ADVERTISEMENT

Potential Rhea Successor: Erik Korem, PhD

IUCX9

Junior
Nov 30, 2018

W&M Athletics Hires Associate AD of Student-Athlete High Performance
May. 14, 2018 General
WILLIAMSBURG, Va. - Erik Korem has been appointed William & Mary's new Associate Athletics Director for Student-Athlete High Performance, Tribe Director of Athletics Samantha K. Huge announced on Monday. Korem brings nearly two decades of national expertise to the Tribe at the professional and collegiate levels, most recently, serving as the Director of Sports Science for the National Football League's Houston Texans.

At William & Mary, Korem will be responsible for all areas of student-athlete performance, including nutrition, sports medicine and strength & conditioning. He will report directly to the Director of Athletics and begins his tenure on May 14.

"The student-athletes of William & Mary deserve to be surrounded by outstanding coaches and support staff, who are each committed to our students' individual development and team success. The appointment of Erik Korem is a clear demonstration of the commitment we are making to boldly pursue excellence," Huge said. "Erik brings a wealth of knowledge, experience and passion to W&M Athletics and his leadership will provide our student-athletes the opportunity to not only reach, but go beyond their potentials. We are excited to have Erik join the Tribe, and we can't wait for him to get started."

Reactions: red hornet

W&M Athletics Hires Associate AD of Student-Athlete High Performance
May. 14, 2018 General
WILLIAMSBURG, Va. - Erik Korem has been appointed William & Mary's new Associate Athletics Director for Student-Athlete High Performance, Tribe Director of Athletics Samantha K. Huge announced on Monday. Korem brings nearly two decades of national expertise to the Tribe at the professional and collegiate levels, most recently, serving as the Director of Sports Science for the National Football League's Houston Texans.

At William & Mary, Korem will be responsible for all areas of student-athlete performance, including nutrition, sports medicine and strength & conditioning. He will report directly to the Director of Athletics and begins his tenure on May 14.

"The student-athletes of William & Mary deserve to be surrounded by outstanding coaches and support staff, who are each committed to our students' individual development and team success. The appointment of Erik Korem is a clear demonstration of the commitment we are making to boldly pursue excellence," Huge said. "Erik brings a wealth of knowledge, experience and passion to W&M Athletics and his leadership will provide our student-athletes the opportunity to not only reach, but go beyond their potentials. We are excited to have Erik join the Tribe, and we can't wait for him to get started."

No thanks.

We can do better.

A fun fact for those keeping score:

iU is the 15th highest paid strength program in the country at $400K and behind only Iowa, OSU, Michigan and Nebraska.
We can afford somebody good.

Reactions: vesuvius13
A fun fact for those keeping score:

iU is the 15th highest paid strength program in the country at $400K and behind only Iowa, OSU, Michigan and Nebraska.
We can afford somebody good.
We could have afforded a big time OC too. But instead we promoted Sheridan.

We’ll see if that works out. Cannot fault Allen for wanting to continue the system rather than reinvent the wheel a third time and put kids through that.

So far, he’s made good hires. The guy from Tulane was a good hire. He fired the previous strength staff and hired Ballou. I think they will make another good hire there.

I’m ok with promoting from within. Can’t continue to pass over internal talent and maintain positive attitudes. Now if we suck we go back out and buy talent but I’m betting we’ll be fine. We’ve had one good year in a quarter century. We all want more. Go Hoosiers!

Ballou and Rhea better hit the ground running patience is not a Saban or Crimson Tide fans strength.They will want a National Title now that’s some pressure sometimes people sell themselves into a corner my guess this is the case .Sometimes be careful what you wish for!

Ballou and Rhea better hit the ground running patience is not a Saban or Crimson Tide fans strength.They will want a National Title now that’s some pressure sometimes people sell themselves into a corner my guess this is the case .Sometimes be careful what you wish for!
I said before, if 'Bama doesn't win a national title, guess who the scape goat will be?

Yup. You're right.

Which is why, for me at least, it was hard to lose Ballou/Rhea. According to them, their system was to turn 2* bodies into 4* athletes.

In your opinion as a coach, was that ever realistic?
Great strength and conditioning program can improve kids to a degree. But there are limitations a 2 star to a 4 is possible I guess. Although I enjoyed coaching the Division 1 kids, I got more satisfaction out of getting an offensive lineman that was 5’8 245 into a division 2 school and the coach telling me that the kid had the best feet he had coached or the kid that was drastically overweight and getting him on a program to lose weight and getting a scholarship and he graduated with a double major. Good strength and conditioning and coaching can turn average kids into productive kids. Of course a lot of it also depends on how the kid wants to work.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT