ADVERTISEMENT

Post-game thoughts

Bowlmania

All-American
Sep 23, 2016
I attended today's game (Section 311). It was great to be outside on a warm January afternoon with lots of friendly Hoosier fans. Raymond James Stadium does a nice job with events, and this was no exception. That's about it for the positive comments.

This was the third IU bowl game I've attended (Insight, Gator, and now Outback). I'm 0 for 3, and am thinking of changing my name from Bowlmania to Bowlmiserable.

There were many possible developments and outcomes I contemplated before the game began, but I never expected to see such a shitty IU offense. There's plenty of blame to go around, from Sheridan on down. I'll leave it at that. I will add, though, that I'm fervently hoping for Michael Penix's full and speedy recovery.

I'm sure I'll get blowback on what I'm about to say, but that's ok. Today's outcome takes much of the luster off this season. Yes, we beat some traditional Big Ten powers, got a trifecta by beating Penn State, Michigan and Wisconsin in the same season, and achieved a lofty national ranking. But, when we had the chance to put an exclamation point at the end of what was looking like a very special season, we shit the bed.

Maybe I should have waited to post because this is still pretty raw and I'm not mincing words. This was a bad loss to a mediocre team that rarely plays defense. Putting up only 20 points was inexcusable.

in some respects, this loss bothers me more than last year's fourth quarter collapse in Jacksonville. Maybe we shouldn't play on January 2 in Florida anymore. Maybe this team wasn't quite as good as we (or they) thought. Maybe next year . . .

I attended today's game (Section 311). It was great to be outside on a warm January afternoon with lots of friendly Hoosier fans. Raymond James Stadium does a nice job with events, and this was no exception. That's about it for the positive comments.

This was the third IU bowl game I've attended (Insight, Gator, and now Outback). I'm 0 for 3, and am thinking of changing my name from Bowlmania to Bowlmiserable.

There were many possible developments and outcomes I contemplated before the game began, but I never expected to see such a shitty IU offense. There's plenty of blame to go around, from Sheridan on down. I'll leave it at that. I will add, though, that I'm fervently hoping for Michael Penix's full and speedy recovery.

I'm sure I'll get blowback on what I'm about to say, but that's ok. Today's outcome takes much of the luster off this season. Yes, we beat some traditional Big Ten powers, got a trifecta by beating Penn State, Michigan and Wisconsin in the same season, and achieved a lofty national ranking. But, when we had the chance to put an exclamation point at the end of what was looking like a very special season, we shit the bed.

Maybe I should have waited to post because this is still pretty raw and I'm not mincing words. This was a bad loss to a mediocre team that rarely plays defense. Putting up only 20 points was inexcusable.

in some respects, this loss bothers me more than last year's fourth quarter collapse in Jacksonville. Maybe we shouldn't play on January 2 in Florida anymore. Maybe this team wasn't quite as good as we (or they) thought. Maybe next year . . .

If you've spent your time and money to go to Bowl games to support the Hoosiers, you've definitely earned the right to say what you want here and not have to worry about blowback.

I actually find myself feeling a little bit the same as you. It's not as if this game isn't part of this season. And this game....SUCKED...

The announcers on television (which you probably didn't hear) kept talking about how our coaching staff was treating this like our "Super Bowl" and at one point even said something like CTA spent more time prepping this game than any other game in his career.......and then we get that turd of an effort....

It is easy to point out the positives of the year (historic wins, etc) and it's fair and right to do so. That being said, we just finished off a year by losing a winnable game to a middle of the pack SEC team, largely due to very questionable in-game coaching decisions, AGAIN. I think it's fair to say that.

Anyway, safe travels back. Go Hoosiers!

With everything on the line, we failed miserably and played completely contrary to what we did all year. I like the staff but today they shit the bed big time. Tittle was a problem....and they should have run the ball more. Throwing out to Whop so that he could go in reverse was terrible and he killed us with the fumble. Couldn’t rush the QB. Played stupid zone coverage.
This was a game that when we tied it up, I knew Ole Miss would march right down the field.

Reactions: vesuvius13

Sheridan and Womack shit the bed. That's all there is to it. Both sides of the ball we're damn embarrassing. 23 2nd half pass attempts with a QB that has a separated shoulder all while our RBs are GASHING Ole Miss D.

That's absolutely criminal.

And Womack had zero answer. None.

I completely agree with Bowlmania. This was an embarrassing performance. Coaching and players, strategy and execution all very poor. We have the opportunity to stake our claim as a legitimate top 10 team who has turned the corner and will be a force to be reckoned with in the B10 and potentially nationally. Instead we lay a total turd playing uninspired, poor football.

How can the team come out this flat with such a lackluster effort? We just regressed and gave back a lot of what we earned this season.

The defense was a joke. Completely unprepared against up tempo. Why? Inexcusable. We let them push us all over the field and they are missing 75% of their offense!

Our offense was pathetic. No imagination in playcalling and weak execution. No run game against a below average defense! Turnovers to boot.

The last drive was just precious. Could we be any more confused and sloppy on the last few plays?

Really, really disappointing effort. We should have been prepared better, coached better and certainly played better.

Just back from the game and I too must be cautious about posting while emotions are high. Still, can't hold back from saying this was one of the most disappointing IU games I've ever attended (likely because I was so looking forward and expecting a good IU showing). From the opening kick IU seemed flat and unprepared. I knew Ole Miss could put up points and overall the D held them to nearly half their average. However, the IU offense was abysmal. Last year at the Gator Bowl the IU fans were outnumbered 2 to 1. Today, there were many more IU fans in attendance than Ole Miss and our team left us very little for which to celebrate throughout the game. Coach Allen is a terrific coach but he does not appear to yet have the experience to prepare a team for bowl play.

I'm glad i didnt pay for my ticket. Real downer on a season. Was a must win game imo to keep the momentum going. Reading the clippings, Ole M didnt want to be there. IU highing fly and angry. One could argue IU was exposed. Just a piss poor effort against a 4-5 team missing most of their offense. D-line is junior college level. Ole boy had all day back there.

Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye
It was the non-throwing shoulder, but still.....
Fortunately I have never had a separated shoulder or major injury of that type in my playing days, The knee slap response is if it his non-throwing shoulder, it shouldn't affect your your throwing accuracy. I only coached football at the 5th and 6th grade level. but I spent a lot of time working with our Backs and Quarterbacks. One thing people don't realize is that your Off arm provides some balance based upon where you position as you get into throwing position, In addition most people rotate their weight and upper body as the throw the ball. If you have an injury to your Off Shoulder you can't get the movement you are used to in order to rotate your upper Body and you shorten your rotation to protect your Off Shoulder. That causes accuracy problems, much like not shifting your Weight Forward and throwing off your Back Foot.

Reactions: TominDallas
Sheridan and Womack shit the bed. That's all there is to it. Both sides of the ball we're damn embarrassing. 23 2nd half pass attempts with a QB that has a separated shoulder all while our RBs are GASHING Ole Miss D.

That's absolutely criminal.

And Womack had zero answer. None.
Who's "Womack"? Did you mean Coach Wommack, who is departing to take a head coaching job? Furthermore, where did you get the idea that our QB had a separated shoulder? That was never disclosed on the TV broadcast, although there was discussion of an injury.

No, he meant Womack, the coach that shit the bed. Quit being a dick.
The guy that coached the defende that allowed 26 points to the a top 5 offensive efficiency offense in the country?

All yall blaming the defense are ridiculous. Offensive playcalling was bad but so was Tuttle. He's absolutely unable to go through is progressions.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
The explanation isn't nearly that simple.
It's just that simple.
The whining and bellyaching from disloyal, fair weather fans is disgusting.
These guys overachieved IN SPADES this year by sticking together and never giving up!
The few batch moaners won't ruin the awesome, gutty performances from the players and staff this season...one which will lead to greater success next season..
Thank you team .
Thank you CTA.
Thank you Kane Wommack.
Best of luck in your new opportunity.
Thank you Fred Glass.
You got this one right.

This game pretty much erased any achievements leading up to it. I think it wiped out any momentum we had going into this week as well.
Next year is a blank slate (again) and feels like we are starting over and with guys that will leave early and others surely to be in the portal,it’s going to feel like a rebuild here. Look at what happened to Minnesota.

• Haha
The guy that coached the defende that allowed 26 points to the a top 5 offensive efficiency offense in the country?

All yall blaming the defense are ridiculous. Offensive playcalling was bad but so was Tuttle. He's absolutely unable to go through is progressions.
First, I was quoting someone else on another topic. Second, that Offense was missing most of it's starting skill players, so previous rankings with those players is immaterial. In my view that was by far the worst defense by this IU team this year. Third, the offense was also noted in the original post as being crappy as well.

First, I was quoting someone else on another topic. Second, that Offense was missing most of it's starting skill players, so previous rankings with those players is immaterial. In my view that was by far the worst defense by this IU team this year. Third, the offense was also noted in the original post as being crappy as well.

Their offense is more about the coaching than players. Kiffin is one of the best offensive minds in the game.

Also Ole Miss has the 3rd highest pace in the country. Running more plays will lead to more possessions/points

• Haha
Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye
Their offense is more about the coaching than players. Kiffin is one of the best offensive minds in the game.

Also Ole Miss has the 3rd highest pace in the country. Running more plays will lead to more possessions/points
Yes and we have them 2 extra possessions.

This game pretty much erased any achievements leading up to it. I think it wiped out any momentum we had going into this week as well.
Next year is a blank slate (again) and feels like we are starting over and with guys that will leave early and others surely to be in the portal,it’s going to feel like a rebuild here. Look at what happened to Minnesota.

Lighten up, Francis.

Ala Kevin Wilson. Still any team worth its salt still managed to beat him.

You just brought Kevin Wilson up.

I'm actually not even sure what you are arguing with me about.

I guess this is why they tell you to never argue with stupid.
That was my thought as well. I will leave it at this, the offense was terrible and the defense was slightly less terrible. Wommack had his head on two places and it showed. I appreciate the loyalty but both parties would have been better served if he would have been gone.

The explanation isn't nearly that simple.
Yes it is period. Some of the posts today are dumb.

1. If anyone thought we were gonna stymie a Lane Kiffin offense your smokin crack. These guys scored 48 against Bama.

2. The coaches called a fine game IMO. We could not get to that QB fast enough no.matter what we dialed up and their offense is tough to stop. Sheridan was fine it wasnt the play calling

3. Tuttle does not go through his progressions like Penix. He locks on and locked on all day to Whop. Hendershot was wide open several times and he didnt get a glance. That left us easy to defend and stopped us. It wasnt play calling it was a lack of running the offense to its capabilities. Our offense can be complex and you need more than a game manager to run it.

ADVERTISEMENT