ADVERTISEMENT

Prediction Thread: Iowa @ Indiana

That's not really fair.

Romeo went pro, so Archie brought in a one and done. Fitzner was a grad transfer, so he was only going to be here for one year. Yes, he definitely missed on Forrester. People keep speculating on Anderson transferring, but until he announces, that's all it is, speculation.

For the most part, Archie hasn't missed on many kids.
What u talking bout Willis

Reactions: Radio Zero
No, he hasn’t. He’s currently winning 57% of his games at IU. I never stated he couldn’t beat a good team occasionally. Did I really have to clarify that or could we have an actual discussion?
Once again, he did at Dayton. Don't ignore the fact that his team got to the Elite Eight in the NCAAT. That was not with elite players; but it was with an elite team. Do I really have to clarify that or do you just want to discount facts and be selective?

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
all-you-can-eat-buffet.jpg

Once again, he did at Dayton. Don't ignore the fact that his team got to the Elite Eight in the NCAAT. That was not with elite players; but it was with an elite team. Do I really have to clarify that or do you just want to discount facts and be selective?

His teams failed to make it past the first weekend of the tournament his last 3 years at Dayton, with losses in the first round his last two years there.

His teams failed to make it past the first weekend of the tournament his last 3 years at Dayton, with losses in the first round his last two years there.
Very true. How good must a coach be in the AC to show that he is elite?

It is a judgment call. But I believe he showed he was capable in the AC to be performing at an elite level. Elite Eight...4 years in a row in the tourney...and atop the AC. That is elite.

Very true. How good must a coach be in the AC to show that he is elite?

It is a judgment call. But I believe he showed he was capable in the AC to be performing at an elite level. Elite Eight...4 years in a row in the tourney...and atop the AC. That is elite.

I guess we'll just have to have an "agree to disagree" view on what makes a coach "elite". In my opinion, an elite coach is someone who gets their team to a certain level and is able to keep them there. I would use guys like Mark Few, Tony Bennett, John Beilein, Tom Izzo, Bo Ryan, and even some of the "shadier" ones like Calipari and Sampson, as examples. Guys who can keep their teams being talked about as some of the best in the country year in and year out, instead of having one outstanding year, and then following that up with years that are good, but don't equal that one good year. I'll use Archie's last 3 years at Dayton as an example. Or, we can use a comparison of us and Michigan in the 2013-14 season of an example of why I would consider Beilein to be "elite". We were coming into that season without our 2 best players from the previous (Sweet 16)season and Michigan was missing 3 from their run to the Final 4(2 turned pro and McGary was out with an injury.) We finished the season 17-15, 8th in the Big 10, and missed the postseason entirely, while Michigan finished #7 in the country, won the Big 10, went to the Elite 8, and Beilein was named National Coach of the Year.

I guess we'll just have to have an "agree to disagree" view on what makes a coach "elite". In my opinion, an elite coach is someone who gets their team to a certain level and is able to keep them there. I would use guys like Mark Few, Tony Bennett, John Beilein, Tom Izzo, Bo Ryan, and even some of the "shadier" ones like Calipari and Sampson, as examples. Guys who can keep their teams being talked about as some of the best in the country year in and year out, instead of having one outstanding year, and then following that up with years that are good, but don't equal that one good year. I'll use Archie's last 3 years at Dayton as an example. Or, we can use a comparison of us and Michigan in the 2013-14 season of an example of why I would consider Beilein to be "elite". We were coming into that season without our 2 best players from the previous (Sweet 16)season and Michigan was missing 3 from their run to the Final 4(2 turned pro and McGary was out with an injury.) We finished the season 17-15, 8th in the Big 10, and missed the postseason entirely, while Michigan finished #7 in the country, won the Big 10, went to the Elite 8, and Beilein was named National Coach of the Year.

And then Beilein made zero tourneys the following year. So he took a year off being elite? Lol.
Dude is great and had a great run at Michigan but wasn’t exactly great his first 100 years as a head coach.
IU fans become experts on greatness when they feel insecure. I get it. It’s weird but I get it. Lol.

And then Beilein made zero tourneys the following year. So he took a year off being elite? Lol.
Dude is great and had a great run at Michigan but wasn’t exactly great his first 100 years as a head coach.
IU fans become experts on greatness when they feel insecure. I get it. It’s weird but I get it. Lol.

And then he followed up that year off from "being elite" with a national runner up and 2 sweet 16 seasons. Archie has continued to have less and less success since his ONE "elite" season, and hasn't made the tournament in the last 2 years. It's alright to be so desperate to be right that you become blind to the facts and terrified of being proven wrong. Hey, everyone gets it wrong and has their ego bruised sometimes. Chin up there, cowboy!

Last edited:
Reactions: snarlcakes
And then he followed up that year off from "being elite" with a national runner up and 2 sweet 16 seasons. Archie has continued to have less and less success since his ONE "elite" season, and hasn't made the tournament in the last 2 years. It's alright to be so desperate to be right that you become blind to the facts and terrified of being proven wrong. Hey, everyone gets it wrong and has their ego bruised sometimes. Chin up there, cowboy!

not the case at all. Lol. Archie may be a dud. The doomsday crew can’t tell the difference between “ehhh, little more time” and “he’s the next Bobby.” Duuuuumb.

more Beilein comparisons? Great!
  • Archie did more at his mid-major gig than Beilein did at any of his.
  • He will have done as much his first 3 years at IU as Beilein did his first 3 at MU if he gets any NCAA bid this year.
  • Beilein did go to the E8 his 3rd year at WVU but Archie did take his Dayton team there.
soooo, three years in to their “destination” jobs and they match up pretty well minus Beilein having had many more jobs over many more years.

could Archie be a dud? For sure. Would i take Beilein over him? Yup and I would have said so at any point over the last three years. But seriously, spare us your studies on greatness because you ain’t so great at it. Lol. But imbalanced emotions tend to shade reality.......

Last edited:
not the case at all. Lol. Archie may be a dud. The doomsday crew can’t tell the difference between “ehhh, little more time” and “he’s the next Bobby.” Duuuuumb.

more Beilein comparisons? Great!
  • Archie did more at his mid-major gig than Beilein did at any of his.
  • He will have done as much his first 3 years at IU as Beilein did his first 3 at MU if he gets any NCAA bid this year.
  • Beilein did go to the E8 his 3rd year at WVU but Archie did take his Dayton team there.
soooo, three years in to their “destination” jobs and they match up pretty well minus Beilein having had many more jobs over many more years.

could Archie be a dud? For sure. Would i take Beilein over him? Yup and I would have said so at any point over the last three years. But seriously, spare us your studies on greatness because you ain’t so great at it. Lol. But imbalanced emotions tend to shade reality.......
O-N-E G-O-O-D Y-E-A-R D-O-E-S-N'-T M-A-K-E A C-O-A-C-H E-L-I-T-E. There, obviously you're a little slow and I have to spell it out for you. So, Since Mike Davis took us to the National Championship game in 2002, he should be considered among the elite coaches? How about Stan Heath? He took Kent St to the Elite 8 his FIRST year, then failed to make it past the first round the 2 years he made the tournament at Arkansas. I'm sure he is in your eyes.

O-N-E G-O-O-D Y-E-A-R D-O-E-S-N'-T M-A-K-E A C-O-A-C-H E-L-I-T-E. There, obviously you're a little slow and I have to spell it out for you. So, Since Mike Davis took us to the National Championship game in 2002, he should be considered among the elite coaches? How about Stan Heath? He took Kent St to the Elite 8 his FIRST year, then failed to make it past the first round the 2 years he made the tournament at Arkansas. I'm sure he is in your eyes.

what is this gibberish? When and where did I say one year made Archie or any coach elite? Lol. Please go back reread your flawed argument and keep your head in the game. You post like we play.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT