowl game win? Pass the bubbly . . . and honey, turn down the covers . . . .

As to #3, I'm concerned that Linder's situation may be a replay of the Cam Patrick story.....ie...no meaningful minutes out of the guy
What makes you think this? I read, a few weeks back, that he underwent an undisclosed surgical procedure just before spring break but will be good to go in time for fall camp. Has there been some new development?

4-8 is entirely possible, if not likely, but would be disappointing . . . I've been an IU fan for a long time.

5-7 would be par for IU's course. I'd celebrate the wins, cuss the winnable games that we ended up losing.

6-6 would be a good year . . . and a bowl game victory would put IU in rare orbit . . . a very good year indeed.

7-5 would guarantee a winning record . . . wow . . . and a bowl game win would put IU into an extraordinary and historical trajectory.

8-4 . . . with a bowl game win? Pass the bubbly . . . and honey, turn down the covers . . . .

I feel magic in the air this year!

Stock up on that bubbly, rose petals and lingerie now because you will turn down those covers....way down!

We get an elusive 9 win season. It’s the 50 year cycle coming back around, folks! 1968 -2018
It’s the 50th anniversary.
8-4 regular season and win #9 in the bowl.
I run down to the field and kiss the turf at the Holiday Bowl, then cross the border into Tijuana for a night of celebration in the streets....where I am robbed at gunpoint and have to bribe the police to get out alive.

That will truly cap my sports year watching my alma mater.

I feel magic in the air this year!

Stock up on that bubbly, rose petals and lingerie now because you will turn down those covers....way down!

We get an elusive 9 win season. It’s the 50 year cycle coming back around, folks! 1968 -2018
It’s the 50th anniversary.
8-4 regular season and win #9 in the bowl.
I run down to the field and kiss the turf at the Holiday Bowl, then cross the border into Tijuana for a night of celebration in the streets....where I am robbed at gunpoint and have to bribe the police to get out alive.

That will truly cap my sports year watching my alma mater.

If that happens call me: I'll pick you up on the Cali side of the border. (I'll be waiting at that break in the fence just down the hill from the official crossing [we're in defilade there, they'll never see us]. ;)

One caveat; I probably won't be sober enough to drive...:D

Well, anyway..., you know where the hole is now, just make a run for it...;)

Once you're back in California all you have to do is apply for a license and they'll make you a double citizen:D;)

Reactions: vesuvius13 and td75
What makes you think this? I read, a few weeks back, that he underwent an undisclosed surgical procedure just before spring break but will be good to go in time for fall camp. Has there been some new development?

Because I hadn't read anything to the effect that the surgery was expected going into the Spring. I thought he was going to participate in spring practice, then he didn't. Plus, some on here that know about the type of injury he had talked about how difficult that type of injury can be to come back from.....didn't he already have at least 2 operations coming in? So, I'm hoping he can go but wouldn't be surprised if he can't.

Reactions: 540713 and DANC
Because I hadn't read anything to the effect that the surgery was expected going into the Spring. I thought he was going to participate in spring practice, then he didn't. Plus, some on here that know about the type of injury he had talked about how difficult that type of injury can be to come back from.....didn't he already have at least 2 operations coming in? So, I'm hoping he can go but wouldn't be surprised if he can't.
Yes, I believe he's had two prior shoulder surgeries. Don't know if they were for a rotator cuff, a labrum or something else, but I don't think there's been any disclosure about what part of the body this latest surgery involved. In any event, the word is he'll be ready for fall practice (which pretty much rules out an ACL or some other injury with an extremely lengthy rehab) and I'm going to assume that's the case unless and until he's not on the field in early August.

His injury this spring was to his left arm and was unrelated to his previous injuries/surgeries while at Miami. He is supposed to be good to go for the fall. He did participate in some spring practice, that is when the arm injury occurred.

Last edited:
If that happens call me: I'll pick you up on the Cali side of the border. (I'll be waiting at that break in the fence just down the hill from the official crossing [we're in defilade there, they'll never see us]. ;)

One caveat; I probably won't be sober enough to drive...:D

Well, anyway..., you know where the hole is now, just make a run for it...;)

Once you're back in California all you have to do is apply for a license and they'll make you a double citizen:D;)

Sure thing!
I’ll be the only one in an IU jersey, wearing flip-flops and a giant crimson colored sombrero. Won’t be hard to miss.

Reactions: ESalum86 and 76-1
I'm going to stay consistent from an earlier thread and say 5-7. Just too many question marks. I think the following season and after, are when things will be looking brighter. I've got a feeling Iowa and MSU are going to be better than people think. And the game at Minnesota is on a Friday, so a short week to prepare, recuperate and travel. I see us 3-0 before conference play and having a 2-7 record after that. Rutgers and Maryland will be the other wins. The Bucket game will be the decider if we go bowling. Think we fall just short.

Last edited:
I'm usually overly optimistic but I have to agree with most of what was written in this IDS article (aside from the stuck in neutral part)...: http://www.idsnews.com/article/2018/04/spiufbcolumn041818

My guess is 6-6 with the Bowl W being the key to a winning season.

I'm hoping I'm dead wrong and we run the table...
That article captures my thoughts exactly. Throw in the lack of effort at Purdue, and I am just struggling to see a reason for optimism. It was easy when we went 1-11, 4-8, 5-7, 4-8, 6-6, and 6-6 (with no blowouts) to see the upward trajectory. I just don't think the talent is there/ready yet to replace the players that were responsible for much of the moderate success of the past four years.

Reactions: IUgradman
I'm going to stay consistent from an earlier thread and say 5-7. Just too many question marks. I think the following season and after, is when things will be looking brighter. I've got a feeling Iowa and MSU are going to be better than people think. And the game at Minnesota is on a Friday, so a short week to prepare, recuperate and travel. I see us 3-0 before conference play and having a 2-7 record after that. Rutgers and Maryland will be the other wins. The Bucket game will be the decider if we go bowling. Think we fall just short.

I think Purdue will be just as easy/difficult as Virginia. I think we drop one non-conference game (@ FIU possibly) and win two of @ Rutgers (we struggled there two years ago when they were awful), Maryland, and Purdue. We generally match up well with Iowa and have played MSU very well the past two seasons. My heart really wants to say 6-6, but I've just seen this movie too many times.

Reactions: IUgradman

The offense was the best in program history when we were winning five games with that kind of defense. When I say that our defense will be in the 50-60 range, keep in mind that we have only achieved that feat about three times in the past 20ish years. I'm not saying it will be bad, but it probably won't win us any games on its own.

I think Purdue will be just as easy/difficult as Virginia. I think we drop one non-conference game (@ FIU possibly) and win two of @ Rutgers (we struggled there two years ago when they were awful), Maryland, and Purdue. We generally match up well with Iowa and have played MSU very well the past two seasons. My heart really wants to say 6-6, but I've just seen this movie too many times.
I'd have to put Purdue as a tougher opponent than Virginia. Not by a whole lot, but enough to say we probably won't win a shootout with PU. UVA will be less talented on offense than PU, so I think we sneak out a win against them. And if we somehow lose to FIU, look out. The season would be over as soon as it started for bowling purposes.

As for Iowa, they smashed OSU and let one slip away from PSU last season. I think they return a lot of starters. Could be a sleeper pick to win the West. Favorable schedule to do so.

MSU will return a ton of starters. Beat both UM and PSU last season, and usually win close games they are in. Same kind of sleeper pick to win the East. Favorable schedule to do so. On top of that, MSU has a bye before they play us, so that works in their favor as well.

I'm in agreement to not get my hopes up for the 2018 season. Not only is it the same movie we've all seen, but the movie itself is called Groundhog's Day.:(

Reactions: IUCol and Chriselli
Have to agree that 5-7 is not an outcome that I would consider a major surprise.

I'm just hoping the staff and the team pull a Hoosier out of the hat and surprise us and the entire conference.

I wouldn't go into a deep depression and start looking for high ledges and bridges if we had a less than optimal 5-7 year though. I think 2019 will be our year. Let's hope they're a year ahead of schedule...

I would like to believe 7-5, but 5-7 is more likely. I want to see how we start on the road against FIU. If we win that and play well, I will revise my prediction to 6-6 barring severe injuries. We will have to be much better on defense than I expect to be 7-5.

It will be a good sign if Dawkins emerges as the clear starter. Are we expecting Linder to start? How much of an upgrade is he? I've never seen either transfer play, so I'm not expecting any impact to the team to I see them on the field.

I am pleased to see a long list of mostly very reasonable predictions. Last summer hopes were running in the stratosphere...many hearts were broken when Allen didn't bring home the Rose Bowl. He is a first time HC...and he will perform that way until he learns the basics. Finding us a solid DC so he can act like the HC is critical to this imho. If he had tons of HC experience and tried to also be DC, it might work. He doesn't and it wont...imho. But I like his smarts. Give it time...which he wont get...this is IU remember...and he might be a great one. I hope...

Reactions: Upset Alert
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT