ADVERTISEMENT

Potential New Offensive Coordinators

MMcCormick

Sophomore
Dec 7, 2004
Here is a few names: Matt Luke of Ole Miss. Coached with Allen before.

Mike Bobo who just got fired by Colorado State. Really good offenses there and at Georgia. Been a coordinator forever.

Mike Bobo who just got fired by Colorado State. Really good offenses there and at Georgia. Been a coordinator forever.

Idk, Colorado St was 70th in Scoring Offense and Ole Miss 83rd. Here is my list from yesterday:

Jeff Lebby – Offensive Coordinator / Quarterbacks – UCF – Spread ISO – $200,000
Lebby came up through Baylor and ran one of the Top Offenses in NAIA at Southeastern University.

Kevin Johns – Offensive Coordinator / Quarterbacks – Memphis – Multiple – $200,000
Johns worked his way up through Western Michigan and Texas Tech. Interestingly Johns was at Indiana from 2011-2013 as WR Coach / Co-Offensive Coordinator.

Zak Hill – Offensive Coordinator / Quarterbacks – Boise St – Multiple – $310,000
Before Boise State Hill was OC at Hawai’i and Passing Game Coordinator and Quarterbacks Coach at Eastern Washington.

Rhett Lashlee – Offensive Coordinator / Quarterbacks – SMU – Air Raid – $350,000
Lashlee has been at Arkansas, Auburn (twice), Samford, Arkansas State and UConn and has worked with Gus Malzahn.

Or if we decide to go internal we could give Mike Hart a shot. Hart is currently Assistant Head Coach / Running Backs Coach for the Hoosiers.

Another name I saw suggested is Utah State’s Mike Sanford. I would be willing to vet him as well.

Reactions: DANC
Idk, Colorado St was 70th in Scoring Offense and Ole Miss 83rd. Here is my list from yesterday:

Lebby came up through Baylor and ran one of the Top Offenses in NAIA at Southeastern University.

Kevin Johns – Offensive Coordinator / Quarterbacks – Memphis – Multiple – $200,000
Johns worked his way up through Western Michigan and Texas Tech. Interestingly Johns was at Indiana from 2011-2013 as WR Coach / Co-Offensive Coordinator.

Zak Hill – Offensive Coordinator / Quarterbacks – Boise St – Multiple – $310,000
Before Boise State Hill was OC at Hawai’i and Passing Game Coordinator and Quarterbacks Coach at Eastern Washington.

Rhett Lashlee – Offensive Coordinator / Quarterbacks – SMU – Air Raid – $350,000
Lashlee has been at Arkansas, Auburn (twice), Samford, Arkansas State and UConn and has worked with Gus Malzahn.

Or if we decide to go internal we could give Mike Hart a shot. Hart is currently Assistant Head Coach / Running Backs Coach for the Hoosiers.

Another name I saw suggested is Utah State’s Mike Sanford. I would be willing to vet him as well.
2 things about Lashlee: he's not an Air Raid guy, Dykes is. Lashlee's got more background with Malzahn than he does with Dykes.

Second thing is, he may be Memphis' #1 choice to replace Norvell.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
2 things about Lashlee: he's not an Air Raid guy, Dykes is. Lashlee's got more background with Malzahn than he does with Dykes.

Second thing is, he may be Memphis' #1 choice to replace Norvell.

Thanks for the info. Yes they are running sort of a spread-air raid hybrid at SMU.

Perhaps with Norvell going to Florida State we can wrest Kevin Johns away from him?

Or better yet we pony up and pay DeBoer to stay for another year or two.

Reactions: Sassy61
Lebby is an interesting pick. Bobo is way more experienced and has a long resume beyond this year. Allen would know exactly how good Luke is as he spent three years with him. Johns would be a interesting hire but he'll go to Florida State over IU. Lashlee has kind of had an up and down career. I think he got canned at Auburn and was terrible at UCONN.

I am against bringing Kevin Johns back. I’m not familiar with all the others but KJ was a good guy but was in over his head here and I seriously doubt Memphis is as good as their rank.... no way....it would be bad for the program.... we are better than that

Optimist in me refuses to speculate now unless/until something has happened. I’m keeping faith DeBoer stays more than 1 year to build his IU resume to be up for better job than Fresno St HC.

Agree with you. I also tend to agree with certain posters who think its more common to move up from HC to HC. It's hard to envision a Big 10 team hiring IU's ocoordinator after another successful season. I think the only way we keep him is by throwing a boatload of money and stability argument. 500k divided in the staff pool won't cut it.

Agree with you. I also tend to agree with certain posters who think its more common to move up from HC to HC. It's hard to envision a Big 10 team hiring IU's ocoordinator after another successful season. I think the only way we keep him is by throwing a boatload of money and stability argument. 500k divided in the staff pool won't cut it.
You can keep the Fresno's of the world away if you pay a guy $1.2 million or so for their patience. But if they pay $1.5 million and you pay $800k, that's a problem. Only good news is that 800k allows you steal quite a few good coordinators from other school. Personally I think the guy is worth $1.5 mil to the program. I'd think you'd get that back in ticket sales.

Matt Canada is available

Lebby is an interesting pick. Bobo is way more experienced and has a long resume beyond this year. Allen would know exactly how good Luke is as he spent three years with him. Johns would be a interesting hire but he'll go to Florida State over IU. Lashlee has kind of had an up and down career. I think he got canned at Auburn and was terrible at UCONN.
Johns would be an awesome pick. He's got the right temperment and knows IU. He'd be able to step right in.

But DeBoer isn't going anywhere this year.

Reactions: 76-1
Yeah I've thought about Canada and also Cam Cameron. I think a lot of people will have negative reactions to both but I am definitely willing to consider both.
He'd be great but not sure he wants to play 2nd fiddle at IU.

Johns would be an awesome pick. He's got the right temperment and knows IU. He'd be able to step right in.

But DeBoer isn't going anywhere this year.
Would love it if that were true, but I'll be surprised if he's not going anywhere.

Would love it if that were true, but I'll be surprised if he's not going anywhere.
Everyone needs to remember what DeBoer walked into. The guy was handed probably the best offensive roster ever and a staff that had been together for 2 years unchanged. It was a recipe for success for any OC with a good scheme. Most coaches ask for 2 year guarantees from OC or DC hires.

The other thing is recruiting at the P5 level. Fresno is a good gig but you are not grabbing P5 players. With his success at lower levels DeBoer is strong but lacks D1 experience. He could end up in a really good gig if he continues on. He needs to get some good recruiting relationships going and continue the rise with Allen hopefully breaking some barriers next year in regards to osu, michi, msu, and psu. Well see.

If he bolts I trust CTA to grab someone similar and continue with his solid hires!

It looks like I will get a few days to watch Lashlee work as it looks as if SMU will be using our facilities for practice for the Boca Raton Bowl. Was really cool watching UAB last year and again last Friday for Conference USA championship game. Bill Clark is definitely a head coach to keep an eye on. Really surprised did not get something this year.

Can Cameron was a joke to IU players. They made fun of him behind his back. Said he had a great offensive mind but couldn’t fire a team up with his Opie Taylor vocabulary.

Not only that but apparently was not well received by the Indiana high school coaches
IU came in to recruit a top OL of mine when in Indy and they were not impressive at all. Cam made disparaging remarks about my player when giving a talk later that day in Indy. My OL started for four years when BC was good and played in the NFL for a few years. Cam was not well though of by Indiana coaches as he came across as not valuing Indiana players.

IU came in to recruit a top OL of mine when in Indy and they were not impressive at all. Cam made disparaging remarks about my player when giving a talk later that day in Indy. My OL started for four years when BC was good and played in the NFL for a few years. Cam was not well though of by Indiana coaches as he came across as not valuing Indiana players.
I've heard many similar stories. Doesn't make sense to me. Out on the recruiting trail, you'd think a head coach would be on his best behavior, not some dick. Few people would think of RMK as "charming", but he could lay it on thick when he was going after a kid. Doesn't mean he made promises or sucked up, but he still treated people with a little respect and consideration in those circumstances.

Of course, once a kid was signed and on campus, all bets were off. :)

Reactions: vesuvius13

Must have been Trueblood or Marten??

Must have been Trueblood or Marten??
Marten with Northwestern and TN pushing hard to get him to their schools. Cam made the comment that Marten wasn't good enough for IU even though he was 6'8" and ran a 4.9 forty electronic timed at TN's camp. I got a call a few days later wanting the info for Marten IE address, phone#, etc because they didn't get it when visiting at the school. I can attest that Cam came across as aloof and arrogant when dealing with him. I couldn't believe his comment about Marten not thinking the word would get back to us even as Marten was deciding what school to choose.

Reactions: Grateful Redbeard
Definitely rubbed them the wrong way. Talk of him being condescending and arrogant.

He was a very good college OC. His subsequent career is Peter Principle personified.
Cam Cameron? He was never a college OC before he came to IU.

As far as I know, he hasn't coached in college since.

That is correct. When he was hired from Michigan he was their QB coach. Successful, but not the OC.

GO HOOSIERS!!!

Cam Cameron? He was never a college OC before he came to IU.

As far as I know, he hasn't coached in college since.
I'll be damned. I would have bet cash money he was the OC at Michigan. But Wikipedia tells me otherwise.

However, it also says he was the OC at LSU a few years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cam_Cameron

I'm glad retirement is just around the corner. I'm losing my edge.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC
IIRC Cam was at Michigan (as QB coach) when Elvis Grbac was there...Debord too, FWIW

how many "degrees of separation" is that, I wonder?

IIRC Cam was at Michigan (as QB coach) when Elvis Grbac was there

Which is most likely where he acquired his "over the top" degree of arrogance... (MI)

It's a Michigan "thing" (even though only a very, very few of them have ever actually done anything to merit it...).

Last edited:
Can Cameron was a joke to IU players. They made fun of him behind his back. Said he had a great offensive mind but couldn’t fire a team up with his Opie Taylor vocabulary.

This is absolutely true. There was a story that floated around back in the day, around 2000, where in the midst of a losing streak, Cameron called the team together and asked them what plays he should call going forward.
It was not just a player input meeting. He turned to the players because he was at a loss what to do and turned over the decision making to them.

I'll be damned. I would have bet cash money he was the OC at Michigan. But Wikipedia tells me otherwise.

Cameron was the QB coach at Michigan. He actually was with the Washington Redskins, also in the same role, right before he came here.

It was only after IU that he got the OC roles. He went to the Ravens and then the Chargers and a short stint with the Dolphins as a head coach, maybe after their regular coach was fired. He was the OC at LSU and got canned when their offense failed to produce 3 years ago.

Read this....pretty indicting:

https://www.nola.com/sports/article_0c8c7424-5500-5b96-95fb-fb13b9ebec67.html

That's right - I forgot he coached at LSU.

I remember at the time he was hired by IU, I kept pointing out that he'd never even been an OC, not to mention HC. Everyone told me to shut up - he had been tutored by Knight and Bo.

This is absolutely true. There was a story that floated around back in the day, around 2000, where in the midst of a losing streak, Cameron called the team together and asked them what plays he should call going forward.
It was not just a player input meeting. He turned to the players because he was at a loss what to do and turned over the decision making to them.
If that's true, that was part of the problem - Defense was a foreign concept to him.

Cameron was the QB coach at Michigan. He actually was with the Washington Redskins, also in the same role, right before he came here.

It was only after IU that he got the OC roles. He went to the Ravens and then the Chargers and a short stint with the Dolphins as a head coach, maybe after their regular coach was fired. He was the OC at LSU and got canned when their offense failed to produce 3 years ago.

Read this....pretty indicting:

https://www.nola.com/sports/article_0c8c7424-5500-5b96-95fb-fb13b9ebec67.html
Wow

If that's true, that was part of the problem - Defense was a foreign concept to him.
I remember during the Cameron era our secondary was so bad the corners would play like 10-12 yards off the line of scrimmage and the back peddal when the ball was snapped. The WRs could literally run to the sticks, stop, catch the ball, then half the time we'd miss the tackle and they'd gain 10-15 more yards. It was so frustrating to watch.

I remember during the Cameron era our secondary was so bad the corners would play like 10-12 yards off the line of scrimmage and the back peddal when the ball was snapped. The WRs could literally run to the sticks, stop, catch the ball, then half the time we'd miss the tackle and they'd gain 10-15 more yards. It was so frustrating to watch.
Remember when Knight showed up to practice and was telling the DBs to play up closer to the LOS?

I'm pretty sure that was when Cam was here. I can't see Mal letting Knight do that in practice.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT