ADVERTISEMENT

Posts about the coronavirus.

A friend of mine who is turning 80 and is much younger than his age told me yesterday that he is canceling his 80th birthday party. I told him that was a smart decision. He said well actually it wasn’t that smart. It was that everybody said they weren’t coming.

He’s a bright guy but he only watches Fox News and still doesn’t really grasp the severity of the situation. I don’t mean that as a slam. It’s the truth. I mentioned in another post that he’s losing a shirt in the stock market because hi is convinced that this is going to be a short term deal. What the hell is a 79-year-old man doing getting into the stock market.

Sounds like he's an optimist...;):D (and has a good sense of humor)
Must plan on making to 125...:D

I personally try to watch as many news programs as possible. After you filter through their obvious biases they all have something to offer in a time like this.

A friend of mine who is turning 80 and is much younger than his age told me yesterday that he is canceling his 80th birthday party. I told him that was a smart decision. He said well actually it wasn’t that smart. It was that everybody said they weren’t coming.

He’s a bright guy but he only watches Fox News and still doesn’t really grasp the severity of the situation. I don’t mean that as a slam. It’s the truth. I mentioned in another post that he’s losing a shirt in the stock market because hi is convinced that this is going to be a short term deal. What the hell is a 79-year-old man doing getting into the stock market.
Watch Bret Baier on Special Report Fox News. It's the straight news not the pundits.

Reactions: 76-1 and DANC
In no way I am saying to go about your life with no precautions and I am 63 so this isn't about being young but being reasonable about risk without destroying our way of life. They are now saying wearing mask [not the special ones medical people need for this virus] would be more effective than staying home and it was a mistake not to do this early on. Many of us in the older age group have a more balanced approach and haven't gone into a panic because we remember other epidemics and the experts aren't right about everything. I hope this epidemic isn't as bad as many think it will be but there is just not enough info yet to draw worse case scenarios. Change the issues and I think you wouldn't like worst case scenarios.

Yes I stay away from others and don't get in crowds. I have older friends I care about and hope they take reasonable precautions to protect themselves. There are many things to do rather than to shut down our society but I guess the panic people will win in this debate.

Who are these people that I are saying we would be better off wearing masks are staying at home? I have been reading everything that I can on this and the only statements I’ve heard like that are coming out of the White House. No epidemiologist is saying that. No healthcare worker for saying that.

This is not a rhetorical question. I would like you to tell me who is saying this.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Who are these people that I are saying we would be better off wearing masks are staying at home? I have been reading everything that I can on this and the only statements I’ve heard like that are coming out of the White House. No epidemiologist is saying that. No healthcare worker for saying that.

This is not a rhetorical question. I would like you to tell me who is saying this.
I didn't say others were saying that, I am looking at S Korea and Japan and what they are doing which are keeping their rates low. I don't just go by what is in our news but look at as much different info as I can about this virus. You won't finding anyone saying it but I think we would have been far better off letting most of the population build immunity while putting high risk people in quarantine. In that scenario we would be overwhelmed with very sick people, although a number of healthy people get very sick from the virus, because most people recovery without any real problems. I am not saying I am right but I am thinking of ways to deal with this without shutting our society down.

Reactions: DANC and red hornet
I didn't say others were saying that, I am looking at S Korea and Japan and what they are doing which are keeping their rates low. I don't just go by what is in our news but look at as much different info as I can about this virus. You won't finding anyone saying it but I think we would have been far better off letting most of the population build immunity while putting high risk people in quarantine. In that scenario we would be overwhelmed with very sick people, although a number of healthy people get very sick from the virus, because most people recovery without any real problems. I am not saying I am right but I am thinking of ways to deal with this without shutting our society down.

This is just my opinion, like you I've tried to get every angle on this that I can pick up, internet, TV, print, local, national and international..., my impression is that the Italian experience has disproved the "herd immunity" approach,at least for the short term, (oh..., and I'm not buying that "they're all old over there in Italy stuff, according to the CIA only 22% of Italians are "old" compared to 16% of the USA [old being over 59)...

The United Kingdom was attempting the "Herd Immunity" and, the way I understand it, they realized that the ill would rapidly overwhelm their health care system if they kept it up and they all became ill in mass...

The quarantine of those at highest risk has great merit but we just had outbreaks in two nursing homes here in Indiana so something went awry with that scenario...

Now if the Federal Government offered me 3 months of quarantine at Grand Teton National Park or Rocky Mountain National Park I'd be tempted to sign up (depending on the ultra fine print)...

That's a joke by the way, I'd prefer to quarantine "in place". I really don't trust anyone else to look out for the best interests of my family but me...

Now if you were able to contain medium size groups of people (and I mean Really contain) in rolling date ranges then Herd Immunity might help, but short of welding people into their living quarters and turning them into death zones (ala our "pals" the communist Chinese) I don't see it happening..., and I sure hope nothing like that ever does here...

Last edited:
This is just my opinion, like you I've tried to get every angle on this that I can pick up, internet, TV, print, local, national and international..., my impression is that the Italian experience has disproved the "herd immunity" approach,at least for the short term, (oh..., and I'm not buying that "they're all old over there in Italy stuff, according to the CIA only 22% of Italians are "old" compared to 16% of the USA [old being over 59)...

The United Kingdom was attempting the "Herd Immunity" and, the way I understand it, they realized that the ill would rapidly overwhelm their health care system if they kept it up and they all became ill in mass...

The quarantine of those at highest risk has great merit but we just had outbreaks in two nursing homes here in Indiana so something went awry with that scenario...

Now if the Federal Government offerd me 3 months of quarantine at Grand Teton National Park or Rocky Mountain National Park I'd be tempted to sign up (depending on the small print)...

That's a joke by the way, I'd prefer to quarantine "in place". I really don't trust anyone else to look out for the best interests of my family but me...
Your last statement sort of belies the idea that we should rely on government to deprive us of civil liberties to protect us from ourselves.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
Your last statement sort of belies the idea that we should rely on government to deprive us of civil liberties to protect us from ourselves.

Well I'm with you on that and so far it appears that the government both Federal and local have walked a really fine line in regards to that.

I Really don't like the idea of what the Justice Department attempted to do in trying to get what I call Hold Without Due Process decrees recently. That concerns me!

Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC
Thanks. Usually eating about that time of the evening but I'll check on that one...
The first half hour is straight news. The second half hour is more of an opinion panel.

I think you'll find the news portion very objective.

The first half hour is straight news. The second half hour is more of an opinion panel.

I think you'll find the news portion very objective.

I've turned into a true news junky. My wife figures she grasps the situation and is sick of hearing about it ;):D... (she and my daughter are in the health care field though so she's dealing with it in real time)...

Reactions: DANC and vesuvius13
I've turned into a true news junky. My wife figures she grasps the situation and is sick of hearing about it ;):D... (she and my daughter are in the health care field though so she's dealing with it in real time)...
I get a disgusted look from my wife when I watch news now. I guess she thinks it's better to ignore it.

In fairness, I am a news junkie.

I was reading online about how infectious disease experts are not saying we should do away with shaking hands, hugging and cheek kissing as a way to greet people.

I get that as a precaution now with social distancing but good grief I really think they want to do away with it permanently. I am not going to let this change my life forever. If I meet someone that I admire, I will offer to shake their hands!!

Reactions: DANC
I was reading online about how infectious disease experts are not saying we should do away with shaking hands, hugging and cheek kissing as a way to greet people.

I get that as a precaution now with social distancing but good grief I really think they want to do away with it permanently. I am not going to let this change my life forever. If I meet someone that I admire, I will offer to shake their hands!!

I understand where you coming from here but two things:

A) this COVID19 stuff isn't going away soon.

B) they'll almost certainly be more of the same following on over the next few years (some of it most likely man made)...

If you ever meet me, I'd prefer you just wave...;):);):D

There's a reason I've chosen to live an unadmirable life.

Reactions: zeke4ahs

Now if the Federal Government offered me 3 months of quarantine at Grand Teton National Park or Rocky Mountain National Park I'd be tempted to sign up (depending on the ultra fine print)...

Now if you were able to contain medium size groups of people (and I mean Really contain) in rolling date ranges then Herd Immunity might help, but short of welding people into their living quarters and turning them into death zones (ala our "pals" the communist Chinese) I don't see it happening..., and I sure hope nothing like that ever does here...

Well 22% of 50 million is 11 million Italians over 60 and 16% of 325 million is 52 million Americans over 60. They have more than 10,000 fatalities and we have 2500. Somebody appears to be doing something right.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC
Well 22% of 50 million is 11 million Italians over 60 and 16% of 325 million is 52 million Americans over 60. They have more than 10,000 fatalities and we have 2500. Somebody appears to be doing something right.

Never said they/we (the US) weren't "doing something right". Our healthcare workers are out there fighting their a--s off to save us and our government is attempting to do the same...

(All of the following is just what I consider an informed opinion)-

At this point in time our numbers are simply looking at the very tip top of a huge iceberg (most of which isn't visible)...

Remember it wasn't the visible part of the iceberg that trashed the hull of Titanic...

I don't believe we'll see this peak country wide until mid to late May and I highly doubt we'll be out of the woods until late July (and that's if everything that can go right, does go right...)

If everything doesn't go right then it's pretty easy to see the cost. Just take 1.5% out of whatever number you choose to be correct as to the actual population of the United States...

That's a scary, ugly number... There's a 101 plus variables that affect that final Total however...; the amount of social distancing actually utilized per community, the type of healthcare available, whether the healthcare workers can survive in the numbers needed (per locale), whether there's a viable course of treatment or multiple ones, etc...

Fortunately, I have Faith that the Lord (through those who have actually engaged and utilized the brain he gave them) will find a way to save many of us from the functioning idiots out there...(I'm referring to the Spring Breakers, Madrid Gras goers, bar hoppers [over the past month] and anyone and everyone else out there who have actively worked against "social distancing" and in doing so have put millions of their fellow citizens at risk..)

Last edited:
Reactions: Chriselli and DANC
Never said they/we (the US) weren't "doing something right". Our healthcare workers are out there fighting their a--s off to save us and our government is attempting to do the same...

(All of the following is just what I consider an informed opinion)-

At this point in time our numbers are simply looking at the very tip top of a huge iceberg (most of which isn't visible)...

Remember it wasn't the visible part of the iceberg that trashed the hull of Titanic...

I don't believe we'll see this peak country wide until mid to late May and I highly doubt we'll be out of the woods until late July (and that's if everything that can go right, does go right...)

If everything doesn't go right then it's pretty easy to see the cost. Just take 1.5% out of whatever number you choose to be correct as to the actual population of the United States...

That's a scary, ugly number... There's a 101 plus variables that affect that final Total however...; the amount of social distancing actually utilized per community, the type of healthcare available, whether the healthcare workers can survive in the numbers needed (per locale), whether there's a viable course of treatment or multiple ones, etc...

Fortunately, I have Faith that the Lord (through those who have actually engaged and utilized the brain he gave them) will find a way to save many of us from the functioning idiots out there...(I'm referring to the Spring Breakers, Madrid Gras goers, bar hoppers [over the past month] and anyone and everyone else out there who have actively worked against "social distancing" and in doing so have put millions of their fellow citizens at risk..)

We have now surpassed every country in the world with testing. The total of Americans tested is now more than 1 million. We now have conducted the most tests, have the most reported cases and have the 9th lowest fatality total in the world. We are the third most populated country in the world behind China and India.

Reactions: DANC
We have now surpassed every country in the world with testing. The total of Americans tested is now more than 1 million. We now have conducted the most tests, have the most reported cases and have the 9th lowest fatality total in the world. We are the third most populated country in the world behind China and India.

This is an argument I really don't want to win, but in my opinion your numbers mean zip... I think we're a good three weeks to month from this thing really taking off Nation Wide...

The numbers a month from now will be the ones that matter... Short of literally drawing you a picture I don't think I could have made that any clearer above...

///I'm not wasting any more time arguing with some lost p u fan. Why you insist on hanging out here and never post on your own free board is odd (at best)...///

Good luck to you.

Last edited:
This is an argument I really don't want to win, but in my opinion your numbers mean zip... I think we're a good three weeks to month from this thing really taking off Nation Wide...

The numbers a month from now will be the ones that matter... Short of literally drawing you a picture I don't think I could have made that any clearer above...

///I'm not wasting any more time arguing with some lost p u fan. Why you insist on hanging out here and never post on your own board is odd (at best)...///

Good luck to you.

I assume you mean an Lol there. I have more than 45,000 posts on the GBI forum.

It's because we haven't run out of ventilators yet. Italians and Spaniards weren't dying at that clip until they ran out...then the rate skyrocketed. If we are at a 1.5 morbidity rate of those that test positive in two weeks it would be a miracle. We are not doing anything well, and there has been no good news on this virus. At all. I cannot thank those in the medical field, first responders, and police enough for fighting for our country!

I had to go to the grocery store once in the past 18 days, and in my imagination everyone else is doing the same. I fear that they are not.

Only 329 million more to go.

Reactions: 76-1
I understand where you coming from here but two things:

A) this COVID19 stuff isn't going away soon.

B) they'll almost certainly be more of the same following on over the next few years (some of it most likely man made)...

If you ever meet me, I'd prefer you just wave...;):);):D

There's a reason I've chosen to live an unadmirable life.

So I guess both of you will forego shaking hands for the rest of your lives. That is quite unbelievable to me.

However this particular virus turns out, I will not be changing my life in the long term outside of maybe washing my hands more often.

I guess to some it is amazing that our species lasted this long.

So I guess both of you will forego shaking hands for the rest of your lives. That is quite unbelievable to me.

However this particular virus turns out, I will not be changing my life in the long term outside of maybe washing my hands more often.

I guess to some it is amazing that our species lasted this long.

Actually, given the knife edge we all live on regularly without even realizing it..., it does amaze me that our species has lasted this long.

While I have to admit I admire your fighting attitude/spirit towards the virus I think you're taking the wrong approach long term...

To me, at least, it's a simple "adapt to the ground truth over the long haul OR triple your chances of an early exit..."

Natural Selection by choice...

Please don't be offended when I just nod at you...;):)

Last edited:
Actually, given the knife edge we all live on regularly without even realizing it..., it does amaze me that our species has lasted this long.

While I have to admit I admire your fighting attitude/spirit towards the virus I think you're taking the wrong approach long term...

To me, at least, it's a simple "adapt to the ground truth over the long haul OR triple your chances of an early exit..."

Natural Selection by choice...

Please don't be offended when I just nod at you...;):)

First, I wasn't speaking about this virus. It is always prudent to tailor your behavior to the present conditions. I was talking long term.

Out species has survived because of a fairly robust immune system developed over ions in an arms race with the microscopic enemy.

I don't know who you are quoting about tripling my chances of an early end but I will call BS. If a person has no underlying factors such as being immune compromised, then allowing the very small potential of a virus killing you is paranoia, plain and simple.

My mother is 102, my sister 80 and I could site many other examples of older people in my life. They made it to the present just fine even though they shook hands and hugged people. I personally know of no one that was infected with past viruses such as H1N1, Ebola, SARS, MERS, etc.. Do you?

I will not be offended if you wave to me, that is your choice. Don't be offended if I say that you are letting a VERY small chance of meeting your end dictate your life. A person has a MUCH larger chance of being killed in a car accident and yet people do that every day without batting an eye.

Edit. I did a little research and here is the top ten leading causes of death in the US according to the CDC in 2017.

1. Heart Disease 23.5%
2. Cancer 21.3%
3. Injuries 6%
4. Chronic Lower Respiratory Disease 5.7%
5. Stroke and Cerebrovascular Disease 5.2%
6. Alzheimer's Disease 4.3%
7. Diabetes 3%
8. Influenza and Pneumonia 2%
9. Kidney Disease 1.8%
10. Suicide

Even though there is evidence that viruses could be a component in some cancers, basically the top seven causes of death have no contagion component. The top seven account for 69% of all deaths. The top two 44.8%. Three times more likely to die of an accident than a microbe. If you had bacon and eggs this morning, that may contribute to you being almost 12 times more likely to die of a heart attack.

We may indeed live on a knife's edge but in over 69% of the cases that edge has nothing to do with viruses, bacteria or any other microbe. Once again, I am not talking about this virus. I am talking about long term and how people are going to let this incident change their behavior in spite of the evidence.

Last edited:
First, I wasn't speaking about this virus. It is always prudent to tailor your behavior to the present conditions. I was talking long term.

Out species has survived because of a fairly robust immune system developed over ions in an arms race with the microscopic enemy.

I don't know who you are quoting about tripling my chances of an early end but I will call BS. If a person has no underlying factors such as being immune compromised, then allowing the very small potential of a virus killing you is paranoia, plain and simple.

My mother is 102, my sister 80 and I could site many other examples of older people in my life. They made it to the present just fine even though they shook hands and hugged people. I personally know of no one that was infected with past viruses such as H1N1, Ebola, SARS, MERS, etc.. Do you?

I will not be offended if you wave to me, that is your choice. Don't be offended if I say that you are letting a VERY small chance of meeting your end dictate your life. A person has a MUCH larger chance of being killed in a car accident and yet people do that every day without batting an eye.

Edit. I did a little research and here is the top ten leading causes of death in the US according to the CDC in 2017.

1. Heart Disease 23.5%
2. Cancer 21.3%
3. Injuries 6%
7. Diabetes 3%
9. Kidney Disease 1.8%
10. Suicide

Even though there is evidence that viruses could be a component in some cancers, basically the top seven causes of death have no contagion component. The top seven account for 69% of all deaths. The top two 44.8%. Three times more likely to die of an accident than a microbe. If you had bacon and eggs this morning, that may contribute to you being almost 12 times more likely to die of a heart attack.

We may indeed live on a knife's edge but in over 69% of the cases that edge has nothing to do with viruses, bacteria or any other microbe. Once again, I am not talking about this virus. I am talking about long term and how people are going to let this incident change their behavior in spite of the evidence.

Like I said AB, I admire your "I'm going to stand my ground attitude" (the quotation marks, in this case, are being used for emphasis as were those above).

My "knife edge" amazement is based as much on family history as anything else. I shouldn't be here. My grandfather should have died in 1918, my father should have died in 1942 and I should have died at least 20 different times, I've lost exact count...

I am guessing that the morbidity tables (for those over 60) are going to have a new #3 named COVID19 by the end of the year. Hope I'm wrong but that sure appears to be how things are trending.

As to you personally shaking hands..., that's between you and your friends and acquaintances. It's a free country and hopefully will remain so.

Speaking purely for myself, I would not consider it a friendly gesture if someone attempted to shake hands with me now, or in the foreseeable future. I'd actually consider it very poor manners going forward from this point; which of course is just my opinion...

Here's hoping we both are around this time next year to make this type of social interaction choice...

Last edited:

1. Heart Disease 23.5%
2. Cancer 21.3%
3. Injuries 6%
7. Diabetes 3%
9. Kidney Disease 1.8%
10. Suicide

My point about this virus is based on people not really aware of the risk in our lives. We see it often enough when shark attack happens even though deaths from this is very rare compared to other ways people dies. Your post does a great job putting the real risk in order.

Reactions: 76-1
Like I said AB, I admire your "I'm going to stand my ground attitude" (the quotation marks, in this case, are being used for emphasis as were those above).

My "knife edge" amazement is based as much on family history as anything else. I shouldn't be here. My grandfather should have died in 1918, my father should have died in 1942 and I should have died at least 20 different times, I've lost exact count...

I am guessing that the morbidity tables (for those over 60) is going to have a new #3 named COVID19 by the end of the year. Hope I'm wrong but that sure appears to be how things are trending.

As to you personally shaking hands..., that's between you and your friends and acquaintances. It's a free country and hopefully will remain so.

Speaking purely for myself, I would not consider it a friendly gesture if someone attempted to shake hands with me now, or in the foreseeable future. I'd actually consider it very poor manners going forward from this point; which of course is just my opinion...

Here's hoping we both are around this time next year to make this type of social interaction choice...

For sure on hoping we are both here next year and the following year.

I don't really look at it as standing my ground as much as looking at reality though the lens of cold hard scientific facts. I was a biology major at IU and pretty familiar with the havoc that nature can cause to the human body. My parasitology class was quite eye opening. There has always been and probably always will be an arms race within nature and between species.

I too would not be receptive to a stranger shaking my hand at this point. Even before this virus, if I had a cold, I would inform someone that wanted to shake hands that I had a cold. But if your stance on shaking hands is colored by this virus and it appears that it is, then to draw an analogy, that is like throwing out the baby with the bath water. Throwing away hundreds of years of social tradition for what might very well be a once in a lifetime occurrence.

Your life, your choice.

For sure on hoping we are both here next year and the following year.

I don't really look at it as standing my ground as much as looking at reality though the lens of cold hard scientific facts. I was a biology major at IU and pretty familiar with the havoc that nature can cause to the human body. My parasitology class was quite eye opening. There has always been and probably always will be an arms race within nature and between species.

I too would not be receptive to a stranger shaking my hand at this point. Even before this virus, if I had a cold, I would inform someone that wanted to shake hands that I had a cold. But if your stance on shaking hands is colored by this virus and it appears that it is, then to draw an analogy, that is like throwing out the baby with the bath water. Throwing away hundreds of years of social tradition for what might very well be a once in a lifetime occurrence.

Your life, your choice.

I respect your analysis and opinion and wish you and yours the best.

Thanks for the interaction.

ADVERTISEMENT