ADVERTISEMENT

Potential Assistant Coach

IndyMitchell

Benchwarmer
Apr 29, 2008
I have read that Kenny Payne is an exceptional assistant. They worked together with the Knicks. I wonder if that is a guy Woodson would consider.

Last edited:
I have read that Kenny Payne is an exceptional assistant. They worked together with the Knicks. I wonder if that is a good Coach Woodson would consider.
He just declined the DePaul HC job. Would be an exceptional get for IU, especially in terms of recruiting, but don't see him leaving the Knicks after already turning down a HC position.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
He just declined the DePaul HC job. Would be an exceptional get for IU, especially in terms of recruiting, but don't see him leaving the Knicks after already turning down a HC position.
Isn’t KP coaching in the NBA because he was caught up in the recruiting scandal at UL?

It’s been discussed because they worked together in NY and hit it off. It’s all speculative but does have some merit.
So, that rumor involves Kenny Payne joining Woodson's staff? I just want to make sure I'm understanding this whole thing correctly.

Isn’t KP coaching in the NBA because he was caught up in the recruiting scandal at UL?
Payne played at Louisville in the 80's but never coached there and has been at UK through Calipari's tenure. I think there was some smoke with Payne in Avenatti's extortion case against Nike but nothing that the NCAA is investigating.

Payne played at Louisville in the 80's but never coached there and has been at UK through Calipari's tenure. I think there was some smoke with Payne in Avenatti's extortion case against Nike but nothing that the NCAA is investigating.
With Payne having played at Louisville and coached at UK, it would be hilarious to see him wind up at IU. Imagine the consternation from the UL and UK fanbases.

My bad. I was thinking of Kenny Johnson

I have read that Kenny Payne is an exceptional assistant. They worked together with the Knicks. I wonder if that is a good Coach Woodson would consider.

radar-steven-tyler-dream-on.png

• Haha
Do you know anything about Kenny Payne?
Zero inside info. I just remember him as a solid player and then a guy that seemed like a big part of working with Kentucky bigs. I just thought it was interesting that they worked together and Woodson mentioned he wants guys he knows and trusts. It sounds like he is keeping Hunter. I am really curious who he chooses for the other positions.

ADVERTISEMENT