ADVERTISEMENT

Post game presser question

ericrossiu

Junior
Dec 1, 2009
Reporter asked devonte where he goes when he has bad games like Purdue. Completely took Devonte by surprise. His answer was “being inconsistent”. Devonte also asked reporter to elaborate, reporter said no you elaborate. Then awkward silence.

Kind of surprised reporter asked this of devonte.

Good game Hoosiers

Reporter asked devonte where he goes when he has bad games like Purdue. Completely took Devonte by surprise. His answer was “being inconsistent”. Devonte also asked reporter to elaborate, reporter said no you elaborate. Then awkward silence.

Good game Hoosiers
He was a dick. Hope he was called out after it was over.

Well said HoozierD. I've been frustrated for the most part all season with Devonte's inconsistency and particularly his turnover numbers. Still, he gave IU a huge lift in a critical game tonight and the question by that reporter after one of Devonte's best games was uncalled for . . . "let him enjoy the victory". Even Coach Miller described Devonte's off nights as a lack of consistency.

Reactions: largemouth
Devonte's not in Junior High. He's a 23 year old man.
The question was not a bad question. The question was asked with sincerity.
It was an adult question, unlike most of the softballs that are lobbed during these press conferences.
Devonte's inability to articulate a reasonable response is what made it uncomfortable. In many ways, his non-answer answered the question perfectly.
These guys aren't china dolls, he'll be OK. Nice game Devonte. Here's your ticket to get your treat at the concession stand.

It was an adult question, unlike most of the softballs that are lobbed during these press conferences.
Devonte's inability to articulate a reasonable response is what made it uncomfortable. In many ways, his non-answer answered the question perfectly.
These guys aren't china dolls, he'll be OK. Nice game Devonte. Here's your ticket to get your treat at the concession stand.
No they are not China dolls you are correct. They are human, don’t matter if your paid or not you deserve to be talked to with respect. So tired of punks in the media skirting all ethics because they have a press pass. Then Tools like you make excuses for them.

The premise of the question was fine, we all have it...the execution was clumsy and poor. Confrontational to say the least. That was Devonte at the table not Danny.
The response was clumsy and poor but the question was legit. Green needs time to reflect on his own cocky behavior when he has his one focused good game per month and then acts like he is Westbtook in the postgame presser, but then does not score for the next two weeks. Hopefully this jolts Green into reality and keeps him more focused and consistent to end his career at IU. The cocky towel draped over his head like Lebron came down after that question. And he was more humble after that. Here's hoping Green stays more focused and plays like this every game from now on.

You think it was asked with malice? I didn’t see it; this is an honest question.
The question was oddly phrased to start with. Doyel's response after Devonte asked him to elaborate is what made it hostile. The kid that hasn't had much success and confidence lately. You could tell it bothered Devonte and had nothing to do with the game.

Doyel shouldn't be allowed to ask a question the rest of the year.

No they are not China dolls you are correct. They are human, don’t matter if your paid or not you deserve to be talked to with respect. So tired of punks in the media skirting all ethics because they have a press pass. Then Tools like you make excuses for them.
He was talked to with respect. It was a man to man question with the kid gloves removed, but the question was asked with respect. He even softened the question by praising Devonte's offensive skill. Again, it was Devonte's inability to answer the question that made it uncomfortable.

Reactions: Radio Zero

Good game Hoosiers

My question is............why hasn't any reporter asked a tough, 'pointed' question of CAM in 3 years? Better him than DG.

What do you want him to say? How do you answer a question like that? Well sometimes I want my shot to be off and so I just score a few points? There is no answer to that question and Gregg knows it.

The response was clumsy and poor but the question was legit. Green needs time to reflect on his own cocky behavior when he has his one focused good game per month and then acts like he is Westbtook in the postgame presser, but then does not score for the next two weeks. Hopefully this jolts Green into reality and keeps him more focused and consistent to end his career at IU. The cocky towel draped over his head like Lebron came down after that question. And he was more humble after that. Here's hoping Green stays more focused and plays like this every game from now on.
That’s it. I’m pretty sure a question by a reporter is what is going to make Devonte reflect and finish the year strong and consistent. Nothing the coaches can do, they were just waiting for a reporter to ask the question. I’ve never heard of a towel being cocky. But I’m getting ready to hop in the shower, so I’ll see if mine is feeling cocky or subdued today and report back.

What do you want him to say? How do you answer a question like that? Well sometimes I want my shot to be off and so I just score a few points? There is no answer to that question and Gregg knows it.
I don't care how he answers it. If he wants to open up and give a detailed answer about why he struggles to be consistent, that's fine. If he doesn't want to open up, and just gives a canned answer, that's fine too. The mumbling, incoherent answer he gave made it uncomfortably. I hope he finishes his career on a fiery roll.

Here's the result:
BLOOMINGTON – The problem with IU basketball freshman Trayce Jackson-Davis is that he’s almost always good, and he almost never disappears. Maybe if he was a little less consistent — less dependable, more of a mystery — he’d get more attention. Maybe if he was more like, say, Devonte Green.

Don’t look at me that way. Am I being mean to Devonte Green? Nah. Fair isn’t mean. Honest isn’t mean. And anyway, today is no time to be mean to IU basketball. The Hoosiers beat No. 17 Iowa, and even if the Hawkeyes came into the game with seven available scholarship players and left it with six, a win is a win is a win, especially for an IU team that had lost its past four games to fall uncomfortably close to the bursting side of the NCAA tournament bubble.

Today is a day to celebrate the Hoosiers after an 89-77 win. So I’m going to celebrate the one Hoosier who always brings it, the one Hoosier — the only Hoosier — IU coach Archie Miller can be reasonably sure will play well every single time. His name is Trayce Jackson-Davis, the 6-9 freshman power forward from Center Grove. You’re aware of this, right?
And you’re aware that TJD is being taken for granted this year, right?

Let me show you. Let me prove it.

Well, no. First, let’s talk about Devonte Green. Everyone else is. But nobody’s going to do it like this.

So good, so bad, so Devonte
Green went off in the first half. He was sensational. He came into the game with the Hoosiers trailing 9-6, and in 2½ minutes he scored 12 points and had two assists and a steal. Just like that, IU leads 31-16 and this game is over. The Hawkeyes never get within single digits again.

On Twitter, everyone was loving them some Devonte Green. His brother was here, Danny Green of the Los Angeles Lakers, and that was cool. Also cool, I guess, is the mercurial manner in which Green plays. And by that I mean: He can be great, or he can stink. In one four-game stretch earlier this season, Green scored 18 points against Maryland, one against Rutgers, 19 against Ohio State and zero against Nebraska.

In the past five games: He had 16 in the second game against Maryland, then four against Penn State. He had 13 against Ohio State and then three against Purdue.

And then 27 on Thursday night against Iowa.

The first question of the postgame news conference was for Green. And the second. The third question was for Trayce-Jackson Davis … about Devonte Green. The fourth question was for Green. That’s how it went, with people wanting to know about playing in front of his brother, about getting into the zone, about hunting his shots.

I asked him a different question, and even told-slash-warned him: Devonte, I’m going the other way. Where do you go, I was asking him, when you don’t have a game like this? The Purdue game is an example, I’m telling him.

Green didn’t understand the question.

He said: “Can you elaborate?”

Sure. I mentioned his feast-or-famine tendencies, told him he has NBA offensive talent, said he was too good to have games with three points, two, one, zero …

Now he understands.

“Inconsistency,” he said. “Inconsistency. I just …”

Green pauses. I don’t think he understands why he’s being asked this question after he has scored 27 points. He’s not making the connection, and I get this, that he’s never brought into the interview room when he goes scoreless. He comes in here only when he goes bonkers. So this is my time, my only time, to ask the question that has come to define the IU season: Where does Green go when he’s not great, dragging the Hoosiers down with him?

Anyway, he’s ready to finish his answer.

“I don’t really know how to answer that,” he said. “I get inconsistent if things are inconsistent.”

Miller was more illuminating about Green’s inconsistency, saying Green can get “lethargic and down on himself,” and noting that “he doesn’t have that fire where he comes out (determined to improve) the next day. I wish he had that.”

“We don’t have time for that,” Miller was saying about Green’s occasional disappearances. “(He can be) one of the best players in the country. (But) you look back on some games and you say: Where was he?”

Anyway, enough about that. Devonte Green was great, and everyone saw it. He wasn’t lethargic, wasn’t down on himself. For spurts of this game, he was one of the best players in the country.

But Trayce Jackson-Davis was great, too. Nobody seemed to notice.

And that ticks me off, to be honest with you.

TJD is great, and you're missing it
In the best basketball conference in the country — and the Big Ten is the best, by a large margin — Trayce Jackson-Davis is the league’s best freshman. And that, too, is not close. He came into the game leading Big Ten freshmen in scoring (13.8 ppg), field-goal shooting (59.6%) blocked shots (1.9), and free throws made (94) and attempted (132). He was second in rebounding (7.9).

Jackson-Davis will be the league’s Freshman of the Year — he has earned the Big Ten Freshman of the Week four times this season — but the story here isn’t a lifetime achievement award. The story here is that he was similarly good (if not better) on Thursday night, too: 17 points, 10 rebounds, two blocks, two assists and a steal.

And nobody noticed. Nobody in the postgame news conference, with almost every question about Devonte Green, and nobody on Twitter, either. Is Twitter the perfect analysis of what a fan base or a city is thinking? Of course not. But in real time, it’s as good as we’ve got. And this is what we got on Thursday night: Six of the top 10 trending topics in Indianapolis were about the game, and not one was about Trayce Jackson-Davis.

Devonte Green was the No. 1 topic. Iowa’s Luka Garza (who was sensational: 38 points, eight rebounds, four blocks) was No. 4. Also in the top 10 were Race Thompson (who scored 10 points) and Jerome Hunter (who had a technical) and Assembly Hall (which had thousands of empty seats).

People talk about what they talk about, and nobody’s talking about Jackson-Davis, the freshman from Center Grove who was dunking and smearing Iowa shots like bugs against the glass. He was stealing the ball late with Iowa trying to rally, and — wait a minute. There’s a big man locally trending on Twitter in the final moments of the game, and it’s …

Oh. It’s Steven Adams of the Oklahoma City Thunder. Apparently he threw in a shot from midcourt and then did a sad little attempt at a shimmy. People thought it was cute, I guess.

Trayce Jackson-Davis gets double-doubles — this was his sixth of the season — and shoots nearly 60% and blocks shots and rebounds and brings it, really brings it, every game.

His consistency isn’t cute, I guess.

Even if it is the best thing about the 2019-20 IU basketball team.

Find IndyStar columnist Gregg Doyel on Twitter at @GreggDoyelStar or at www.facebook.com/gregg.doyel.

My question is............why hasn't any reporter asked a tough, 'pointed' question of CAM in 3 years? Better him than DG.
Doyel is the print version of Dakich. Both are always looking for attention to get people to listen or read their articles. We are talking about a journalist instead of a great shooting performance by a player that has been playing bad. Doyel asked an odd question and then was a dick after Devonte clearly wasn't sure what he meant.

Good game Hoosiers
Saw it in real-time. Reporter should have his credentials pulled.

There ya go. Whether one thinks the players are kids or not, NOBODY says Coach AM is, and he’s getting paid more money per year than many people make in a lifetime. Coach can deal, as far as I’m concerned.

Here's the result:
BLOOMINGTON – The problem with IU basketball freshman Trayce Jackson-Davis is that he’s almost always good, and he almost never disappears. Maybe if he was a little less consistent — less dependable, more of a mystery — he’d get more attention. Maybe if he was more like, say, Devonte Green.

Don’t look at me that way. Am I being mean to Devonte Green? Nah. Fair isn’t mean. Honest isn’t mean. And anyway, today is no time to be mean to IU basketball. The Hoosiers beat No. 17 Iowa, and even if the Hawkeyes came into the game with seven available scholarship players and left it with six, a win is a win is a win, especially for an IU team that had lost its past four games to fall uncomfortably close to the bursting side of the NCAA tournament bubble.

Today is a day to celebrate the Hoosiers after an 89-77 win. So I’m going to celebrate the one Hoosier who always brings it, the one Hoosier — the only Hoosier — IU coach Archie Miller can be reasonably sure will play well every single time. His name is Trayce Jackson-Davis, the 6-9 freshman power forward from Center Grove. You’re aware of this, right?
And you’re aware that TJD is being taken for granted this year, right?

Let me show you. Let me prove it.

Well, no. First, let’s talk about Devonte Green. Everyone else is. But nobody’s going to do it like this.

So good, so bad, so Devonte
Green went off in the first half. He was sensational. He came into the game with the Hoosiers trailing 9-6, and in 2½ minutes he scored 12 points and had two assists and a steal. Just like that, IU leads 31-16 and this game is over. The Hawkeyes never get within single digits again.

On Twitter, everyone was loving them some Devonte Green. His brother was here, Danny Green of the Los Angeles Lakers, and that was cool. Also cool, I guess, is the mercurial manner in which Green plays. And by that I mean: He can be great, or he can stink. In one four-game stretch earlier this season, Green scored 18 points against Maryland, one against Rutgers, 19 against Ohio State and zero against Nebraska.

In the past five games: He had 16 in the second game against Maryland, then four against Penn State. He had 13 against Ohio State and then three against Purdue.

And then 27 on Thursday night against Iowa.

The first question of the postgame news conference was for Green. And the second. The third question was for Trayce-Jackson Davis … about Devonte Green. The fourth question was for Green. That’s how it went, with people wanting to know about playing in front of his brother, about getting into the zone, about hunting his shots.

I asked him a different question, and even told-slash-warned him: Devonte, I’m going the other way. Where do you go, I was asking him, when you don’t have a game like this? The Purdue game is an example, I’m telling him.

Green didn’t understand the question.

He said: “Can you elaborate?”

Sure. I mentioned his feast-or-famine tendencies, told him he has NBA offensive talent, said he was too good to have games with three points, two, one, zero …

Now he understands.

“Inconsistency,” he said. “Inconsistency. I just …”

Green pauses. I don’t think he understands why he’s being asked this question after he has scored 27 points. He’s not making the connection, and I get this, that he’s never brought into the interview room when he goes scoreless. He comes in here only when he goes bonkers. So this is my time, my only time, to ask the question that has come to define the IU season: Where does Green go when he’s not great, dragging the Hoosiers down with him?

Anyway, he’s ready to finish his answer.

“I don’t really know how to answer that,” he said. “I get inconsistent if things are inconsistent.”

Miller was more illuminating about Green’s inconsistency, saying Green can get “lethargic and down on himself,” and noting that “he doesn’t have that fire where he comes out (determined to improve) the next day. I wish he had that.”

“We don’t have time for that,” Miller was saying about Green’s occasional disappearances. “(He can be) one of the best players in the country. (But) you look back on some games and you say: Where was he?”

Anyway, enough about that. Devonte Green was great, and everyone saw it. He wasn’t lethargic, wasn’t down on himself. For spurts of this game, he was one of the best players in the country.

But Trayce Jackson-Davis was great, too. Nobody seemed to notice.

And that ticks me off, to be honest with you.

TJD is great, and you're missing it
In the best basketball conference in the country — and the Big Ten is the best, by a large margin — Trayce Jackson-Davis is the league’s best freshman. And that, too, is not close. He came into the game leading Big Ten freshmen in scoring (13.8 ppg), field-goal shooting (59.6%) blocked shots (1.9), and free throws made (94) and attempted (132). He was second in rebounding (7.9).

Jackson-Davis will be the league’s Freshman of the Year — he has earned the Big Ten Freshman of the Week four times this season — but the story here isn’t a lifetime achievement award. The story here is that he was similarly good (if not better) on Thursday night, too: 17 points, 10 rebounds, two blocks, two assists and a steal.

And nobody noticed. Nobody in the postgame news conference, with almost every question about Devonte Green, and nobody on Twitter, either. Is Twitter the perfect analysis of what a fan base or a city is thinking? Of course not. But in real time, it’s as good as we’ve got. And this is what we got on Thursday night: Six of the top 10 trending topics in Indianapolis were about the game, and not one was about Trayce Jackson-Davis.

Devonte Green was the No. 1 topic. Iowa’s Luka Garza (who was sensational: 38 points, eight rebounds, four blocks) was No. 4. Also in the top 10 were Race Thompson (who scored 10 points) and Jerome Hunter (who had a technical) and Assembly Hall (which had thousands of empty seats).

People talk about what they talk about, and nobody’s talking about Jackson-Davis, the freshman from Center Grove who was dunking and smearing Iowa shots like bugs against the glass. He was stealing the ball late with Iowa trying to rally, and — wait a minute. There’s a big man locally trending on Twitter in the final moments of the game, and it’s …

Oh. It’s Steven Adams of the Oklahoma City Thunder. Apparently he threw in a shot from midcourt and then did a sad little attempt at a shimmy. People thought it was cute, I guess.

Trayce Jackson-Davis gets double-doubles — this was his sixth of the season — and shoots nearly 60% and blocks shots and rebounds and brings it, really brings it, every game.

His consistency isn’t cute, I guess.

Even if it is the best thing about the 2019-20 IU basketball team.

Find IndyStar columnist Gregg Doyel on Twitter at @GreggDoyelStar or at www.facebook.com/gregg.doyel.

and, not surprisingly, he lets himself off the hook. The question was totally valid. What was wrong was the tone he asked it in. He totally misrepresented what he said and how he said it:

"...He (Green) said: “Can you elaborate?”

Sure. I mentioned his feast-or-famine tendencies, told him he has NBA offensive talent, said he was too good to have games with three points, two, one, zero …"

No, as soon as the confused Green asked him to elaborate, he retorted in a very combative (if I'm being nice, and dickish if I'm not) way: "NO, I need you to elaborate...!" His version leaves that out. Again, it wasn't the content, it was the delivery.

and, not surprisingly, he lets himself off the hook. The question was totally valid. What was wrong was the tone he asked it in. He totally misrepresented what he said and how he said it:

"...He (Green) said: “Can you elaborate?”

Sure. I mentioned his feast-or-famine tendencies, told him he has NBA offensive talent, said he was too good to have games with three points, two, one, zero …"

No, as soon as the confused Green asked him to elaborate, he retorted in a very combative (if I'm being nice, and dickish if I'm not) way: "NO, I need you to elaborate...!" His version leaves that out. Again, it wasn't the content, it was the delivery.
Gotcha. Thanks. Because I read the article and it seemed like a fairly reasonable exchange on both sides. But what you note changes my opinion.

I do, however, think Doyel was asking perhaps THE question being debated by fans, so I appreciate that.

Gotcha. Thanks. Because I read the article and it seemed like a fairly reasonable exchange on both sides. But what you note changes my opinion.

I do, however, think Doyel was asking perhaps THE question being debated by fans, so I appreciate that.

I agree, the article does make it sound reasonable. It was not (and I give credit to Doyle for asking a tough question, but he did it in a completely dickish manner). That's why it caused so many people to object.

Now if Doyle really wants to prove to us what a big pair he has, he should start asking more of those questions of our Coach. Oh wait, he'd probably embarrass you in front of your colleagues and get your credentials pulled. Guess they aren't that big, huh, Mr Doyle?

I find this board fascinating with regard to how a situation can be perceived so polar opposite by individuals.

You are misrepresenting and embellishing what he said. Doyle did not speak the word "no" and you go so far to quote him as saying "NO", in caps. I find the "!" you added at the end of your inaccurate quote interesting too. Your perception is overriding reality there.

Here's the press conference for those who haven't seen it. Start at the 3:00 mark. This will allow you to see that Devonte is very capable of coherently answering a question that he wants to answer.

https://www.insidethehall.com/2020/02/13/video-iu-players-react-to-win-over-iowa-2/

I find this board fascinating with regard to how a situation can be perceived so polar opposite by individuals.

You are misrepresenting and embellishing what he said. Doyle did not speak the word "no" and you go so far to quote him as saying "NO", in caps. I find the "!" you added at the end of your inaccurate quote interesting too. Your perception is overriding reality there.

Here's the press conference for those who haven't seen it. Start at the 3:00 mark. This will allow you to see that Devonte is very capable of coherently answering a question that he wants to answer.

https://www.insidethehall.com/2020/02/13/video-iu-players-react-to-win-over-iowa-2/
Thanks for the link.

I was just replying off what I saw and heard live. It was close to midnight, so I didn't do alot of evaluation of a PC... normally wouldn't even have watched except I was hyped. Watch the other players faces, especially Race's. Devonte can answer a question coherently, and I believe the reason he struggled was the tone of Doyle's question, put him on his heels. It was a bizarre question and watching live, you could feel the tension rise in the room noticeably. I was wrong, he said I need you to elaborate, but with his tone at the time, it sounded like "NO". You can parse words, but it is obvious to me rewatching everyone sensed what an odd way he asked the question and that he was going after Devonte at a very odd time and in a very odd way.

The question was from a place of genuine curiosity. It’s a question that we didn’t get an answer for either. How can you play like an NBA talent one night and score zero points another? Seriously Devonte, we would like to know. It’s a curious phenomenon.

I was just replying off what I saw and heard live. It was close to midnight, so I didn't do alot of evaluation of a PC... normally wouldn't even have watched except I was hyped. Watch the other players faces, especially Race's. Devonte can answer a question coherently, and I believe the reason he struggled was the tone of Doyle's question, put him on his heels. It was a bizarre question and watching live, you could feel the tension rise in the room noticeably. I was wrong, he said I need you to elaborate, but with his tone at the time, it sounded like "NO". You can parse words, but it is obvious to me rewatching everyone sensed what an odd way he asked the question and that he was going after Devonte at a very odd time and in a very odd way.
OK.

I think Doyel is typically a really good guy. He asks the hard questions most of the patsies in this state are afraid to ask. He usually speaks for US. That said, Devonte wasn't the only one taken aback by this exchange. Watch Race and Trayce. Both cringed. Pretty sure Doyel would handle it differently if he could take it back. Other than that, I am really curious if Devonte (or anyone else associated with this team) knows what happens to him when he absolutely falls apart in a game. It's always been incredible to me how he can be the best player for both teams in the same game sometimes. And the very next two handed pass he makes might very well be the first one I've ever seen him make.

Finally, this team will only go as far as Devonte takes them. That's a scary proposition for a coach fighting for his job.

I did not think the question was a bad question... but the reaction to when DG asked him to elaborate was.

Well said HoozierD. I've been frustrated for the most part all season with Devonte's inconsistency and particularly his turnover numbers. Still, he gave IU a huge lift in a critical game tonight and the question by that reporter after one of Devonte's best games was uncalled for . . . "let him enjoy the victory". Even Coach Miller described Devonte's off nights as a lack of consistency.
He has the best TO percentage of all our guards and by a huge amount. He's at 14%, which is acceptable range for a combo guard.. the rest are 18, and Phin is at 23, which are horrible for guards and especially horrible for a PG.

TO percent should never be over usage regardless of position. DG's is the only one who isn't among our four guards.

He may just have louder TO's or they may be unforced or look worse that others.. but the TO machine this year .. is not him.

The question was from a place of genuine curiosity. It’s a question that we didn’t get an answer for either. How can you play like an NBA talent one night and score zero points another? Seriously Devonte, we would like to know. It’s a curious phenomenon.

I'm sure DG would like to know too.

In my humble opinion it all has to do with real confidence with yourself. Green lacks it. He seems to be a player that if he hits the first couple, then he is going to have a good, possibly great game. If he doesn't, he'll disappear.

You see this a lot in baseball. The good players can grind, because they know it's a matter of waiting out the pitcher. He may be 0-3 with three strike outs. The truly confident player knows he is just that much likely to get a hit the next time up. If next two ABs are hits he went 2-5 and had a good game. Players lacking in real confidence dwell on the misses... causing them to go into large slumps.

Or, it could just be that he comes to some games high which effects his decision making and focus.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT