ADVERTISEMENT

Post-game thoughts

Yes it is period. Some of the posts today are dumb.

1. If anyone thought we were gonna stymie a Lane Kiffin offense your smokin crack. These guys scored 48 against Bama.

2. The coaches called a fine game IMO. We could not get to that QB fast enough no.matter what we dialed up and their offense is tough to stop. Sheridan was fine it wasnt the play calling

3. Tuttle does not go through his progressions like Penix. He locks on and locked on all day to Whop. Hendershot was wide open several times and he didnt get a glance. That left us easy to defend and stopped us. It wasnt play calling it was a lack of running the offense to its capabilities. Our offense can be complex and you need more than a game manager to run it.
Penix has been out for 6 weeks.

It's just that simple.
The whining and bellyaching from disloyal, fair weather fans is disgusting.
These guys overachieved IN SPADES this year by sticking together and never giving up!
The few batch moaners won't ruin the awesome, gutty performances from the players and staff this season...one which will lead to greater success next season..
Thank you team .
Thank you CTA.
Thank you Kane Wommack.
Best of luck in your new opportunity.
Thank you Fred Glass.
You got this one right.
Who are the "disloyal, fair weather fans" you're referring to?

IU lost today to a 4-5 team with the worst - - worst as in "dead last" worst - - - total defense in the country. It shouldn't have required a star QB to beat them. If you're offended by fair criticism following a very bad loss, maybe you should take your disgust somewhere else.

Who's "Womack"? Did you mean Coach Wommack, who is departing to take a head coaching job? Furthermore, where did you get the idea that our QB had a separated shoulder? That was never disclosed on the TV broadcast, although there was discussion of an injury.

In the pressers, CTA said Tuttle separated his shoulder and then later Tuttle said he separated it early in the game.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Who's "Womack"? Did you mean Coach Wommack, who is departing to take a head coaching job? Furthermore, where did you get the idea that our QB had a separated shoulder? That was never disclosed on the TV broadcast, although there was discussion of an injury.

If you're really going to complain about spelling in a post you're douche. But you also didn't realize Tuttle separated his shoulder, so maybe you should STFU.

I attended today's game (Section 311). It was great to be outside on a warm January afternoon with lots of friendly Hoosier fans. Raymond James Stadium does a nice job with events, and this was no exception. That's about it for the positive comments.

This was the third IU bowl game I've attended (Insight, Gator, and now Outback). I'm 0 for 3, and am thinking of changing my name from Bowlmania to Bowlmiserable.

There were many possible developments and outcomes I contemplated before the game began, but I never expected to see such a shitty IU offense. There's plenty of blame to go around, from Sheridan on down. I'll leave it at that. I will add, though, that I'm fervently hoping for Michael Penix's full and speedy recovery.

I'm sure I'll get blowback on what I'm about to say, but that's ok. Today's outcome takes much of the luster off this season. Yes, we beat some traditional Big Ten powers, got a trifecta by beating Penn State, Michigan and Wisconsin in the same season, and achieved a lofty national ranking. But, when we had the chance to put an exclamation point at the end of what was looking like a very special season, we shit the bed.

Maybe I should have waited to post because this is still pretty raw and I'm not mincing words. This was a bad loss to a mediocre team that rarely plays defense. Putting up only 20 points was inexcusable.

in some respects, this loss bothers me more than last year's fourth quarter collapse in Jacksonville. Maybe we shouldn't play on January 2 in Florida anymore. Maybe this team wasn't quite as good as we (or they) thought. Maybe next year . . .
It depresses me to no end as it feels like same old same old after what was a really fun, surprising season. I struggled to find people interested in getting together to watch this game today and told my stepson I just didn't understand why. At the most frustrating point of the game I turned to him and said, "This is why." The outcome, and maybe more so the way we got there, felt just too familiar and really took alot of the shine off what felt like a different season. In the end, I am left feeling like nothing different truly happened here and next year we will all come back to earth and I will, yet again, have trouble finding people who want to watch IU football with me. I hope I am wrong, but I doubt it.

If you've spent your time and money to go to Bowl games to support the Hoosiers, you've definitely earned the right to say what you want here and not have to worry about blowback.

I actually find myself feeling a little bit the same as you. It's not as if this game isn't part of this season. And this game....SUCKED...

The announcers on television (which you probably didn't hear) kept talking about how our coaching staff was treating this like our "Super Bowl" and at one point even said something like CTA spent more time prepping this game than any other game in his career.......and then we get that turd of an effort....

It is easy to point out the positives of the year (historic wins, etc) and it's fair and right to do so. That being said, we just finished off a year by losing a winnable game to a middle of the pack SEC team, largely due to very questionable in-game coaching decisions, AGAIN. I think it's fair to say that.

Anyway, safe travels back. Go Hoosiers!

If the bolded is true, it explains a lot for me.

Should have prepared no differently than they did all year.

As bummed as I am, I did get a good chuckle about JT not going thru progressions - how many can you go thru in .5 seconds with 2 defenders in your face....he did have some time in the 2nd half,but no separation by WR’s...throwing with a separated shoulder didn’t help...

Who are the "disloyal, fair weather fans" you're referring to?

IU lost today to a 4-5 team with the worst - - worst as in "dead last" worst - - - total defense in the country. It shouldn't have required a star QB to beat them. If you're offended by fair criticism following a very bad loss, maybe you should take your disgust somewhere else.
They watched tape on Tuttle. If you lock on one receiver how hard is it to stop that? Plus we have NEVER run a tricky rpo. Its predictable and boring as hell. Penix can run the progressions and Tuttle cant

Upon further review, I have to modify one of the impressions I had Watching the game. Based upon the first half, I thought Mississippi would dominate time of possession and number of Plays run. I maintain they did so, and kept our Defense on the field much more than they should have been in the first half. However, we had 35 Minutes of Possession to 25 for them. We ran 85 Plays to 82 by them.

I know statistics are for losers and I take no solace from this. However, i was surprised that the impression I had initially was that far off target.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and td75
No, but it is a very big part of it. Penix is the only injured player that mattered yesterday.
Run the damned ball. OM hadn't been able to stop anyone on the ground all year, and yesterday was no exception. Scott was getting 3-4 yds every time he touched the ball. Then, in the final drive, the team could have run its way to a game-winning score but there was no sense of urgency, with clock getting eaten between plays. We advanced to the 35 but, with the clock winding down, Tuttle then had to throw and we saw how that turned out.

This game pretty much erased any achievements leading up to it. I think it wiped out any momentum we had going into this week as well.
Next year is a blank slate (again) and feels like we are starting over and with guys that will leave early and others surely to be in the portal,it’s going to feel like a rebuild here. Look at what happened to Minnesota.

The game definitely does not erase beating PSU, Mich, Mich St and Wiscy in the same year. Your mommy needs to give you a popsicle and set you down to watch some calming Sesame Street so you can't get your shit back together. For many years we'll be saying "remember the last time we beat all of them in the same season?" and you'll have forgotten who we played in the Covid Bowl.

The guy that coached the defende that allowed 26 points to the a top 5 offensive efficiency offense in the country?

All yall blaming the defense are ridiculous. Offensive playcalling was bad but so was Tuttle. He's absolutely unable to go through is progressions.
IU's defense gave up running yards too easily . . . and we didn't counter with a running game of our own.

I said before the game that IU ought to play a ball-control game to keep the ball away from OM's offense. I still believe that strategy would have proved successful.

If Allen spent more time on prepping this game plan, then he's been overthinking it. It really wasn't a hard game to figure out.

I attended today's game (Section 311). It was great to be outside on a warm January afternoon with lots of friendly Hoosier fans. Raymond James Stadium does a nice job with events, and this was no exception. That's about it for the positive comments.

This was the third IU bowl game I've attended (Insight, Gator, and now Outback). I'm 0 for 3, and am thinking of changing my name from Bowlmania to Bowlmiserable.

There were many possible developments and outcomes I contemplated before the game began, but I never expected to see such a shitty IU offense. There's plenty of blame to go around, from Sheridan on down. I'll leave it at that. I will add, though, that I'm fervently hoping for Michael Penix's full and speedy recovery.

I'm sure I'll get blowback on what I'm about to say, but that's ok. Today's outcome takes much of the luster off this season. Yes, we beat some traditional Big Ten powers, got a trifecta by beating Penn State, Michigan and Wisconsin in the same season, and achieved a lofty national ranking. But, when we had the chance to put an exclamation point at the end of what was looking like a very special season, we shit the bed.

Maybe I should have waited to post because this is still pretty raw and I'm not mincing words. This was a bad loss to a mediocre team that rarely plays defense. Putting up only 20 points was inexcusable.

in some respects, this loss bothers me more than last year's fourth quarter collapse in Jacksonville. Maybe we shouldn't play on January 2 in Florida anymore. Maybe this team wasn't quite as good as we (or they) thought. Maybe next year . . .

This was an extremely good year that ended on a sour note. I can count on one maybe 2 fingers the years that this program has had that would stack up to this in my 42 years on this planet.

Yesterday sucked but one game should not determine the outlook on an entire season. This was a double digit win team in a normal year. A team that beat Michigan, Penn State, and Wisconsin. The first of that list not being something that had been done since I was in elementary school. After decades of futility, this program is showing signs of life.

We bring back a ton next year. This program is showing some growth. People need to stay the course.

This was an extremely good year that ended on a sour note. I can count on one maybe 2 fingers the years that this program has had that would stack up to this in my 42 years on this planet.

Yesterday sucked but one game should not determine the outlook on an entire season. This was a double digit win team in a normal year. A team that beat Michigan, Penn State, and Wisconsin. The first of that list not being something that had been done since I was in elementary school. After decades of futility, this program is showing signs of life.

We bring back a ton next year. This program is showing some growth. People need to stay the course.

But in a normal year you may have to beat a team with a winning record to win double digit wins. Allens teams have certainly not proven they can do that consistently. But good luck tp your program.

But in a normal year you may have to beat a team with a winning record to win double digit wins. Allens teams have certainly not proven they can do that consistently. But good luck tp your program.

What is it with you? You are on this board constantly with no significant input. Are you lost or looking for validation? When you beat Bama, come back here and talk up all the shit you want. Have at it. If you lose, your future posts will get you all the shit you deserve and then some.. Honestly: what compels you to post here? Is it a deep rooted psychological issue with you?
What is the connection to IU football or IU in general?

Add 2 to 3 wins to every opponent we played. It is rare for Big Ten teams to enter conference play with more than 1 loss. We played 7 conference games. We would have played Purdue and Iowa. Iowa was a toss up but I think we beat Purdue. So say in conference we are probably 7-2 at worst. Our preconference schedule is usually pretty weak. We usually go 3-0 in those games. I suppose we could have been 2-1 so I am thinking 9-3 in an absolute worst case scenario.

COVID hurt our games against winning programs. Before the Big Ten changed the rules again, Ohio State had exactly 1 game against a winning program (Indiana) and did manage to pull it out. I think OSU was the best team in the conference, but you all needed a rule change to get Northwestern. It is not like the OSU schedule was full of winning programs this year either...and that was because of COVID. Unless you believe that the entire BIG east outside of Ohio State and Indiana would have had losing records in a normal year? Also, Wisconsin was 2-1 when we played them and finished 4-3. I lay money they would have at least been 8-4 in a normal year.

Ohio State has a good team, but you can buzz right off with trying to downplay what Indiana accomplished this year.

We gave up over 500yds to a team without their top 3 recievers and 1 RB. Enough said about our vaunted defense
In all fairness to our defense, we had not faced an offense with that kind of pace and I watched the Alabama-Ole Miss game and the Tides defense was sucking wind late in the game. If the Ole Miss center had not snapped one off of his butt late in the game, the Rebels were poised to tie up the game again. They had to settle for a field goal and Bama pulled out the win. They had the best team in the land in trouble in that game. I am surprised that we could not put pressure on their qb, but Corral is very good.

As bummed as I am, I did get a good chuckle about JT not going thru progressions - how many can you go thru in .5 seconds with 2 defenders in your face....he did have some time in the 2nd half,but no separation by WR’s...throwing with a separated shoulder didn’t help...
There were plays he stood back there with plenty of time. Penix looks off 2 receivers and gets to his 3rd target all the time. If Tuttle was that lame why didnt we stick the kid from Georgia in??

Last edited:
While I previously posted my disappointment about the outcome of the game yesterday, that disappointment has no bearing on the terrific season IU had this year. I enjoyed every second of it; even the loss to the buckeyes was an exciting game. I was at the game in Miami (FIU) when Penix made his first start for IU and everyone there knew he was something special. Games like yesterday remind us just how special he is; his ability to scan the field and get the ball to open receivers (even under extreme pressure) is unique. MP will be back and the future of IU football is well beyond what it has been in perhaps forever; in terms of maintaining a consistently competitive team year in - year out. Go Hoosiers !!!

While I previously posted my disappointment about the outcome of the game yesterday, that disappointment has no bearing on the terrific season IU had this year. I enjoyed every second of it; even the loss to the buckeyes was an exciting game. I was at the game in Miami (FIU) when Penix made his first start for IU and everyone there knew he was something special. Games like yesterday remind us just how special he is; his ability to scan the field and get the ball to open receivers (even under extreme pressure) is unique. MP will be back and the future of IU football is well beyond what it has been in perhaps forever; in terms of maintaining a consistently competitive team year in - year out. Go Hoosiers !!!
Yes, the future is bright! That's what I'm choosing to focus on as well. I'm just as disappointed as the next guy with the bowl game result, but big picture looks pretty stout!!

If Kevin Wilson was correct about a dynamic QB being needed, then Indiana is in high cotton with MP, McCulley and the kid from Georgia is no slouch. We should trot out a competitive defense with TA being boss...Future's bright from my vantage point.

We are a good team that was missing its star QB. That’s why we lost. Tuttle is just not at Penix’s level.
That’s true, but even if Penix had been playing I think their offense could’ve easily kept pace. The offense sucked yesterday, but the defense also laid an egg and couldn’t seem to slow a team whose top offensive players were missing. Good lord, their backup QB played receiver for the first time ever and had some big receptions.

in some respects, this loss bothers me more than last year's fourth quarter collapse in Jacksonville. Maybe we shouldn't play on January 2 in Florida anymore. Maybe this team wasn't quite as good as we (or they) thought. Maybe next year .

Said on another site. "IU don't write a check with your mouth if your ass can't cash it."

Hoosiers rushing game is ranked number 11 in the Big Ten this year averaging just over three yards per carry. A top-10 program that is unable to run the ball?

That's stat speaks volumes as to how good the defense was this year.

Last edited:
Hoosiers rushing game is ranked number 11 in the Big Ten this year averaging just over three yards per carry. A top-10 program that is unable to run the ball?

That's stat speaks volumes as to how good the defense was this year.
I don't disagree, but we found the run game Saturday against a team with a bad rushing D, yet we had our QB - - with a separated shoulder - - throw the ball 45 times. Amazing.

What is it with you? You are on this board constantly with no significant input. Are you lost or looking for validation? When you beat Bama, come back here and talk up all the shit you want. Have at it. If you lose, your future posts will get you all the shit you deserve and then some.. Honestly: what compels you to post here? Is it a deep rooted psychological issue with you?
What is the connection to IU football or IU in general?
He now perceives IU as a competitive threat to O$U. And he's showing his insecurities . . . .

We gave up over 500yds to a team without their top 3 recievers and 1 RB. Enough said about our vaunted defense
So basically IU defensive coaches were flying blind. They had no way of knowing previous tendencies because those guys were not there. They did not know the new guys strengths or weaknesses. They did not know who Kiffin would look to on money downs. If you paid much attention this year you would have noticed that Wommack strength was in preparation knowing what the other team was going to do in certain situations. Hence we were always playing catch up but we did come up with stops when we had to have them. Calling defense is not guessing or being lucky it is scouting and preparation. I don’t know how many times I have sat in my brothers office and watched my brother call a defense while watching scout video. Kiffin took a negative and turned it into a positive.

They watched tape on Tuttle. If you lock on one receiver how hard is it to stop that? Plus we have NEVER run a tricky rpo. Its predictable and boring as hell. Penix can run the progressions and Tuttle cant
Here we go with the old Tuttle only looks at one receiver bs. Stop playing couch qb coach the quick throws to to Whop are not not ready plays they are desperate to get the ball into your supposedly best playmaker s hands as quickly as possible . Unfortunately he was not able to make plays he was unable to break free for the homerun. Those throws have nothing to do with locking in on one receiver.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC
So basically IU defensive coaches were flying blind. They had no way of knowing previous tendencies because those guys were not there. They did not know the new guys strengths or weaknesses. They did not know who Kiffin would look to on money downs. If you paid much attention this year you would have noticed that Wommack strength was in preparation knowing what the other team was going to do in certain situations. Hence we were always playing catch up but we did come up with stops when we had to have them. Calling defense is not guessing or being lucky it is scouting and preparation. I don’t know how many times I have sat in my brothers office and watched my brother call a defense while watching scout video. Kiffin took a negative and turned it into a positive.
Schemes are schemes and routes are routes. Does not matter who is running them. We were ill prepared IMO

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT