ADVERTISEMENT

Post game presser question

He has the best TO percentage of all our guards and by a huge amount. He's at 14%, which is acceptable range for a combo guard.. the rest are 18, and Phin is at 23, which are horrible for guards and especially horrible for a PG.

TO percent should never be over usage regardless of position. DG's is the only one who isn't among our four guards.

He may just have louder TO's or they may be unforced or look worse that others.. but the TO machine this year .. is not him.
The Iowa game is a good example. Green had 3 turnovers while Phin had 5. But of those 3 turnovers, I remember 2 of them distinctly since they were very poor alley-oop attempts. His turnovers tend to be more flashy and are therefore more memorable compared to Phin dribbling the ball off his foot out of bounds.

That said, in his bad games some of Green's shots are so terrible that they are basically turnovers even though they don't count as such.

Reactions: UncleMark
]
The Iowa game is a good example. Green had 3 turnovers while Phin had 5. But of those 3 turnovers, I remember 2 of them distinctly since they were very poor alley-oop attempts. His turnovers tend to be more flashy and are therefore more memorable compared to Phin dribbling the ball off his foot out of bounds.

That said, in his bad games some of Green's shots are so terrible that they are basically turnovers even though they don't count as such.
Forgot to mention, in conference games only Green is at 20%, which is pretty bad. Want see PG around 12, combos around 15 or under.

Phinisee is the big surprise here.. last year he was exceptional having 10% in conference. He's basically doubled his TO output. His usage went up only 3%, but TO jumped 13%.

Last edited:
Reactions: Radio Zero
I'm sure DG would like to know too.

In my humble opinion it all has to do with real confidence with yourself. Green lacks it. He seems to be a player that if he hits the first couple, then he is going to have a good, possibly great game. If he doesn't, he'll disappear.

You see this a lot in baseball. The good players can grind, because they know it's a matter of waiting out the pitcher. He may be 0-3 with three strike outs. The truly confident player knows he is just that much likely to get a hit the next time up. If next two ABs are hits he went 2-5 and had a good game. Players lacking in real confidence dwell on the misses... causing them to go into large slumps.

Or, it could just be that he comes to some games high which effects his decision making and focus.

Great final paragraph! Made me snort Coke Zero out my nose!

Reactions: mk23 and wi_hoosier
Reporter asked devonte where he goes when he has bad games like Purdue. Completely took Devonte by surprise. His answer was “being inconsistent”. Devonte also asked reporter to elaborate, reporter said no you elaborate. Then awkward silence.

Kind of surprised reporter asked this of devonte.

Good game Hoosiers

As a former sportswriter, I would have asked the same question. After all, members of the media are supposed to be objective. When I covered IU football, I once asked IU's quarterback a question after he had a poor game. He refused to answer it, so I informed him that we had given him great coverage when he had good games and he owed it to us to answer our questions. He paused for a moment and then answered my question.

As a former sportswriter, I would have asked the same question. After all, members of the media are supposed to be objective. When I covered IU football, I once asked IU's quarterback a question after he had a poor game. He refused to answer it, so I informed him that we had given him great coverage when he had good games and he owed it to us to answer our questions. He paused for a moment and then answered my question.
Owed it to you? Now that’s funny. Kind of a similar smart ass response to a player that Doyle had. The player should of told you to shove it up your ass and that he didn’t need your “great coverage”. F the media dbags

Devonte's not in Junior High. He's a 23 year old man.
The question was not a bad question. The question was asked with sincerity.
It was an adult question, unlike most of the softballs that are lobbed during these press conferences.
Devonte's inability to articulate a reasonable response is what made it uncomfortable. In many ways, his non-answer answered the question perfectly.
These guys aren't china dolls, he'll be OK. Nice game Devonte. Here's your ticket to get your treat at the concession stand.
Doyle was a dick. Let him be a smart ass to a grown ass man. See what happens.

Owed it to you? Now that’s funny. Kind of a similar smart ass response to a player that Doyle had. The player should of told you to shove it up your ass and that he didn’t need your “great coverage”. F the media dbags
The player should have told McNutt to shove it up his ass? Hmmm. That wouldn’t have ended well for the player....

Jerry you have been sniffing too much copy toner, you idiot

Phinisee is the big surprise here.. last year he was exceptional having 10% in conference. He's basically doubled his TO output. His usage went up only 3%, but TO jumped 13%.

Is Phin still dealing with injury? Keep hearing something about an abdominal issue, but he looked like he was moving good on the court Thursday.

I think Doyel is typically a really good guy. He asks the hard questions most of the patsies in this state are afraid to ask. He usually speaks for US. That said, Devonte wasn't the only one taken aback by this exchange. Watch Race and Trayce. Both cringed. Pretty sure Doyel would handle it differently if he could take it back. Other than that, I am really curious if Devonte (or anyone else associated with this team) knows what happens to him when he absolutely falls apart in a game. It's always been incredible to me how he can be the best player for both teams in the same game sometimes. And the very next two handed pass he makes might very well be the first one I've ever seen him make.

Finally, this team will only go as far as Devonte takes them. That's a scary proposition for a coach fighting for his job.

I think what happens is that he just takes really bad, difficult shots, and most often, they aren't going in. To me, it was the difference between Kobe and Michael. Kobe used his incredible athleticism to take, and generally make, difficult shots no one else could. It was fabulous and amazing, but they weren't necessarily good shots. Michael used his equally awesome athleticism to get by people and get better shots. If Devonte could understand he needs to take good shots within the offense, and that he can work off screens and cuts to put himself in position to earn those good shots, he might be one of the better shooters in the conference and certainly our best. Instead, he takes difficult shots and most games, they don't go in. Kobe he ain't!

I think what happens is that he just takes really bad, difficult shots, and most often, they aren't going in. To me, it was the difference between Kobe and Michael. Kobe used his incredible athleticism to take, and generally make, difficult shots no one else could. It was fabulous and amazing, but they weren't necessarily good shots. Michael used his equally awesome athleticism to get by people and get better shots. If Devonte could understand he needs to take good shots within the offense, and that he can work off screens and cuts to put himself in position to earn those good shots, he might be one of the better shooters in the conference and certainly our best. Instead, he takes difficult shots and most games, they don't go in. Kobe he ain't!
Not saying you’re wrong, because the guy certainly makes the game 100 times harder than it really has to be, but if it’s as simple a fix as “be like Mike, not like Kobe” wouldn’t you think Arch could get that thru his head? I honestly think Doyel was attempting to get Green to explain what goes on in his head. That answer might not exist.

]

Forgot to mention, in conference games only Green is at 20%, which is pretty bad. Want see PG around 12, combos around 15 or under.

He’s injured dude even I’ll admit that

Not saying you’re wrong, because the guy certainly makes the game 100 times harder than it really has to be, but if it’s as simple a fix as “be like Mike, not like Kobe” wouldn’t you think Arch could get that thru his head? I honestly think Doyel was attempting to get Green to explain what goes on in his head. That answer might not exist.

It's not simple because I don't think he understands what a good shot is. He thinks if he gets hot, he'll make them, so that to him is a good shot. If it was as simple as saying don't commit crimes, we'd have no criminals. The problem is not the message, it's the recipient. He hears the coaches telling him to take good shots, and in his mind when he's shooting, he's taking good shots. And, every 5-6 games, he makes them as proof.

It's not simple because I don't think he understands what a good shot is. He thinks if he gets hot, he'll make them, so that to him is a good shot. If it was as simple as saying don't commit crimes, we'd have no criminals. The problem is not the message, it's the recipient. He hears the coaches telling him to take good shots, and in his mind when he's shooting, he's taking good shots. And, every 5-6 games, he makes them as proof.
You would think in practice (I’m assuming they practice) he is told “Devonte that’s not a good shot” maybe not....maybe all they practice is the 50th rated packline....

Reactions: mk23 and Radio Zero
No they are not China dolls you are correct. They are human, don’t matter if your paid or not you deserve to be talked to with respect. So tired of punks in the media skirting all ethics because they have a press pass. Then Tools like you make excuses for them.
Yeah, must be "the media's" fault. How dare they ask questions. Stupid.

He sized me up before replying and he knew I wasn't afraid of him. No athlete or coach was ever rude to me face-to-face because most of them realized I was a tough guy.

Apparently, you don't know anything about journalism. Journalists frequently have to ask tough questions. I normally would save those for the end of my interviews.

I'm not the typical 66 1/2 year old. I exercise almost every day. Of course, I haven't had a fight since my junior year at IU. That was a little bit more than 45 years ago.
Good on you! Good to hear you’re keeping fit at your age. Keep it up.

Well said HoozierD. I've been frustrated for the most part all season with Devonte's inconsistency and particularly his turnover numbers. Still, he gave IU a huge lift in a critical game tonight and the question by that reporter after one of Devonte's best games was uncalled for . . . "let him enjoy the victory". Even Coach Miller described Devonte's off nights as a lack of consistency.
I guess you would call it being a dick but it’s a simple question and he has 10+ bad games to every one good game. I hate when people call a 22 year old a kid. I mean 18 year olds go into the military every year and I guess we call them kids. Get that bs out of here.

I'm not the typical 66 1/2 year old. I exercise almost every day. Of course, I haven't had a fight since my junior year at IU. That was a little bit more than 45 years ago.

Your reputation preceded you. The world beheld your stare and wanted no part of it!

It's a shame Jim Croce passed away, after Bad Leroy Brown and Don't Mess Around with Jim, Don't Even Think About McNutt would have been a natural follow up!

Last edited:
Boxing club? Amateur (or professional) boxer? Alley brawler, out back of a bar?

I did some professional fighting (it was similar to cage fighting) when I was a sophomore at IU. Somehow, an adult had heard about me and said he would pay me if I would fight for him on weekends at a sandbar in Medora.

I needed the money, so I accepted the offer. After about three weekends, I was undefeated and had become a fan favorite. Most of the spectators were betting on me to win my fights every time.

One Friday evening, my manager told me that I was going to have to intentionally lose my fight that night as he was driving me to Medora. He said a friend of his had bet a lot of money on my opponent and they were going to split the winnings after I lost.

Once the fight began, I decided not to lose and pummeled my opponent for the win. My manager was so mad at me afterward that he refused to drive me back to Bloomington that night. It's been so long that I forget how I made it back to McNutt Quad, but I refused to participate in that league again.

Reactions: Brockway
I did some professional fighting (it was similar to cage fighting) when I was a sophomore at IU. Somehow, an adult had heard about me and said he would pay me if I would fight for him on weekends at a sandbar in Medora.

I needed the money, so I accepted the offer. After about three weekends, I was undefeated and had become a fan favorite. Most of the spectators were betting on me to win my fights every time.

One Friday evening, my manager told me that I was going to have to intentionally lose my fight that night as he was driving me to Medora. He said a friend of his had bet a lot of money on my opponent and they were going to split the winnings after I lost.

Once the fight began, I decided not to lose and pummeled my opponent for the win. My manager was so mad at me afterward that he refused to drive me back to Bloomington that night. It's been so long that I forget how I made it back to McNutt Quad, but I refused to participate in that league again.
Nice.

Good story, and I appreciate you telling it. I kept wondering about all these allusions to McNutt being the forum’s baddest dude, but now I know.

Frankly, it almost sounds like it’s a movie. Just before “Fin,” we see you in silhouette walking down a dirt road in the direction of Bloomington, late at night, alone. Maybe Dylan’s “Positively 4th Street” plays.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT