ADVERTISEMENT

Posts about the coronavirus.

V13, I've always enjoyed your posts and am certain I would like you if we met in person. Feel the same about DanC. My guess is that's its ingrained in both your Very beings Not to Panic. I understand (I have the same set of values) and under nearly any other circumstances I'd completely agree with you (actually I do agree that no one should panic)...

My opinion is simply that this situation is one where doing what is seemingly too much on the short term is a lot better than having to deal with the worst case scenario over the longer term.

On a personal basis, I may be a little stupid because the virus doesn't "scare" me... I've been blessed to have survived close to 20 near death experiences over my journey... I don't get easily shook... When the Lord decides I get to come home he'll let me know, could be in the next minute, could be several years from now... I guess I still have more work to do because I'm still here...

I am concerned, scared, however you want to frame it, for my wife and daughter, both of whom are on the front line of the health care services...

I'd much rather that many of us be severely inconvenienced than even slightly add to the chances of their losing their lives because we didn't do everything we could to mitigate this pandemic...

If that's selfish of me then guilty as charged. I know for a Fact that my wife and daughter are worth more to society than a billion of the Party On and screw everyone else crowd...
I too am concerned for your wife and daughter as they are on the front line. I don't like the ones partying on but I have to admit they don't see the danger in their life right now and I don't think it is selfish of them. I would like them to be more concerned for others but I feel the same way about bad drivers impaired or distracted. My guess is those drivers will kill more this year than this virus does but we don't know at this point.

My big concern is not having people exposed to this and building up immunity will do one of two things. One is a rebound that is worse than this round or two it mutates into something even worse. People act like they know the best course but aren't really aware of the ramifications of what they are proposing. I know I don't have enough knowledge about viruses but I remember other "epidemics" and know they don't turn out as bad the the "experts" say it can be.

I hope your daughter and wife have access to the right mask and gloves they need while caring for the very sick from this virus.

I don't like the ones partying on but I have to admit they don't see the danger in their life right now and I don't think it is selfish of them. I would like them to be more concerned for others but I feel the same way about bad drivers impaired or distracted. My guess is those drivers will kill more this year than this virus does but we don't know at this point.
Wow.

I look forward to discussing football with you again.

Looks like the Millennials are on the fast track towards earning the moniker of "the Worst Generation" (Ever)...

One TV commentator threw out a good idea: When hiring for nearly any job..., or screening for slots in Masters programs and the like..., to check the social media of the potential candidates and automatically disqualify any of them having been shown to be bar hopping and Spring Break partying from late February of 2020 thru the end of May 2020. (Great way to save a lot of wasted interview time...)

Another good idea:
Have the local gendarmes of Alabama, Georgia snag these clowns on their way back north (from Spring Break) and throw them in jail for 20 days... Keeps the rest of the population safe and just might teach these youngsters a lesson (but I highly doubt that it would sink in with this group of self absorbed clowns)...

These kids are being reckless (go figure). But maybe they'd feel a little more solidarity with the Boomer crowd if they weren't constantly being reminded how they're just a bunch of spoiled entitled snowflakes.

I know, sounds crazy, but maybe after telling them their entire lives to go to college so they don't flip burgers and then once they get to college telling them to go to trade school because college is for suckers and after draining funding where college costs have gone up exponentially so the ones that get decent jobs out of school are under a flood of debt they will spend 20 years paying back. Maybe, just maybe, cut them a little slack.

They've never lived in a world where mass terrorism wasn't a thing. They've never lived in a world where every stupid thing they do isn't saved for posterity on the internet. They've never lived in a world where the US wasn't in a war and they were in their formative years during a global financial meltdown.

The boomers, forgotten generation, Gen-X, & millennials (the kids these days are really Gen-Z, millennials are kids who came of age around the year 2000) actually had it easy. Their parents grew up in the Depression & won WW2. Everyone else came up in a world of post-war American prosperity (more or less).

Kids are stupid now, but they were stupid then and forever will be. But the "kids these days" have collectively gone through more hardship since any generation since the Greatest Generation. So I wouldn't be surprised if the history books end up smiling on them when it's all said and done.

Until then, get off my lawn.

These kids are being reckless (go figure). But maybe they'd feel a little more solidarity with the Boomer crowd if they weren't constantly being reminded how they're just a bunch of spoiled entitled snowflakes.

I know, sounds crazy, but maybe after telling them their entire lives to go to college so they don't flip burgers and then once they get to college telling them to go to trade school because college is for suckers and after draining funding where college costs have gone up exponentially so the ones that get decent jobs out of school are under a flood of debt they will spend 20 years paying back. Maybe, just maybe, cut them a little slack.

They've never lived in a world where mass terrorism wasn't a thing. They've never lived in a world where every stupid thing they do isn't saved for posterity on the internet. They've never lived in a world where the US wasn't in a war and they were in their formative years during a global financial meltdown.

The boomers, forgotten generation, Gen-X, & millennials (the kids these days are really Gen-Z, millennials are kids who came of age around the year 2000) actually had it easy. Their parents grew up in the Depression & won WW2. Everyone else came up in a world of post-war American prosperity (more or less).

Kids are stupid now, but they were stupid then and forever will be. But the "kids these days" have collectively gone through more hardship since any generation since the Greatest Generation. So I wouldn't be surprised if the history books end up smiling on them when it's all said and done.

Usually like your posts TMFT, but I'm not buying any of that horse dung.

A kid under 22 who hasn't been in the military and who's never done anything in their life tougher then go to school and perhaps worked a part time job hasn't seen anything close to "hardship"...

Their being too self absorbed to not follow clear medical guidelines so as to allow many of their fellow Americans to survive this pandemic tells me all I need to know about them...

They'll get no "slack" from this quarter.

I was serious about Alabama and Georgia tossing the Spring Break or Bust crowd in the clink for 20 days before they come back home and infect the rest of us... That might just be a great learning experience for them... They might even get to experience a light taste of "hardship" ...

Last edited:
They need to start treating people with chloroquine. Anti-Malaria drug developed in the 1940s. It’s cheap and showing really good results right now and Bayer is going to donate a load of this to the U.S. government. When combined with Azithromax (Z-pack) it greatly reduces the severity and duration of the illness. The Z-pack has a good outcome with the lungs. I swear by the Z-packs. Anything I get respiratory, take it and the junk is knocked out in 48 hours. I know they say it does nothing for a virus but it seems to always help whether it’s viral or bacterial.

I don’t agree with this take though I’ll be a bit more diplomatic than 76 ;). Terrorism has existed for a very long time. The Vietnam War and civil rights era tore the country apart, the Cold War, gas rationing, 9/11, several recessions... This generation doesn’t have it any worse than previous generations. When I was in high school and college, the threat of global nuclear war was very real. We didn’t do active shooter drills, we did nuclear attack drills.
Now, I will fight with anyone who calls young people “snowflakes” and my experience with them is that they are very competent, industrious, and generous. I am completely comfortable putting my old age in their hands but to suggest that life now is more difficult than 20, 30, 40, 50 years ago is silly.

I agree.

If my roof leaks, I call a roofer and listen. If my check engine light comes on, I go to my mechanic and listen. If I get arrested, I call my cousin June Bug & don't snitch.

So if epidemiologists & infectious disease experts tell me that if we don't put a lid on this thing in short order that 100k or more in the US could die, I'm going to sacrifice my Spring Break plans and assume they know more than me about this kind of thing.

Unfortunately, the only two kinds of people on social media right now are doomsday preppers or media conspiracy theorists.

So in the words of Noah's neighbor, "I think it's letting up."
Without the precautions and steps that have been taken, I believe the worst case outcomes would be possible. Closing schools, restaurants, and canceling large events will only work if people stay home and are disciplined throughout the crisis.

My worry is people will become bored and let up long before the crisis is over. I have no medical conditions that put me at greater risk other than being over 50. I never get a cold or the flu, but I am treating this with great caution. I won't stop working and living. I'm going to avoid stores, order online and use carside delivery when available. It isn't just for me but for others as I could have it now and not know it.

Just a heads up to all: now they're saying that digestive track distress IS a symptom of COVID19...

Saw the info on a crawler on OAN a little while ago and just found an expansion concerning it in this article: https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news...0-intl-hnk/h_d7e55984e373c1327507348703eff3ff

Guess those TP hoarders might have been on to something after all... :eek::(

I'm just hoping some of those white oak leaves are still piled up against the lee side of my house...;)

Just a heads up to all: now they're saying that digestive track distress IS a symptom of COVID19...

Saw the info on a crawler on OAN a little while ago and just found an expansion concerning it in this article: https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news...0-intl-hnk/h_d7e55984e373c1327507348703eff3ff

I'm just hoping some of those white oak leaves are still piled up against the lee side of my house...;)

Yes - it’s crazy. My firm has a a policy that if any employee self-reports symptoms of fever, cough and trouble breathing they are on an automatic 14-day home quarantine. No work.
However, we have some folks who show the signs of intestinal bug with fever, vomiting and diarrhea and those employees are coming back as soon as they are “fever free.”

I’m not totally convinced that the CDC has a full grasp of the myriad of symptoms this could cause.

That's interesting. I was violently - and I mean violently - sick to my stomach with some major diahrea (TMI, I know) over Christmas. Also had a fever and a cough. Everything went away except the cough and I had it for 2 months until I finally went into an urgent care and got an antibiotic. That fixed the cough, eventually. I still have stopped up ears and have a lot of phlem in the morning.

Seeing how many people who have been tested actually have it, and knowing it really was happening in China in November, I'm just wondering if I didn't have it. My son-in-law had it also and my 1 year old granddaughter had a much milder case of it. My wife and daughter showed no symtoms.

I did not have shortness of breath, which is supposed to be a symptom of the virus, so I didn't think much about it. But if it affects the digestive system, I think it's possible I might have dodged a bullet. And I was taking chemo pills at the time.

This makes zero sense...You ask a kid these days to change oil in a car or change a flat tire and they would not have a clue. What have they gone through? Most stare at their damn phones all day and can't even converse. They sit next to each other and are so lazy to engage in speaking that they send texts??? WTF is that? AND yes many are extreme enabled and expect things. How many 23,24,25 year olds are still on mommy and daddy cell phone plans? I watch my kids go to college, hold down jobs, work all summer to pitch in for room and board and other college costs while all their friends parents are footing everything. Whatevs get off my lawn!

This makes zero sense...You ask a kid these days to change oil in a car or change a flat tire and they would not have a clue. What have they gone through? Most stare at their damn phones all day and can't even converse. They sit next to each other and are so lazy to engage in speaking that they send texts??? WTF is that? AND yes many are extreme enabled and expect things. How many 23,24,25 year olds are still on mommy and daddy cell phone plans? I watch my kids go to college, hold down jobs, work all summer to pitch in for room and board and other college costs while all their friends parents are footing everything. Whatevs get off my lawn!
Every generation thinks the next generation is lazy and worthless. It’s never true. Phones are how people get information and communicate now. I have no problems with talking to younger people when I need to and they work as a hard as anyone else.
The bizarre thing is that everyone says they work hard to make sure life is easier and better for their kids, then bitch when their kids have a better and easier life.

A few days ago they closed the beaches here in Florida. Today bars and restaurants are closed other than takeout. But in the long run it’s all meaningless if it is not all 50 states.

A national lockdown is going to require all 50 governors acting together. It’s not gonna come from the federal government. But it looks like real momentum has been generated at the state level. Thank God!

Last edited:
A few days ago they call close the beaches here in Florida. Today bars and restaurants are closed other than takeout. But in the long run it’s all meaningless if it is not all 50 states.

A national lockdown is going to require all 50 governors acting together. It’s not gonna come from the federal government. But it looks like real momentum has been generated at the state level. Thank God!
This is a Republic not a dictatorship so it is up to each state. If it were a dictatorship this could have happened: The Chinese gov't lied and destroyed evidence to let this spread. They lied to the WHO and claimed it wasn't spread person to person. Countries believed them so it spread around the world as a result. I talked to a Chinese woman, now an American citizen, and has parents in China; they say the Chinese citizens are infuriated at the communist party gov't for what they did. They welded doors shut in Wuhan until people died in those buildings with infected people. It is no wonder the people are angry with the leaders there.

Last edited:
This is first hand. My wife is considered "essential" to the day-to-day operation at Indianapolis Community North hospital so she goes in every morning and stays until there's nothing else that HAS to be done. Which means, she's still working 8 hrs a day, or more. Anyone who is not "essential" is there for a minimum amount of time and then required to leave when their task is finished. This is happening at all hospitals. As my wife says, "It's like a ghost town at work..." Once again, if the people who know the most about our health and well being are operating hospitals with the least number of workers they can... it's a deadly situation we're going through and NO one is safe, regardless of how healthy they might think they are. Again, stay at home... for everyone else, if not yourself. This will last many more months before we can go about our usual business.

This is a Republic not a dictatorship so it is up to each state. If it were a dictatorship this could have happened: The Chinese gov't lied and destroyed evidence to let this spread. They lied to the WHO and claimed it wasn't spread person to person. Countries believed them so it spread around the world as a result. I talked to a Chinese woman, now an American citizen, and has parents in China; they say the Chinese citizens are infuriated at the communist party gov't for what they did. They welded doors shut in Wuhan until people died in those buildings with infected people. It is no wonder the people are angry with the leaders there.
Massive centralized action is by no means inherently dictatorial. Also, this virus was always going to spread around the world. Our government has already lied more than the Chinese government has about the virus and all things relating to the virus. A good thing to note would be that ultimately China will have handled this crisis a million times better than us. But the disproportionate amount of your anger directed at the Chinese is very telling.

Last edited:
Massive centralized action is by no means inherently dictatorial. Also, this virus was always going to spread around the world. Our government has already lied more than the Chinese government has about the virus and all things relating to the virus. A good thing to note would be that ultimately China will have handled this crisis a million times better than us. But the disproportionate amount of your anger directed at the Chinese is very telling.

And you essentially giving the Chinese government a pass is also quite telling.

To say "Also, this virus was always going to spread around the world." is rampant speculation at best. If they would have reacted properly, from what I have read, the virus could have been stopped right there. The Chinese have HUGE culpability in this and I am mad as hell I couldn't go visit my Mother on her 102 birthday and this virus might cost her not seeing 103.

That said, the American government has nothing to brag about. This talk lately about getting back to normal by Easter is irresponsible, IMO. I understand giving people hope but I think Americans can handle the truth and most are saying this won't be over until much later.

Who should be allowed to die? For those who think it would be noble for their parents or grandparents to take a bullet.

Last edited:

To say "Also, this virus was always going to spread around the world." is rampant speculation at best. If they would have reacted properly, from what I have read, the virus could have been stopped right there. The Chinese have HUGE culpability in this and I am mad as hell I couldn't go visit my Mother on her 102 birthday and this virus might cost her not seeing 103.

That said, the American government has nothing to brag about. This talk lately about getting back to normal by Easter is irresponsible, IMO. I understand giving people hope but I think Americans can handle the truth and most are saying this won't be over until much later.
Easter may be opitmistic, but I see no reason not to shoot for that as a goal. At least some easing, if not total lifting of the quarantine.

What I heard was Trump saying some parts of the economy may open back up. I'd like to see some targeting quarantining, rather than shutting the entire country down. I don't see that as an unreasonable goal.

My anger, I reported on Chinese citizens' anger and not the lies put out by the communist party you seem to be buying into.

Easter may be opitmistic, but I see no reason not to shoot for that as a goal. At least some easing, if not total lifting of the quarantine.

What I heard was Trump saying some parts of the economy may open back up. I'd like to see some targeting quarantining, rather than shutting the entire country down. I don't see that as an unreasonable goal.

perhaps you could give us an exact number of what you think acceptable losses are, so that your inconvenience is minimized.

Let's keep in mind that this thread is supposed to be civil and non-political. It's starting to drift toward political and non-civil and will be locked if it continues that way.

Reactions: 76-1 and Al Bino
What I heard was Trump saying some parts of the economy may open back up.
What Trump actually said was, "I think Easter Sunday and you'll have packed churches all over our country, I think it would be a beautiful time. And it's just about the timeline I think is right." The President is generally a bit incoherent on his statements, but I'm pretty sure that if he thinks we can "pack churches" we can probably send everyone back to work. He's already speaking about COVID-19 in the past tense.

What Trump actually said was, "I think Easter Sunday and you'll have packed churches all over our country, I think it would be a beautiful time. And it's just about the timeline I think is right." The President is generally a bit incoherent on his statements, but I'm pretty sure that if he thinks we can "pack churches" we can probably send everyone back to work. He's already speaking about COVID-19 in the past tense.

Personally, I think D.T. has just made a huge mistake with his Easter timeline (on multiple levels).

It appeared that he had finally just gotten all the state governments on board with social distancing and even self quarantining to a degree... Now he's put himself completely at odds with his original message...

We already had a percentage of the young completely blowing off the social distancing and with this "hoped for" April 12th date they'll be a lot of businesses feeling comfortable in compelling employees to come back to work and with individuals feeling the same way... :(

Here we "almost" had a coherent approach to dealing with this and it just appeared (to me) that he blew it up (and I don't have D.T. Syndrome, I want the guy to succeed in dealing with this crisis)...:confused:

My "earliest" hoped for return date would be Memorial Day if splitting the difference between heath and safety versus the economy Has to be an early decision (and personally, I think that's too early too)...

Reactions: Chriselli
Personally, I think D.T. has just made a huge mistake with his Easter timeline (on multiple levels).

It appeared that he had finally just gotten all the state governments on board with social distancing and even self quarantining to a degree... Now he's put himself completely at odds with his original message...

We already had a percentage of the young completely blowing off the social distancing and with this "hoped for" April 12th date they'll be a lot of businesses feeling comfortable in compelling employees to come back to work and with individuals feeling the same way... :(

Here we "almost" had a coherent approach to dealing with this and it just appeared (to me) that he blew it up (and I don't have D.T. Syndrome, I want the guy to succeed in dealing with this crisis)...:confused:

My "earliest" hoped for return date would be Memorial Day if splitting the difference between heath and safety versus the economy Has to be an early decision (and personally, I think that's too early too)...
I tend to agree. Until there is a vaccine or a treatment, there will continue to be spark forest fires of this globally. Which is ironic, because President Trump recommended that we sweep/rake the forests to prevent forest fires. So maybe he just knows things others haven't thought of yet.

In all seriousness, I'm supposed to get married in late July and we have no idea what to do.

There has to be an end point somewhere down the line. There's no denying that. The country can't survive on shutdown forever. And there's some truth to the notion that a 2nd Great Depression could result in a great deal of harm from a health standpoint and could also cause unknown thousands of deaths. But at this point, we're comparing it to the projections that without any distancing actions, we'd be looking at millions dead in the USA. So I'm on board with what we're doing now.

What's the ideal point to come back out? I have no clue.

I'd like to see just about everyone get tested, those positive (to find the asymptomatic & mild folks) go into self-quarantine for 3 weeks to be safe, and then get back in the world. I'm assuming this is like most viruses where you gain immunities after having it and you're not a danger to spread it. Maybe the infectious disease folks should weigh in on this.

As it is, I'm afraid a too early "re-start" of life is going to lead to more flare ups and eventual bad outcomes and economic pain. At any rate, when everything opens back up there's going to be some social distancing (conscious or subconscious) going on for quite some time.

Reactions: Chriselli and 76-1
I tend to agree. Until there is a vaccine or a treatment, there will continue to be spark forest fires of this globally. Which is ironic, because President Trump recommended that we sweep/rake the forests to prevent forest fires. So maybe he just knows things others haven't thought of yet.

In all seriousness, I'm supposed to get married in late July and we have no idea what to do.

Welp, if you wanted a cosmic thumbs up or down on getting married, a global plague is a pretty solid sign. Don't say you weren't warned.

Seriously though, my best friend is having the same issue (his was in May, postponed already). They're considering getting hitched legally so they can have their anniversary but will reschedule the ceremony & reception. I don't envy the brides out there. Wouldn't trade places with the grooms for all the tea in China.

Reactions: 76-1

I just had to send a wedding RSVP response in the negative to a long time family friend for an April wedding. Gotta say it irritates me to have been put in that position by the couple and their immediate families...

My advice: do your family and friends a huge favor and elope. Don't force them to make a choice between you and their either becoming ill or spreading illness...

All that said, hopefully the country will see some sort of miracle by mid-June...,but I'm not holding my breath on that.

I think we'll be dealing with this in some degree for another full year.

I hope I'm Very wrong about that timeline...

My anger, I .reported on Chinese citizens' anger and not the lies put out by the communist party you seem to be buying into.

I'm not giving the Chinese government a pass. I just refuse to embrace the blatant nationalism that so many of you are willing to indulge in. I don't know what you are reading, but you can't stop a virus with this level of communicability.

I'm not giving the Chinese government a pass. I just refuse to embrace the blatant nationalism that so many of you are willing to indulge in. I don't know what you are reading, but you can't stop a virus with this level of communicability.

You sure as hell can't stop it when you do the denial and diversion that the Chinese government did. Deny, deny, deny and then accuse the American military of bio warfare after it was evident that they fumbled the ball.

With the power that the government has in that country, if they would have jumped on it early there is little reason that it could not have been contained.

I don't know what "nationalism" you are referring to when it come to my post. The Chinese screwed the pooch and our government did not really do their job either.

Reactions: DANC and 76-1
I just had to send a wedding RSVP response in the negative to a long time family friend for an April wedding. Gotta say it irritates me to have been put in that position by the couple and their immediate families...

My advice: do your family and friends a huge favor and elope. Don't force them to make a choice between you and their either becoming ill or spreading illness...

All that said, hopefully the country will see some sort of miracle by mid-June...,but I'm not holding my breath on that.

I think we'll be dealing with this in some degree for another full year.

I hope I'm Very wrong about that timeline...

A friend of mine who is turning 80 and is much younger than his age told me yesterday that he is canceling his 80th birthday party. I told him that was a smart decision. He said well actually it wasn’t that smart. It was that everybody said they weren’t coming.

He’s a bright guy but he only watches Fox News and still doesn’t really grasp the severity of the situation. I don’t mean that as a slam. It’s the truth. I mentioned in another post that he’s losing a shirt in the stock market because hi is convinced that this is going to be a short term deal. What the hell is a 79-year-old man doing getting into the stock market.

ADVERTISEMENT